• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does this make you consider switching to Linux for gaming?

• Yes

Votes: 59 11.9%
  • I'm interested in leaving Windows but I'm stuck because X isn't supported (Anti-cheat, other)

Votes: 98 19.8%
  • No

Votes: 290 58.7%
  • I'm already using Linux for gaming

Votes: 47 9.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a great effort and result, I like it a lot as I only boot Windows to do taxes and banking, otherwise I'm Linux only.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I tried out Ubuntu maybe 3 months ago. Only after a couple hours the dock of GNOME bugged out (programs would not appear on the dock for maybe 30 seconds after opening and would not dissapear from the dock after 30-1m after closing it). I googled extensively and could not find a solution to that problem. Also the application window sometimes would not show me the utilities programs at random. I had to switch my audio device on every boot (there is not a "default device" option in the ubuntu audio device UI). I really want to give linux a fair chance but the out of box usability for a open source OS will just never reach the level of a commercial closed source one. OSes are just too complex with too many hardware configurations.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friend of mine is a Linux user and thanks to Proton I was able to play MH World with him (until Capcom fucked everthing up with a new patch, that got resolved by those working at Proton) and even FFXIV in the Non-Stream Version with him tricking around and that works really well.
So yeah, Kudos to Valve for doing this

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
dYGMvZ2.jpg

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I tried out Ubuntu maybe 3 months ago. Only after a couple hours the dock of GNOME bugged out (programs would not appear on the dock for maybe 30 seconds after opening and would not dissapear from the dock after 30-1m after closing it). I googled extensively and could not find a solution to that problem. Also the application window sometimes would not show me the utilities programs at random. I had to switch my audio device on every boot (there is not a "default device" option in the ubuntu audio device UI). I really want to give linux a fair chance but the out of box usability for a open source OS will just never reach the level of a commercial closed source one. OSes are just too complex with too many hardware configurations.
Try using Manjaro. I've a hate boner for Ubuntu because of things you just described in what is supposed to be the most user friendly Linux experience. I call it a lie.

OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
For a machine for gaming exclusively (think one of those Mini PCs), it's making it much more enticing to install Linux on it and save money on a Windows license with the added benefit of not having to run a heavy OS on the background.
I'm not sure how good it actually is as I haven't tried it but I've heard about GamerOS being a good distro with the focus of being a couch gaming OS, I might try that one day: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2020/03/31/5-reasons-why-this-linux-gaming-os-is-great-for-your-living-room

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
If Mac had this kind of support I would go to macOS without hesitation, but I don't like Linux on desktop. I've worked with it for years, and I wouldn't even want to touch it on my daily machine.

Nov 8, 2017
I've been pure Linux at home for the last 20 years, so it's great to see Linux finally getting some decent gaming support. That said, PC gaming doesn't really interest me much anyway, so I end up just playing on consoles.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Cool news. The only reason there is still a Windows machine operational in my house is because of some work-related applications that pretty much refure to run on anything else. As soon as there is an alternative for that then there is a fat chance i'm switching over.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Zero plans to switch to Linux but I'm really glad this work exists. It's good to have an alternative option to play most my library if Windows ever does something stupid.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm happy for people on linux but i'm not moving to linux. i've tried countless times and always something goes wrong. i'm quite happy just sticking to windows. it's not trouble free but in my experience it's much easier than dealing with linux.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I do not have any reason to leave Windows behind, but I really applaud the efforts here. Amazing stuff.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I can barely get used to MacOS after being a lifelong Windows user.
Unless Microsoft pulls some really heinous things, I don't see myself jumping to Linux.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost surreal how fast the whole thing is moving.

Kinda makes you wonder why Valve is investing so much into Linux .. other than, of course, they don't like being shackled to Windows. But why? Huh.

Such a tease :). My hope is that Valve will tackle PC gaming's last major disadvantage, the lack of an entry-level turnkey gaming box for the mainstream.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
It's incredible how we can now play new games that work most of the time out of the box.

