• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
vHC7Mkj.png

ChaRxqO.png

This thread aims to be a resource for understanding Steam Input - the umbrella term referring to the entire collection of software, hardware, and configuration utilities that Steam uses to interface with games.

Valve's Steam Controller hardware and the Steam Input Configurator software were developed to find a solution to lounge PC gaming and having every PC game playable with a controller - including the games without native controller support that expect a mouse / keyboard. The Steam Input Configurator helps the hardware behave as multiple input devices, offering a myriad of customisation and hybrid combinations for tailoring the controller to specific games and personal choice. Configs can be shared via the Steam Community.

Both have successfully developed over the past two years to become extremely powerful tools for lounge PC gaming. These tools are now opened up to other popular controllers, which are only limited by the controller's capabilities. Current support includes:
Steam Input divides all games into Legacy and Native Support
  • Legacy- Most PC games are designed around limited input, such as gamepad only, or mouse and keyboard only, or both. Many will not let you mix and match. The Steam Input Configurator has many options to work around this.
  • Native - Developers can use the Steam Controller API (SCAPI) to write input for their game. The system revolves around "actions" rather than buttons. This opens a wealth of options as the game is not limited to any one input device. Eg In Okami, you can bind all painting to motion controls despite the developers config not including Mouse / Gyro by default.
As a case study, let's focus on the Steam Controller, which is capable of using all of the features available.

bGdCibO.png

The Steam Controller has extra flexibility from haptics, trackpads, gyros, accelerometer, dual stage triggers, grip buttons, heavy software integration and dynamic firmware. Ergonomically, the Steam Controller is also unique compared to traditional controllers. This is in order to angle users thumb tips to the trackpads for greater precision and to give greater comfort for using triggers, bumpers and grips.

f96iVN1.jpg
5yapaCT.jpg

fAOaQlx.jpg
Bvyoc2H.jpg

Additionally without Steam the controller itself is detected by a PC (or other device) as an actual mouse and keyboard (Lizard Mode). This allows basic functionality on any device that supports a mouse / keyboard, from old consoles such as the Dreamcast, to your Android phone or even your own PC UEFI bios.

Steam is required for the full suite of customisability and on the fly changes via Steam's Overlay in big picture mode (BPM). You can also use non-Steam games and anything else on your PC that is outside of Steam, by simply adding them to the Steam Client as a non-Steam game.

FX7eO2h.png

The Steam Input Configurator supports multiple styles of input, all of which are heavily customisable and can be mixed to match any particular game. The controller can handle:

Xinput Controls (eg Xbox 360 Pad)
All controller functions with exception of the guide button can be mapped straight to the controller or rearranged and customised. The grips act as additional buttons to this, while the dual stage analogue triggers can bind multiple functions eg aim, fire, hip fire from a single trigger.

Keyboard / Mouse bindings
Every keyboard key with the exception of the Windows key can be mapped to various Steam Controller input modalities. Mouse movement can be mapped over one trackpad or blended over both trackpads. The functions of a 5 button mouse can be bound to the controller including left, right, middle, scroll up, scroll down and the two additional buttons.

Scroll Wheel
Clockwise or anticlockwise rotation of the outer ring of the trackpad simulates functionality of a scroll wheel, click wheel etc.

Joystick Mouse
Converts analogue stick movements into mouse movements. A great solution for some older games that support controller but may have odd sections where a mouse is required. If you happen to have a traditional gamepad, this can be a rough solution for using the mouse. There are many settings to play with should you want higher or lower base sensitivity. Also keep in mind that Steam will automatically use this mode for some games that have launchers where a controller can not normally be used.

Mouse
The biggest use for the Steam Controller is to solve providing velocity based movement - something that most PC games rely on or require from you to stay competitive / even find a game playable. The haptic feedback and trackpad simulate a trackball mouse allowing for velocity based control. The sensation is of an actual ball in the controller, with a simulated size, mass, momentum etc. Friction can be adjusted so that flicks take longer to decay. As with any trackball, returning your thumb to the pad will immediately stop your turn. This solution compensates for the lack of surface area and produces excellent results with practice. Below shows quick 180s possible with the trackball simulation at a low sensitivity.
SKANGIU.gif

