• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
It's a cesspool that Valve refuses to fix. From racism, to anti-LGBT anything, to flat out misogyny, it's just best to stay away from them.

It's pretty much why I play any multiplayer heavy game on console (once it's available) instead and only venture to the forums for fixes for my indie games or developer stuff.

Every gaming place has their problem, but not quite like Steam does.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
You can't believe Valve isn't combating this? The same company happily selling reputed indie titles such as Feminazi The Triggering? The same company whose CEO actively overruled its company's decision to not sell Hatred, a title made by devs with ties to neonazi groups? Valve, the one major gaming company that didn't deign itself to address BLM last summer? That Valve? Have you even checked out the Steam boards at any point during the last decade?

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
You can't believe Valve isn't combating this? The same company happily publishing reputed indie titles such as Feminazi The Triggering? The same company whose CEO actively overruled its company's decision to not publish Hatred, a title made by devs with ties to neonazi groups? The one gaming company that didn't deign itself to address BLM last summer? That Valve? Have you even checked out the Steam boards at any point during the last decade?

For one thing, Valve didn't publish those titles, they just stocked them, in the same way that Amazon stocks Ayn Rand and anti-vax material.

Also, Gabe Newell has donated to Dem candidates, so there's an obvious issue where the owner/CEO leans one way politically, but runs his company a different way. This may seem a little pedantic, but considering the posts saying "Valve libertarian techbro company", I actually find it adds a little more nuance?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
And all those people that aren't CIS white men that identify as Gamers are what exactly? My wife identifies as a gamer as do both of my children, neither of whom are cis white males. It's all a form of gatekeeping.

People who are free to adopt the label in an attempt to reclaim it if they so desire

I do not so desire

But are we really going down the route of claiming that me stating the fact that there's a unique level of bigotry amongst gamers is gatekeeping?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I moderated the old place for years pre implosion. What happened was not that the community became caring, friendly and supportive, the frothing assholes just stopped using slurs basically.
If you don't mind me asking, could you clarify what you mean by this? I feel like we don't hear this perspective too often.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
People who are free to adopt the label in an attempt to reclaim it if they so desire

I do not so desire

So you are saying they aren't real gamers. Trying to label it as reclaiming still means you are ceding the label of the hobby.

But are we really going down the route of claiming that me stating the fact that there's a unique level of bigotry amongst gamers is gatekeeping?

I'm saying that your first statement is gatekeeping. To adopt a label means they are faking it.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Just adding a bit to the discussion: I never say I'm a gamer. I'm not. I say that I play games, or I'm a "player." I don't care if they take the word for them. I'm not interested in it.

And to the average person if you play games you are a gamer. You trying to play coy about it doesn't change this perception.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
And the thread magically turns into "not all gamers"

Instead of how people can organize report and contact Valve to actually do something about rampant racism from "Gamers"

Yall really are lame with this shit

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine calling yourself a "gamer" and deliberately associating yourself with the capital G gamer crowd. Couldn't be me.

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
Steam has a gigantic moderation issue and I wish there could be more done about it.

Its not just people being racist/sexist, A LOT of it is straight up trolling. People don't care who or how they piss someone off just as so long as they get a rise out of someone. This applies equally to the trolling around the games themselves, hardware, bugs, support. Its quite a spectacular failure in all honesty.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
And the thread magically turns into "not all gamers"

Instead of how people can organize report and contact Valve to actually do something about rampant racism from "Gamers"

Yall really are lame with this shit

No it turned into stop ceding entire hobbies to bigoted assholes, but yeah it's wildly off topic. Sorry.

Like I said earlier the only way Valve addresses this is if they are forced to by outside pressure. They are surely aware of all this by now and haven't done enough to solve it.

Nov 8, 2017
If you don't mind me asking, could you clarify what you mean by this? I feel like we don't hear this perspective too often.

What I mean is basically that you might have assumed that by banning racists and sexists and transphobes you'd end up with a community of people who are nice to be around. This did indeed cut down on people using slurs and making specific arguments or expressing specific political viewpoints that are outside of what we classified as acceptable (say, "gender critical" stuff for example). But it didn't have to the knock on effect of making the place or the people actually nice. It prevents it from being intolerable in specific ways. It made it "not awful" but that isn't the same as good.

