• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I figured out a part of the initial capacity everyone started with.

I started with 4,100 capacity, but have made no steam purchases since last Christmas. So how did I end up with such a high starting point?

Then it hit me, my steam level is 41. Voila.

Idled Xcom for awhile, got enough points to bump my badge up enough to get myself to level 50. Now I might get 2 more boosters per year.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for good, nice to look at Beat'em Ups that are only on PC. So far I found:
- Streets of Fury
- Fight'N Rage
- Aztez

Anything else I could get during the sale?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

I started with 4,100 capacity, but have made no steam purchases since last Christmas. So how did I end up with such a high starting point?

Idled Xcom for awhile, got enough points to bump my badge up enough to get myself to level 50. Now I might get 2 more boosters per year.

I'm Lv 26 and I started at 100 capacity :P

The weird thing is that my FAQ page in the Pit Stop says "Your account received 1,000 Boost Meter capacity based on your previous spend on Steam.", but I never actually got it. My last purchase through Steam was in December 2018, too.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Looking for good, nice to look at Beat'em Ups that are only on PC. So far I found:
- Streets of Fury
- Fight'N Rage
- Aztez

Anything else I could get during the sale?
Only on pc? Atm capcom's dungeon and dragons mystara collection isnt bc on ps4, x1 and switch last i checked so i dont know if that counts for you :x
Capcom has a beatem up collection on steam but i assume u have it on console at least.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Capacity starts at 0 and you get 100 'free' each day. You increase it by buying stuff at a rate of $1 US for 100 capacity points.

What happened on the first day is that, if you'd bought anything on Steam over the last few weeks (months, maybe?), you got credited with capacity for those purchases, so some people started the sale with their capacity in the thousands, whereas people who hadn't bought anything in a while just started with 100. Now that people have spent that initial few thousand capacity, though, everyone's back to starting at 100 per day. This is apparently how it's supposed to work; your capacity won't go up again unless you spend more money.

Is just broken as fuck. There's no pattern.

Level 158, preordered Cyberpunk, got 0 initial capacity.

At least I could refund it and get that way. But I think I'll wait for winter sale if they have non broken event instead.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

At least I could refund it and get that way. But I think I'll wait for winter sale if they have non broken event instead.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing. Pre-ordered Cyberpunk to see if it might be worth anything for this sale event, but I'm just going to refund it and see if there's a better deal next time around. The Lunar New Year sale earlier this year was much more generous.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

It's like some sort of eldritch being. To actually comprehend it would turn you mad.

I'm envisioning the employee who spearheaded this is some sort of jabbering person locked in a closet, fed only fish heads. He made a pigeon rat.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Only on pc? Atm capcom's dungeon and dragons mystara collection isnt bc on ps4, x1 and switch last i checked so i dont know if that counts for you :x
Capcom has a beatem up collection on steam but i assume u have it on console at least.
I have D&D on PS3. Yeah only PC because I prefer playing them on a console. But if there is only a PC version I am fine with that.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I just afked for 30+ mins in a game with achievements on the list, and am getting no points for it. Do I need to get new achievements to get points?

The bar says 5k points earned, but there is no option to convert to capacity points - and my capacity is only half filled.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I enjoyed the sale quite well this year...minus the horrible event.

7go6AOK.jpg
Dark Souls for $4. How?

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
OK here's my best understanding of how it all works, step by step:

- You start with 0 Boost Meter Capacity, and Valve increases it to 100. You basically can't do shit with this; it has the equivalent value of about 3 cents at best.

- You spend money to increase your Capacity at a ratio of 100 points to 1 US dollar. Let's say you spend $60 US, so your Capacity is now 6,100.

- You don't have any points yet, you've only increased your Capacity to earn points. To fill that Capacity up with points, you install a game that you have some Steam Achievements in and play/idle in it for at least 30 minutes. Once that's done you can go to the sale page, scroll down to the bit that looks like this:

YbqACQD.jpg

...and claim those points. Anything over your current Capacity will be wasted.

- Now that you've filled your Capacity with points, you can go to the Pit Stop and use those points to Boost your team. Each Boost will convert a maximum of 1,000 points into Tokens. Crucially, converting points to tokens will LOWER YOUR CAPACITY. You don't just spend the points, you lose THE CAPACITY TO EARN MORE POINTS.

- Now you've converted your 6,100 points into 6,100 Tokens, which you can spend on the badge, backgrounds, emotes, or save them up for a $5 US discount on your next purchase which costs 15,000 Tokens. However, your Capacity has dropped to 0. You can go back and idle in more games with achievements, but you won't be able to claim those points until you raise your Capacity again.

- How do you raise your Capacity? Get spending again; 100 Capacity for every 1 US Dollar, remember? Alternatively, wait until tomorrow, when GabeN himself will grace your account with another 100 Capacity (which, remember, is worth about 3 cents).

So, long story short, if you're going to spend over $150 US in this sale, you can get a nice little $5 discount voucher out of it, provided you're also willing to idle in some games you have a lot of achievements in, claim the points, convert the points to tokens and buy the discount. Every $150 you spend will get you another $5 discount, and you can stack multiple discount tokens in the same purchase.

However, if you aren't going to spend $150, you don't get shit. It isn't worth wasting your time with any of this. Even if you're going to spend $149, there's nothing here for you. Just buy a few games on sale, enjoy them, and you can safely ignore this whole metagame.
Thank you for this. What a broken-ass game.
If I level up the sale Badge will it increase my Steam xp?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thank you for this. What a broken-ass game.
If I level up the sale Badge will it increase my Steam xp?
Yes it will.
One thing i suggestbfor this to simply boost your team and see how many coins u got in pitstop. If u managed to acquire 15k coins you can get $5 off coupon. It is possible to get it without needing to spend much.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it will.
One thing i suggestbfor this to simply boost your team and see how many coins u got in pitstop. If u managed to acquire 15k coins you can get $5 off coupon. It is possible to get it without needing to spend much.
Yeah that's what I did yesterday. Just boost team, get coins. Instantly bought that bad ass parrot emoji.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
Yes it will.
Oh the pit stop coin amount is randomized? I will do this and if I don't get to 15k I will just level up my account.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I went from 46k points down to 5k points back to 12k points all within a span of several hours. It doesn't really matter since I didn't spend anything today to increase my capacity.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if the discount coupons we get for the coins can stack for a single purchase? Can't find any info about it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this and I didn't consider that the event may get people deleting stuff off their wishlist in bulk, even if that's not how the prizes for the minigame are determined. Wishlists have been incredibly important for games, especially smaller indies, to show up more on discovery queues and any recommendations so it's leading to a lot of developers seeing massive drops on their wishlist numbers that have never happened before, which in turn can reduce their visibility on the store. Granted Valve screwing over smaller developers, mostly in a load of accidental ways, is hardly anything new but it seems to be getting more and more difficult to be an indie developer and be sustainable on Steam. Even Itch is doing better for some devs now.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, again, Valve not really thinking through their audience. The wishlist chances are tiny - 300 people in the first place team, 200 in the second and 100 in the third get prizes every 24 hours - but people think "Oh if it's me I want a AAA game" and remove everything not AAA. :/

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
This entire game is so stupid and boring

congrats on getting people to download old games and idle in them based on achievements? Why not just save yourself the effort and do trading cards

All the harmful ramifications to indies are just more proof in the pudding

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Take what that Twitter account says with a grain of salt. Valve could be giving developers money hand over first and that person would find a way to make it look bad. The rules are super clear that it's top item of your wishlist. It couldn't be more explicit. Unless this person has good data to back it up, they're probably just wildly speculating because they don't like Valve.

Edit: okay, there we go, here's the source that tweet's complaint, much more credible.

Several devs seeing wishlist deletions spike since the sale started, counter to the trend of wishlist numbers going up during sales. Likely driven by the game -- despite it saying that you will only the no. 1 ranked game. What's odd is that Valve has done a thing where you win the top game on your wishlist before, so I wonder if it happened back then too.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Imho, Valve should've given you an ability to collect 1000 daily capacity via usual steam sale things like wishlist, discover cues, etc.

Then people would be able to earn at least a boost per day, and participate in order to be eligible for the draw.

The way it works now, once you've spent your initial capacity, you basically have to pay 10 bucks a day to participate in sale activities

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Imho, Valve should've given you an ability to collect 1000 daily capacity via usual steam sale things like wishlist, discover cues, etc.

Then people would be able to earn at least a boost per day, and participate in order to be eligible for the draw.

The way it works now, once you've spent your initial capacity, you basically have to pay 10 bucks a day to participate in sale activities

Yeah agreed, there's no incentive for me to even do those bonus tasks in games, because I have over 10,000 points already that I can't spend more than 100 of per day.

ThirtyFour

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I was actually surprised the discovery queue didn't factor into it in some way. Valve always seemed super eager to have people go through their queue as often as possible but just gave up this time for some reason.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
?? I thought it was agreed upon that you need to spend $150 to get the coupon. Is that no longer the case?
That is true, but you can also gain them by acquiring 15,000 coins
Go to Grand Prix page
Go to Pit Stop
See how many coins you have
If you have 15,000 coins, you will see an option to redeem them for $5 off

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yeah, again, Valve not really thinking through their audience. The wishlist chances are tiny - 300 people in the first place team, 200 in the second and 100 in the third get prizes every 24 hours - but people think "Oh if it's me I want a AAA game" and remove everything not AAA. :/

Well about that...I can't do it cause it would take me hours to delete everything from my wishlist unless there is a select all option but I don't wanna spend all the time to re-add everything (have 2,500+ on my wishlist) 😂

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Valve making the sale a mini game and screwing smaller devs. Of course.

And, looking at the sale page, it's nothing special. Just a regular sale with a bunch of crap to increase engagement on top with a carrot in the stick to save a little money.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That is true, but you can also gain them by acquiring 15,000 coins
Go to Grand Prix page
Go to Pit Stop
See how many coins you have
If you have 15,000 coins, you will see an option to redeem them for $5 off
But do you not get the coins from using points? 100 points a day is 100 coins per day. Or am I off here?

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
So I went to having like 1400 capacity left when I went to bed last night to having -140 capacity this morning. I'm not even going to bother trying to understand this thing anymore.

On the wishlist discussion I wonder if some people are doing what I am doing at this point. My wishlist wasn't overly big (40ish games) but as I was scrolling through the sale there were several games that had a price I would normally have been interested in but the game was no longer appealing to me in any way. In those cases I ended up taking the game off the wishlist (I like to keep things somewhat tidy and manageable there) since if I wasn't going to get it now I likely was not going to get it any other time in the future.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
User Warned: Off-Topic Commentary
Imagine if Epic had this same exact sale.

My God, the thread would be so filled with complaints it would break the site.

Wonder how many points/tokens/whatever the fuck I can earn today? NOT EVEN STEAM KNOWS!

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Wonder how many points/tokens/whatever the fuck I can earn today? NOT EVEN STEAM KNOWS!

You're reading the same thread I am, right? The complaints? The disbelief that Valve cocked this up? They're plain to see.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
You're reading the same thread I am, right? The complaints? The disbelief that Valve cocked this up? They're plain to see.
30 pages is nothing. Had it been Epic we'd be a couple hundred pages deep.

All Valve had to do was go, "Hey, we've added $5 credit to your accounts! You have two weeks to spend it."

Put an arbitrary gameplay requirement in there if you must, but THIS... this is just nuts.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Valve making the sale a mini game and screwing smaller devs. Of course.

And, looking at the sale page, it's nothing special. Just a regular sale with a bunch of crap to increase engagement on top with a carrot in the stick to save a little money.
Good morning. Is this your first steam summer sale?

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Oof, cannot believe Epic Games Store did this... oh wait!

Can we please not make this thread another Epic VS Steam thread? We have plenty of those already we all can post in.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018

Epic gave 10€ discount on every single game, discounted or not, priced 15€ or more some days ago. People are arguing about how broken the whole event is, and it's also unclear on purpose.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the rules literally state:

"Each day throughout the Grand Prix, random members of the top first, second and third place teams will receive the top item from their Steam Wishlist."

It's not as if Steam hasn't had similar things in the past from memory.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Take what that Twitter account says with a grain of salt. Valve could be giving developers money hand over first and that person would find a way to make it look bad. The rules are super clear that it's top item of your wishlist. It couldn't be more explicit. Unless this person has good data to back it up, they're probably just wildly speculating because they don't like Valve.

Edit: okay, there we go, here's the source that tweet's complaint, much more credible.

Several devs seeing wishlist deletions spike since the sale started, counter to the trend of wishlist numbers going up during sales. Likely driven by the game -- despite it saying that you will only the no. 1 ranked game. What's odd is that Valve has done a thing where you win the top game on your wishlist before, so I wonder if it happened back then too.

Not just them too. Seeing several other devs post similar charts.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
But do you not get the coins from using points? 100 points a day is 100 coins per day. Or am I off here?
You can get points from playing a game for 30 mins, pref. one you got achievements in.
After playing such a game, go into grand prix page and scroll down. There will be a buton you can press to send to your odometer to redeem for coins as well.