I've bought a lot of new indie releases that ended up working pretty much flawlessly with no workarounds. That wasn't the case 5 months ago.

I can't wait to see their new steam machine revival, their game catalog is so huge that it seems like a no-brainer.

Nov 4, 2017
This is such great news! I don't think I'll even bother installing Windows on my next PC build. I'm so sick of being treated like a product rather than a customer.

Oh that reminds me. Ubuntu 20.4 is out tomorrow. I'm going to do a fresh install on my desktop.
Woohoo, new LTS day is like Christmas that comes every second year! I'm tempted to try the Deepin remix.

What is the best Linux for Steam?
There's so many Linux distros
I'd also suggest Ubuntu for a starting point, it's very user friendly and has a huge amount of support and documentation that's easy to digest. There are also a bunch of official "flavours" that allow you to have a desktop environment to suit your tastes. I personally prefer Xfce (i.e. Xununtu) as it's a very clean, traditional, low-resource interface. I've been using Ubuntu Budgie on my laptop, it's very pretty and modern. Vanilla Ubuntu is also fine.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
This is such great news! I don't think I'll even bother installing Windows on my next PC build. I'm so sick of being treated like a product rather than a customer.

Woohoo, new LTS day is like Christmas that comes every second year! I'm tempted to try the Deepin remix.

I'd also suggest Ubuntu for a starting point, it's very user friendly and has a huge amount of support and documentation that's easy to digest. There are also a bunch of official "flavours" that allow you to have a desktop environment to suit your tastes. I personally prefer Xfce (i.e. Xununtu) as it's a very clean, traditional, low-resource interface. I've been using Ubuntu Budgie on my laptop, it's very pretty and modern. Vanilla Ubuntu is also fine.
20.04 also adds Feral Interactive's GameMode by default.

CustĂłdio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, UnaĂ­/MG
At this point, the only thing stopping me from installing linux on my main computer is adobe lightroom and photoshop. There are some workaround to install old versions, but not the current subscription version it seems.

I already use linux on my laptop and on the company's PC.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While my primary will always be a windows machine, for secondary gaming rigs, proton seems to make using linux far more palpable.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Answered no but I support these efforts as friends use Linux for gaming and it's just awesome that Valve does this.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel I'm ready to ditch Windows just yet but I really like that this exists should a time come when I do feel the need to switch.

OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Last I tried this, it involved me doing command line fooey. I saw no benefit to jumping over if the process to play is more complicated. Even a little bit.
I think you can do most of the things without a terminal nowadays (unless you were talking about some workaround for a game?), but truthfully speaking I think that using a terminal does the job way faster than navigating a GUI.
Package manager for example, if I want to install chrome or a certain library, I could search up in the Software Store or whatever it's called, but I could also fire up my keyboard shortcut to open a terminal and get things done with it very quickly because I know exactly what I want and I don't need to navigate through a program.

The worst case scenario is to look up what's the name of the package online for my specific system, and that is - I think - still a better way of distributing software on computers. Resources on the web are very well indexed when you search correctly, it's very straightforward.

But I also know that it is a learning journey to use the terminal as a tool (especially if you come from Windows, I still think that its command line system is bad, but I might be too adjusted to UNIX, I couldn't say), as I said I don't think it's 100% mandatory but I think it's the better experience.

Anyway, if anyone is wanting to learn a bit more about the Linux world, I advise you to read this guide (of course not everything is needed to have a good comprehension of it): https://linuxjourney.com/

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018

Metal released: June 2014
First meeting to discuss creating Vulkan: July 2014.

Would love to have Vulkan on macOS so that this could be taken advantage of, or at least a port that used MoltenVK to translate it down, even with the performance costs. Maybe we'll get that once Proton on Linux is more mature.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a dedicated branch of Linux that is dedicated to gaming, while having the same user friendliness, flexibility, and low overhead of Pop!_OS. Oh wait...isn't Pop!_OS already like that?

