• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Sure but i see it more as worst case scenario is you are getting it later, which likely would be a second improved iterations while Valve also keeps improving the OS and game support.

Even in the single month I had it there was a lot of development and I think people are going to be fine no matter when they jump in. This thing is going to improve. If you are already questioning the time you could spend on it, you might be better off just waiting until you really want it...as Gabe already said the device itself isn't going anywhere and I don't know if the FOMO is warranted unless you absolutely need it asap.

It's a great device though, so I also understand why people want to just own it even if they are satisfied with what they already have a home lol.
I think it's a neat idea and device and I have been excited to get one as soon as it was mentioned, and you are right it is going to improve for sure. However the more I think about it this thing is going to have a very small use case, for a very small amount of specific people who want it.

It's not for me, I have way too many portables and also use a galaxy note 20 ultra with a razer kishi for portable emulation. I also have a gaming laptop for play around the house. I love taking my laptop anywhere and all games will look and play better on a 15inch screen.

My laptop was 550 bucks has a amd 560x graphics card which is to say it ain't cutting edge, I'd still never recommend a steam deck over it for gaming on account of all a laptop can do and it plays more steam games than a deck.

At this point the deck just seems like a jack of all trades master of none type deal that comes with moderate commitment for the user. And this device is more useful for a hardcore hardcore steam player, someone who already possesses a vast steam library.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Does that mean cheat engine and re2 remake for my scared ass is possible by that screen grab?

At the time that was posted, they were just placeholders for what they would look like if they were actually available as a plugin. Hopefully something will come along soon and it'll be added soon. Or an alternative that's just as good.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Totally agree with this. If you already own all the games on Steam then it makes sense. The screen still sucks compared to the OLED though. Absolutely no comparison there.
Also, if I'm going to be choosing to use a specific device for its image quality, I'm going to choose to use my desktop anyway, not my Switch or Deck. As long as the screen is acceptable (it is) then it's fine.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hm, trying to edit the video settings at the beginning of AI: The Somnium Files, but there's no way for me to leave that setting screen. Wonder if I'd have to go into Desktop mode and try it that way and see if it sticks?

Edit: Seemed to work, but I got an error when I tried to use fullscreen. I was able to get it in borderless which let me bump up the resolution. Didn't have time to mess around with it so I'll try it later.

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The simple fact that I can play my games in my already existing steam library trumps all of this, also the switch ergonomics are for lego hands

Not only that but also most other libraries around - each year between gog and epic there are aournd 30 games that are gifted out, many of them great! You won't have to spend anything on games if you wanted to just chew through these.
And then there's the insane itch.io indie library through the bundles over these last few years.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Not only that but also most other libraries around - each year between gog and epic there are aournd 30 games that are gifted out, many of them great! You won't have to spend anything on games if you wanted to just chew through these.
And then there's the insane itch.io indie library through the bundles over these last few years.
I also got uplay and the ea app working as well. I love this thing.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Main thing with the Switch is on stuff like Castlevania Collection, it feels laggier than on my PC so the Steam Deck became more attractive to me accordingly.

That and Switch is a desert for fighting games really so being able to have portable current fighting games is really handy.

How do fighting games like Street Fighter and the like play on this thing?
Most I've tried work great. (Aside from the usual 4 button config messing with me on SFV.) SCVI, SFV, KoF XV all run at a solid 60 fps with no tinkering.

monx

Sep 30, 2020
I'm just hoping that long term, things will be easier to do. I hate the hassle of having to install a ton of stuff through Linux with lines of codes. Fair for emulation but for other games (on other platforms and such) it's kind of a pain in the ass. I wish the software was better but I'm hopeful Valve will improve it at a fast pace.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I assume that with the EA Desktop app working, you have access to the games that are part of EA Play/Game Pass?

