• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
damn, just found out you can't dual boot with windows. I don't want to nuke my whole SteamOS partition...

what's the fastest SD card out there to run Windows off of?

There should be guides on dual booting from the SSD out there, it's just not recommended by Valve til their dual boot wizard is ready.

If you do use an SD card, get an A2 class card, the extra IoPs help a ton with windows performance.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
damn, just found out you can't dual boot with windows. I don't want to nuke my whole SteamOS partition...

what's the fastest SD card out there to run Windows off of?
I've seen videos showing/saying that you can dual boot. The "basic" version means that if you hit power on, the windows OS launches. If you want to launch steam OS you have to hold volume down and power on to get into a bootloader menu.

There are then third party bootloaders you can install so that when you press power on, you go straight to a choice screen and dont have to use the Vol- extra press.

It was from the last month or so so I assumed it was true!?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I could not give up SteamOS either with the ease of use.

There should be guides on dual booting from the SSD out there, it's just not recommended by Valve til their dual boot wizard is ready.

If you do use an SD card, get an A2 class card, the extra IoPs help a ton with windows performance.

I've seen videos showing/saying that you can dual boot. The "basic" version means that if you hit power on, the windows OS launches. If you want to launch steam OS you have to hold volume down and power on to get into a bootloader menu.

There are then third party bootloaders you can install so that when you press power on, you go straight to a choice screen and dont have to use the Vol- extra press.

It was from the last month or so so I assumed it was true!?

OK - thanks guys. I have til early August when I go on vacation and will try to play MultiVersus from a beach house....

Hopefully Valve has their Wizard or WB turns on EAC by then lol

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Is there any way to charge this while in it's case? Because given the battery life this seems like the kind of device that you want to charge when not in use like a phone/tablet.
But I don't want to leave it out so it gets dusty. The way the case is designed though doesn't seem like you can even semi-close the case with the charging cable in. Any good solutions for keeping the dust off while also keeping it charged?

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
I've picked up a 1TB SD Card and have a question to anyone who's dual booting Windows and Steam OS both from the SSD - If I move games from the SSD to SD Card to empty the SSD, can I just use GParted to shrink my current image of SteamOS, or is it highly recommended to start from a fresh image? Ideally I'd like to stick with my current setup since I've tinkered a fair bit with it but if it's going to cause any major issues and be absolutely necessary, I'll start from scratch.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to charge this while in it's case? Because given the battery life this seems like the kind of device that you want to charge when not in use like a phone/tablet.
But I don't want to leave it out so it gets dusty. The way the case is designed though doesn't seem like you can even semi-close the case with the charging cable in. Any good solutions for keeping the dust off while also keeping it charged?

I rotate it 180 degrees when charging with the case unzipped but closed, it rests well and the cable pops out of the gap.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017

I got a new charger and a cable with a 90-degree USB-C connector. Now it charges inside the case.

irri

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I downloaded a flatpak (native Linux) game and added it to steam as a non steam game. Works great in desktop mode but in steam os when I try to launch it never loads. It's really strange and I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Downloads on Steam are incrediblely CPU heavy due to compression and unpacking, there isn't a good solution for a standby download option as it would burn through battery life, and more importantly generate a ton of heat, you don't want to put your deck in a case, have it start downloading overnight and cook itself with no ventilation.

Of you have a lot of downloads you need to due, I would recommend you put it into desktop mode, queue them up, plug it in and find a nice safe spot to leave it, then set the power settings for desktop to not sleep while plugged in but to turn off the screen after a few minutes.

I'm fine with that if it's unplugged and I'm using it. But my point is, if I have my deck charging and then set a download and go to bed, I should be able to have the screen turned off.

In that scenario, battery life is irrelevant.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with that if it's unplugged and I'm using it. But my point is, if I have my deck charging and then set a download and go to bed, I should be able to have the screen turned off.

In that scenario, battery life is irrelevant.

Just set it that way for desktop mode, then start all your downloads there before bed.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How prevalent are USB C hubs bricking Decks? This popped up in my youtube feed, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RvURb97Zs4

I know there are going to be some bad cases, and I already used a USB C hub with no problems, but I wanted to get an idea if I should keep it connected or not depending on people's experiences. Seems like it's a rare case and maybe dependant on the mfg

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
How prevalent are USB C hubs bricking Decks? This popped up in my youtube feed, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RvURb97Zs4

I know there are going to be some bad cases, and I already used a USB C hub with no problems, but I wanted to get an idea if I should keep it connected or not depending on people's experiences. Seems like it's a rare case and maybe dependant on the mfg
I can totally see this. I charged my Steam Deck with the Macbook charger and after that (or it is a huge coincidence) my battery was pretty fooked. Needed to re-calibrate and everything

While many docks should just work I would search which other docks people use first!

