• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black Desert you still have to make an external account? I really want to play it, but that's not gonna happen...
Just use my Steam ID, what's the problem?

PS: also I play all games I buy, so no backlog...

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Thread Derailment; Trolling and a History of Similar Behavior
That...that isn't a monopoly. That's a form of distribution that is akin to PC gaming for some time now. Just like Epic with Metro...

Yo, I've been alive many years and I know what a monopoly is. No need to be condescending.

I'm not saying that Steam is a literal monopoly, I'm just saying there are a lot of people that "If it's not in steam, I won't buy it". Also, physical copies having codes for Steam.

It... really doesn't.

Read.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yo, I've been alive many years and I know what a monopoly is. No need to be condescending.

I'm not saying that Steam is a literal monopoly, I'm just saying there are a lot of people that "If it's not in steam, I won't buy it". Also, physical copies having codes for Steam.
I'm not being condescending, just correcting your proposition that a monopoly with regards to Steam is because physical copies of PC games have a Steam code. That is not a monopoly, at all, because PC games have been basically disc-less for a good few years and that it isn't just Steam but everybody else who has ever released a physical game from their storefront. Such assertion is wrong and I am correcting you on it.

Steam is not a literal monopoly, so then why say it is a monopoly but not literally? You can't figuratively state something while intending it to be literal. Developers have chosen in the past to put their games on Steam regularly due to the larger market, but it isn't stopping them going elsewhere and in fact that is shown as the case with other storefronts. A monopoly in typical business terms is a company who owns all avenues and has no competition, where that is not true because anyone can go against them. As has been discussed so much with the rise of Epic but it necessitates continual discussion over and over.

Also a person's opinion of buying on one platform over another doesn't constitute a monopoly. That is just a person's buying choice as their right to do so gives them. It is in the same vein as me not buying anything on Epic Store because I dislike their capitalistic practices and their literal monopoly tactics despite claiming to be anti-Steam "monopoly" over and over.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Read.

That's not a monopoly. It just means Steam is the best place to play PC games for many.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I'm not being condescending, just correcting your proposition that a monopoly with regards to Steam is because physical copies of PC games have a Steam code. That is not a monopoly, at all, because PC games have been basically disc-less for a good few years and that it isn't just Steam but everybody else who has ever released a physical game from their storefront. Such assertion is wrong and I am correcting you on it.

Steam is not a literal monopoly, so then why say it is a monopoly but not literally? You can't figuratively state something while intending it to be literal. Developers have chosen in the past to put their games on Steam regularly due to the larger market, but it isn't stopping them going elsewhere and in fact that is shown as the case with other storefronts. A monopoly in typical business terms is a company who owns all avenues and has no competition, where that is not true because anyone can go against them. As has been discussed so much with the rise of Epic but it necessitates continual discussion over and over.

Also a person's opinion of buying on one platform over another doesn't constitute a monopoly. That is just a person's buying choice as their right to do so gives them. It is in the same vein as me not buying anything on Epic Store because I dislike their capitalistic practices and their literal monopoly tactics despite claiming to be anti-Steam "monopoly" over and over.

All I'm saying is, why are physical releases directing me to a digital service? What happened with the "Hey I have a disc, I can play when I want"? It just bothers me.

What do you dislike about these "capitalistic practices"? The exclusivity?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've been thinking about that... It's true that Steam doesn't have a monopoly in the conventional sense, you can buy "Steam games" wherever and Steam doesn't see a cent (not 100% sure) but... Steam does have a DRM monopoly, you can only play many of the popular games using Steam as a platform, there is no choice at all.If you don't download their client, and make a "Steam account" you're screwed. Kinda like Sony has a "monopoly" on Sony games and likewise Microsoft with "Xbox" games.
Also it's different with consoles, you buy a *Sony* console and expect it only playing *Sony* games (which is true, they all say Sony regardless of dev or publisher)
You don't buy a"Steam PC", you just buy a PC (which does come with some limited choices admittedly )
So while that's debatable these are really monopolies, I think that's what people mean when they say monopoly, you *have* to be in their ecco system.