Ultimately, the community was and is still full of people who are mean to each other (and external groups), overly argumentative, combative, and often very toxic. They're just toxic in ways that aren't explicitly banned. People who were abrasive assholes online 15 years ago are still the same abrasive assholes now, they just don't make gay jokes anymore. In retrospect this shouldn't have been surprising, but it still saddens me. I think we did it better than a lot of places online, but it still feels like a failure that we could never "solve" this.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I thought that each Steam forum is moderated by each company, like the Deathloop one is moderated by Bethesda. Isn't like that?

Still the Steam forums are disgusting, there's no forum of a game on Steam where you don't find something racist or homophobic.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
No it turned into stop ceding entire hobbies to bigoted assholes, but yeah it's wildly off topic. Sorry.

Like I said earlier the only way Valve addresses this is if they are forced to by outside pressure. They are surely aware of all this by now and haven't done enough to solve it.

Pretending there isn't something uniquely fucked about gaming culture/not calling yourself a gamer isn't ceding the hobby

Christ

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
This likely won't change as Steam just looks at gamers as money and could care less about their views being talked about on the forum. Reading through some of that is just sad and shows how low humanity can go sometimes.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Blame Gabe. This is by his design.

So... Bethesda not banning the racists on the board they control is...

Gabe Newell's plan?

Come on. Just, like... What?

Edit: I might just bow out now, as it's obvious people just want to vent about the symptoms and not really talk about why some publishers don't moderate the boards they have full control over.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Gabe Newell's plan?

Valve is ultimately responsible for what is posted on their services. Passing the buck to publishers and developers that use their services has very clearly not been a solution. The vast majority of games have absolutely zero moderation, and it's likely no developer has even looked at the messages for any particular game in years.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
What I mean is basically that you might have assumed that by banning racists and sexists and transphobes you'd end up with a community of people who are nice to be around. This did indeed cut down on people using slurs and making specific arguments or expressing specific political viewpoints that are outside of what we classified as acceptable (say, "gender critical" stuff for example). But it didn't have to the knock on effect of making the place or the people actually nice. It prevents it from being intolerable in specific ways. It made it "not awful" but that isn't the same as good.

Ultimately, the community was and is still full of people who are mean to each other (and external groups), overly argumentative, combative, and often very toxic. They're just toxic in ways that aren't explicitly banned. People who were abrasive assholes online 15 years ago are still the same abrasive assholes now, they just don't make gay jokes anymore. In retrospect this shouldn't have been surprising, but it still saddens me. I think we did it better than a lot of places online, but it still feels like a failure that we could never "solve" this.

Agreed. I think this is really evident when it comes to people hiding their racism and intolerance behind "criticism" of woke culture. The right has gotten very good at avoiding the obvious megaphones of bigotry.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Gabe Newell's plan?

Edit: I might just bow out now, as it's obvious people just want to vent about the symptoms and not really talk about why some publishers don't moderate the boards they have full control over.
Yes, because the only reason Bethesda controls that board is because Valve has placed them in control of a board on Steam, which is actually Valve's platform.

If I give you my username and password and let you post whatever you want, I've essentially greenlit whatever the hell whatever I'm left with.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Valve is ultimately responsible for what is posted on their services. Passing the buck to publishers and developers that use their services has very clearly not been a solution.

And yet, should it not be the solution? Because I would argue that every publisher has the responsibility to use the tools provided to them - by Valve - to moderate the discussion boards that promote their games.

Yes, because the only reason Bethesda controls that board is because Valve has placed them in control of Steam, which is actually Valve's platform.

So... Valve should fully control every publisher's discussion board? Absolutely every aspect of it?

Because if you're arguing that Valve should weed out the shit and let Bethesda (as an example) shirk their responsibilities and just use the board as good PR, then you're still arguing for a video-game company to ignore the shit that their consumers spew, just it's the publisher of a game, not the store the game is sold on.

Honestly, my first post on the thread had how Valve could do more, but publishers need to step up too.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's incredibly common these days.

I only visit the steam forums for technical support, but it's pretty common that when I do, a top, awarded forum post is some racist nonsense. I was trying to figure out why some items in Cristales were broken and ended up seeing that the most awarded and highest responded to thread was about the term "Latinx" not being a real word and that the devs were bad for appealing to "woke hipsters".