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
Oh, nice. Will do this!

I rotate it 180 degrees when charging with the case unzipped but closed, it rests well and the cable pops out of the gap.

Don't do this!

There's a reason why Valve chose to place the Deck into the Case this way, so you aren't grilling your expensive device while charging it. It can get hot while charging and having this closed in inside this fluffy case just multiplies the heat, everyone who accidentally had a power strip with charger or a AA battery charger station under a pillow knows what's up.

So you definitely shouldn't do that.

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
I downloaded a flatpak (native Linux) game and added it to steam as a non steam game. Works great in desktop mode but in steam os when I try to launch it never loads. It's really strange and I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Which game? Could be that you have it trying to run through Proton or something - make sure that's off in game mode.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Don't do this!

There's a reason why Valve chose to place the Deck into the Case this way, so you aren't grilling your expensive device while charging it. It can get hot while charging and having this closed in inside this fluffy case just multiplies the heat, everyone who accidentally had a power strip with charger or a AA battery charger station under a pillow knows what's up.

There's quite a bit of ventilation when it's like this since the cable props it open and the deck also sits raised a little when backwards, if it was downloading or something pushing the apu it might be concerning but for standby charging it's plenty.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
Got my Deck and I absolutely love it. One big problem, though: something about the ergonomics of the device really aggravates the tendonitis in my wrists. I try to be careful and haven't had a flare-up in six months or so, and within a day of owning and gaming on the Deck I was suddenly having issues again. I put the Deck down for a week, waited for the flare-up to die down, and then as an experiment gamed on the Deck again for a few hours to see if anything happened. Lo and behold, I wake up the next morning with a tendonitis flare up in both of my wrists.

tl;dr: is there anyone ITT with tendonitis or carpal tunnel in their wrists who've figured out a way to hold the Deck that doesn't aggravate your condition? I REALLY don't want to get rid of my Deck, but if I can't use it without causing myself physical pain I'm going to have to.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I can totally see this. I charged my Steam Deck with the Macbook charger and after that (or it is a huge coincidence) my battery was pretty fooked. Needed to re-calibrate and everything

While many docks should just work I would search which other docks people use first!
Used a smallish $70 Anker dock with no issues. Ordered a specific Steam dock from Jsaux though instead.

Basically get a decent quality dock from a decent company and you should be ok, IMO.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Deck and I absolutely love it. One big problem, though: something about the ergonomics of the device really aggravates the tendonitis in my wrists. I try to be careful and haven't had a flare-up in six months or so, and within a day of owning and gaming on the Deck I was suddenly having issues again. I put the Deck down for a week, waited for the flare-up to die down, and then as an experiment gamed on the Deck again for a few hours to see if anything happened. Lo and behold, I wake up the next morning with a tendonitis flare up in both of my wrists.

tl;dr: is there anyone ITT with tendonitis or carpal tunnel in their wrists who've figured out a way to hold the Deck that doesn't aggravate your condition? I REALLY don't want to get rid of my Deck, but if I can't use it without causing myself physical pain I'm going to have to.

Can't speak to your condition, but I do feel the comfort level can vary wildly. Are you gripping it tightly? I just hold it very loosely while my hands rest on my legs. My grip level is super weak this way. I could drain a battery without fatigue this way. It's like the most comfortable controller ever, actually.

Conversely, I've played it lying down. Where I place a pillow on my chest and let it stand on top of the pillow while I loosely grip it and keep it from falling down.

Both are super comfortable for extended periods for me.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

My wrists usually start hurting if I hold a Switch without grips or even vanilla large phone and try to game. Deck has been super comfortable though so far. Try to prop your elbows on something and see if that helps.

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
Don't choose a proton in the settings of the game in gaming mode, as far as I know, it only runs games in Linux version if you have this setting set to standard, otherwise it uses the chosen proton (and I had at least one game that then also didn't start anymore). Have you checked that?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
My wrists usually start hurting if I hold a Switch without grips or even vanilla large phone and try to game. Deck has been super comfortable though so far. Try to prop your elbows on something and see if that helps.