And I also think that's why people like to shill for the Epic store, it's "competition" the worst possible competition imaginable, but still competition - with the same policies and goals as Steam ironically.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Read.

Nah, this is completely off topic. Make a new thread and I will gladly and happily answer you there.

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All I'm saying is, why are physical releases directing me to a digital service? What happened with the "Hey I have a disc, I can play when I want"? It just bothers me.

What do you dislike about these "capitalistic practices"? The exclusivity?
Just a change of a digital future that PC gaming took. Many builds don't even factor in DVD players anymore and I stopped considering it when making one around 2008. Like with this sale, digital just provides an ease of access unlike physical but that isn't against physical as I buy such for my Switch because prices are cheaper. That is why you have things like this Steam Spring Cleaning, advocating to play your old games at the touch of a button due to digital nature.

With regards to your other question, I've mentioned it a lot before but quick summary is yes the exclusivity is something I disagree heavily with unless fully funded by the storefront or their own first party game. I do believe in their revenue split, and I want all storefronts to adopt that where possible as devs should be paid for their hard work. However, I believe that games should be available everywhere and that drives a pro-consumer mentality with competition from pricing or accessibility features.

So hugely gone off topic, sorry to others wanting to discuss the intended topic.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking about that... It's true that Steam doesn't have a monopoly in the conventional sense, you can buy "Steam games" wherever and Steam doesn't see a cent (not 100% sure) but... Steam does have a DRM monopoly, you can only play many of the popular games using Steam as a platform, there is no choice at all.If you don't download their client, and make a "Steam account" you're screwed. Kinda like Sony has a "monopoly" on Sony games and likewise Microsoft with "Xbox" games.
Also it's different with consoles, you buy a *Sony* console and expect it only playing *Sony* games (which is true, they all say Sony regardless of dev or publisher)
You don't buy a"Steam PC", you just buy a PC (which does come with some limited choices admittedly )
So while that's debatable these are really monopolies, I think that's what people mean when they say monopoly, you *have* to be in their ecco system.

And I also think that's why people like to shill for the Epic store, it's "competition" the worst possible competition imaginable, but still competition - with the same policies and goals as Steam ironically.

No, no. Dude up there is shuffling back and forth over what monopoly means because he doesn't care what it means. "Steam is a monopoly, thus X should happen." "Oh I didn't mean literal monopoly. I meant when steam codes are in boxes that you bought for the steam code inside when I said X should happen." It's nonsense.

You can actually do quite a lot of gaming on a pc without steam. Yes you would find yourself cut off from some games, but you would find the same if you limited yourself to just steam. It's not even close to a monopoly. As far as why publishers choose to only release on steam, you would have to ask them.

Last edited:

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
I think I must have missed this last year but have quite enjoyed seeing what it recommended me. I played some great games, old and new, that I hadn't intended to play yesterday as a result.

tS1ew3K.jpg

wGEZK6Q.jpg

NJUFxvH.jpg

I laughed. Mine was a bundle from before I moved to PC gaming so only had an integrated graphics laptop.

gPy0Z3Y.jpg

Luckily a tiny download!

Please, please keep the spring cleaning game selector tool thing year round. It's so great for when you just dont know what to play! I have no idea why it was removed after last years spring cleaning was over.

Yes please. The only addition I'd like is to be able to ask it to look at my full library or just installed games.

I played a few of my selections for yesterday.

nVoFFgw.jpg

Canabalt is still my favourite one button runner of all time, Cat Goes Fishing is still charming and Cook Serve Delicious is still the Dark Souls of Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing games.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Please, please keep the spring cleaning game selector tool thing year round. It's so great for when you just dont know what to play! I have no idea why it was removed after last years spring cleaning
It's been a part of Big Picture Mode for years.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar for the redesigned client.