Mouse & Motion Control (gyro / accelerometer)
Gyros can also be used and customised in many ways to provide further modulation of velocity based control. A popular use case is to have higher sensitivity on the trackpads and lower sensitivity on the gyros.Here is an example video of motion controls set in such a way for MGS V where the motion controls activate only when the thumb is on the right trackpad.
gFE3tBu.gif

Mouse-Like Joystick
For the vast majority of PC players who want to keep velocity based aim rather than that of an analogue stick, this option communicates with the game in such a way as to make trackpad movements translate into analogue stick outputs that behave as a mouse would - velocity based. There are limits to this approach. You must make sure the game's camera / right joystick sensitivities are at their maximum. You will also need to compensate for any deadzone added by the game. There are a myriad of options here to do this and thankfully many cunning members of the community have got configs ready to go so you won't have to do too much leg work.

Mouse Regions
In games that have specific areas of the screen you may want to jump to and use the mouse frequently, Mouse Regions are the solution. These are great for old CRPGs and RTS where you may want to make quick jumps. The below image for KOTOR, shows a visualisation of how I am using mouse regions to easily access the on screen menus rather than use lots of hotkeys. The blue circles are the custom area I mapped the mouse region on each pad:
Pkl8AK6.jpg

There are many more tricks you can do utilising different button combinations. The below example resolves point and click movement, by creating a mouse region based that reacts based on analogue stick movement:
Mouse Region Demonstration
On6TVLc.gif

RScehHO.png

Touch Menus
Touch Menus,
as shown above are a way of changing the trackpads into a touchable hotkey system. This is very useful for games that have a lot of key shortcuts. You can customise these to your hearts content using all manner of symbols / images / colours. This is limited to about 16 hotkeys per menu. The menu is an overlay and will show a representation of your thumb if you like. If you choose to memorise the menu, you can press specific locations and not see the menu.

Radial Menus
Turn the trackpad into a circular menu. The size of this menu can be customised and supports upwards of 20 hotkeys per menu. Again, there are many options to customise this how you want, change it's size location and usage. The menu enlarges the icon you are currently selecting. You can also simply click there area you need if choose to memorise it. Here is an example from Elite Dangerous:
BtulDSd.jpg

Directional Pad / Button Pad
Splits the trackpad into multiple segments, or in the case of the dpad can support different layouts to suit taste. Cross-Gate, more closely matches the indentations already on the pad rather than segmented slices
8kpamY4.jpg

You can choose if the dpad needs to be pressed to activate or touched, change the dead zone to suit the activity. A very small dead zone can allow for rocking of the thumb to activate directions. Here is a video with impressions of the dpad functionality in some platformers

Joystick Move / Joystick Camera
Movement emulates a stick on touch pads. The origin can be central as a traditional stick or dynamic, where the origin begins where you start movement.

Keyboard Typing
There is also an on screen keyboard solution integrated into BPM that can be called at any time, either in game, via the overlay or while web browsing. It splits the keys over the two trackpads and ghosts your thumb positions. The key positions are absolute and the pads need to be clicked to type, making it a similar experience to texting on a smart phone but with some added feedback.

UmLn1kp.gif

Steam Chords
Steam chords are slightly different to the above features. Steam Chords are functions that are persistent regardless of whether you are in game, using particular bindings or out of game (so long as Steam in open). Chords all use the Steam Guide button in combination with another button to trigger a function. By default, most of these functions are for utility, such as screenshots, powering off the controller, opening the keyboard etc:
CTwmAFQ.png

3WzdsmI.png

A key feature of the Steam Input Configurator is the ability for sharing controller configurations per application, whether these are Steam games or non-Steam games, and regardless of the type of controller.
GsE3RiU.png

• Recommended - In this section you can find the developers preferred solutions. This can vary from full native support via SCAPI or config sets created by the developers. For older games there may be no recommendation as the developer hasn't defined one
SCAPI / Native Support
Native Steam Input support utilises actions rather than buttons. These can be utilised for any kind of input you want. Typically a config will be split into action sets - a config that is specific to a scenario, eg when you are in a menu, when driving etc. These are developer defined and often have unique actions included. As an example here is what Okami's Native support looks like:
1jVWTFK.png

