• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
mrbobman15

mrbobman15

Jan 21, 2019
Weird how I can talk about records, film and all sorts of other hobbies in various places online no problem. Trans artists putting out records, trans characters in films. Yet this is the only broadly game-centric place that gives enough of a fuck to make moves against things like transphobia.

bUt iTs A hUMan pRobLeM nOt a gAmeR pRobLEm

Miss me with that shit. Know plenty of women that have been part of film clubs, hiking communities and don't get bullied out of cinemas but join an online game with a mic and suddenly they face every sexist insult and rape threat under the sun.

Yes

we need action if we want change in this industry. It's our job to be speak up when white/neo-nazi/gamergaters try to gatekeep this hobby. I'm really sick of these people having a massive voice in this industry when they really do not represent the majority. The alt-right has become really good at taking over forums and getting young men to believe in their ideology.

It's something that needs to be addressed, we need platform holders and users to stop the spread of hate seriously.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Not really sure you can ban people for criticising a game (incorrectly) as being woke. Where do you draw the line? These are discussion points that are debunked but aren't really bannable offences. You can't control every little thing in forum discussions.

There is rarely time where the word "woke" is used and the context isn't sexist, racist, homophobic or transphobic.

That is basically what the word means.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
So... Bethesda not banning the racists on the board they control is...

Gabe Newell's plan?

Come on. Just, like... What?

Edit: I might just bow out now, as it's obvious people just want to vent about the symptoms and not really talk about why some publishers don't moderate the boards they have full control over.

This isn't just about the steam forums, but it's also about the rampant racism that you can find in steam groups. These are not managed by publishers and are on Valve to moderate and ban people.

The PCGamer article linked the OP has a few examples of egregious hate groups that were allowed to run for years.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that each Steam forum is moderated by each company, like the Deathloop one is moderated by Bethesda. Isn't like that?

Still the Steam forums are disgusting, there's no forum of a game on Steam where you don't find something racist or homophobic.

They're often not moderated at all by the company because the moderation tools are awful. A lot of companies just don't bother and leave those communities to their own devices as a result.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That logic is silly. They created the untenable problem themselves, but somehow it isn't their problem to solve?

Also people would want Cloudfire to shut down something like an obvious Nazi message board, yes.

It's really not. The people who create ink aren't responsible for what people write with it.

They can choose who to sell to or denounce people who use it in a way that doesn't adhere to their morals and ethics, but it's not on them to police what others to do with it.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't go to Steam forums and now I'm glad I don't. This is one of the only forums I visit because the mods somewhat care and its members too.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's really not. The people who create ink aren't responsible for what people write with it.

They can choose who to sell to or denounce people who use it in a way that doesn't adhere to their morals and ethics, but it's not on them to force others to do as they say with it.

The people that sell you ink aren't providing you a live platform that possesses the ability to monitor what is written with the ink and make changes in real time to anyone that used the ink.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Now, all that being said, I could see Valve doing something like, for example, if a game's social spaces on steam exceed a certain threshold of reported posts that go without action, those boards are closed or suspended because ultimately, it is the responsibility of the devs and publishers to moderate those areas, and if they aren't, it should be considered a breach of contract.

But I'll tell you what, if they did that, the same right wing chuds would absolutely abuse that system in order to get progressive games' social spaces taken down.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Not to come across as curt, but I didn't say the approach lacks arguable merit. I said it isn't a solution.

And it isn't. I understand why Valve operates Steam Community in the largely laissez-faire-ish manner that it does (it's quite literally impossible to moderate content in real time when your platform sees thousands of posts every hour), but something being practical doesn't necessarily mean it's also reasonable.

Valve doing better would be hard, absolutely, but it could do better. It's not binary.
I'm not saying it's binary either. I'm saying this has been discussed to death since the mid 90's and noone really has proven it is either financially viable or there is profit to be made from doing so. I would like to prove that point if I had the chance but for the time being you are just going to see more companies do the same thing.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
There are things they can do, sure.

But asking them to take over moderation responsibilities is silly.

Valve/Steam has decided in 2018 to moderate forums too, though developers can opt out of this option:

www.theverge.com

Valve is going to start moderating its Steam game discussion boards

Valve’s Steam platform moderators will start responding to flagged posts on game discussion boards.

