• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Users are reporting they can't play offline either. The people at Steam are merging all the threads about it but there's still no official comment about it or an ETA for it being fixed. I can't launch Steam at all.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/

UPDATE: Looks like it is back up for everyone.

Last edited:

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I dunno, my steam seems to run just fine. I've been playing some online games literally 5 minutes ago.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Working servers are now exclusive to the Epic Store.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Steam seems OK for me right now, but the search servers (which give you results when searching, or return an error when down I guess) were down for too long yesterday. Had to google direct links to find the games I was looking for.

Didn't see anyone else mention it at the time so I'm assuming it was not affecting too many folks.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
When I moved to Oregon several years back, I was able to play offline just fine until my internet was setup. I remember Civ 4 held me through a lot of long boring days.

When you can't connect you should be given the option to "start in offline mode".

img_5976e8f6d1611.jpg

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably a DOS attack by some small group of people, but Steam uses multiple worldwide servers so if you switch your server (which you can do from Settings on Steam), you should be fine. also offline mode won't be affected at all as you can play anything you have already installed.

Where I am in the US the steam Store search function isn't working nor the market, but everything else is. I think it fixed itself an hour or two ago though. I recall the last time something like this happened it was also because of a DOS attack.

Oct 25, 2017
I lost connection briefly this afternoon, but after about 20 minutes I was able to access services again and haven't noticed a drop since. Steamstatus doesn't seem to be showing any issues, so perhaps there's a larger internet backbone issue?

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steam has been down for hours*

* For some people.

(None of my Monster Hunter friends are having issues either thankfully it seems.)

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
Works fine for me, Washington D.C. server. Was able to go offline mode with no issues.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It works on my end. (Los Angeles)

How would you be unable to play offline though?

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The pinned topic linked via the OP has over 800 posts, and there are nunerous similar topics there.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I tried searching for a game earlier today and could not connect to that function, however the store page was working. It's working fine now though.

Dom6

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having issues as well. Was in the middle of downloading Hitman 2 earlier when the connection just died. Shortly after that, I went to relaunch and was unable to get back in.

It's hard to say how their authentication / logins are done behind the scenes, but obviously based on comments here only some users are impacted. Enough users though where I've seen this talked about or mentioned when I did some digging on Twitter, forums, and now here.

Technically, maybe an issue with an associated login/auth server or systems, database that houses affected accounts, or a backend carrier/ISP routing or peering issue - we'll probably never know but my guesses.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Logged fine, farming cards just fine, online games fine, marketplace and workshop fine.
Seems everything is fine.

Brazil for that matter.

Edit: Web, Client & app tested. All fine (for now?).