I don't have time for it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I made the mistake of looking at the Life is Strange: True Colors forums a couple of days ago. It was awful.
I don't know if it's because I'm either early with a game at launch and only looking at the tech support stuff, or it's an older game, long after people have moved on and discussions have been cleaned up, but my experience has generally been okay up until now.
But the comments there were horrible. I opened some of the threads out of curiosity, and it was worse than I expected.
Valve definitely needs to have a proper moderation team, with repercussions for posts like these, rather than leaving it to developers to handle their own forums.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
And yet, should it not be the solution? Because I would argue that every publisher has the responsibility to use the tools provided by them - by Valve - to moderate the discussion boards that promote their games.

How many games does Bethesda have on Steam? Now how many games are on Steam? It's very likely that close to 99% of messages on Steam will never be viewed by a moderator of any sort. Pick any game by a small publisher that is more than a few years old and it's likely it's been the wild wild west for anyone posting there for years. The fact that you can see these problems on forums for larger publishers should tell you how bad it must be everywhere else.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Valve is ultimately responsible for what is posted on their services. Passing the buck to publishers and developers that use their services has very clearly not been a solution. The vast majority of games have absolutely zero moderation, and it's likely no developer has even looked at the messages for any particular game in years.

Eh...

I mean the solution there is giving developers and publishers the option to opt out of having those tools be active, which in and of itself isn't a solution, it's just funneling the hate elsewhere. It's unreasonable to ask Valve to moderate everyone's userbase for them.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Eh...

I mean the solution there is giving developers and publishers the option to opt out of having those tools be active, which in and of itself isn't a solution, it's just funneling the hate elsewhere. It's unreasonable to ask Valve to moderate everyone's userbase for them.

It's asking Valve to moderate their message boards. The fact that developers and publishers can also moderate their specific boards does not absolve Valve of responsibility.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling, history of similar behavior
these are the community features people want on EGS

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think this is an interesting perspective.

Being a bit older I remember growing up without forums, so I always put it down to what I call the "pub test". That is back in the day if you said something stupid you were generally in a public place like a pub. If you got punched in the face, you probably didn't say that thing again, or you watched your mouth.

It was a decent system. You could always avoid that place after, but especially if you didn't live in a big city you'd run out of places fast or worry about running into the same people. For internet forums or games? You can just create another account, or server, or go from gamefaqs to steam forums or resetera and do much the same thing. There are no consequences and no accountability.

Which creates two massive problems. Firstly people are massive dicks, as you mentioned perhaps in "Acceptable" ways. I for example might be quite toxic towards organised religion, but know how to mostly not step over the line.

But even worse, I think it has led to a culture where people have been dicks for so long, that they are absolutely terrified of consequences being introduced. If you have spent 10 years being an asshole, how bad would it be if you were suddenly found out and it came into your real life? Pretty damn bad, so people fight hard against it, get sucked into right wing extremism and "culture wars" all because they didn't get punched in the face early on like they should have.

I also don't know what the answer is. Perhaps some sort of parenting with actual awareness of what kids are doing online. Perhaps this will happen with a future generation and fix itself, perhaps not.

But yes, steam forums have always been like this. It is why it amuses me when people claim a new gaming platform like epic or ps5 or whatever needs "community/social" features. Maybe one day that would be a good idea, but maybe give it 15 years and we can try again.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, should it not be the solution? Because I would argue that every publisher has the responsibility to use the tools provided to them - by Valve - to moderate the discussion boards that promote their games.

So... Valve should fully control every publisher's discussion board? Absolutely every aspect of it?

Because if you're arguing that Valve should weed out the shit and let Bethesda (as an example) shirk their responsibilities and just use the board as good PR, then you're still arguing for a video-game company to ignore the shit that their consumers spew, just it's the publisher of a game, not the store the game is sold on.

Honestly, my first post on the thread had how Valve could do more, but publishers need to step up too.
This would be a great argument if someone other than Valve had decided that every Steam game has to have its own board. Unfortunately, that's also Valve's decision, so yes, it's part of Gabe Newell's plan as it was put earlier.