As an example of customisation, you can change anything you want that the developer may not have considered. In the above example, I have set mouse input to the right pad so all camera controls behave as a mouse would with velocity based movement. Additionally, I altered the Celestial Brush to be motion controlled - which is awesome!
  • Personal - Here you can find any configs you have made and saved for an application
  • Your Friends - Here you'll find any configs created by Steam friends
  • Community - Links to all publicly exported configs from the Steam Community. You can sort these by votes or collective playtime and filter by controller types. You can also preview each binding to understand any minor changes someone made.
  • Your Other Games - Any configs that you saved for other applications can be found here. This is very useful if you like something you made previously and want to make some smaller modifications
  • Preset Templates - If you want to start from scratch creating some bindings, the Steam Input Configurator has several different preset templates. Depending on the type of controller you have and the features it can utilise. Below are specific to the Steam Controller's features:
Xm8mVed.png

3p9Q3ri.png

Whether you want to come up with a scheme from scratch or want to build upon one of the community bindings or templates, you can enter the game options for a game and head to "configure controller". There are so many options and permutations that I can't possibly go into much depth, so here are some choice features that are quite powerful

Activators
Any button can have activators applied to make it multi-functional or to only activate when a certain style of press is used.
This includes regular press / double press / long press / start press / release press / chorded press.
There is a lot of depth here including all manner of combinations, timings and adding multiple per button. There are also options for frequency of input upon a type of press, whether these are interuptable, toggles etc.

Mode Switching
Holding a button will change the controller bindings to a completely different set. This can be for just a specific set of buttons. A fun lazy example I have used previously is having each grip button (which are already set to specific functions) also apply touch menus to each trackpad only when held:
LJnvvY9.png

Action Sets
Similar to mode switching, except this lets you activate an entirely new set of controls for the entire controller at the press of either a button, combination, or any other arrangement of activators. A great example is having driving controls activate when only when you use a specific combination or just the button to get into / out of a vehicle. Using this option will start you off with a blank controller config to create.
An awesome option here is choosing what activates the action set. For example, some games will bring up a mouse cursor, but are otherwise controller centric. You can actually trigger an action set only when a mouse cursor appears. This is an excellent option for games like Shadow of Mordor, where you can have the flexibility and speed of both input types.

Action Layers
As above, except this time consider it similar to a photoshop layer. The previous Action Set / Config you selected will be recreated, and you can then modify the layer. This opens a wealth of options. An excellent usage can be in older CRPGs / RTS games where different button combinations can create different mouse regions so you can glide through inventory / setting menus / build queues / map / path finding

Outer Ring Binding
Set a touchpad's outer ring to a perform a different action / modifier etc, set turbo functionality on hold for rapid presses when held in one are, change the repeat interval and rate of the turbo. For example this could be useful for sprinting without having to move from the trackpads

Analogue Joystick / Trigger Response Curve
Adjust how the variance in the action of the stick or trigger changes dependant on the distance travelled. For the triggers there are also multiple different styles to suit the type of activation you want, such as hipfire settings for light quick activation to aid burst fire accuracy in some games.

Mouse-Like Joystick Options
Again, there are a ridiculous amount of options hidden in the additional options section of this input type. A recent addition is "Enhance Small Movement Precision". In some games when using this simulated mouse setup, you may still not quite have the accuracy you need unless you go for extreme sensitivity, which may get jittery. This option helps curtail that. I love using this in games like FFXV to get as close to mouse input as possible, while utilising gamepad controls so I can simultaneously use analogue movement systems.
5MnKNLP.png

Dpad
Change whether the pad needs to be pressed to activate or touched, change the dead zone to suit the activity. A very small dead zone can allow for rocking of the thumb to activate directions. Vary haptic feedback to suit taste. There are also different layout configurations to suit taste and situation, including Cross-gate that more closely matches the indentations of the controller.
54che1F.png

Mouse Customisation
There's a lot of mouse customisation to suit a whole lot of scenarios. A particularly useful option is the trackball friction. Doom's developer config demonstrates the utility of this option. Light flicks can be utilised for longer tracking of enemies or simply looking around, but this can also provide excellent freedom to make extremely quick flick turns, while maintain more reasonable sensitivity for mouse aim overall.
Q6mDUKF.png

Triggers
Style of trigger can be changed to suit actions required. For example it is possible to have aim, fire and hip fire, all bound to a single trigger but activated based on different types of action
14VUmjx.png

AIdJgMB.png

- Useful Addition Tools
Great OP. A few tools that might come in handy:

- GloSC - This will allow you to use the Steam Controller with just about anything, including UWP games.
- OSOL- (Origin Steam Overlay Launcher) - An easy way to ensure that games with launchers will work with the Steam Overlay. It will also shut down the launcher when you are done with the game. Uplay tip: add upc.exe when it asks for the launcher.
- Steam Controller VSC View - Display your inputs (including trackpad swipes) for streaming and video recording. Tip: Select Theme first, then select controller.

