• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
What was your latest estimate from jimmosio calculator?
E: Ran it again but the result is basically unchanged

Q2 256GB EU with reserve time 1626506100
Sample size: 681
Calculated at Thu May 5, 2022 21:04:14 UTC
Reserve time is in the top 47% of Q2

Distribution of order dates (All Thursdays assumed to be possible):
(alpha = 1)
May 12: 0.5%
May 16: 37.4%
May 19: 54.3%
May 23: 7.9%

Last edited:

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
On my way home to get my Deck! Ordered Monday , 5/2 and was shipped and delivered today. Thank my luck for living right next to the Warehouse.

Now here's hoping my Deck has no issues.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lol still 20 minutes away from my 512 order. This has gotta be Q3 by now

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I just wish Valve would tell us anything.

How many are they trying to ship a week? Are they on schedule?

Just throw us a bone. Fuck.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Somehow my Steam Deck is in Romulus, Missouri when all it needed to do was leave the Indianapolis Hub and head to Toronto. Now I doubt I will be getting this thing tomorrow. Meh.

Edit: Actually, it is Romulus, Michigan. I suppose that is a bit better. It's the right direction. I thought it would come by air though.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Somehow my Steam Deck is in Romulus, Missouri when all it needed to do was leave the Indianapolis Hub and head to Toronto. Now I doubt I will be getting this thing tomorrow. Meh.

Edit: Actually, it is Romulus, Michigan. I suppose that is a bit better. It's the right direction. I thought it would come by air though.

Could be worse, at least it wasn't sent to this Romulus:

Romulus_Destroyed_in_2387.jpg

Sorry, bad Star Trek joke. Couldn't resist.

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to set expectations, I live in the US & got the email for 512gb yesterday and bought. Went from pending and now says shipping soon as of 1:30pm est. What are the odds I get this thing by Wednesday? I'm leaving for vacation Thursday morning and really wanna bring this thing with me.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna get a steam deck. I tried to do a backbone + streaming with my phone but it's not reliable enough.

Is it worth springing for the most expensive model?

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm gonna get a steam deck. I tried to do a backbone + streaming with my phone but it's not reliable enough.

This is somewhat of a personal question. However, generally, most people have found that games running on SD cards with decent read speeds run mostly the same as the NVMe drives. Additionally, if you are technically inclined at all with hardware it seems relatively straightforward to replace the internal storage with an aftermarket SSD. The etched display of the 512GB model seems to indeed help a bit with glare, but it's not worth the premium. Given all of this, I personally think the base 64GB model is by far the best bang-for-your-buck. If I could change my preorder (512GB) and not lose my place in line, I would.

The OT (this is just the shipping thread) might have more info for you: https://www.resetera.com/threads/steam-deck-ot-your-games-are-going-places.556834

EDIT: And in case you didn't know, the reserves are very backed up: if you reserve one now you will most likely not get it until 2023.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
This is somewhat of a personal question. However, generally, most people have found that games running on SD cards with decent read speeds run mostly the same as the NVMe drives. Additionally, if you are technically inclined at all with hardware it seems relatively straightforward to replace the internal storage with an aftermarket SSD. The etched display of the 512GB model seems to indeed help a bit with glare, but it's not worth the premium. Given all of this, I personally think the base 64GB model is by far the best bang-for-your-buck. If I could change my preorder (512GB) and not lose my place in line, I would.

The OT (this is just the shipping thread) might have more info for you: https://www.resetera.com/threads/steam-deck-ot-your-games-are-going-places.556834

Thanks so much for the info :)

The screen would probably be the biggest selling point for me. I was leaning towards the middle tier one but I didn't think about replacing the hard drive.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks so much for the info :)

The screen would probably be the biggest selling point for me. I was leaning towards the middle tier one but I didn't think about replacing the hard drive.
Happy to help. Btw to set your expectations appropriately I added an edit that the ETA is likely 2023 for a Deck reserved now :/ All Valve is saying is "After Q3" but realistically it's into 2023.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

I bought the 64GB model and upgraded it to 256GB SSD myself and didn't notice much speed difference. If you're moderately familiar with taking apart electronics the swap is easy and you can always do it later if speeds are bad in a given game. I saved $100 getting the bare SSD for under $30 rather than paying $130 for the upgrade (I think prices have gone up but still much cheaper than the price Valve charges).

Piercedveil

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure it means much but the order I placed yesterday has already moved from "processing" to "shipping soon".

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the 64GB model and upgraded it to 256GB SSD myself and didn't notice much speed difference. If you're moderately familiar with taking apart electronics the swap is easy and you can always do it later if speeds are bad in a given game. I saved $100 getting the bare SSD for under $30 rather than paying $130 for the upgrade (I think prices have gone up but still much cheaper than the price Valve charges).

