• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a lot of Epic Store defenders in different threads since last night's TGAs. I'm definitely no "No Steam, No Buy" extremist, and I fully believe from a publisher/developer/consumer standpoint, Valve could use a kick in the ass to battle their own complacency, but I'm starting to wonder how many digital platforms PC gamers are going to have to create, input their personal and billing information into, and maintain before PC gaming just kind of breaks. All of these clients require a client installation, take up a storage and memory footprint, a lot of them even when you quit out of them. All of these, on top of invasive DRM like Denuvo that hinders performance.

I just wonder what kind of reaction console gamers would have to being treated similarly by these publishers and developers if they had to juggle half a dozen or more digital platforms in order to enjoy their hobby. This isn't unlike what we're seeing in other digital entertainment like movies, TV and music, and while there are constant articles about how fracturing the consumer's ability to see or hear what they want and breaking their wallet in the process, it sounds like PC gamers at large are just expected to take it.

So when people are looking at the complaining about the Epic Store, know that it's not just about the Epic Store, it's about the merry-go-round that PC gaming is turning into, and it's not getting any better.
Why do I have to go to a Ford dealership to buy a Ford? Why can't I get one from the GMC dealership that's a hell of a lot closer?

Churrific

Oct 27, 2017
There''s exclusivity to the storefronts/launchers sure, but there's no exclusivity in the actual platform (i.e., my pc), so I'm ok with this shift.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People tend to forget so easily how much this market was in a sorry state barely 10 years ago.

Steam did nothing short of save PC gaming. If it weren't for Steam, many games would have never come to the platform. I dont think anyone has forgotten this.

But that was yesterday. Today, the platform is doing great and people want a higher cut. Is what it is.

blizzardjesus

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, let's kill the launcher that support native controller from 3rd party vendors, VR headset from every vendors and is open to indies.

Let's kill it because reasons.

Every controller Ive connected to battle.net works with Overwatch on PC.
I didn't know that Steam works with the PSVR(the best selling VR headset)? That's a new one.
Epic is more favorable to indies, you'll be seeing them there when the store launches.

Oct 28, 2017
The message I got from the Epic store launching with exclusives is I will have to buy an Xbox next generation because the third golden age of PC gaming is about to end.

The whole reason I could avoid a console (outside the Switch) this generation is because Steam+Big Picture Mode+Xbox Controller was basically a great home consoleish experience.

To make this work though I was already ignoring all EA games and games tied to Microsoft's store, but I feel like the Epic store will be the last straw. I am not going to hack together a bunch of these launchers into a subpar kludge of a ten foot interface, and I am not backsliding into having to control everything with a mouse.

I will just move on, Microsoft is already making tons of moves I appreciate anyway so it's time to give them more of my money I guess. Almost all my major PC gamer buddies moved to the Xbox One X and I can't justify not doing the same.

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
Steam did nothing short of save PC gaming. If it weren't for Steam, many games would have never come to the platform. I dont think anyone has forgotten this.

But that was yesterday. Today, the platform is doing great and people want a higher cut. Is what it is.
And I want to keep buying cheap day 1 releases which is possible only because resellers of Steam keys offer deep cuts to their own 30% margins. If that goes away, I will just stop buying as many games day 1 as I have before. Is what it is...

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So much crying about this. Isn't the advantage of PC gaming that you can choose what you want to do instead of being limited to a single storefront like on consoles? Support who you want to support and play the games you want to play. The better services will win out.
Epic is money-hatting games to be exclusive to their store only so no, we don't get to choose the storefront.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Online services and their integration into every last game has kinda made people used to having a million accounts and launchers and more likely to put up with this kinda thing, I assume.

I'm not gonna ignore a game that looks great to me due to it being distributed through a storefront that has less features than my preferred one, but I get why some will.

That said, the idea that Valve is stagnant is laughable: the only front they're not leading on is in terms of the revenue split, and I'd argue that the key distribution options go a long way toward offsetting that.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that Steam works with the PSVR(the best selling VR headset)? That's a new one.
Epic is more favorable to indies, you'll be seeing them there when the store launches.