Valve wants to have the discussion space so that they get customers interacting more with their platform and ultimately buy more games on Steam as a result. They might not have the capacity to moderate all of it, but it ultimately doesn't matter because they also don't care that they don't. Instead they can throw that responsibility for that space to someone else and wash their hands of it.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Yeah I made the point earlier... people will shit on EGS so much for not having this but look at the shithole it becomes. If it's not going to be moderated well, don't have it at all or at the very least do an opt-in for publishers that pledge to moderate it and after X weeks of inactivity archive the community. I don't like the EGS because I don't like having multiple storefronts for all my games, but people using this as a one-up over Epic is dumb to me.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Are the boards entirely controlled by the publishers? I was under the impression it was at least partially shared with Valve since I remember finding out some people couldn't download XCOM 2 mods because of a ban they ate on the steam discussion boards (since the ban basically acted as a complete ban from any steam community features as far as I could tell)

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Valvr never gave a damn about moderating Steam boards, no wonder they devolve into alt right shit fest very frequently.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's asking Valve to moderate their message boards. The fact that developers and publishers can also moderate the boards does not absolve Valve of responsibility.

Yes and I'm saying that's impossible. There are something like 200 new games added a day and every one of those games have these features. Asking Valve to moderate all of them is untenable.

Now that bein said, it does make a lot of sense for them not to be given to anyone and only people who opt in and have a proven track record of actual moderation of the social spaces.

But like...passing the buck to Valve here is silly. It's like passing the buck to Cloudfire due to THEM not moderating forums or message boards that live on their server space.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Weird how I can talk about records, film and all sorts of other hobbies in various places online no problem and never see a whiff of transphobic nonsense. Trans artists putting out records, trans characters in films, whatever. Yet this is the only broadly game-centric place I've found that gives enough of a fuck to make moves against things like transphobia in games and the community.

bUt iTs A hUMan pRobLeM nOt a gAmeR pRobLEm

Miss me with that shit. Know plenty of women that have been part of film clubs, hiking communities, don't get bullied out of cinemas when they walk in, and innumerable other hobbies with discussions online and off but dare to join an online game with a mic and suddenly they face every sexist insult and rape threat under the sun.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Did Bethesda sign up to have a discussion board or are they automatically made for each Steam game? If its the former than I agree with you, otherwise... this is 100% on Valve.

That's something I don't know, and is fair enough, yeah. A "good" compromise (for a given value of good) is Mesoian's opt-out suggestion above, but, like they say, it's just funneling the problem elsewhere, which... let's be honest here, a lot of the industry has been shit about calling out the intolerance of Gamers, and letting pubs opt-out just let's them coast for even longer ignoring a problem that they are at least in part responsible for, by not calling it out sooner.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Its not just people being racist/sexist, A LOT of it is straight up trolling. People don't care who or how they piss someone off just as so long as they get a rise out of someone. This applies equally to the trolling around the games themselves, hardware, bugs, support. Its quite a spectacular failure in all honesty.

Even if people are "trolling" it's still racist and sexist. Trolls often believe what they say. They just use the guise of trying to get a rise out of someone as an excuse.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I mean, yes, these are the features people want on EGS because if they're used properly, they're still the best method of communication between the user and the developer. There's a reason why Steam forums are still used for tech support for every different store front on PC, even though it's not supposed to be used that way.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
It's not just a moderation issue. IF the number of bigots I encounter in Dota are anything to go by, Valve would probably have to ban about 30% of their customer base.

And it's not just white guys. The hatred towards women and poc units Gamers all around the world.

Edit: Gamers also hate everyone in the LGBTQ+ community, Jewish people and probably a ton of other people.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and I'm saying that's impossible. There are something like 200 new games added a day and every one of those games have these features. Asking Valve to moderate all of them is untenable.

Now that bein said, it does make a lot of sense for them not to be given to anyone and only people who opt in and have a proven track record of actual moderation of the social spaces.

But like...passing the buck to Valve here is silly. It's like passing the buck to Cloudfire due to THEM not moderating forums or message boards that live on their server space.

That logic is silly. They created the untenable problem themselves, but somehow it isn't their problem to solve?

Also people would want Cloudfire to shut down something like an obvious Nazi message board, yes.