I have the opposite problem and I think it's completely due to the weight of the Deck. It can't be the physical shape because I recognize that the Deck should be more ergonomic to hold compared to the Switch but no other controller or handheld system regardless of the shape causes my left wrist area to hurt over time like the Deck and the only thing I can think of is the weight.

I've tried to hold it in different ways, but I just can't find a way to hold it where I can play it at any length of time. I had to stop playing it for a week and a half just to get my wrist to feel better too. What sucks is I didn't even realize I had any sort of a problem until I got my Deck since nothing caused pain like this before. Part of me is hoping that a combination of just playing it a lot since it was brand new, and building up my arm to get used to it will ease it over time when I play it in moderation.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Don't do this!

Does it really get hot while charging and turned off?

I can't think of any of my portables or laptops or electronics that get hot while charging if turned off. I usually keep all my electronics in cases when not in use and charging.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

I can't think of any of my portables or laptops or electronics that get hot while charging if turned off. I usually keep all my electronics in cases when not in use and charging.
I charge it in case all the time in Sleep mode (also got right angle adapter). It doesn't get hot at all.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017

Doesn't really get hot, the way I sit it turned 180 degrees the case is open about 3/4 of an inch and the back of the deck is raised around 1/4 of an inch off the case, plenty of airflow for just the charger.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
So you are using an adapter. This thread got me looking on Amazon and it seems the adapters have voltage ratings. What exactly would you need for a power rating with Deck?

To get the best charging for the deck you will want a 15v/3a charger/cable to get the full 45w

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
To get the best charging for the deck you will want a 15v/3a charger/cable to get the full 45w

Yeah. I was trying to be cheap about it. That's why I found it interesting to see the whole adapter thing and whether it's possible.

It seems like something like this would qualify? 3A and the description says up to 100 watts.

Although looking at it, maybe that one is too long?

StereoVSN

What model have you purchased exactly? Or are you just talking about a whole new cable you bought?

Joeschmo

Jul 11, 2018

I couldn't use the switch in handheld mode without the split pad pro, and I'm definitely having trouble with the deck ergonomics too. I bought a TPU case from Amazon just to see if the little bit of extra grip or space to grab would help, but I've only used it for like a day so I can't really say yet.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I was trying to be cheap about it. That's why I found it interesting to see the whole adapter thing and whether it's possible.

It seems like something like this would qualify? 3A and the description says up to 100 watts.

StereoVSN

What model have you purchased exactly? Or are you just talking about a whole new cable you bought?

For the price of those dongles it's almost getting into new cable range, if you have a suitable charger sitting around (I feel like you might have some from your Quest 2 atleast lol).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
For the price of those dongles it's almost getting into new cable range, if you have a suitable charger sitting around (I feel like you might have some from your Quest 2 atleast lol).

My Quest 2 charger is sitting in the box. I just use my old Q1 charger because the Q2 one was so short. Is the Q2 adapter really rated high enough to properly power this?

I thought you needed expensive power plugs for this? I would just swap out the cable, but it's hardwired into the Deck plug. And I figured I needed a 30 dollar plug if I wanted something that could actually power this thing properly.

Funny thing is, my Quest 2 and Deck are right next to each other. I would love if I could just have one cable instead of running two.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

StereoVSN

The one I got appears not to be sold anymore, but this one should work. Picked this onr up recently but haven't tested.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
My Quest 2 charger is sitting in the box. I just use my old Q1 charger because the Q2 one was so short. Is the Q2 adapter really rated high enough to properly power this?

I thought you needed expensive power plugs for this? I would just swap out the cable, but it's hardwired into the Deck plug. And I figured I needed a 30 dollar plug if I wanted something that could actually power this thing properly.

Funny thing is, my Quest 2 and Deck are right next to each other. I would love if I could just have one cable instead of running two.

It's probably a little weak to use on the deck, was. just thinking you might have a couple other usb-c chargers sitting around with higher capacity. If not an adapter might work fine, I just try to avoid those when possible since cable prices are normally about the same these days.

I pop my deck charger into my phone alot these days to save space lol, my quest is right next door but normally has it's own cable on a lower power one it shared with my phone since it's always in a case and needs a 90 degree cable to charge well in there

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Isn't that crazy? The Deck is proving that portability is trumping fidelity and graphics for some. Playing the same PC games on my actual PC feels like a breath a fresh air but at the end of the day I'd much rather play on the sofa than on my desk.