- Dual analogue sticks work for everything though. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?

Dual analogue sticks render entire genres of PC games unplayable, and others performing abysmally and being unenjoyable to play compared to mouse wielding players. The hope for the Steam Controller is having a solution for comfortably playing these PC games. This means playing them competently when a mouse and keyboard is not convenient, while still being able to function well for standard controller centric games. Many PC games rely heavily on 1:1 velocity based movement that analogue sticks cannot provide.

- All Console / PC / Platform Warring / Thread Shitting
oLtWkl6.gif

JQGmsfj.png

02-May-2018 - Switch Pro Controller Support - Now in Beta
OTCbTca.png

Last edited:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It has transformed my PC gaming, I love the tech. I just wish it wasn't limited to Steam, it is very hit and miss with stuff from Origin and other places.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I've been waiting for a steam controller revision. I like the pads but hate the tiny button layout. If they made the right lad smaller and put it on the bottom and a bigger button layout on top then I think it would be perfect.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So glad to finally see this thread. <3

Steam Input has changed how I approach PC games, especially with the Steam Controller too.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Wooooo! Nice OP.

Absolutely love the Steam Controller, and for awhile whilst getting frustrated with the DS4 I was sorely tempted to get a convertor to use the SC on my PS4. I've managed to adapt to the tiny DS4 now, but I love the size of the SC... And those grip buttons! Hot damn! :D I will never not recommend the SC to people.

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
The Steam Controller is pretty great. Mainly using it for FPS games for more accurate aiming and it's really hard to go back to traditional controllers.

Does anyone here actually like the mouse-like joystick feature? Tried using it in The Surge and hated it. I always try to bind the right trackpad as mouse as often as possible.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, Nzyme32!
Where do you find those pictures of the Steam Controller from behind? First I'm seeing them, lol.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's really neat. Just two questions though.

Does it have Rumble?
Does it work with Nvidia Shield?

Yes, the Steam Controller has rumble. It can emulate the rumble from an Xinput (Xbox 360/Xbox One controller), or you can add your own haptic feedbacks options in. Games with native Steam Input support can also do fancy things with the rumble akin to what Nintendo does on the Switch.

Nov 8, 2017
I have a Steam Controller, and it has impressive features but in the end I never use it. It turns out using a wireless KB and Mouse on my couch worked fine, and I always ended up preferring it to the Steam Pad for my use case - lots of strategy games, lots of FPS, and I'm very comfortable using an XBO pad for 3rd person action / adventure type games. An interesting experiment, though.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I want to take advantage of this, but I don't want to reroute all of my games, emulated or otherwise, through Steam and ditch DS4Windows when I've been routing everything through Launchbox and having a much easier time doing so.

I might have to do it though; Steam's controller seems far more flexible.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly don't have a Steam Controller as it's not sold officially here and I can only find occasionally on the grey market with a huge mark up but I've been loving what i can do with my Dualshock 4 with this

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Amazingly detailed thread, and I'm glad a thread about Steam input did finally turn up. It's really an amazing piece of software that's getting improved all the time, and it's just far and above any other PC controller software. You can do so much to make games play well on any modern controller, although I have also got even a USB NES controller working just fine through Steam as well.

I really hope they come out with a new controller soon though, because they have surely gotten good feedback on it so far and could probably back some nice improvements. Really hoping on bumpers with trackpads on them, for the sake of more touch menus.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
1. Thank you so much for this thread!
2. Damn you for making this thread, as now I have to finally buy one of these things.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome OP. On my watch list.