But it doesn't look like it's working, most forums are filled with lots of racist posts.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't just about the steam forums, but it's also about the rampant racism that you can find in steam groups. These are not managed by publishers and are on Valve to moderate and ban people.

The PCGamer article linked the OP has a few examples of egregious hate groups that were allowed to run for years.

Yeah, absolutely, this is true. It's frustrating because I think the only way it really improves is for the equivalent of the UK's anti-football hooligan crackdown to occur - broadly, all the UK's football clubs came out strongly against racism and violence, and persona-non-grata'ing those who break the law. Which is why all the "It's Valve's responsibility" is frustrating - because if all that happens is Valve crackdown on abuse in the Steam forums and it moves elsewhere, then nothing really changes. Get the fucking industry bodies in on it, get EA, Square-Enix, Ubi, Epic and whatever, and push guidelines that run across multiple sites and social media, and go in hard on it. There's no 1st Amendment issues, because they're all private companies.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Weird how I can talk about records, film and all sorts of other hobbies in various places online no problem and never see a whiff of transphobic nonsense. Trans artists putting out records, trans characters in films, whatever. Yet this is the only broadly game-centric place I've found that gives enough of a fuck to make moves against things like transphobia in games and the community.

Miss me with that shit. Know plenty of women that have been part of film clubs, hiking communities, don't get bullied out of cinemas when they walk in, and innumerable other hobbies with discussions online and off but dare to join an online game with a mic and suddenly they face every sexist insult and rape threat under the sun.
🔥🔥🔥

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Valve/Steam has decided in 2018 to moderate forums too, though developers can opt out of this option:

www.theverge.com

Valve is going to start moderating its Steam game discussion boards

Valve’s Steam platform moderators will start responding to flagged posts on game discussion boards.

But it doesn't look like it's working, most forums are filled with lots of racist posts.
Yeah considering I've noticed almost zero change in the attitude or makeup of steam forums that aren't heavily moderated by their own teams, I'd say Valve waffled on this severely and them saying that 3 years ago was a mouthpiece effort.

Beyond the method I described earlier, I don't see how Valve could make any meaningful inroads on moderation. The stance should be "Make sure your yard is clean or we take away your yard".

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah considering I've noticed almost zero change in the attitude or makeup of steam forums that aren't heavily moderated by their own teams, I'd say Valve waffled on this severely and them saying that 3 years ago was a mouthpiece effort.

Beyond the method I described earlier, I don't see how Valve could make any meaningful inroads on moderation. The stance should be "Make sure your yard is clean or we take away your yard".

I mean, it shunts the problem around the internet, but that would clearly light a fire under some companies, so there would be a definite improvement for sure.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Weird how I can talk about records, film and all sorts of other hobbies in various places online no problem and never see a whiff of transphobic nonsense. Trans artists putting out records, trans characters in films, whatever. Yet this is the only broadly game-centric place I've found that gives enough of a fuck to make moves against things like transphobia in games and the community.

Miss me with that shit. Know plenty of women that have been part of film clubs, hiking communities, don't get bullied out of cinemas when they walk in, and innumerable other hobbies with discussions online and off but dare to join an online game with a mic and suddenly they face every sexist insult and rape threat under the sun.

All of this. I can even play tabletop without this shit, and that practically started nerd culture.

This is on Steam, and the industry in general. And the people up top don't want to fix it, because they identify with it. Period.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Because "gamers" aren't a thing beyond a description of somebody who plays games as a main hobby. "Moviegoers" have the same problem, chess players have the same problem and so on. Stop trying to tie any ideology or views to people who like to play games. It's going to leave you unnecessarily disappointed.

This is a nutshell.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I often ask if a game has controller support on its Steam forum because developers are never clear about it on the store page.

Every time the thread inevitably gets a ton of "only losers use controllers/controllers are kiddie/why would you use a controller on PC?!??!?" comments.

90% of the time when I look up the posting history of these people it is filled with anti-SJW/racist/misogynistic alt-right crap.

Controller threads are like a honeypot for Gamergaters and bigots.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I often ask if a game has controller support on its Steam forum because developers are never clear about it on the store page.

Every time the thread inevitably gets a ton of "only losers use controllers/controllers are kiddie/why would you use a controller on PC?!??!?" comments.