Oh ? So you can natively use the gyro sensor of your PS4 controller on Overwatch ? Or are you just making BS up ?
Yeah, Steam doesn't work with PSVR. Sony doesn't want that to happen. It works with Oculus or any other PC VR headset.
Epic is more favorable to indies ? Sure, for the ones that are moneyhatted to be there. The rest ? I bet my avatar that a lot will be rejected by their curation process. :)

Yeah, but funnily, we only hear that the cut is too high in one place, despite being the same everywhere else. That was yesterday, it's true, but it's not like they stopped doing so. Opus Magnum being rejected from GOG was a year ago. We're still in a market where indies can be rejected from release despite having released critically received titles. And I think that's a lesson some will learn with the Epic Games Store.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

(To be clear, this isn't addressed to the person you were replying to)

I've honestly been surprised at the resistance to even the idea of Epic having a storefront at all, considering the obviously favorable terms they're offering pubs. One pretty common complaint against Steam has been their share of the sell price (considering hands-off approaches in some areas while overly hands-on in others). This feels like a full-throated attempt by a competitor to leverage that against them. Price isn't everything, but it's still the first question you tend to ask, and there's a lot of substance to this pitch on the seller's side.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

I've honestly been surprised at the resistance to even the idea of Epic having a storefront at all, considering the obviously favorable terms they're offering pubs. One pretty common complaint against Steam has been their share of the sell price (considering hands-off approaches in some areas while overly hands-on in others). This feels like a full-throated attempt by a competitor to leverage that against them. Price isn't everything, but it's still the first question you tend to ask, and there's a lot of substance to this pitch on the seller's side.

I dont think anyone is denying that.

Thats why people ask the devs and Epic whats in it for us consumers and the answer is "uhm... yeah... 2 free games every 2 weeks". And they already directly said no Linux support.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Even if this isn't adressed to me, I'll reply to your concern:
There's no resistance at the idea of anyone having their store. Heck, I'll tell you what, I'm for MORE storefronts. The bad thing though is when a store is carrying a product exclusively, which means higher prices (and yes, it ALWAYS means that).

The other thing though, you're right, is what I don't want is Epic Games's client. Why ? Because I don't want an inferior, subpar way to play my games. I have no trust in their ecosystem. And they come after years of SteamSpy with something so lame that they don't even have decent product listing for their titles. No controller support indication, no language indication, no solo/multiplayer indication either.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It sucks for all the indie developers who have to now spend 10x as much time to publish to the same audience as before when you could just use Steam. I hope that alone doesn't drive anyone out of the business, since I know that's already a huge burden on small teams to manage all that stuff.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but funnily, we only hear that the cut is too high in one place, despite being the same everywhere else.

That's only because PC is an open platform where publishers can launch their own service. I'm sure they will put pressure on Nintendo, Sony and MS in the future but it's a harder hand to play when they created the hardware infrastructure and certifications. You have way less leverage to bully on a closed platform and with how big digital is and the better margins you are obviously going to want a digital version available.

If it was possible to bypass Sony, MS or Nintendo's store publishers would.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That's only because PC is an open platform where publishers can launch their own service. I'm sure they will put pressure on Nintendo, Sony and MS in the future but it's a harder hand to play when they created the hardware infrastructure and certifications. You have way less leverage to bully on a closed platform and with how big digital is and the better margins you are obviously going to want a digital version available.

If it was possible to bypass Sony, MS or Nintendo's store publishers would.

I mean, on PC too. Save for Epic Game Store.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Epic is money-hatting games to be exclusive to their store only so no, we don't get to choose the storefront.

So if information comes out that some arbitrary lump-sum is exclusively responsible for all these publishers launching first on the Epic store, I'd obviously soften what I'm about to say, but insisting a publisher is just responding to a "moneyhat" when they make moves toward Epic feels like missing the forest for the trees when an 88/12 share is on the table. Obviously publishers would be interested in growing that storefront/market. Obviously they would want to leverage their releases in the mid-term to potentially sell more under those conditions. The whole point is the opportunity for a better baseline.

