• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Apex success pretty much killed any chance of it imho. Now that EA fully owns the studio, I dont think they will make another Titanfall unless they lose the Battlefront / StarWars IP use (as the rotation of Battlefield / Battlefront covers them for the mostly year shooter release).
Yeah I wasn't thinking any time soon, maybe in several years if they're starting to move on from Apex Legends.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Epic's strategy is to spend millions moneyhatting games using finite money that will eventually run out to force people to use their client, and is hated by the PC community because of that.
Steam's strategy is to actually make people want to use their client, and the PC community loves it.

I wonder who's going to do better in the long term. :)

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's absolutely crazy for sure and I love it. I'm not buying another game if it's not available DRM-free, on Battle.net or Steam.

It's fine to offer your game on your own platform, but also including it on Steam is a no brainer. I hate when companies lock games behind their platform for x amount of time - just release it at least on steam and other storefronts so you get the widest audience!

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people on my friends list bought Outer Wilds the day it released on Steam, seemingly waiting a whole year instead of buying it on Epic (unless a lot of people double dipped anyway, I wouldn't know).

It seems people are really willing to wait or pay more to play games on a platform they prefer. Pretty interesting as a lot of the talk around the epic store when it released was "people will go where the games are".

It's really quite impressive, a crystal-clear message to the entire industry.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How

I game on Windows all the time on multiple computers and don't have these major issues

Sounds like user error

Yeah also ppl really should do a clean install from time to time or at least fresh start or something like that. I know several ppl who complain about their PC's all the time and they still have the same windows install since they upgraded from windows 7 and install crappy malware ridden apps and shit like that.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people on my friends list bought Outer Wilds the day it released on Steam, seemingly waiting a whole year instead of buying it on Epic (unless a lot of people double dipped anyway, I wouldn't know).

It seems people are really willing to wait or pay more to play games on a platform they prefer. Pretty interesting as a lot of the talk around the epic store when it released was "people will go where the games are".

Very few titles for anyone are must have titles.
Rather then following the games, it's probably much more likely that you as a a dev/publisher will lose the customer if you add any hurdle for them buying your game. And adding a new client, new server depencies and new credentials with a new 2FA is very much a hurdle if you're not very invested in the title.

But put the game on the customers prefered store, and add a discount, and you have a good chance of getting them back.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Epic's strategy is to spend millions moneyhatting games using finite money that will eventually run out to force people to use their client, and is hated by the PC community because of that.
Steam's strategy is to actually make people want to use their client, and the PC community loves it.

I wonder who's going to do better in the long term. :)

I don't think Epic truly understands the customers it is trying to court, which isn't surprising since just a few years ago they considered PC gaming a dying platform.

Its a great time to be a PC gamer!

The best ever, in my opinion. I've been gaming on PC since the late 80s and this is by far my favorite era.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Half-Life 2 isn't exclusivity, it's a developer's choice to use a specific kind of backend for patching, multiplayer and DRM. The existence of Steam didn't in any way change the options and choices that the customer had back then. Steam was despised because at launch it was crap.

I just chose Half Life 2 as an example. Literally all of Valve's games are only on Steam and newer ones don't even get physical releases. It is absolutely a form of exclusivity and it's how Steam was able to get off the ground and it has helped push the platform further.

I hate the idea of exclusivity as much as the next person, but from a business perspective it tends to work more often than not. Content is and has always been king.

The Epic Store, Origin, etc are also despised because they are crap. No one complains about GOG's or Itch's exclusivity because they actually work.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Detroit is in the Top 10? Wooooooof.
giphy.gif

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
it seems that companies are realizing that to create an online store front client with all the feature, that are already in steam, is a big task, and costs a lot of money. every now and then there's a company who tries, to some degree of success.

now that EA decided to go back to steam, i think it shows that it's not that easy as they thought, or they just decided that it's not worth the hassle/inverstment/constant support.

one thing i do recognize though - every time there's a big company attempt to separate themselves from the steam echo system, valve steps up the game, and begins to improve the QOL of the store, and pays more attention to what needs to be fixed/improved. if this is the result, then i suggest to create an online aggregator of steam dissatisfaction, which will see how many people aren't happy with steam, and when it reaches a certain threshold, it'll make one of the big companies to part ways with steam, and make them create an independent store front for them