Urgh... Unironic "PC Master Race" wankers.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Because "gamers" aren't a thing beyond a description of somebody who plays games as a main hobby. "Moviegoers" have the same problem, chess players have the same problem and so on. Stop trying to tie any ideology or views to people who like to play games. It's going to leave you unnecessarily disappointed.

What about gamer enthusiasts? This is about people who like games so much, that they go on the steam forum to talk about them and thats not most people who play games. And places like the steam forums are especially bad, compared to movie or book forums.

Edi: The question should be, why is the venn diagram between "gaming enthusiasts" and bigots this high.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I see this in most gaming discussions in other parts, even in comments on sites like DSOG etc. Pretty depressing that I'm sharing this hobby with total scum. It's already bad enough I have to share this planet and the air I breathe with them.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It's straight up trash tbh.
I visit Discussions for my games often for gameplay help etc but holy shit I'm so sick of seeing racist/misogynist bullshit everywhere. How is this allowed to just…be there without any moderation?

Edit: like god forbid any game has a non-white MC or even just POC in general. Humanity fucking sucks

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
People wonder why some don't value Steam's forums because while it can be a great resource for certain things it's also a toxic cesspool. Outside of getting information on bugs or why my game isn't launching I don't even think the forums are as valuable as they once were thanks to stuff like Steam guides.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe because you choose your communities.
There was a lot of transphobia going on when discussion took place about the movie Ace Ventura on Netflix. Or sexism about Captain Marvel/Star Wars. Or racism regarding many movies.

Heck, I wont even touch sport. During last the last Euro of football, black players were harassed and insulted and people assaulted when UK lost.

It's not about whataboutism, but I feel like you're giving a pass to things that happened here. Not to say you did on purpose, I don't believe you did. But I think it's important to not erase that kind of thing to make a point.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Problem is that most moderation from Valve is reactive (so it reacts to reporting) rather than proactive (actively monitoring every single page). I can understand the reason behind that (considering that well you have 20k+ unique subforums) but reactive moderation is always worse than proactive one. They should at least have proactive monitoring of certain keywords that flags them for manual moderation. If we look from a reactive point of view they have improved on that aspect for a while (much faster bans, harsher punishments) but it is still very much kinda problem because not enough people report (and shit always ends up being hidden in plain sight).

There is also the problem of Valve in general being afraid of doing harsh punishments and mostly just doing "forum bans" instead of just full on Community bans. They also do not really seem to think some of their punishments like if you have a BAD name, they will just do a name change and leave it like that, which the user can just change the name back. They could just easily force them into the Steam-China position for those who had names changed due to bad name where name changes need to be approved by moderation (as well as remove the ability to make profile changes).

Also for the mother of god, have a fucking black list of words that are banned from usernames and profiles and that automatically flags posts for moderation. How the hell Valve hasnt done this easy solution is so stupid.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Steam shouldn't even have forums IMO.

Maybe just tech support for games, but definitely not for general discussions.

There are plenty of other websites to discuss games on.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
What about gamer enthusiasts? This is about people who like games so much, that they go on the steam forum to talk about them and thats not most people who play games. And places like the steam forums are especially bad, compared to movie or book forums.

Edi: The question should be, why is the venn diagram between "gaming enthusiasts" and bigots this high.

I couldn't say if or why it's more prevalent. Could be because of the already toxic culture of most game studios, could be because we're not as far along with bettering society as some of us used to think. It could be we see it in enthusiast gamers more because we're in an enthusiast gamer forum and read news from enthusiast sites, etc (the opposite of out of site out of mind I guess).

Baku

Jan 24, 2018

They can choose who to sell to or denounce people who use it in a way that doesn't adhere to their morals and ethics, but it's not on them to police what others to do with it.