Really? I never use Big Picture mode, that would sure be a great reason to do that! I tried googling quick but didn't see anything about a random game selector, do you know how to access it in Big Picture mode? I can filter games by "unplayed" (which has it's uses) but I was really looking for a feature just like "Spin Cycle". I used to use Backloggery fortune cookie to do something similar, but it was just too much busy work (for me) to keep my game library up to date by hand in that site.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying that Steam is a literal monopoly, I'm just saying there are a lot of people that "If it's not in steam, I won't buy it".

That's called the market deciding. Steam offers it's users so much that they refuse to accept something inferior. It's their choice to make, and it's no different than a console user choosing Xbox over PlayStation because they prefer it's features.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I wish this event lasted longer, I an ungodly busy and probably won't be able to touch this event much

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
100% agree on keeping the selector around. I desperately need a direction on what to play otherwise I end up in a situation of buying Skyrim on Switch despite owning it on PC. I haven't even finished Skyrim...

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I never use Big Picture mode, that would sure be a great reason to do that! I tried googling quick but didn't see anything about a random game selector, do you know how to access it in Big Picture mode? I can filter games by "unplayed" (which has it's uses) but I was really looking for a feature just like "Spin Cycle". I used to use Backloggery fortune cookie to do something similar, but it was just too much busy work (for me) to keep my game library up to date by hand in that site.
It's not 'press a button and play a random game' but there's a big list of categories, which list four games each, that are randomized when you open up the library view in BPM.
There's more categories than these, but this time I got:
  • Continue Playing
  • Just Updated
  • Popular Broadcasts
  • Popular among friends
  • Start something new
  • You haven't played these in a while
  • Achievement completionist
  • Get Some Cards
  • Cyberpunk games
  • Difficult games
  • Singleplayer games
  • Great Soundtrack games
  • Action games
  • Indie games
  • FPS games
  • Pixel Graphics games
  • Multiplayer games
  • Racing games
  • Platformer games
  • Shooter games
  • Adventure games
  • Sci-fi games
  • First-Person games
  • Time Manipulation games
  • Open World games
  • Simulation games
  • Survival games

Deleted member 53692

user requested account closure
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
France
Tip, if you can't download all games in time, because, like me, you have a low speed internet :

Download the famous Steam Achievement Manager, and launch games through that. You don't need to download games, SAM will launch them for you. You don't have to check achievements, it won't be messed by that. You can just double click on games Steam asks you to launch, see yourself instantly in game (while you're not really) and close. That way, in 2mins you're done.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this event lasted longer, I an ungodly busy and probably won't be able to touch this event much

Just use Steam Achievement Manager, you don't even have to download the games. You don't even need to fake unlock any achievements with the program, when you open up a game in SAM Steam thinks the game is running.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Tip, if you can't download all games in time, because, like me, you have a low speed internet :

Download the famous Steam Achievement Manager, and launch games through that. You don't need to download games, SAM will launch them for you. You don't have to check achievements, it won't be messed by that. You can just double click on games Steam asks you to launch, see yourself instantly in game (while you're not really) and close. That way, in 2mins you're done.
Wish I had seen this post before I downloaded 20 GB, lol. Still, thanks very much for this tip, it'll help out for the remaining daily tasks.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol "Clear the backlog" is only games I already played... Thankfully it still worked.

"Speed clean" was Don't starve together, since it's only 750MB, downloaded, started it up, deleted. Great game! Lol

"Can't wait" was Resident Evil 2 - which I didn't even start! Hah...

I'm really enjoying these events, the bugs make them even more fun imo! 2

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I forgot to do the tasks on day 2 and am now locked out of getting the gold badge. What dumb shit. This will forever bug me now.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I wish I didn't miss the day 1 events. Really bothers me, I didn't know this was a thing until day 2.

Also wondering what time the Day 4 tasks will start to pop. 3pm est?

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Done :) It kept telling me to replay Peggle, which I did not mind at all. I miss old Pop Cap :(