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
it seems that companies are realizing that to create an online store front client with all the feature, that are already in steam, is a big task, and costs a lot of money. every now and then there's a company who tries, to some degree of success.

now that EA decided to go back to steam, i think it shows that it's not that easy as they thought, or they just decided that it's not worth the hassle/inverstment/constant support.

one thing i do recognize though - every time there's a big company attempt to separate themselves from the steam echo system, valve steps up the game, and begins to improve the QOL of the store, and pays more attention to what needs to be fixed/improved. if this is the result, then i suggest to create an online aggregator of steam dissatisfaction, which will see how many people aren't happy with steam, and when it reaches a certain threshold, it'll make one of the big companies to part ways with steam, and make them create an independent store front for them
Not really, it is more like people expect a Valve reaction and start to find out some of the changes Valve does in Steam. If we look into it, there wasnt a big difference in updates between 2017 and 2018 or 2019 (2020 seems "loaded" but it has been built over previous year changes).

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I just chose Half Life 2 as an example. Literally all of Valve's games are only on Steam and newer ones don't even get physical releases. It is absolutely a form of exclusivity and it's how Steam was able to get off the ground and it has helped push the platform further.

I hate the idea of exclusivity as much as the next person, but from a business perspective it tends to work more often than not. Content is and has always been king.

The Epic Store, Origin, etc are also despised because they are crap. No one complains about GOG's or Itch's exclusivity because they actually work.
While it would be nice, nobody is saying that Epic should be required to put Fortnite in Steam. Just like it's amazing that EA finally put their games in a good platform, but nobody was screaming about their games being Origin exclusives. The whataboutism you're using with first party titles is tiring and no one is going to agree with you.

But most importantly, Valve's games used to be for sale in Origin (physically) and in Uplay (they would open Steam just like Ubisoft games open Uplay when launched through Steam). Origin dropped Valve's games when their bad blood started after the DLC stuff, and Ubisoft dropped them when they decided to drop all third party games. So not only is your agument completely stupid even if your affirmation was correct; your affirmation is also incorrect. Congratulations.
The message seems to be to take Epic's money and then release elsewhere a year later to great success. Wish the whole ordeal wasn't so obnoxious for the end user.
While you unfortunately have a point, Epic WILL have to stop moneyhatting games at some point. And when that happens no one is going to be stupid enough to not put their games on Steam.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The message seems to be to take Epic's money and then release elsewhere a year later to great success. Wish the whole ordeal wasn't so obnoxious for the end user.
At least it shows that there's enough people who aren't easily persuaded to buy from Epic, no matter how good your game is, but ready to give you money on Steam. If their games are going to fail on Steam (some do, just look at Hello Neighbor and Ashen) after the end of exclusivity, devs are going to continue to take these deals even more eagerly.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Titanfall 2 on top, amazing.

Currently at 8,500 players right now on Steam alone, MP is really active, makes me so happy.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
How

I game on Windows all the time on multiple computers and don't have these major issues

Sounds like user error

yeah I have a bs in computer science and have worked as a programmer/ server admin for over 20 years now.. it's me.

forced windows update Have been a constant issue breaking things like RDP which killed my steam streaming for about 2 months because I didn't want to deal with it.

one day my 2080 would just throttle to 4000 rpms after a windows update and didn't get fixed till another update months later.

mk-11 constantly has corrupted files after game updates.

I mean it's not hard to find something recently

www.google.com

Microsoft confirms latest Windows 10 update causes issues with certain games

Earlier this month, Microsoft released Windows 10 KB4482887 to fix Action Center bug, improve performance by enabling Retpoline on certain machines and address other problems. Yesterday, we discovered this Windows 10 cumulative update breaks down some games such as Destiny 2. Today, Microsoft...