Absolutely awful comparison. Valve is offering a platform, in the end they are responsible for it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, absolutely, this is true. It's frustrating because I think the only way it really improves is for the equivalent of the UK's anti-football hooligan crackdown to occur - broadly, all the UK's football clubs came out strongly against racism and violence, and persona-non-grata'ing those who break the law. Which is why all the "It's Valve's responsibility" is frustrating - because if all that happens is Valve crackdown on abuse in the Steam forums and it moves elsewhere, then nothing really changes. Get the fucking industry bodies in on it, get EA, Square-Enix, Ubi, Epic and whatever, and push guidelines that run across multiple sites and social media, and go in hard on it. There's no 1st Amendment issues, because they're all private companies.
So because you're frustrated on the lack of regulation, you feel that the onus should be put on multiple parties who all have to be dealt with separately rather than on a singular body who every one of those companies has to deal with in order to make use of their platform, and already uses that position to dole out responsibility to others, and if forced to comply with regulations is free to enact compliance with those regulations on other parties that use their platform?

I don't know why people are so scared just to say that Valve is responsible for their own business decisions and how they execute them.

Last edited:

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

Well letting people be able to have open discussions is a kind of community tech support. If Valve was more active in curbing the issue you can have both no problem without limiting the usefulness of the forum for adhoc support.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

90% of the time when I look up the posting history of these people it is filled with anti-SJW/racist/misogynistic alt-right crap.

Controller threads are like a honeypot for Gamergaters and bigots.

The other day I came across someone who was deliberately editing quotes to try and bait people into arguing with each other. It really is a shitshow.

Hard disagree. Forums are important for all sorts of things including discovery of bugs, workarounds, clarification for language/controller/input/accessibility options, regional restrictions, steam guides are often spun off from forum threads. They're also used a way of providing constructive feedback to developers (e.g. regional pricing, bugs, requests for features) especially for smaller titles. Bigger hubs of knowledge like PCGW often cite steam threads in their articles. They also become the defacto place to discuss other launcher versions of games because other launchers often don't have forums (e.g. the recent FFXIII gamepass release), so there's almost certainly a demand and need for it. While some of this is tech support, a lot of tech support adjacent stuff/features/usability bleeds into general game discussion as well.

The answer, as with most cases of assholes ruining a thing that could otherwise be a very good tool is more effective and harsher policing and moderation of the assholes. These sorts of people will always exist; the best you can do is make sure they have as little visibility on the platform as possible.

Yeah and honestly I don't know how feasible it is for there to be mods considering every game has its own forum. Also i think their value as a resource is greatly overstated particularly now with the existence of Steam Guides and such.

Steam guides often spin out organically as an attempt to collate and polish a lot of different reports and solutions detailed in many different forums threads. This is true for everything from guides for vague achievements, to those for performance fixes. They also usually don't show up for at least a while after launch except for in the most obvious cases or popular launches. I think much more automatic flagging and removal would be a good start, even if moderators can't be appointed en masse -- though devs can and should appoint some of their own I feel.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
There was a lot of transphobia going on when discussion took place about the movie Ace Ventura on Netflix. Or sexism about Captain Marvel/Star Wars. Or racism regarding many movies.

Heck, I wont even touch sport. During last the last Euro of football, black players were harassed and insulted and people assaulted when UK lost.

It's not about whataboutism, but I feel like you're giving a pass to things that happened here. Not to say you did on purpose, I don't believe you did. But I think it's important to not erase that kind of thing to make a point.

I mean, this is gaslighting and why we have the problems we have today. The gaming community is uniquely terrible. Yes, there's bigots everywhere, but they -thrive- in gaming communities because the gaming community does not give one fuck. Like she said, she turns on her mic and suddenly the hate flies. That's what it's like to be a marginalized gamer, its not the same in any other medium even with their racism. Like, going back to football, the equivalent would be your teammates throwing you off the field the second they realized you were queer, not-white, or female.

And the reason why I called your point gaslighting is its because we are here because for decades it was seen as -acceptable-. When the Twitch raids were getting some press before the protest, you had big white creators telling marginalized creators 'Oh, just use the tools' because getting called hateful things is business as usual. The jokes about Modern Warfare 2 360 era Xbox live chats, etc. We are talking about a hobby that created a mass bigoted protest called Gamergate which mutated into in real life consequences being fertile ground for radicalizing the alt-right.