I purchased a steamlink for super cheap last year and it has been terrific overall. Paired with a dualshock 4 which works well overall but its limitations for converting certain types of PC games over became apparent. Waiting on a cheap deal on a steam controller to make the switch. I love the community control mapping option and have noticed some devs have released official ones for their games. Its also neat that the community can add contol mapping sets for non steam games. I was using one for guildwars 2 not long ago.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'd say one of my favorite games to use a Steam controller with is probably World of Warcraft. MMOs with lots of hotkeys like that benefit greatly from touch menus. And the gyro makes it much easier to click things. Life as a healer in WoW is fairly easy with a SC.

I'm also making use of the SC's touchpads to learn / play some basic piano lol.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Greeeatt thread thanks! If I may ask one question,when using the steam controller, is there a way to turn off the left analogue stick haptic feedback in Big Picture Mode without disabling it globally for my computer. While in-game, that feedback is defaulted to off, but it re-emerges once I'm back in BPM and navigating through menus. I do not have this similar problem with my xbox one controller or PS4 controller in BPM. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Steam lets me handle my DS4. It's what made playing FFXIV with a pad tolerable.
Greeeatt thread thanks! If I may ask one question,when using the steam controller, is there a way to turn off the left analogue stick haptic feedback in Big Picture Mode without disabling it globally for my computer. While in-game, that feedback is defaulted to off, but it re-emerges once I'm back in BPM and navigating through menus. I do not have this similar problem with my xbox one controller or PS4 controller in BPM. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
There are separate bindings for Big Picture mode, in BPM settings.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The steam controller doesn't fit well in my hands and I hope that whenever they do a revision, it will fit me better.
But I use Steam input a lot with the Xbone controller. It's really quite an awesome feature.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great idea for a thread!

I should really get a steam controller since I have steam link and it runs so well.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Main issue is that it is limited to Steam.

I have been using other programs, essentially just Joy2Key, with alternating profiles selectable from the pad, since 2006, and I can perform more functions and play more games using it tbh. And now with DS4Windows there is really no need for me to have big picture.

There are a lot more options available on PC to do whatever you want. I can do more on the desktop itself and launch games individually with full controller compatibility and no need for Steam Big Picture or steam's controller support.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I own a Steam controller and have had extensive use with it. Can anyone vouch for playing a CRPG, 4x and RTS with one and how well those experiences were? I could bust mine out, but I'm just lazy and curious

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I own a Steam controller and have had extensive use with it. Can anyone vouch for playing a CRPG, 4x and RTS with one and how well those experiences were? I could bust mine out, but I'm just lazy and curious
I love using it for Civ V, if that's anything. It just feels so natural to use.
you get out what you put in when it comes to the steam controller

so you can have an awkward not that great control scheme that you just sort of picked at random from the community after 15 seconds of browsing and come away wondering what the fuck this goofy thing is

or you can have the most versatile, accurate, and intuitive control scheme you can imagine on a controller, but it might take you a half an hour of work and research

if thats not worth it to you, that's fine, but i think its great
Making your own configs is honestly so much better, since only you know what you like when it comes to controls.

Last edited:

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
PROTIP: Make sure to add Nabs as your Steam friend and use his SteamCon configs.

Main issue is that it is limited to Steam.

It's not, really.
You can either add your non-Steam game to Steam library and use all the functions or just configure Desktop configuration to match your needs. You will miss out on Steam Overlay related features in the second case though.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love using it for Civ V, if that's anything. It just feels so natural to use.

I've used it for Civilization V, VI, Stellaris, FTL and Cities: Skylines. All fantastic once you have a working configuration (and in the case of Civ VI, ditch the default config for a better one because it's native support sucks.)

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
you get out what you put in when it comes to the steam controller

so you can have an awkward not that great control scheme that you just sort of picked at random from the community after 15 seconds of browsing and come away wondering what the fuck this goofy thing is

or you can have the most versatile, accurate, and intuitive control scheme you can imagine on a controller, but it might take you a half an hour of work and research

if thats not worth it to you, that's fine, but i think its great

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Fantastic thread. I'd like to post something more about the API side of this later.

The steam controller doesn't fit well in my hands and I hope that whenever they do a revision, it will fit me better.
I'm not sure if I have to hope "against" you here :P
It's the only controller I can hold naturally and directly use all 4 shoulder buttons with a separate finger.
I hope it's possible to keep that property while also making it work for you.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice, seems like a good thread. I've had the controller for a while now but I'm not feeling it yet, and partially I'm sure that's because I haven't really tweaked it at all - cause I have no idea what I'm doing. I've just downloaded the popular per-game layouts and off I go.

