• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Great OP. A few tools that might come in handy:

- GloSC - This will allow you to use the Steam Controller with just about anything, including UWP games.
- OSOL- (Origin Steam Overlay Launcher) - An easy way to ensure that games with launchers will work with the Steam Overlay. It will also shut down the launcher when you are done with the game. Uplay tip: add upc.exe when it asks for the launcher.
- Steam Controller VSC View - Display your inputs (including trackpad swipes) for streaming and video recording. Tip: Select Theme first, then select controller.

Would love some step by step guides on how to get, say, some SNES Roms working w/ the Steam Controller.

Is Glosc the way to go?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I have a weird question based on the support of using a direct input controller that Valve would setup as a Steam controller (as laid out by Krejlooc here)

Could I use a controller that is sending keyboard inputs to setup as a Steam controller as well? Like instead of it being 'button 1' 'button 2' etc it's literally key presses like 'shift' 'a' etc and have that turn it into a Steam controller?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Big Picture needs support for resolutions above 1080p first.
You can run it at higher resolutions if you start Steam with:
Code:
-fulldesktopres
I have a weird question based on the support of using a direct input controller that Valve would setup as a Steam controller (as laid out by Krejlooc here)

Could I use a controller that is sending keyboard inputs to setup as a Steam controller as well? Like instead of it being 'button 1' 'button 2' etc it's literally key presses like 'shift' 'a' etc and have that turn it into a Steam controller?
I expect it would see that as a keyboard and wouldn't work, as keyboards are not currently supported for Steam Input.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
You can run it at higher resolutions if you start Steam with:
Code:
-fulldesktopres
Sure.

It only goes to the full desktop resolution. You can't configure it. This is particularly hairy if you have a 21:9 screen and are streaming to another screen.

Afaik the graphical elements aren't resolution independent either.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's typical. The first game I've tried to play with my DualShock 4 in a while now, other than doing some testing, is having issues.
Ruiner seems to have its own custom DS4 implementation that conflicts with Steam Input, resulting in double inputs when you press a button.
They didn't even bother to change the prompts to match the DualShock 4 - it still displays Xbox prompts - but their custom DS4 implementation means that it doesn't work properly with Steam Input.
That's the first game I've had that problem with in a long time now - possibly the first one since I switched over from DS4Windows to Steam Input.

This is why developers need to start implementing standardized controller APIs and add glyph options if necessary, instead of running their own custom controller implementations.
It's also why it frustrates me so much when people complain about a game lacking so-called "native" DS4 support. It does nothing but cause problems.
Sure.
It only goes to the full desktop resolution. You can't configure it. This is particularly hairy if you have a 21:9 screen and are streaming to another screen.
Afaik the graphical elements aren't resolution independent either.
I never said that it was ideal, just that you can force it to render at a higher resolution.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anyone have an idea if it would be possible to map Battletech controls into a gamepad?

The game is essentially like Divinity Original Sin games, right? Which are perfectly viable on a gamepad.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Well that's typical. The first game I've tried to play with my DualShock 4 in a while now, other than doing some testing, is having issues.
Ruiner seems to have its own custom DS4 implementation that conflicts with Steam Input, resulting in double inputs when you press a button.
SpecialK has a setting to suppress DS4 input which might work around that.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
SpecialK has a setting to suppress DS4 input which might work around that.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the game won't even start with SKIM running.
I've had a lot of problems with Kaldaien's injectors anyway. In my experience they conflict with a lot of other software, causing crashes - and SKIM won't even install if you have Controlled Folder Access enabled on Windows 10 (mod/game developers should never be trying to access the 'documents' folder anyway).

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Would love some step by step guides on how to get, say, some SNES Roms working w/ the Steam Controller.

Is Glosc the way to go?

Most emulators I've tested work fine with Steam and the Steam Overlay. Once you add the emulator to Steam, you can most likely edit the shortcut to include the Rom in some way. Just search google to see if that emulator supports that feature. There are even programs that can automate the process (Ice) and add grid icons as well.

Oct 28, 2017
Most emulators I've tested work fine with Steam and the Steam Overlay. Once you add the emulator to Steam, you can most likely edit the shortcut to include the Rom in some way. Just search google to see if that emulator supports that feature. There are even programs that can automate the process (Ice) and add grid icons as well.