The issue I have with Windows 10 is that things like Cortana and the Xbox app, and Microsoft Store integration make it feel really bloated.

I wish there's a version of Windows 10 that was as lean, efficient, and backwards compatible, not to mention stable as hell as Windows 8.1.

For now, my dream for a "to the metal" type OS lies in Linux. It's too bad SteamOS isn't as "out-of-the-box" as Pop!_OS is with its drivers, which would've no doubt contributed to a better adoption rate.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I play a lot more games since Proton released. Crazy how much it improved QoL

And to think, a lot of it is because someone really wanted to play Nier Automata on Linux :P
So, let's say you do want to play Nier Automata on Linux. Can you still use the FAR mod?

And if I want to play a Unity game on Linux, can I fix the frame-pacing with an RTSS equivalent?

Are all the Nvidia Control Panel options available? G-Sync? An equivalent of Nvidia Inspector?

Is HDR fully supported in those games that have it?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was a dedicated branch of Linux that is dedicated to gaming, while having the same user friendliness, flexibility, and low overhead of Pop!_OS. Oh wait...isn't Pop!_OS already like that?

The issue I have with Windows 10 is that things like Cortana and the Xbox app, and Microsoft Store integration make it feel really bloated.

I wish there's a version of Windows 10 that was as lean, efficient, and backwards compatible, not to mention stable as hell as Windows 8.1.

For now, my dream for a "to the metal" type OS lies in Linux. It's too bad SteamOS isn't as "out-of-the-box" as Pop!_OS is with its drivers, which would've no doubt contributed to a better adoption rate.
The latest version of Ubuntu, releasing this week, is adding some gaming centric features at least.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I find it the gold rated games on protonDB seem to run out of the box just fine for me.

I was wondering about game mode being built in to the new release today. Is it built in in the sense that it knows my mom started a game? Or do I still have to add it to the games launch option?

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just installed Manjaro Cinnamon after rediscovering that I absolutely hate xfce. Like Data in Star Trek Generations. "I hate this!"

I have a stock Ubuntu laptop from Dell. One of those cheap Inspirions that came out like 5 years ago. I wonder how awful and slow it will run if I drop the new LTS version on it.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Proton is pretty much to the point where I can just install a game and it works.

It's easily the best reason for buying games on steam for me. I have some games from the other stores, but it means I can't easily (or at all?) play them on my linux install, and that's annoying.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I have no intention of using Linux right now, but I am glad they are doing the work. Makes me feel secure that if Windows isn't right for me in the future, I can take my games with me to Linux.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a big performance drop attached to this?
Must have installed a Linux distro like 10 times over 15 years ago but never got into it. Wonder how it is now and with gaming working rather well, it would be a good argument to try it out again.

OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a big performance drop attached to this?
Must have installed a Linux distro like 10 times over 15 years ago but never got into it. Wonder how it is now and with gaming working rather well, it would be a good argument to try it out again.
It really depends, since it's based on translation to Vulkan, basic rule of thumb is that when the game is already on Vulkan you can consider it as native out of the box, others can run a bit slower but sometimes not, it can't be generalized afaik.

You can check benchmarks compared to Windows (or native ports, and with different graphics APIs) on this website: https://flightlessmango.com/

scaryrobots

Oct 27, 2017
Doing Robot things
This is awesome and I've used it before, but personally, I prefer using gpu passthrough. Most games still play better on Windows and with kvm gpu passthrough you can load up Windows for games and it's just as good as if you were dual booting.

Nov 4, 2017
Wasn't Pop!_OS derived from Ubuntu though?
Yes it is! I've been using Pop! on my desktop for about 6 months and it seems pretty good, but I'm torn between going back to Xubuntu or trying the Ubuntu Deepin remix when 20.04 drops. Pop should be getting a new LTS version sometime soon with all the Ubuntu 20.04 benefits along with what you like about Pop! OS.
I've not used it myself, I just read about it recently.
Well, I guess we'll find out in the next few weeks :)