Yes. Its tricky to get it working but once you do, you can install games from your Gamepass entitlement to EA Play. Only thing, I never realized the EA App doesnt have cloud saves so you are unable to effectively play on two devices unless you use some save syncing strategy

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
So yea this is the best portable gaming device in existence. It has some flaws such as the weight, no kickstand (this is a really big problem), the screen, and the software still being clunky but it's still fucking awesome. It's definitely closer to a PC than a console and that's the best thing about it. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.
Is the kickstand really a big deal? I can't say that I've ever used it once on my switch and I've owned the thing since launch

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Yes. Its tricky to get it working but once you do, you can install games from your Gamepass entitlement to EA Play. Only thing, I never realized the EA App doesnt have cloud saves so you are unable to effectively play on two devices unless you use some save syncing strategy
That's great to hear! Do you have a guide or how did you get it to work?

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I assume that with the EA Desktop app working, you have access to the games that are part of EA Play/Game Pass?
Yup
What method did you use to get the EA app working? The Bottles method doesn't let me install games, and nothing else even lets me get that far. I've got Origin working but you can't access Game Pass EA Play through that.
I used bottles. I'll have to check what settings I used for the install to get it to work correctly when I get home.

monx

Sep 30, 2020
For a non-steam game, can I simply copy files from Windows to my SD card and it would work? (assuming windows can read ext4 files)

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Is the kickstand really a big deal? I can't say that I've ever used it once on my switch and I've owned the thing since launch

Yeah I don't see the appeal of the kickstand idea myself either. On the Switch it makes sense as you can take the joycons off while the main tablet sits on a table but the deck doesn't do that trick so the kickstand is super niche for using additional inputs rather then the default.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Fixed the RPCX3 sound problem. I had to turn off buffering and set and set the audio out to "FAudio." Now it works!

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I think it's a neat idea and device and I have been excited to get one as soon as it was mentioned, and you are right it is going to improve for sure. However the more I think about it this thing is going to have a very small use case, for a very small amount of specific people who want it.

It's not for me, I have way too many portables and also use a galaxy note 20 ultra with a razer kishi for portable emulation. I also have a gaming laptop for play around the house. I love taking my laptop anywhere and all games will look and play better on a 15inch screen.

My laptop was 550 bucks has a amd 560x graphics card which is to say it ain't cutting edge, I'd still never recommend a steam deck over it for gaming on account of all a laptop can do and it plays more steam games than a deck.

At this point the deck just seems like a jack of all trades master of none type deal that comes with moderate commitment for the user. And this device is more useful for a hardcore hardcore steam player, someone who already possesses a vast steam library.

Hard disagree on the bolded.

The Switch proved this form factor is a winner, and Valve preordered hundreds of thousands of units on day 1 alone. It's early days, but this form factor and concept are on the right path.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm an outlier then because I have no Steam library and I'm willing to sell my switch eShop account and rebuy the games I can on Steam to have a better visual and comfort experience than Switch

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
For me it is when I'm trying to do stuff in Desktop mode with a keyboard, I have to prop it against my laptop. If you're just in Gaming Mode all the time then it's whatever. It's also so insanely heavy that being able to set it down sometimes is nice. Only device I've had where my arms start to hurt after using it for awhile.

Mar 11, 2020
i got ps2 games working on my deck in deck mode finally after much finagling. Transfering files over to it was a pain until i found out about Warpinator to use in desktop mode since i have no linux devices only windows myself.

Super Robot Wars OG 1 and 2 with translation patch runs flawlessly!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Upon getting my unit, I'm realizing the second time around now that I much prefer indies on this thing than some tired ass AAA titles

Most of my play is at home, so it makes sense I guess, as my PC for full blown AAA experiences is right there, and it's not like I'm sitting on the beach playing RDR 2 instead of Hades or something
That's pretty much what I bought it for. Basically an upgrade to my Switch which I was using more or less as an indie machine. The fact that I can also play some AAA/AA games on it and Gamepass games (with some workarounds) is a bonus.

nmkd

May 23, 2020
For a non-steam game, can I simply copy files from Windows to my SD card and it would work? (assuming windows can read ext4 files)

Yes.

Use SSH (SFTP) for fast wireless copying (or wired with an ethernet adapter).