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
yeah I have a bs in computer science and have worked as a programmer/ server admin for over 20 years now.. it's me.

forced windows update Have been a constant issue breaking things like RDP which killed my steam streaming for about 2 months because I didn't want to deal with it.

one day my 2080 would just throttle to 4000 rpms after a windows update and didn't get fixed till another update months later.

mk-11 constantly has corrupted files after game updates.
RDP works way better on windows than PlayStation 🤷‍♂️ I disable it though

I always use MSI afterburner to control my GPUs fan curve so idk about windows controlling it.

I don't think PC gamers would really run into those issues.

The MK11 stuff sounds like the developers fault to me if it's just that game

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Just like it's amazing that EA finally put their games in a good platform, but nobody was screaming that their games were Origin exclusives. The whataboutism you're using with first party titles is tiring and no one is going to agree with you.

That's not true at all. People were pissed when EA pulled out from Steam.

All of the games Valve put on Origin were out years before Origin existed.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I disagree. As I said, a game using Steamworks (the backend or framework I was talking about) isn't the same as a game being exclusive to a store. There are many games on Steam that use another framework. EA games use Origin, Ubisoft games use uPlay, Satisfactory uses Epic online services.

As for Valve's games, they're the developer and they have a first-party distribution service. No one is mad at Epic for having Fortnite on EGS.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I don't think I'd be using Linux on all my systems right now if it wasn't for Valve and their work on Linux and Proton. I'd still be getting frustrated dicking around with wine and end up reinstalling Windows. So I owe a lot (my freedom to choose what OS I want to use) thanks to Valve and Steam.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
We'll never know how well those games would have done if they had been released on Steam from the start. It's a bit of a gamble on the publishers part.

I wonder how well Kine has been doing. It's a game I was only made aware of through the current Steam event, only to then discover it's already out (on EGS) - so much for greater exposure on EGS!

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Well, for someone to be able to take Epic's money, Epic has to be willing to give it. Not buying things on EGS seems like a very effective way of moving towards that goal.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
It really is beautiful.

Someone was telling me how shocked and confused they were about how Skyrim could still chart so high after all of these years. I explained that this is the power of having nearly 100 million active users. People are always finally acquiring hardware that lets them run the game satisfactorily, or they can even finally just afford the game, so its popularity can't wane. Its immortal.
This is a very good point.

My fiancee fell in love with Skyrim, after playing the remaster on PS4, but was blown away by my modestly modded PC version.

She recently got a laptop with a 1660ti for WFH and is now in literal Skyrim heaven! Although I'm sharing my Steam Library with her, I imagine many would purchase another copy for these sorts of reasons.

Heck, even I'm guilty of buying the game four times! (360, PC, PS4, Switch)

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which third party games did Valve pay the developers to remove from competing stores?
They didn't pay them, but the exclusivity agreement they required for Introversion forced them to remove their own DRM-free digital download of Darwinia. And since Steam didn't support Linux at the time, it also essentially killed the Linux version.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This is a very good point.

My fiancee fell in love with Skyrim, after playing the remaster on PS4, but was blown away by my modestly modded PC version.

She recently got a laptop with a 1660ti for WFH and is now in literal Skyrim heaven! Although I'm sharing my Steam Library with her, I imagine many would purchase another copy for these sorts of reasons.

Heck, even I'm guilty of buying the game four times! (360, PC, PS4, Switch)
Yeah, there you go, great example even though it wasn't an actual purchase.

I do believe a lot of new purchases are laptop users. I've been in the gaming laptop scene for 15 years (bought my first machine with a dedicated GPU in '05-ish), and it's incredible to see how decently powered dedicated GPUs have trickled down to relatively inexpensive laptops now, opening up the PC gaming scene for so many more millions of people. Access "back in the day" was an $1100 USD plus hurdle, but now it's down near $650. Not for the high-end mind, but just to get in the door at 1080p/medium settings.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't pay them, but the exclusivity agreement they required for Introversion forced them to remove their own DRM-free digital download of Darwinia. And since Steam didn't support Linux at the time, it also essentially killed the Linux version.
Sure. That's one example, back when Valve were literally creating the first viable digital distribution platform for pc games. They stopped doing it very soon after, and haven't done it since.