I don't think I'm too keen on doing that. I had to fix my dualsense joystick a couple months ago and it was incredibly nerve wracking.

I actually just ordered the 256 gb model.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to go ahead and order the 64GB as a back up to my 256GB. Might just go ahead and swap that one over to windows to play around with it that way. I'll find some use for it.

Piercedveil

Oct 25, 2017

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just to set expectations, I live in the US & got the email for 512gb yesterday and bought. Went from pending and now says shipping soon as of 1:30pm est. What are the odds I get this thing by Wednesday? I'm leaving for vacation Thursday morning and really wanna bring this thing with me.
My Monday order shipped on Thursday and is not scheduled to arrive until Tuesday. It became shipping soon on Tuesday. I assume yours will likely not arrive until Thursday at the earliest.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, monitoring tracking, it arrived in UK and my local depot this morning, but got an email it's due to be delivered Monday..
Anyone know if it can be changed to Saturday (today) or even just if collecting at depot is possible?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Took over a week since I put in my order, but my Deck has finally been delivered. I'm 6,600 miles away though, so I asked someone to bring it inside in the meantime.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Received my Deck on Thursday and it's been a blast to use. In total it took 6 days from payment until receiving it, with the shipping taking 4 days.

I hope all received their devices soon, it's easily one of the best gaming related purchases I have made in years.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Received my Deck on Thursday and it's been a blast to use. In total it took 6 days from payment until receiving it, with the shipping taking 4 days.

I hope all received their devices soon, it's easily one of the best gaming related purchases I have made in years.
Ditto but Tuesday. Absolutely enamored with it. I'm a strictly console gamer traditionally. Steam Deck takes PC gaming and turns it into a (mostly) lean back experience.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I verified my purchase on Thursday and haven't heard anything about shipping yet. I'm leaving for a week this next Friday and I just know it's going to end up sitting on my front porch, alternatingly being soaked by rain and baked in the sun.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Welp

Just checked my email today and apparently my steam deck reservation was cancelled after a tiny three day confirmation window that I missed even though I've been checking my emails every three to five days for months. If I'd known about the short confirmation window I would have been checking every single day (which feels obsessive to me but whatever). Stuff like this could be avoided If they'd at least given me a heads up warning a week ago that I'm almost up next or if they'd given us the option of paying the full asking price day one. I contacted steam support, but doubt they'll be able to help me.

At the end of the day it's ultimately my fault and I still appreciate their reservation system meant to combat the awful rash of gaming hardware scalping that has plagued us these last few years. It's certainly way ahead of what AMD and Nvidia did for PC gamers and GPU scalping, but I think I'm just going to wait until valve releases an OLED version or something if support can't help me because another five to six months of constant email checking is a long time to wait for something that will probably be replaced just months later by a new version.

Damn this sucks

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Welp

Just checked my email today and apparently my steam deck reservation was cancelled after a tiny three day confirmation window that I missed even though I've been checking my emails every three to five days for months. If I'd known about the short confirmation window I would have been checking every single day (which feels obsessive to me but whatever). Stuff like this could be avoided If they'd at least given me a heads up warning a week ago that I'm almost up next or if they'd given us the option of paying the full asking price day one. I contacted steam support, but doubt they'll be able to help me.

At the end of the day it's ultimately my fault and I still appreciate their reservation system meant to combat the awful rash of gaming hardware scalping that has plagued us these last few years. It's certainly way ahead of what AMD and Nvidia did for PC gamers and GPU scalping, but I think I'm just going to wait until valve releases an OLED version or something if support can't help me because another five to six months of constant email checking is a long time to wait for something that will probably be replaced just months later by a new version.

Damn this sucks

Steam support will open your reservation again for you, it's happened dozens of times in this thread.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
You made my damn day lol. I hope so. I'll probably be checking my emails every six hours starting Monday morning.

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
I just tried that calculator thingie and it says July 10th 2023 XD

Looks like I should put this on the back of my mind for a good long while haha

Mar 23, 2018
According to that Reddit spreadsheet, my Jul 19 order is still 2 days and 21 hours behind other EU 512GB orders.

According to the calculator, I'm due for June 13th and according to Valve, I was Q1 before and now Q2... Unless reservations really slowed down after the first day, I don't see it. Only around 6 hours have passed in the queue since they started shipping. I should trust Valve and the calculator, though

Oct 28, 2017
According to that Reddit spreadsheet, my Jul 19 order is still 2 days and 21 hours behind other EU 512GB orders.

According to the calculator, I'm due for June 13th and according to Valve, I was Q1 before and now Q2... Unless reservations really slowed down after the first day, I don't see it. Only around 6 hours have passed in the queue since they started shipping. I should trust Valve and the calculator, though

It stands to reason that at some point the time windows are going to widen quite a bit. I'd imagine the calculators have (limited) reservation data to suggest that