This is why I continue to buy Switch games despite owning a PC. The general rule of thumb is that if there's a switch version of a game, that's the one I'm buying, despite whatever graphical and performance shortcomings it has; portability is the game changer.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that crazy? The Deck is proving that portability is trumping fidelity and graphics for some. Playing the same PC games on my actual PC feels like a breath a fresh air but at the end of the day I'd much rather play on the sofa than on my desk.

It depends for me. There's definitely a limit in how badly something can perform that the portability can't win out. As a result, there are definitely a few regrets I have on the switch.

Though that's also a plus side to the deck. Worst comes to worst, you can likely just play on your actual computer.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The one I got appears not to be sold anymore, but this one should work. Picked this onr up recently but haven't tested.

Yeah. That would work.

It's probably a little weak to use on the deck, was. just thinking you might have a couple other usb-c chargers sitting around with higher capacity. If not an adapter might work fine, I just try to avoid those when possible since cable prices are normally about the same these days.

I pop my deck charger into my phone alot these days to save space lol, my quest is right next door but normally has it's own cable on a lower power one it shared with my phone since it's always in a case and needs a 90 degree cable to charge well in there

Oh, I forgot. My Quest 2 cable does share duty with my phone.

I've just been hesitant to mix beyond that since the horror stories of people bricking their Decks with poor power supplies. I've never been a big laptop fan, so I don't have any honking large power adapters lying around.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. That would work.

Oh, I forgot. My Quest 2 cable does share duty with my phone.

I've just been hesitant to mix beyond that since the horror stories of people bricking their Decks with poor power supplies. I've never been a big laptop fan, so I don't have any honking large power adapters lying around.

I don't think anyone has actually bricked a deck yet with a weird power supply, there was some error tripping the deck when some wattages were pulled as I recall, but it was fixable with a reset in the bios, think they patched that awhile back.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Just got XCloud up and running and I must say that this device is very impressive piece of technology. One of my best purchases this year because XCloud is damn near flawless on this thing.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Saw an interesting story, dunno if it was posted:

videocardz.com

VALVE wants to optimize Steam OS for AMD Ryzen 7 6800U powered consoles, GPD confirms - VideoCardz.com

Better Steam OS for GPD consoles The competition from new AMD RDNA2 powered handheld console is not a problem for Valve. On a contrary, the company has reached out to GPD with a proposal to optimize Steam OS system for their console, a more powerful one. GPD has just revealed its Win Max 2...

Valve reached out to GPD to help optimize SteamOS for their devices.

I may "downgrade" my existing computer to something sporting just an APU if this keeps going at this rate.

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
Just turned on old fan curve, lowered Elden Ring to the lowest settings possible, and lowest res (using FSR):

View: https://imgur.com/a/UXCxHy9

That's with ~22c ambient. In addition to the awful Temps, look at that shitty frame time graph. I even went to the starting area of Limgrave to see what it'd be like.

Well, yeah... something is up with that. Dunno what though.

In Limgrave I'm looking at this with low 20s (C) ambient temp, after running around a bit.

gWUk8HE.jpg

Settings are as below, at native res and with the APU capped at 12W. Frame rate capped at 30 fps.

Other areas can push the temps/fan a bit higher, but I stay at a locked 30 fps. I can easily up some of the settings and stay at 30 fps, but then some areas will push the fan a bit too high for my liking.

rR7ZKge.jpg

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I replaced my Delta fan with a Huaying from iFixit but I think temps are much worse :/ Unfortunately, I hadn't measured them before.

Elden Ring is consistently high 80s/low 90s on CPU now (I'm in the fire-y area with the huge wolves in the top right of the map in Limgrave). I can't tell if it's throttling.

Just turned on old fan curve, lowered Elden Ring to the lowest settings possible, and lowest res (using FSR):

View: https://imgur.com/a/UXCxHy9

That's with ~22c ambient. In addition to the awful Temps, look at that shitty frame time graph. I even went to the starting area of Limgrave to see what it'd be like.

Yeah, that sucks. Especially when you forget to do a preliminary test to make sure everything is the same. Any chance you mucked something up when reassembling? I know there's some tape that's important for airflow near the exhaust.

I'd either retrace my steps and make sure everything is back in its right place or replace the fan with the old one and see if it's then good temps and go from there.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that sucks. Especially when you forget to do a preliminary test to make sure everything is the same. Any chance you mucked something up when reassembling? I know there's some tape that's important for airflow near the exhaust.

Snipe's CPU is going fucking wild in that picture, is that normal in ER? Possibly something going on in the background?

Status
Not open for further replies.