It can make perfect sense to experiment with launching first on a platform that has better seller terms without assuming there's some Snidely Whiplash with a money-sack, wringing his hands behind the scenes.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'll only keep install 3 launchers. Uplay, Origin and Steam. With gog you can install the game then uninstall gog

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I want to keep buying cheap day 1 releases which is possible only because resellers of Steam keys offer deep cuts to their own 30% margins. If that goes away, I will just stop buying as many games day 1 as I have before. Is what it is...

And if publishers see a higher % cut from a different storefront some are okay with selling fewer units. I get why people are frustrated, but the math is the math. Some publishers will prefer going after the higher margin, some after the higher addressable market, no two pubs/devs are the same, just as no two customers are the same.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
It can make perfect sense to experiment with launching first on a platform that has better seller terms without assuming there's some Snidely Whiplash with a money-sack, wringing his hands behind the scenes.
For example satisfactory devs already mentioned that they didn't go off of steam because of the revenue changes.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these games were announced and had steam pages up. So it's hard to believe they just decided that yes epic I will put it on your store exclusively and lose out on sales from steam and gog and anything else just to experiment on your new store without some type of financial incentative that offsets those lost sales.

And if publishers see a higher % cut from a different storefront some are okay with selling fewer units. I get why people are frustrated, but the math is the math.
Maybe but it seems like a short sighted decision that could backfire majorly for them.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
And if publishers see a higher % cut from a different storefront they're probably okay with selling fewer units. I get why people are frustrated, but the math is the math.
Also wouldn't the lower price cuts result in cheaper games? I'd hope that for Epics case that games aren't $80 upwards and or around $69.99 but at $49.99

If not then it's clear that nobody really joined because of those cuts. It's a bonus sure but that's not their intent then.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I just do Steam, GOG, and Origin, anything not on those platforms isn't enough for me to worry about. There's plenty of great games between those three platforms, so I'm set.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
And if publishers see a higher % cut from a different storefront some are okay with selling fewer units. I get why people are frustrated, but the math is the math. Some publishers will prefer going after the higher margin, some after the higher addressable market, no two pubs/devs are the same, just as no two customers are the same.

I think it will be interesting to see how it will be, especially since Epic ignores one of the biggest gaming markets in the world (China).

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
"Line" would be unfair.

Because what - Origin and Uplay were first, so now other companies just can't make their own platforms because they are "too late"? It's not convenient for us but it's also not something I really worry about. I just click and open any app I want.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what to say to someone insisting that the different sales terms won't have an effect on decisionmaking around which storefronts some games launch first on, at least for an experimental window.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
I can only hope they will eventually consolidate it somehow. Like with movies anywhere. vudu, itunes, google play, prime video, fandango now etc. etc all in one managed place and I can but and watch on any of those without having to remember which app to launch or where I had the movie originally.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
So if information comes out that some arbitrary lump-sum is exclusively responsible for all these publishers launching first on the Epic store, I'd obviously soften what I'm about to say, but insisting a publisher is just responding to a "moneyhat" when they make moves toward Epic feels like missing the forest for the trees when an 88/12 share is on the table. Obviously publishers would be interested in growing that storefront/market. Obviously they would want to leverage their releases in the mid-term to potentially sell more under those conditions. The whole point is the opportunity for a better baseline.

It's not assuming though:
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/03/tim-sweeney-answers-questions-about-the-new-epic-games-store

What sort of exclusive games are going to come to this platform? Is exclusivity something you are thinking about?

Epic's own games are exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC and Mac, and we'll sometimes fund developers to release games exclusively through the store.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
"Line" would be unfair.

Because what - Origin and Uplay were first, so now other companies just can't make their own platforms because they are "too late"? It's not convenient for us but it's also not something I really worry about. I just click and open any app I want.

The thing is from all the storefronts that launched in 2018, they launch with a featureset of 2008.
Heck. Epics store doesnt even have achievments and a search function.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's not assuming though:
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/03/tim-sweeney-answers-questions-about-the-new-epic-games-store

What sort of exclusive games are going to come to this platform? Is exclusivity something you are thinking about?

Epic's own games are exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC and Mac, and we'll sometimes fund developers to release games exclusively through the store.

