• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
because they sell their games on steam, "based on information and belief" agreed to this "mfn" clause in their contract with valve (short for most favored nation, but in this case basically devs cant have a lower price on a different storefront if they sell on steam), and then those games were bought by the plaintiffs and they were "forced to pay supracompetitive prices for those pc games"

learn a new word every day
Oh!

Well RIP Steam I guess, better download all my games as long as I can

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Cant publishers release their games on Steam (with 30% cut) and then get an unlimited number of keys that can be redeemed on Steam without ay cut at all? You can literally release a game for 60 on Steam and sell it for 1 cent outside of it and Steam wont give a fuck.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Do you guys remember when AAA exclusives games on EGS cost less on release date ?
Like Borderlands 3, Control etc.. ?

60€ like any other AAA released on pc (steam, upla, origin) with a cut of 12%, Gearbox even removed Borderlands 3 during the first epic sale with the loss 10$ coupons
Depending on the region I even remember the exact opposites for game which were available for preorder on steam ( and steam keys on other stores ) then becames exclusives to EGS. For example Metro Exodus a steam key before the game became exclusive : 39.5€; EGS price in europe after the exclusivity deal : 59.99€ ( there was a discount but limited to north america ).

Which still never prevented people to spout the 'it's just another launcher' nonsense.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Any lawsuit inspired by Tim Sweeney should be thrown out on principle. This is patently absurd.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Judges should be able to ban people from suing for like 5 years whenever they do something this stupid.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
So if I'm understanding this right, the Steam agreement prevents you from setting the base price for products lower somewhere else, but doesn't stop you from selling the game / keys at an arbitrary discount somewhere else? I can kinda see the argument but it also feels like splitting hairs. How is GMG for example able to operate if this MFN contract is that horrible?

The argument seems to basically be that publishers would totally want to lower their prices for us if they could while also taking advantage of EGS's better cut. I guess this is plausible, but it also just sounds like believing in trickle down economics.

Shouldn't the developers being suing Valve and not some random customer if their business was being harmed by Steam's agreements? It seems like CDPR should be angry about this, but they're named in the suit too as if they're co-conspirators or something.

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
e678ujh55kqq.jpg

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm understanding this right, the Steam agreement prevents you from setting the base price for products lower somewhere else, but doesn't stop you from selling the game / keys at an arbitrary discount somewhere else? I can kinda see the argument but it also feels like splitting hairs. How is GMG for example able to operate if this MFN contract is that horrible?
Person who's released a few Steam games here, Valve put a policy in place several months ago that while you get 100% of profits from Steam Keys you may be able to sell on your own, that you don't sell Steam Keys yourself for a price that much lower than is available on Steam. I haven't seen other storefront deals, but I know there's a mention of this when you generate keys, basically the agreement to them giving you infinite keys for you to sell yourself is you don't price cut deeply the price of the game on Steam.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Person who's released a few Steam games here, Valve put a policy in place several months ago that while you get 100% of profits from Steam Keys you may be able to sell on your own, that you don't sell Steam Keys yourself for a price that much lower than is available on Steam. I haven't seen other storefront deals, but I know there's a mention of this when you generate keys, basically the agreement to them giving you infinite keys for you to sell yourself is you don't price cut deeply the price of the game on Steam.
That was seemingly in the Steam Agreement for years tho, it only surfaced late last year cause someone actually started to read the Agreement.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
That was seemingly in the Steam Agreement for years tho, it only surfaced late last year cause someone actually started to read the Agreement.
The better way to word it is Valve emphasized it when they redid the Steam Key Generator system last year. when the Steam Store got an update, so did the innter workings of Steam, and Steam Key Generation came with more reminders (though overall a more simple-to-the-point key generator tool).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The better way to word it is Valve emphasized it when they redid the Steam Key Generator system last year. when the Steam Store got an update, so did the innter workings of Steam, and Steam Key Generation came with more reminders (though overall a more simple-to-the-point key generator tool).
Oh yes, you are right then.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
So the deal being referenced here only applies to the price of Steam keys being sold and not the price of the game on other storefronts?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

This suit isn't about steam key sellers, it's alternative platforms like Epic Store, Window Store (which they claim only has 15% cut, despite it having same 30% as Steam) and Discord (accusing Valve of killing Discord because of their 10% cut).

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This suit isn't about steam key sellers, it's alternative platforms like Epic Store, Window Store (which they claim only has 15% cut, despite it having same 30% as Steam) and Discord (accusing Valve of killing Discord because of their 10% cut).
Good to know, though as their claim has no evidence outside of I guess Sweeny's tweet, they're making assumptions this happens without much proof, which I can't see getting very far.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i know its already pretty far away from the point in this thread already, but is that part of the agreement there from when you put a game on steam and theyre just reminding you at the generator or is it only when you generate keys that it kicks in?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
i know its already pretty far away from the point in this thread already, but is that part of the agreement there from when you put a game on steam and theyre just reminding you at the generator or is it only when you generate keys that it kicks in?

It isn't in agreement.

Good to know, though as their claim has no evidence outside of I guess Sweeny's tweet, they're making assumptions this happens without much proof, which I can't see getting very far.

They're probably hoping to get to discovery somehow. (maybe be forcing Tim Sweeney to appear as witness? but as I understand, Tim probably won't be able to lie in court like in Twitter, unless Epic actually has such agreement with Steam, that I wouldn't know).

