• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but PoE will release their controller support on PC officially with the next update in 3 days.

Timestamp (29:44) with Deck gameplay:

unknown.png

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to say screw it for Steve OS until it gets itself in better shape as far as compatibility there's really no reason this point for me not to use windows instead. I can dual boot later on but for now everything is just gonna stay on the SSD as far as Windows goes and remove steam OS for now. It's gotten rather silly trying to do a compatibility layer for everything where I can just literally just boot it to windows. Yeah the know audio sucks for now but at least I can use a USB c adapter for audio which works fine. Maneuvering around windows is a bit of a pain in the but truthfully it doesn't really matter because honestly all I need to do is just set the game up once to get it to run from Steam and then it works anyway. Still less hassle than dealing with steamos compatibility unless it's already a working game especially for third parties like game pass or epic games etc.

One question I do have, is there an actual good Bluetooth headset that has low Latency or is that not even a thing with Bluetooth 5.0 now still?

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Any idea when we are getting a proper FFXIV fix or should I just use the work around with the other launcher? I am kind of hesitant to do the latter since I am worried about an account ban.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any updates/word on official Fall Guys anticheat support or is it still just playable with the workaround?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not happening given Epics stance on supporting their games on Linux anti cheat(they won't)
My understanding was that for this game the work to support anticheat was already done and the reason why it wasn't working 100% was a configuration issue, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a good tool in Linux for telling you which folders are using the most space?

I've got a bit over 40gb installed directly from Steam, and I have Dragon Age Inquisition from Origin which is around 45gb, and I have about 15gb of roms.
But when I look at the storage I see the 40gb of "games," and nearly 120gb of "other". DA:I and the roms should only be about 60gb, so I seem to have about 60gb of space wasted somewhere. I'm sure some of that is basic system file stuff, but I'm sure a good chunk of that much be from installing something through Origin or Epic that didn't get deleted properly.

If there's an app that can easily track that stuff down I'd love to know. Checking every folder gets pretty tedious after a while.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my replacement Deck, so far so good. Doesn't have the same right trackpad haptics issue at least.
Have you finished installing all the Steam Deck updates on the new Deck?

I also recently replaced my Deck due to haptic issues. When I got the new one it worked great. And then I installed all the updates… instantly the left haptics were stronger again!

The good news is I was able to adjust the left side back down (it wasn't like my old deck where the left haptics were 10x stronger than the right). But it's so odd… 🤷‍♂️

BushidoBro

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good tool in Linux for telling you which folders are using the most space?

I've got a bit over 40gb installed directly from Steam, and I have Dragon Age Inquisition from Origin which is around 45gb, and I have about 15gb of roms.
But when I look at the storage I see the 40gb of "games," and nearly 120gb of "other". DA:I and the roms should only be about 60gb, so I seem to have about 60gb of space wasted somewhere. I'm sure some of that is basic system file stuff, but I'm sure a good chunk of that much be from installing something through Origin or Epic that didn't get deleted properly.

If there's an app that can easily track that stuff down I'd love to know. Checking every folder gets pretty tedious after a while.

I'm dabbling more into emulation and stores outside of Steam so have been thinking of doing the same. Haven't tried it yet but maybe this? https://apps.gnome.org/app/org.gnome.baobab/

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding was that for this game the work to support anticheat was already done and the reason why it wasn't working 100% was a configuration issue, but maybe I'm mistaken.

You're correct in the sense that it works for all games provided they update a flag in the backend but I'm saying this because Epic Tim expressed zero confidence in the product (EAC which they own coincidentally).

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I just got my Deck about an hour ago and it's so good. I didn't expect it to be this crisp and clean looking. It feels good in my hands too. What a great investment and now that traveling has opened back up, I'll be doing a lot of it with my Deck.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
One question I do have, is there an actual good Bluetooth headset that has low Latency or is that not even a thing with Bluetooth 5.0 now still?
You need both the receiver and transmitter to support aptx LL codec.
SteamDeck doesn't seem to support it natively, so you're stuck with 150-200 ms of lag with Bluetooth audio.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the Disc Usage recommendations.

I checked it out and I guess I wasn't missing as much space as I thought. Forgot I had a few GBs of EGS games installed.

Thankfully I moved some stuff to my SD card and had enough space for GOTG which I just bought (decent bundle deal since I already had Avengers).

Oct 27, 2017
You need both the receiver and transmitter to support aptx LL codec.
SteamDeck doesn't seem to support it natively, so you're stuck with 150-200 ms of lag with Bluetooth audio.
Ah ok thanks! I was reading around a bit and was seeming to come to the same conclusion. As there doesn't seem to be much discussion around options that work. Well at least usbc is an option for now and seems fine. I wish the onboard windows drivers would just come out though so I don't have to use the only USB C port for it.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Ah ok thanks! I was reading around a bit and was seeming to come to the same conclusion. As there doesn't seem to be much discussion around options that work. Well at least usbc is an option for now and seems fine. I wish the onboard windows drivers would just come out though so I don't have to use the only USB C port for it.
You can always try using a good DAC that supports USB audio and aptx LL.
Fiio BTR3k or BTR5 seems to both do, but I don't have any headphones that have LL support, so can't really verify it for you.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't expect it to be this crisp and clean looking.
Awesome to hear you received it and are enjoying - congrats! I honestly think the screen is fine and don't get some of the meltdowns in this thread about it. Sure it's not an OLED but I really wonder if there's some variability in the quality because, while I own a 65 inch LG CX and use a 5K 27 inch iMac monitor for almost all my other games, the deck screen completely gets the job done 🤷‍♂️ To each their own I guess

The tears of those of us still waiting will polish it up nicely. 😂
I move for a dedicated celebration thread when Tobor gets his deck. The whole thread is waiting for the moment at this point lol

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I move for a dedicated celebration thread when Tobor gets his deck. The whole thread is waiting for the moment at this point lol

I'm trying to not be a nuisance, but once in a while I can't help myself. Haha.

