• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Steam was first introduced in September of 2003, over 15 years ago. Yesterday, the towering digital distribution service reached the milestone of one billion accounts, according to the website Steam ID Finder. The user "amusedsilentdragonfly" joined the service yesterday, April 28th. According to Steam ID Finder's statistics, this user's steamID3 (Steam has several identifiers for each account) is [U:1:1000000000], hence the one-billionth user. No prizes are involved, but it can be considered an important milestone unless you consider that there are millions of spam and scam accounts on the service

https://techraptor.net/content/steam-reaches-one-billion-accounts

Monthly Active User are 90 million
Concurrent User over time:
dJy3dVj.png

Last edited:

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Without downplaying this incredible achievement, I wonder how many CS GO cheater reroll there is out there. it must have gone down since they introduced the phone number requierement to play ranked, but I met people with 10 reroll a week to keep cheating the game

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of bots

Actually, I legitimately wonder how many bots there are. It seems like I get one trying to add me every week or so.

Oct 27, 2017
Without downplaying this incredible achievement, I wonder how many CS GO cheater reroll there is out there. it must have gone down since they introduced the phone number requierement to play ranked, but I met people with 10 reroll a week to keep cheating the game

Nah, I'm pretty sure 1 in 7 of the world's population has a Steam account.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
Wow, thats a crazy number. But yeah there are bound to be a lot of bots and inactive accounts. Nevertheless impressive

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Steam account too, but it's pretty much inactive. I only have a few games that I can run on my laptop.

What I'd love to see is the real number, which is the active users who have actually spent some money to buy games and actively play them. I remember they have 90 million or so last year.

Oct 26, 2017
but it can be considered an important milestone unless you consider that there are millions of spam and scam accounts on the service

Is that sarcasm? I doubt there are really 1 billion users in Steam, so yeah, it has to be dupe account and bot accounts, etc.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
What I'd love to see is the real number, which is the active users who have actually spent some money to buy games and actively play them. I remember they have 90 million or so last year.

47 million active daily users
90 million active monthly users are the last numbers

Concurrent peak User are 16 million

18.5 million, not 16. https://www.pcgamer.com/number-of-active-steam-users-passes-18-million-30-more-than-a-year-ago/

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
That is a lot of accounts :O

2 of those are mine, 1 when they forced steam upon us when they launched whatever version of CS and one several years afterwards when I forgot my account when I didnt play cs anymore :P

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's quite a lot but not the real number is obviously far lower.

I created mine September 16, 2003 and it's basically a Counter-Strike account.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need a phone number any more, you just need to pay for the prime upgrade now.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how many are real accounts where a real human once bought a game (Obv somewhere between 90M and 1B).

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Wonder how many are real accounts where a real human once bought a game (Obv somewhere between 90M and 1B).

At the end of 2017 ~275M Steam users had played a game through the service. 63M of those were new that year.

At that sort of growth rate, it could easily be ~350-400M now.

Obviously some games are F2P, but those are still "active" users.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
That's a lot of bots

Actually, I legitimately wonder how many bots there are. It seems like I get one trying to add me every week or so.

How are you guys getting bots? I know they exist, I got three in the last 11 years. Is it because I don't really play any of valves games or something? I mean I have dabbled but never stayed with any of them. I got TF2 items and some CSGO...

My profile is also public lol...so is inventory. I trade xD

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
How are you guys getting bots? I know they exist, I got three in the last 11 years. Is it because I don't really play any of valves games or something? I mean I have dabbled but never stayed with any of them. I got TF2 items and some CSGO...

My profile is also public lol...so is inventory. I trade xD
Same, I don't get a lot of bot exposure. I had one contact once which may or may not have been a bot, but otherwise nothing.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My younger brother just made an account a few weeks ago. He just uses my acc for games, but wanted to play a F2P game with me. I wonder who would've been 1 billion if it weren't for him, heh.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
1 billionth bot

Wow I remember I must have gotten Steam the day it came out I think.

Fuck it's been a while. Super nostalgic. It's been so long I don't even remember what it was like at first. No store IIRC? All I remember is CS 1.6 and HL2?

OP
OP

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Last edited:

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
interesting. as others noted there must be a lot of bots, but nonetheless the amount of active users is amazing - as are the amount of payments from non-standard sources. payments must be such a complex and fraught area to contend with.

last night i saw that spotify had 100 million paying subs with subs growing 32% year on year, which is mind boggling.

i guess the question becomes, is it really ok that these services are this big and this utterly dominant in their respective markets?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Last I heard, it was at roughly 300 million accounts. What happened? Is this a different measurement?

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
interesting. as others noted there must be a lot of bots, but nonetheless the amount of active users is amazing - as are the amount of payments from non-standard sources. payments must be such a complex and fraught area to contend with.

last night i saw that spotify had 100 million paying subs with subs growing 32% year on year, which is mind boggling.

i guess the question becomes, is it really ok that these services are this big and this utterly dominant in their respective markets?

90 Million is comparable to PSN numbers.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1 billion steam users is crazy, glad to see pc gaming growing at such an alarming rate.

That's essentially more than 10x the sales figure of PS4 isn't it. Nuts.

Oct 26, 2017
At the end of 2017 ~275M Steam users had played a game through the service. 63M of those were new that year.

At that sort of growth rate, it could easily be ~350-400M now.

Obviously some games are F2P, but those are still "active" users.

Do you have the source for that first figure? I'm curious from where it came. Google isn't helping.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Are there even that many crazy uncles in the world? hmmmm?

edit: Damn it, beaten by like an hour.

Last edited: