• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
You can view just installed games, I guess? They'll leave your library when you uninstall.

Just kinda seems like a commonsense feature to add to make the process of playing lots of demos easier. I feel like I easily lose new games if they aren't in my recent games list.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you like dual stick shmups, be sure to check out Devastator. It's from Radiangames who knows their stuff.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Man I cannot get the Loop Hero demo to play for me. I'll click play, it'll change the green play button to X Stop, like most games do, but then it doesnt load and goes back to the Green play button. I've tried restarting, and trying installing it on two different drives. No luck.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand this game? Its a 3D platformer where you can find powerup costumes which gives you various different powers. Seems to be kid-oriented and very easy to play. Seems like keyboard support only.

This demo starts well, until the 2nd client where you have to enter some keywords to proceed. I type in various words but couldn't find anything so I give up and deleted the demo. Also seems like no mouse or controller support. Only keyboard.

Will try more tomorrow.

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo

Looks cool for the Another World/Flashback cinematic 2D platformer crowd.

I am a complete sucker for Factorio-like games, so will be trying this.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not feeling Narita Boy, didn't realize it would be so dialogue heavy. Those text boxes seem to go on forever without saying anything.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Man I cannot get the Loop Hero demo to play for me. I'll click play, it'll change the green play button to X Stop, like most games do, but then it doesnt load and goes back to the Green play button. I've tried restarting, and trying installing it on two different drives. No luck.
You jinxed me!!!!!!!! I read your post soon as I was about to launch the demo and yep it just opens up a box and tries to load and sits.

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
Just kinda seems like a commonsense feature to add to make the process of playing lots of demos easier. I feel like I easily lose new games if they aren't in my recent games list.
What I do is use the side list of the Steam library, and click on the "Sort by recent activity" & "Show only ready to play games" icons at the top of the list. That way I can keep up with everything that I recently installed/played on through Steam.

83c3TNt.jpg

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
About to jump in to 'No Place For Bravery' since it looks interesting, anyone gave it a go already?

EDIT: Unfortunately while the game looks beautiful it's quite buggy at the moment, especially with menus, kind of takes you out of the experience.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some devs really need to learn about the economy of words. Almost every indie demo I've tried has unnecessarily long-winded, poorly written dialogue and flavor text.

Been replaying Hyper Light Drifter and frankly I love that it has no text whatsoever lol.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some devs really need to learn about the economy of words. Almost every indie demo I've tried has unnecessarily long-winded, poorly written dialogue and flavor text.

Been replaying Hyper Light Drifter and frankly I love that it has no text whatsoever lol.
Xenonauts 2 has literally no words.

raangz

Oct 30, 2017
Loop Hero is so fucking good. Steam page just got updated w/ a march 4 release date. Can't wait!!

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Lamentum was fantastic, it's a pixel art Resident Evil of sorts. Really wanted to continue playing

Enjoyed Echo Generation too despite it having turn based combat. Gave me cozy Stranger Things vibes

Stay out of the House (that VHS looking horror game) was going nice, was enjoying the tension and creepiness of working the graveyard shift at the gas station until the jump scare made have to explain to my wife why I screamed out loud. No thanks, not a fan of cheap jump scares like that.

Last edited:

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Lamentum was fantastic, it's a pixel art Resident Evil of sorts. Really wanted to continue playing

Enjoyed Echo Generation too despite it having turn based combat. Gave me cozy Stranger Things vibes

Stay out of the House (that VHS looking horror game) was going nice, was enjoying the tension and creepiness of working the graveyard shift at the gas station until the jump scare made have to explain to my wife why I screamed out loud. No thanks, not a fan of cheap jump scares like that.

Lamentum looks great!

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So far I've tried a bunch of demos, and one that stuck out to me is Roguebook. It's like Slay the Spire, but party based with a hex map to explore.

My wife tried a game called Timberborn that she thought looked decent. Seemed kinda like a Rimworld style game, but with beavers.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I just played through the demo of Beacon Pines:

store.steampowered.com

Beacon Pines on Steam

Beacon Pines is a cute and creepy adventure set within a mysterious book. Sneak out late, make new friends, uncover hidden truths, and collect words that will change the course of fate!

I actually really enjoyed it! I've actually been looking for a game where choice matter and this seems to fit the bill. Cool / cute character designs too. I want to say it sorta gives me Stranger Things vibes and it seems things are gonna get more mysterious and weird later on. Definitely gonna keep an eye on it.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Narita Boy demo was awesome, the jumping controls felt off and I kept falling to my death but I'm willing to look past them because the game is such a wild trip.

Narita Boy and Lamentum are my favorite demos so far.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is super fun, focused on speed runs for clearing levels of enemies. The range of objects you can use as weapons is pretty broad, funny too.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

The Last Stand: Aftermath on Steam

From the creators of The Last Stand: Union City and Dead Zone comes an all-new singleplayer rogue-lite action adventure. After you become infected by the zombie virus, you set out to explore the post-apocalypse and find hope for your fellow survivors. You can still make a difference. Don't give up.

Just spent an hour with the demo for The Last Stand: Aftermath, and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It's an isometric-zombie-roguelite shooting, slashing and scavenging game - so not the most original thing in the world, but it's executed well. There's some cool mechanics like supplies that act as persistent upgrades across runs, and an infection meter that lowers your max health as it progresses but grants mutation upgrades every so often.

Keep the recommendations coming! There's way too many games to look through myself, so it's much appreciated.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I remember being more excited for steam festival. XD Still, I be checking out Narita Boy and Graven this time.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Word. I've been addicted to the demo /prototype of this at itch-io. Like, I've finished it 3 or 4 times even though there's no further progression or challenge; it's pure heroin. Let that serve as both endorsement and warning. :D

Downloading the Steam demo (probably against my best judgement); curious to see if it's the same or a new one, and looking forward to lose my whole day if the latter...

Edit: Fuck, it IS a new demo. Quickly Alt-F4'ed it before I stop doing literally anything else like working or eating. :D Seriously, people, don't start playing this if you have something important to do.

I started playing the demo and was like, "this is pretty cool." Then I was apparently abducted by aliens because two hours disappeared.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
About to jump in to 'No Place For Bravery' since it looks interesting, anyone gave it a go already?

EDIT: Unfortunately while the game looks beautiful it's quite buggy at the moment, especially with menus, kind of takes you out of the experience.
I played it one of the fall festivals.

It's basically angled top-down Sekiro. It mostly works, except when you are behind a chunky enemy with an AoE attack. And you can't see which way you're facing, cuz they are obstructing your view. Then it can be frustrating.

The boss took me about 40 mins to get his pattern down. Just like Sekiro, if you don't like precisely timed parties, this combat system is not for you.

Awesome that more people are going the Momentum demo love. It's another one I've been following since playing the demo last year. It's classic ReSi, but top-down ala Zelda/Blood Omen, and with cosmic horror instead of zombies. It's pretty awesome.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway

I enjoyed this.
It's a cross between a deckbuilder and a mech game and thankfully it's not just another Slay the Spire clone.
You have to manage your heat level and damage to individual body parts just like in a game liike Mechwarrior.
There's also a fun inventory tetris element where you have to manually equip your mech with new weapons and components that make up your deck.
Definitely worth a look!

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I played the demo for Happy Game the new amanita design game and sadly it did basically nothing for me which is a shame.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I tried 25 demos from the festival, and these are the ones which stood out for me:

Crazy good arcadey action platformer. Gameplay has an interesting twist (you attack with this electrical whip thing in 8 directions, and you can shoot ropes which attach to surfaces so you can climb them), and it just feels super polished overall.

This is literally another Flashback. The controls are almost identical, and you'll recognize most of the animations too. It goes for an extremely low resolution (it's something like 200x112), and while I'm all for chunky pixels I think they went a bit too low for my taste. Still, I'm a huge fan of cinematic platformers like Prince of Persia and Flashback, so I'm automatically interested. On a side note, if people know of other indie games inspired by PoP or Flashback then I'm very curious to know about them.

Cute puzzle-ish platformer with pretty unique mechanics. You throw an axe and you can teleport to its location whenever. Maybe a bit too hard for me, but I had fun with it.

Reminds me of Dead Cells but seems to go for a Metroidvania structure.

AtskaHeart

Feb 4, 2021
Madrid, Spain

This game is addictive and fun. You may want to make sure you have time to play, because once you start, you won't be able to stop playing hahah. The graphics are outstanding.

The pixel art is gorgeous. At first I felt it starts a bit slow (mostly because I don't enjoy reading), but it's worth waiting because once you advance a bit in the demo, you will start the full action. It has GREAT game feel, worth a try, for real.

This one is an everyday-life musical experience in which I had the opportunity to work in the pixel art. The feelings it brings you throughout the whole demo (and especially at the end of it) is something that will keep surprising me. I always end up crying (with certain joy).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

yeah so far Lamentum is the stand out for me; looks kind of bad at first glance, maybe uninspired, but very quickly shows off design and art chops and manages very quickly to nail its inspirations and stand on its own at the same time. Everyone with a passing interest in resident evil and pixel art should try it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I started playing the demo and was like, "this is pretty cool." Then I was apparently abducted by aliens because two hours disappeared.

The Loop Hero experience in a nutshell.
Fortunately I was already warned by having played the alpha so I didn't touch it until I had finished the day's work and had a chunk of free time.

I enjoyed this.
It's a cross between a deckbuilder and a mech game and thankfully it's not just another Slay the Spire clone.
You have to manage your heat level and damage to individual body parts just like in a game liike Mechwarrior.
There's also a fun inventory tetris element where you have to manually equip your mech with new weapons and components that make up your deck.
Definitely worth a look!

I really like the core mechanic of building your deck by building your mecha. It reminds me a lot of an older game that I can't remember the name of (and my google-fu fails); it was an isometric dungeon crawler with a paper B/W aesthetic where your equipment determined your cards.

I really wanted to like this. The music is really nice and when the game starts up, the select screen is very reminiscent to a Mega Man, a personal favorite series of mine, so my excitement went up a bit.

Woo-boy. It's hard to describe how odd the controls are and feel. Like you have this orb boomerang projectile you use to break blocks with in the first part of the stage (the demo doesn't have any enemies to fight, just blocks to break to progress), but it goes at an angle and some of the blocks are hard to reach. This wouldn't be so bad if you character didn't literally slide on slopes and edges, so you have to like hop (or jump spin) constantly to try to hit some of the blocks, particularly on smaller ledges you need to get to.

The graphics are decent for a gba style game, however the foreground and background blend it badly.

Which brings me to the spikes.

There are tiny, very hard to see spikes that blend horribly into the environment. As a result, it took me a few minutes to understand why I kept taking damage because they are that hard to see. This becomes almost unbearable during a certain sequence where you have to jump up to a cliff via tiny ledges, which is already hard because of that whole breaking blocks on slippery slopes thing. Now add hard to see tiny spikes that blend into the foreground and it's honestly just a mess.

And that's just the first half. Once you get into the actual facility, there are electric traps and all sorts of crazy platforming that just feels harder than it should because of the characters natural controls. The stage itself feels way too long in general and I'll be honest, I just gave up and went back to playing the Animal Crossing for a while to calm down. XD

I'm not sure if maybe some things are missing from the demo and maybe it does a bad job representing the final product (you apparently get power ups once you beat bosses ala Mega Man), but I can't recommend it as it is now.

May 5, 2018
I played the Squadron 51 demo. That was a fun shmup with an entertaining, intentionally cheesy 50's Sci-Fi twist. Interesting that this is a shmup with a life bar as you won't die ever time after taking 1 hit, but rather 3 hits most of the time and then use another life. The secondary weapons were pretty fun to use such as the backwards flamethrower for UFO's from the left and missiles for making quick work of big enemies. I do wish Squadron 51 had subtitles on immediately since this game is made by Brazilian Devs and the intro cutscene had newspapers written in Portuguese. I had to turn on English subtitles later to understand what was going on in the story. Otherwise, a solid shmup that could be used as a good intro to the genre but has a decent amount of challenge too.

Also, apparently this game is on kickstarter so the demo is being used to sell the KS campaign for it to be completely funded I believe?

Oh and I should check out that Chicory: A Colorful Tale demo. I have before but I want to see if there are any changes to the demo that was around in...late 2019 I think.