But yes, not all gamers. Until we take a cold hard look at ourselves and what we accept we will continue to normalizing it and keep it acceptable. But there's this weird 'they are attacking us/our hobby' as if gaming isn't mainstream and going nowhere.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

I'm like, really not sure how you could read it as me giving a pass, even unintentionally, to things like racist abuse in football instead of making a point that perpetually drawing focus from issues found in the gaming community to a human level is stupid, and only done as a means to avoid confronting the problems this hobby has with things like rampant bigotry and misogyny.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is gaslighting and why we have the problems we have today. The gaming community is uniquely terrible. Yes, there's bigots everywhere, but they -thrive- in gaming communities because the gaming community does not give one fuck. Like she said, she turns on her mic and suddenly the hate flies. That's what it's like to be a marginalized gamer, its not the same in any other medium even with their racism. Like, going back to football, the equivalent would be your teammates throwing you off the field the second they realized you were queer, not-white, or female.

And the reason why I called your point gaslighting is its because we are here because for decades it was seen as -acceptable-. When the Twitch raids were getting some press before the protest, you had big white creators telling marginalized creators 'Oh, just use the tools' because getting called hateful things is business as usual. The jokes about Modern Warfare 2 360 era Xbox live chats, etc. We are talking about a hobby that created a mass bigoted protest called Gamergate which mutated into in real life consequences being fertile ground for radicalizing the alt-right.

But yes, not all gamers. Until we take a cold hard look at ourselves and what we accept we will continue to normalizing it and keep it acceptable. But there's this weird 'they are attacking us/our hobby' as if gaming isn't mainstream and going nowhere.

Why do you think no football players are coming out ?
Why do you think some plays have to be cancelled ?

It's not about saying "not all gamers", I give no fucks, people are trash. But I feel like people are dangerously forgetting terrible things happening elsewhere and say "it's fine there !" when it's not.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
You're gonna find people like this all over steam. I will say actually things have gotten better. If a game has a POC or LGBTQ character or allows for same-sex marriage you're gonna find shitty people. However, over the last couple years I've noticed they are more likely to get dogpiled on than usual.

There are some exceptions, some corners of steam, where that just isn't true and that is mostly because of the developer and the environment they create.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like, really not sure how you could read it as me giving a pass, even unintentionally, to things like racist abuse in football instead of making a point that perpetually drawing focus from issues found in the gaming community to a human level is stupid, and only done as a means to avoid confronting the problems this hobby has with things like rampant bigotry and misogyny.

Because when you claim it's not happening with other hobbies, it's how I read it.

And clearly, I'm not saying there's no problem with gaming. It's rampant and toxic af to the point I dont even engage with communities outside of this place (which can already be borderline at times).

What I'm saying though is that diminishing issues elsewhere to highlight the ones here... They're clearly big enough to not have to do that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Why do you think no football players are coming out ?
Why do you think some plays have to be cancelled ?

It's not about saying "not all gamers", I give no fucks, people are trash. But I feel like people are dangerously forgetting terrible things happening elsewhere and say "it's fine there !" when it's not.
I'm sorry but its stupid of you to think that because I don't mention the issues in literally every other community on the planet when pointing out how bigotry manifests in a distinct manner within gaming, that I'm forgetting that other issues occur at all.

I cannot take seriously the notion that you think I'm suddenly rendered blind to any other problems with bigotry in the world. Such a concern seems so painfully dumb that it's hard not to take as trolling.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
If you're not going to invest the resources into proper moderation, you shouldn't have discussion forums or comment sections. Nuke them from orbit.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
this is going on everywhere in online spaces and it's scary and alarming how wildly this bigotry is spreading. =(

and i doubt valve gives two shits. they don't want to alienate that segment of their customer base and make those sort of waves.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
steam forums are pretty bad, can typically find technical support for pc games elsewhere and ppl who use steam user reviews to help them determine purchases remind me of ppl who earnestly use ratemyprofessor to see if they should take certain classes

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but its stupid of you to think that because I don't mention the issues in literally every other community on the planet when pointing out how bigotry manifests in a distinct manner within gaming, that I'm forgetting that other issues occur at all.

I cannot take seriously the notion that you think I'm suddenly rendered blind to any other problems with bigotry in the world. Such a concern seems so painfully dumb that it's hard not to take as trolling.

Maybe I misunderstand you here, but that's this part especially that makes me think that:

"Weird how I can talk about records, film and all sorts of other hobbies in various places online no problem and never see a whiff of transphobic nonsense."

That's how I felt reading this.