I must be super dense because even w/ Dolphin opened via Big Picture Mode, and a community controller configuration applied, I can't get the games to work w/ the controller. Steam overlay opens fine and everything. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Makes me wanna throw in the towel and just get an XB1 pad.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I must be super dense because even w/ Dolphin opened via Big Picture Mode, and a community controller configuration applied, I can't get the games to work w/ the controller. Steam overlay opens fine and everything. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Makes me wanna throw in the towel and just get an XB1 pad.

Have you configured the pad in Dolphin itself?

Oct 28, 2017
Have you configured the pad in Dolphin itself?

I can't get Dolphin to recognize my button presses. When opened in BPM, I got it to register the B, Y, and Right Touchpad click somehow. The reason those buttons work and not others is beyond me. Just tried again and those don't work. Would love for this to work as simply for me as it seems to for others.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get Dolphin to recognize my button presses. When opened in BPM, I got it to register the B, Y, and Right Touchpad click somehow. The reason those buttons work and not others is beyond me. Just tried again and those don't work. Would love for this to work as simply for me as it seems to for others.

Hmm I asked because for me Dolphin doesn't recognize my PS4 controller in the controller-config but it does enable the controller when I launch a game. Sounds like you have an odd issue there :/

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

I hope we can help you figure this out. Dolphin and the Steam Controller are a pretty good match.

Have you tried going to the shortcut in BPM and unchecking "allow desktop config in launcher"? It makes it so I can launch Dolphin and select Xinput/0/Gamepad in the controller config.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope we can help you figure this out. Dolphin and the Steam Controller are a pretty good match.

Have you tried going to the shortcut in BPM and unchecking "allow desktop config in launcher"? It makes it so I can launch Dolphin and select Xinput/0/Gamepad in the controller config.

Holy crap, you're a lifesaver!

Y'know that's always been my issue with these emulators. As if the controller were still operating as though it were being utilized as a mouse.

Thank you, so, so much! My friends have been mocking me with, "that's why you don't buy a Steam controller" for too long. I can't wait to show them the controller actually working.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap, you're a lifesaver!

Y'know that's always been my issue with these emulators. As if the controller were still operating as though it were being utilized as a mouse.

Thank you, so, so much! My friends have been mocking me with, "that's why you don't buy a Steam controller" for too long. I can't wait to show them the controller actually working.
Phew. I'm glad that worked out. I'll try and post some Dolphin related tips soon.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

That made my experience smoother too, thanks! :D

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm maybe someone has an idea about a issue I have.

Basically I want to run my Android emulator through Steam so I can have my DS4 with gyro-support for the mouse-cursor and the touch-pad for clicking in Android games. Running the emulator through Steam works no problem and the sticks and buttons work fine via Xinput but as soon as the emulator window is active mouse-movement completely stops working with the controller. I found out it happens because the Android emulator runs as admin while Steam doesn't so the emulator takes mouse-control away from Steam once the window is active. That is in theory easy to fix by running Steam itself as admin too but I don't want to do that because whenever I run Steam as admin my Family Share Library isn't available making the whole thing inconvenient.

Does anyone maybe have some other ideas how I could resolve this and get my mouse-movement with Steam Input in the Android Emulator? The emulator I use is called Mumu and the game I'm using it for mainly, Honkai Impact 3rd. has too many UI buttons all over the place to just skip the mouse and use buttons for everything. So right now I'm using my actual mouse for the UI and the controller for the gameplay.

Deleted member 10852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great OP. A few tools that might come in handy:

- GloSC - This will allow you to use the Steam Controller with just about anything, including UWP games.
- OSOL- (Origin Steam Overlay Launcher) - An easy way to ensure that games with launchers will work with the Steam Overlay. It will also shut down the launcher when you are done with the game. Uplay tip: add upc.exe when it asks for the launcher.
- Steam Controller VSC View - Display your inputs (including trackpad swipes) for streaming and video recording. Tip: Select Theme first, then select controller.
i tried gloSC without success with sea of thieves :( black screen and sound, maybe because im using steamlink, not sure

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Has anyone been able to turn off the left analog stick feedback in Big Picture mode?
I followed these steps: Settings-->Configurations-->Base Configurations-->Big Picture Configuration --> went to left analogue stick in the picture-->then "select" button to go to "advanced settings" and then I turned "Haptics Intensity" to off for each direction of the stick.