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Why the fuck is Rust LTD named in this suit?

These idiots probably think Rust LTD made the game Rust, instead of the reality being a tiny collective of people including the like one guy who works on H3VR.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
As far as I'm aware, the only thing Steam has that even remotely resembles this, is a section in the Steamworks documentation about key generation, referred to as fair pricing. Basically that if you make Steam games available elsewhere through key generation, then whatever discount you apply to those keys should, in some reasonable timeframe, also be made available to Steam users, so as to ensure some proportion of people do still buy games from Steam itself (and thus give Valve some money).

I have no idea how stringently it is enforced, but considering how often I see Steam games available for much cheaper outside of Steam, my guess is "not very".

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
i mean yeah theyre different scenerios, but their share went up meaning they could charge less and get the same money right? thats what theyre saying should have happened and would happen if this steam deal didnt exist

yeah i skimmed it again and im pretty sure they present literally no evidence that it exists, they kind of just... assume it does

"Your honor just let us find this stuff in discovery"

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
As far as I'm aware, the only thing Steam has that even remotely resembles this, is a section in the Steamworks documentation about key generation, referred to as fair pricing. Basically that if you make Steam games available elsewhere through key generation, then whatever discount you apply to those keys should, in some reasonable timeframe, also be made available to Steam users, so as to ensure some proportion of people do still buy games from Steam itself (and thus give Valve some money).

I have no idea how stringently it is enforced, but considering how often I see Steam games available for much cheaper outside of Steam, my guess is "not very".
This has always given me the impression that the real rule is "if you're selling Steam keys, then you must sell your game on Steam in good faith".

Valve doesn't seem to care what you do with keys as long as you're not blatantly trying to scam Valve out of their ability to sell copies of your game. So a special 20% sale at launch on key sites is apparently okay, but if you do something stupid like permanently price your game at $100 on Steam while charging a perfectly normal $60 for Steam keys elsewhere, then maybe Valve steps in to stop you. At least, they could. I can't think of an example of it actually happening, off the top of my head.

Valve's leniency in this matter makes me doubt that they are engaged in a huge price-fixing scheme across multiple stores. The pieces don't fit well.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
This has always given me the impression that the real rule is "if you're selling Steam keys, then you must sell your game on Steam in good faith".

Valve doesn't seem to care what you do with keys as long as you're not blatantly trying to scam Valve out of their ability to sell copies of your game. So a special 20% sale at launch on key sites is apparently okay, but if you do something stupid like permanently price your game at $100 on Steam while charging a perfectly normal $60 for Steam keys elsewhere, then maybe Valve steps in to stop you. At least, they could. I can't think of an example of it actually happening, off the top of my head.

Valve's leniency in this matter makes me doubt that they are engaged in a huge price-fixing scheme across multiple stores. The pieces don't fit well.
Indeed. The key generation system seems to work the same way as well - I'm sure the actual sales to keys ratio at which you'll start getting looked at is firmly defined somewhere internally, but all you get in the guidelines is "please use this service judiciously". Just basically don't abuse the hell out of our offering, and be fair to us and our customers. They do reserve the right to stop you from generating more keys, and to revoke keys you've generated, obviously, but it seems... fair?

I've never published a game on Steam so I don't know if there is any additional contracts you need to enter into and what the phrasing used there is, but from what I'm seeing in the "Steamworks Partner Documentation" it's all just centered around providing a fair service to customers. And no word at all about pricing on different platforms, just pricing of generated keys - which can be discounted as deep as you want, even given away for free, "so long as you plan to give a comparable offer to Steam customers in a reasonable amount of time". That's all there is. That one phrase is the only thing that can be misinterpreted here, and it talks specifically about Steam keys.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
i'll never understand why people are rushing to defend a multibillion company that's dominating the majority of the market

Oct 25, 2017
i'll never understand why people are rushing to defend a multibillion company that's dominating the majority of the market

If there was a legitimate grievance here I might agree with you, but the lawsuit has some fundamental issues that make anyone supporting it look like they're either ignoring the details, or they have an agenda.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
And aside from the other posters' reasons, said multibillion company is one of the only, if not the only, major gaming company that customers still have any significant trust for, and that has accrued any noticeable amount of customer goodwill and hasn't burned much if any of it in recent memory.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
Do you guys remember when AAA exclusives games on EGS cost less on release date ?
Like Borderlands 3, Control etc.. ?

60€ like any other AAA released on pc (steam, upla, origin) with a cut of 12%, Gearbox even removed Borderlands 3 during the first epic sale with the loss 10$ coupons

No matter how much cut they get, even ~95-100% like Sony gets digitaly for their first party they still sell as expensive as they can. But there are some people on this forum that want games to cost more, because poor companies need more money to develop them.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
And aside from the other posters' reasons, said multibillion company is one of the only, if not the only, major gaming company that customers still have any significant trust for, and that has accrued any noticeable amount of customer goodwill and hasn't burned much if any of it in recent memory.

Also somehow I doubt indie studios also sued are multibillion :P

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the same pricing clause is about Steam games sold on Steam and Steam games sold on third-party stores 😸

But hey. Good luck. If we get better game prices I'm all for it.