I looked at eBay listings again today and had to stop myself from spending $1500 to get one now. The next 3 months I need to stay strong.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
No More Heroes listed as unsupported, but it works flawlessly at 60 with minor dips of beam clashes. Looks so good!

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Awesome to hear you received it and are enjoying - congrats! I honestly think the screen is fine and don't get some of the meltdowns in this thread about it. Sure it's not an OLED but I really wonder if there's some variability in the quality because, while I own a 65 inch LG CX and use a 5K 27 inch iMac monitor for almost all my other games, the deck screen completely gets the job done 🤷‍♂️ To each their own I guess
I didn't know there were screen issues because It looks fine to me. I have a 65 inch OLED as well and I am more than happy with the Deck's screen. I don't pay attention to much chatter because I like to judge for myself and so far, it's bomb.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome to hear you received it and are enjoying - congrats! I honestly think the screen is fine and don't get some of the meltdowns in this thread about it.
Black levels seem to be standard-ish for IPS, so not great, but doable (as long as you don't play in total darkness), but what annoys me more are the weak response times... Scrolling 2D games is kinda blurry.
(But then I'm coming from a 144Hz Gsync screen, so totally different ballpark).

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Deck give you an easy way to move gives directly over to the MicroSD card? i.e. I install Oblivion to internal storage, and add a SD card later

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Maybe I missed it, but PoE will release their controller support on PC officially with the next update in 3 days.

Timestamp (29:44) with Deck gameplay:

unknown.png

oh bad ass. mine should be here at the end of the week and I was trying to get ideas of what to play. would definitely try some PoE. Obviously gonna try the valve game that launched too but not sure what else. Maybe Divinity OS2 if it's supposed.. need some other ideas

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
How do I find the location of the files I just installed from an exe as a non steam app? It's not in the common folder where steam games are installed. I used an exe to install a non steam game now I want to point steam to the file to launch the actual game

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
How do I find the location of the files I just installed from an exe as a non steam app? It's not in the common folder where steam games are installed. I used an exe to install a non steam game now I want to point steam to the file to launch the actual game

Looks like they would be in a folder in the compatdata folder (where all proton prefixes live), but non-steam games seem to get a different, longer number (i.e. not the usually 7-digit Steam ID).

I believe the easiest way to install non-steam games would be to install it wherever / however you wish outside of Steam (i.e. with Lutris, if possible) and then just use Steam to actually launch the game. Otherwise, the game might not work as Steam has no idea what dependencies a non-Steam game might need.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yup in storage options you can easily moves games back and forth between SD and Internal.
It does but when I've tried to do this it was really slow. Like "is this really doing anything or not" amounts of slow. Maybe it is better experience for smaller games, but it is almost faster to just delete and download again to your preferred storage.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Files? I would either try Warpinator (winpinator) or sftp (WinSCP).

On a related topic: Is there any consensus on what format a Steam Deck SD card should be? I see Phawx did a video for BTRFS, but people are recommending it be Ext4? I'm looking for the simplest, least hassle solution (that will also allow me to transfer files from Windows onto it).

It does but when I've tried to do this it was really slow. Like "is this really doing anything or not" amounts of slow. Maybe it is better experience for smaller games, but it is almost faster to just delete and download again to your preferred storage.

Windows can do the same thing. It's excruciating coping a folder when you're literally getting kb/s transfer speeds at times. I mean, WTF. And the crazy thing is this: Years back I had a PC running Hackintosh for Unity development. And the same Unity files, on the same PC, that would take Windows minutes to transfer, would be done in a couple seconds on MacOS.

And I don't think there's any maybe about it. If you don't have to worry about bandwidth caps, I can download way faster than I can often copy files on Windows (and this sounds the same).

I'm kind of hoping I can save on the bandwidth and transfer things like Forza 4 over the local network, but I fear it's going to crawl compared to just downloading it.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
On a related topic: Is there any consensus on what format a Steam Deck SD card should be? I see Phawx did a video for BTRFS, but people are recommending it be Ext4? I'm looking for the simplest, least hassle solution (that will also allow me to transfer files from Windows onto it).
I just used whatever format the Deck makes the card by default and use WinSCP to transfer files back and forth between systems.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle

Doesnt seem too slow for me, it took like 3-5 minutes to transfer Monster Hunter Rise which is about 20 gbs.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can't you just do a Samba share? That's how I move files back and forth from my Raspberry Pi and Mac.
Yeah, this works too.
Doesnt seem too slow for me, it took like 3-5 minutes to transfer Monster Hunter Rise which is about 20 gbs.
Must be my card or something else that was going on at the time, I feel like I sat it down and came back 5min later and was little progress, but this was several updates ago.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this works too.

Must be my card or something else that was going on at the time, I feel like I sat it down and came back 5min later and was little progress, but this was several updates ago.

SD card? Could be slow writes, what card are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.