Unfortunately this doesn't work and I have to turn off "Haptics Preferences" globally (via settings-->"controller settings" ->steam controller-->preferences-->Haptics Preferences-->Off) in order to eliminate the feedback, and that turns off all haptics for both circle pads as well, which is less desirable for me.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Switch Pro Controller support via Steam Input is here

Greetings from the Steam Controller team. We're pleased to announce that the latest Steam Client Beta adds support for the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. We think it is a great device with a feature set that pairs nicely with your Steam catalog. The d-pad is ideal for fighting games and platformers and the gyro enhances aim in your action/FPS titles. If you'd like to test it out you will need to opt into the Steam Client Beta then follow the steps below. We hope you enjoy and, as always, we welcome your feedback.

How do I get started?
First, opt into the Steam Client Beta then enable support globally by checking the 'Nintendo Switch Configuration Support' option in the Controller Settings page. In case you missed it, this is the same page to enable PS4 and Xbox Configuration support. By checking this box, you are able to create, share, and browse Switch Pro Controller configs on a per-game basis. The Controller Settings page also contains a global option to 'Use Nintendo Button Layout'. This will swap the A/B and X/Y buttons of your loaded config – something that will come in handy if you choose a Steam Controller, Xbox, or standard template config.

b6da34925d9fffed1292b5068541af76870c438a.png

Next, connect your controller and register it to your account when prompted. For best results with the gyro, we suggest initially calibrating your controller by selecting the 'Calibrate' option under 'Detected Controllers'.

e919c535babe7b8c017dd85c7446abd5fdcf4828.png

After that, create a config (or load an existing config), via the 'Controller Configuration' option in the Manage Game screen for the title you are playing. The full functionality of the Steam Input Configurator is at your disposal: bind the gyro, add radial menus, create action sets, etc. If you prefer to start from a community config, press X and browse the options.

7624bc223a564e6aa617b1a798defdc95aa88d99.png

Finally, launch and play your Steam game with your Switch Pro Controller. Bring up the overlay with the 'Home' button to tweak your config on the fly. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm about to buy a Steam Controller with the adapter for $20 tomorrow. Just need to drive 40 minutes.

Yay or nay?

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
I'm about to buy a Steam Controller with the adapter for $20 tomorrow. Just need to drive 40 minutes.

Yay or nay?

If you would like to take advantage of Gyro aiming for shooters, gyro steering for racing, the touchpad stuff for strategy, I would say it's well worth it. Gyro aiming is a godsend.

Also, just want to say that the Switch controller support is glorious. Works amazing, and the gyro feels just as accurate as the Steam Controller. It feels so freaking bizarre to jump into Unreal Tournament '99, turn on instagib and godlike bots, and totally stomp them while using a controller and gyro. Freaking awesome.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Anybody have any good Switch layouts for Skyrim SE? I just installed the Pro Controller but it seems like since it's new, there are no available controller configurations for Skyrim right now. And I honestly have no clue how to map anything well lol.

Also, for some reason but while I'm in Steam Big Picture mode, the left side of the Pro Controller rumbles way more than the right side. I never felt that issue when playing the Switch.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody have any good Switch layouts for Skyrim SE? I just installed the Pro Controller but it seems like since it's new, there are no available controller configurations for Skyrim right now. And I honestly have no clue how to map anything well lol.

Also, for some reason but while I'm in Steam Big Picture mode, the left side of the Pro Controller rumbles way more than the right side. I never felt that issue when playing the Switch.

If you are not finding anything you like right now, you can toggle to see other controller bindings on the community bindings page, and you can look out for DS4 specific ones, which will work with the Switch controller pretty easily. Also in the BPM controller settings section, you can choose whether you want the ABXY to be "switched" to match the nintendo configs, or kept the same.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I really really wish that the track pads on the steam controller were sprung on bladders instead of the metal spring.

As they are, they are too loud and too stiff. I've played with my steam controller a lot and I swear some of the best settings I've come up with are hamstrung by this. If the track pads button function felt just like the one on the PS4 controller, I would be very happy.

This is really my only wish for a revision.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I really really wish that the track pads on the steam controller worst sprung on bladders instead of the metal spring.