Will have to take a closer look at this thread the next time I'm playing something on PC I'd like to try SC with.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Good idea for a thread. I feel like people have been sleeping on the Steam input support which to me is the best thing Valve have done with Steam for a long time. I have no plans to own an actual Steam controller but the fact I can finally use dinput pads in any game I want without having to use extra software is great.

I use a model 2 Saturn pad via converter for most 2D games and previously I would come up with problems. Some games only used xinput so I'd have to use xpadder to bind to the keyboard instead. Worse was when some games did detect the pad but I couldn't reassign buttons or prevent double inputs if binding to the keyboard at the same time. Steam input has solved all of this, now I can get games just see the pad as an xinput controller and I can deal with missing buttons by assigning them to special inputs. Eg with saturn I usually go for making the start button work as both start and back functions with a short or long press.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Any tips on how to make touchpad's camera control closer to analog stick?
In general or do you have a specific use case? In what ways do you feel it doesn't currently emulate it correctly?

Are you using Joystick Camera over Joystick Move? Does the game have camera mouse control so you can use Mouse Joystick?

A lot of the time I think it's a mix of messing with sensitivities, deadzones, and even haptics to match your preferences. That can be tedious and frustrating sometimes, but it gets easier after you've messed with it a bunch.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips on how to make touchpad's camera control closer to analog stick?

A quick(ish) way is to change the edge-spin settings. This is my setting for Dark Souls 3:

It gives an approximate feel of a console joystick camera move, though you'll notice that vertical sensitivity is pretty low - for third-person games I prefer high horizontal/low vertical, since there's more movement required on the horizontal. I also map the camera left/right keys to the grip buttons, so that I have camera movement independent of thumb - this means that I can use dodge and move the camera at the same time (something I wished I could do so many times during my recent playthrough of Horizon: Zero Dawn).

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Have they said anything about some of the features coming to keyboard/mouse? Because I'd love to have the radial menu available when I'm playing with kb/m, or is that already possible?

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I prefer traditional gamepads for games that works better with pad.

Other games are controllable with the steam controller but I still play better with mouse.
The configurability is really awesome and if you are patient enough to fine tune every game around your own preferences, then you have a great device to use with your pc/tv

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Recently switched from using a keyboard with a track pad to a Steam Controller for Stellaris. So much more comfortable.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Great OP! I'd like to share some Steam Controller beginner tips.

1) It takes practice. It's normal to have a hard time with it at first but keep at it.Play different games, try different templates and see what suits your playstyle.

2) Try to keep your controller templates the same or similar when playing games in the same genre. Your goal should be to build new muscle memory for the Steam Controller so using similar templates for similar games will help a ton. For example, make sure that all of your first person shooter templates use the same basic buttons for running, crouching, ADS, grenades etc. It's tempting to try out all sorts of crazy configurations and tailor them to each game specifically but you should leave that for later, after you've become proficient in using the controller.

3) In my opinion, the best configuration for the right touchpad (or the left if you are left handed) when it comes to first-person or third-person aiming is trackball mode with low trackball friction. The goal is to have a low enough sensitivity to be able to aim with precision while also having the ability to turn fast by flicking and stopping the trackball.

4) If a game that requires a lot of aiming doesn't support simultaneous mouse and gamepad inputs, use a keyboard-based template. The mouse joystick setting does its job fine for third-person games that use the right analog stick for camera control but it's no substitute for actual mouse input if you have to aim. For example, Mouse Joystick is fine in Dark Souls if you won't be using a bow. It's also fine in Castlevania Lords of Shadow since that game doesn't have a lot of aiming and it's mostly basic camera control.

5) Since some older games don't support gamepads and in others you might prefer a keyboard and mouse template, you will have to deal with keyboard prompts in some games. This is another issue that building muscle memory and keeping templates consistent will help with. For example, if you set your jump button to be the X button in all your shooters you won't have to remember which specific button corresponds to the [spacebar] prompt in an older game or in a game for which you are using a keyboard template. Your hand will go to the X button instinctively when you want to jump.

6) I've found that in games that use the face buttons extensively for attacking, like Castelevania:Lords of Shadow, it's way better to map the attack buttons to the triggers and move the default trigger functions to the paddles.