That wasn't even targetted at a direct competitor. It was a negotiation with a partner. I don't like that they did it, but I'm mostly just glad they've never done it since.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The case for PC gaming just gets stronger. Might have to find space in my apartment for a PC or settle for a laptop w/ a video card one of these days.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

Here's the thing though: in most cases, those moneyhats from Epic were NOT just straight up cash payments on top of full revenue they would would the earn on the storefront. Several indie developers have confirmed that the deals with Epic were sales guarantees up to whatever the terms of the deal were. So if Epic offered a dev $1M in guaranteed revenue it just comes down to whether or not they think they would make that anyway. At some point there's a calculus to how much MORE a game would have made if available on Steam at launch window price versus what they make a year later when it's released at a steep discount and all those people who were patient snap it up. It's likely that not all of them would have bought it at full price at launch, but I'd be willing to be a significant portion would, and there's definitely a curve to that where taking the money from Epic could actually lower their overall revenue.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Steam works the same. Each dev/publisher decides themselves if the game should require the client to run. Skyrim was even launched without the launcher requirement by accident.

There's a list of Steam games that don't require the client available through quick googling.
(Was just in the middle of posting it.)

Steam has its fair share of DRM-free games too.

Interestingly enough, Half-Life 2 and its episodes are listed there.
Yes, I am aware of that list. I'm slowly going through my Steam games and detaching the ones that are DRM-Free from the client. I realized that I have way too many games, so I am only going to buy DRM-Free moving forward so that list is definitely helpful.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not what I said at all and if you read the thread everyone except for you was able to perfectly understand it - unless my sarcasm detector is really broken.
I wasn't being sarcastic, but looking back I guess you mean it's great that they've acquired games from such a range of publishers?

Fair play I guess but being the biggest marketplace in the space will afford your those opportunities. Why would those pubs not want to be on steam? It's a no-brainier.

It's like saying Wal-Mart is on roll because they stock all the big brands, it's kind of to be expected at this point surely.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so I had no idea they were still putting out features. Steam labs & new library updates were everywhere in my feed when they had been released while I'd never heard of these (I'm even in the beta version of the client). That said, I really don't care about VR so I'm quite disappointed knowing that's their main focus nowadays
I think it's also worth reminding that things like the steam library update had nothing to do with epic game store, we knew about them working on it since 2017.
Just because the timing of seems somewhat convienient does not mean causation, that's how people end up thinking that Epic was the reason Quantic Dream's game ended up on PC.

asmodejan

Oct 27, 2017
It was, it is and most probably will continue to be the best digital store for video games bar none.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wasn't being sarcastic, but looking back I guess you mean it's great that they've acquired games from such a range of publishers?

Fair play I guess but being the biggest marketplace in the space will afford your those opportunities. Why would those pubs not want to be on steam? It's a no-brainier.

It's like saying Wal-Mart is on roll because they stock all the big brands, it's kind of to be expected at this point surely.

When EA took its ball and went home in mid-2011, removing Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 to prop up the then-nascent Origin (which was really just a rebranded EA Downloader), and it became clear EA had no intention of releasing future titles on Steam, the conventional "wisdom" was that large publishers doubling down on their own platform was the only net they needed to catch their userbase and releasing on Steam meant cannibalising revenue. This is why Microsoft stopped releasing games on Steam after the launch of Windows 10, Bethesda flirted with the idea of doing the same after assuming Fallout 76 was going to be as successful as Elder Scrolls Online, Acti ditched Steam in favour of Bnet for GaaS titles beginning with Destiny 2, and people would crow "Ubi is next!" every time it had a publisher sale or announced a AAA game but dragged its feet a bit with putting up the Steam page.

That publishers who aren't/no longer release games on Steam have been leaving money on the table has been fairly obvious to long-time users, but it hasn't always been so to the publishers themselves. It is now, though, and I imagine Acti has been watching things unfold with a look of thinking.emoji on its face.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cheers Jase.

So yeah, it's great that more games are becoming available on steam, but it's not like "wow, they're on a roll, look at them go!" and more "the inevitable has happened, cool." The business has just rolled their way naturally as often happens with market leaders, it's not like they're "smashing it" as such.

Which was kind of my point.