As they are, they are too loud and too stiff. I've played with played with my steam controller a lot and I swear some of the best settings I've come up with are hamstrung by this.

Fully agreed, way too stiff.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

Sorry for all those typos. My text-to-speech with this forum software is a train wreck.

But anyway, here's how stiff: this weekend, I was playing overload and I had this lightbulb moment about a new way to Output a right analog stick on the trackpad. It was essentially "analog stick movement" but required a press of the pad to input.

And it was amazing. The accuracy, the intuitiveness was awesome. Like having a big dished d-pad. Of course the trackpad is stiff and loud, but it was working so well I figured I could just get used to it.

Five or six hours later -and bear in mind I was totally enjoying myself. I wasn't even noticing the pad being stiff at that point- my hand very suddenly cramped right at the base of my thumb. In fact it's a few days later and I'm still slightly strained.

And I'm positive this is my best solution yet for analog camera but it's a no-go because the the pads are just sprung too firmly. I have two steam controllers and I have half a mind to open one up and attempt to modify this.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
But anyway, here's how stiff: this weekend, I was playing overload and I had this lightbulb moment about a new way to Output a right analog stick on the trackpad. It was essentially "analog stick movement" but required a press of the

Are you talking about holding down the button and sliding your finger while the button is pressed or just clicking and holding a particular direction?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Are you talking about holding down the button and sliding your finger while the button is pressed or just clicking and holding a particular direction?

Sort of walking, rolling and tapping the thumb around. So if I press a direction, I can either hold my thumb there and roll it slightly to modulate the input, or tap it like a d-pad to modulate.

This was a simple setup. The outer deadzone was only about a 25-30%of the total surface so there was not much actual movement of the thum and virtually no sliding of ohe thumb. Just "rolling".

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Heads up

With the news of the iOS / tvOS / Android Steam Link app and Steam Controller support, also comes news of an update for the Steam Controller that will enable Bluetooth support

We're adding BLE support to the Steam Controller in the next week

Yes, but it's going to remain opt-in for the forseeable future because this really is about enabling the functionality of the app. Over BLE we can only support one controller and there's more latency so it's not a full replacement for using a dongle.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Heads up

With the news of the iOS / tvOS / Android Steam Link app and Steam Controller support, also comes news of an update for the Steam Controller that will enable Bluetooth support

Very nice. This will be useful for both my laptop and phone, providing the latency increase isn't that bad.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
So what's the gyro like on the Switch pro controller?

I tried the ps4 controller gyro and it did not feel as accurate as the Steam Controller's gyro.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

Okay im doing a bit of research and the spring is called a tactile switch or snap dome. It is not soldered to the PCB but taped on. This is a standard type of part and they can be ordered with specific size, style and FORCE. I'm going to look into it a bit more later.

After looking at the internals of the controller again, I call see why you may not want to use a bladder. I'd be willing to try a dome with much lower force as a drop in replacement, as long as I can get it. Could be a huge improvement to the controller.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible to set up the Dualshock 4 so the light changes color per game?

As in, for example, i play Doom and it changes to red, and then i go back, launch Stardew Valley and it changes to green, or a color chosen by me in any case.

Not like i actually need it, but it would be a neat thing to do.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Okay im doing a bit of research and the spring is called a tactile switch or snap dome. It is not soldered to the PCB but taped on. This is a standard type of part and they can be ordered with specific size, style and FORCE. I'm going to look into it a bit more later.

After looking at the internals of the controller again, I call see why you may not want to use a bladder. I'd be willing to try a dome with much lower force as a drop in replacement, as long as I can get it. Could be a huge improvement to the controller.

Keep us posted, I am very curious to know if a different part is going to open up new configuration possibilities.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Is there a way to force a certain set of button prompts? After setting up my X1 controller so that holding B makes a quick save in Witcher 3, the game now shows Steam controller button prompts which bothers me a little.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to set up the Dualshock 4 so the light changes color per game?

As in, for example, i play Doom and it changes to red, and then i go back, launch Stardew Valley and it changes to green, or a color chosen by me in any case.

Not like i actually need it, but it would be a neat thing to do.
Yup. Find the "Always On" button in the config tool (it's between the select button and dpad) and click on the Light Bulb on the top right of the keyboard. You can also change colors based on the current layer or action set you're using.