Parts of my point still stand, but I'll have to concede I hadn't known about a stated publisher-boost program.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Why should anyone be satisfied by this response? It's not like we're obligated to buy these games.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I can understand wanting to be part of the first wave of games on the new platform (see: Darksiders 3, Subnautica). What I don't understand is why you would release your game on said new platform and inowhere else. Besides, both Supergiant and Coffee Stained has since issued statements that (IMO) does pretty strongly imply moneyhats.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand wanting to be part of the first wave of games on the new platform (see: Darksiders 3, Subnautica). What I don't understand is why you would release your game on said new platform and inowhere else. Besides, both Supergiant and Coffee Stained has since issued statements that (IMO) does pretty strongly imply moneyhats.
I just hope it doesn't end up negatively for them by doing this. Both are great developers and I wanna see them do well but I can't help but think this isn't going to be a positive thing for them.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
The thing is from all the storefronts that launched in 2018, they launch with a featureset of 2008.
Heck. Epics store doesnt even have achievments and a search function.

I guess features will come with time. It's like expecting a new MMO game to come out with all the features of World of Warcraft. It's not possible.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just hope it doesn't end up negatively for them by doing this. Both are great developers and I wanna see them do well but I can't help but think this isn't going to be a positive thing for them.
We should start seeing signs soon enough, particularly if any of the games announced for Epic Store exclusively get a subsequent Steam release shortly afterwards (like how Bad North and Thronebreaker released on Steam shortly after their "exclusive" launches on Discord Store and GOG respectively). Judging by aforementioned two examples, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'm seeing this a lot, specifically in terms of the exclusivity deals that have been announced recently for the EPIC games launcher, and I am curious - does this work both ways for you?

What I mean is, do you also feel this way towards the game developer for entering into these exclusivity deals?

Let's say after a year when the deal runs its course, and the devs then start releasing their games on other storefronts. Do you wait until then to buy the game or just pass on it completely due to these practices?

Yeah it works both ways for me. I won't purchase these games if they come to other storefronts later. It was the developers decision as well.

I really detest money hats to keep games away from other storefronts. For me, pc gaming is all about choice. F*ck any company that tries to take that away from me.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Price promotion is just about always funded by the publisher, both digitally and at retail. If you think the digital storefronts regularly eat margin to discount games without partnering you are mistaken.

If anything, the lower % on Epic's store makes deep discounting easier, not harder.
So every game releasing on key selling sites like GMG,Fanatical have this "price promotion" of 20-26% from publisher for launch day? Sorry I am having hard time agreeing with that. If that was true it wouldn't be limited to key selling sites where steam takes 0% cut but steam itself.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We should start seeing signs soon enough, particularly if any of the games announced for Epic Store exclusively get a subsequent Steam release shortly afterwards (like how Bad North and Thronebreaker released on Steam shortly after their "exclusive" launches on Discord Store and GOG respectively). Judging by aforementioned two examples, I wouldn't hold my breath.
That is a good point, It will be interesting to see.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
It's whatever line you draw, personally I've drawn it at 3, Steam, Origin and B.NET, not going to bother with the rest. If a game is going to be exclusive on any other launcher then I'm skipping it.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I only have Steam and Battlenet, i just can't be doing with anything else as it becomes too cluttered and you have to worry about security on more and more services.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It takes some setting up, and that PSVR converter app, but it works. You just use gyro to motion but it's pretty accurate still. I wish the PS4 camera didn't use a weird plug so we could add to that on PC.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why should anyone be satisfied by this response? It's not like we're obligated to buy these games.

Doesn't matter to me if you buy or don't buy. Just trying to give some context.

Do whatever you want, it's your money. If you're not satisfied with what is being offered, or where, or at what price, then just don't buy.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
So every game releasing on key selling sites like GMG,Fanatical have this "price promotion" of 20-26% from publisher for launch day? Sorry I am having hard time agreeing with that. If that was true it wouldn't be limited to key selling sites where steam takes 0% cut but steam itself.
Steam allows pubs/devs to create game keys for free (0% cut for Steam)
Pubs/devs give those keys to 3rd party sites that also get a cut (~30%)
Said 3rd party sites then lower their own cut by offering games at a discounted price, usually -20-25%, to compete with Steam