1) Copy files
2) Open Steam in desktop mode
3) Click "Add a game" (bottom left corner) > Add a non-Steam game > navigate to /run/media/... > select "all files" instead of ".desktop" > select your .exe
4) Go to the gear icon on the newly added game's Steam page > Properties > Compatibility > Select a Proton version (Experimental or GE tend to be best)

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Does it work OK with a dual boot SD with Windows on it?

Starfield has me hype and being able to bounce between a handheld and Series X with the same save sounds 👌🏾

Dual Boot on an SD card works great for Gamepass stuff, you will want to set up GloSC though since for now Windows does not detect the deck controls as a controller only a mouse, GloSC will fix that and is like a 2 min setup.

The Phawx made a quick video on how to set this up to make it simple.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Do we think that Q3 will start earlier than July? Seeing as they are starting to do multiple emails per week and ramp production?

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So i'm using Heroic Games Launcher for the first time, trying to install Cyberpunk from GOG. The installation is stuck at 100% but not completing, anything I can do here?

nmkd

May 23, 2020
Do we think that Q3 will start earlier than July? Seeing as they are starting to do multiple emails per week and ramp production?

Q3 begins on July 1st.

If you mean whether some Q3 people might be moved to Q2; we don't know. It's possible but I would guess that Valve already took the ramp-up into consideration when estimating the dates/quarters.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Q3 begins on July 1st.

If you mean whether some Q3 people might be moved to Q2; we don't know. It's possible but I would guess that Valve already took the ramp-up into consideration when estimating the dates/quarters.

Yeah basically if us Q3 people can expect potentially getting it earlier since they are ramping up, but yeah your right they probably already factored it in.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Played some Halo 1 via MCC on this last night despite it reading as unsupported, thanks to the heads up from this thread. Amazing to have that whole series accessible portably now. I just really love everything about this device.

Anybody know if Forza Horizon 4 will actually run despite being unsupported? I have it via Windows Store (prior to its availability on Steam) but it's frequently on pretty deep sales at this point and I think I'll grab it if it will actually run.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yeah basically if us Q3 people can expect potentially getting it earlier since they are ramping up, but yeah your right they probably already factored it in.

Yeah, they announced they were ramping up production before they moved us all from "After Q2" to "Q3"/"After Q3".

As much as I would love to get it earlier, I don't see it. Not without mass cancellations which also isn't happening.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Played some Halo 1 via MCC on this last night despite it reading as unsupported, thanks to the heads up from this thread. Amazing to have that whole series accessible portably now. I just really love everything about this device.

Anybody know if Forza Horizon 4 will actually run despite being unsupported? I have it via Windows Store (prior to its availability on Steam) but it's frequently on pretty deep sales at this point and I think I'll grab it if it will actually run.

wait, it's unsupported? but it was shown in Deck previews..

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

One of the designers of the Steam Deck control layout is a big fighting game fan. He put that into consideration with the dpad. I don't have hands on experience myself but based on the testimony of other folks sounds like having a solid dpad is paying off well for games that require precision controls such as fighting games and action platformers.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Upon getting my unit, I'm realizing the second time around now that I much prefer indies on this thing than some tired ass AAA titles

Most of my play is at home, so it makes sense I guess, as my PC for full blown AAA experiences is right there, and it's not like I'm sitting on the beach playing RDR 2 instead of Hades or something
Sure, but it's also nice to play AAA games from a few years ago with max settings. So you pretty much get the best out of both worlds. And thanks to Steam Cloud you can play most games between several devices.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe im unlucky and got a bad batch but i find the dpad bad. Up back diagonal is finnicky and sometimes just register one of the 2 directions. The general diagonal zone is very narrow. The texture of the plastic of the dpad is prone to become a bit slick if you sweat at all. In game i find my forward or backward jumps sometimes become a straight jump, which has never been a problem for me before.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It's actually great. The dpad works well and I have no problems pulling the moves I want. So far i have played:

Killer Instinct 2013 (steam)
MK XL (Steam)
Tatsunoko vs Capcom (dolphin)
Capcom vs SNK 2 (PCSX2)
Project Justice (Flycast)
KOF 98 (Arcade)
Dark Awake (PS3)

And they all work great

Status
Not open for further replies.