• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some RPCS3 testing (really impressed with this emulator!)

Metal Gear HD collection: tried 2 which looks great and runs great. No stutters at all

Jak and Daxter collection: also running great. Games seem to be running and looking much better here than when I tried emulating my ps2 copies
IMO MGS 2 and 3 are better emulated via their PS2 versions.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Seller was Amazon, Sandisk Ultra MicroSDXC

Well that's disappointing to hear. I thought they had cracked down on having their inventory mixed to prevent fakes from being sent out. It should be easy to get it resolved with Amazon, but still that sucks that it's happening. I just picked up a 1TB from them in anticipation of my Deck coming within the next couple of months, so it would suck to learn two months from now what I got was a fake. Guess I'll see if I can determine if it's legit or not.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So how do I run FFXIV on the Deck? I know the Steam version/launcher is broken but it seems like it's still possible with the non-Steam launchers.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
How often are they updating games and compatibility ratings? Really want to play persona 4 but i see it's unsupported and protondb reports crashing. Also Red Dead 2 played great but crashes every 30 minutes or so… what are the chances valve updates compatibility for these games?

If the game was already rated against Proton 7/Experimental it probably won't get an update for a bit. Proton has major rebases where they pull all the chnages from Wine about 1-2 times a year, any of those can impact the entire Steam library's compatibility. They also do smaller updates sometimes 2-3 times per week usually targetting specific games and bugs, these land in Proton Experimental first and you can see the changelog for that here:

github.com

Changelog

Compatibility tool for Steam Play based on Wine and additional components - ValveSoftware/Proton

monx

Sep 30, 2020
how does one test his microSD to make sure it's not fake?

Last edited:

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
anyone try Path of Exile with the new controller support?

can it do 800/60?

Yep, it's fantastic, locked 800/60 with nice settings, dynamic res will kick in if things get a little crazy but 99% of the time it's gorgeous.

New controller support on PC is good, definitely can tell it's still beta with missing features but it works well overall, will need the trackpads for changing settings and you can't adjust bindings in game.

Adding map tabbing and flasks to the back buttons is amazing.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, it's fantastic, locked 800/60 with nice settings, dynamic res will kick in if things get a little crazy but 99% of the time it's gorgeous.

New controller support on PC is good, definitely can tell it's still beta with missing features but it works well overall, will need the trackpads for changing settings and you can't adjust bindings in game.

Oooh, I hadn't heard PoE had gotten controller support. I think I'll add it to my list!

monx

Sep 30, 2020
Well fuck. I shouldnt have formatted it with the Steam Deck...now im kinda screwed if I want to test it with h2testw

SpaceKangaroo

Oct 28, 2017
Do you own it on steam or the retail release?
The later works for me, but the music does not work for me, is it working for you? If so which Proton version did you Force?

Edit: of course the music works for you... I'm stupid 😝

Retail version of it, running 7.0-1. From what I remember there's a config.exe you need to run to select the correct audio driver maybe?

jj70

Oct 27, 2017
I'm following the not so very clear emudeck guide. I do not know where to put CEMU folder when extracted from the zip - could someone please help? I've installed the sd card version (the installer didn't keep all the rows log - the location scrolled up and then disappeared - and now I do not know where to put)...
edit: nevermind i foud it - but I do not see the emulationstation interface... mmmmh something is not working like it should, I think...

Last edited:

SpaceKangaroo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't seem to have that.
20220402220059_1.jpg

Oh! not sure on that then. Tested it again now to make sure no Proton updates broke it but seems fine!

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Breath of the Wild seems to work fairly well through Cemu. 720p and locked at 30 FPS for stability (with some minor graphics boosts). Very nice having the grip buttons for sprinting while moving camera. Only issue at the moment is that trying to resume from sleep mode seems to make the engine either go fast or slow afterwards.

PXL_20220402_205425707.jpg

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
I have windows on a micro sd. In rufus you can load the windows iso then click on standard installation and change it to windows to go. When I want to boot into windows I turn off the steam deck and hold vol down + power and then select the micro sd card as the boot option.

Thanks for that. I saw something where someone put Windows on the main drive cause of fear some game may do too much caching on the SD and cause it to fail. Im not familiar enough with that but i think id rather has both OS on the internal drive.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Sooo I tried the following games and:
  • Elden Ring (Verified): Doesn't seem to work? I get the EAC splash screen and then it's just a white screen, it never seems to actually get in-game
  • Dark Souls Remastered (Playable): Closes itself immediately after opening it.
  • Risk of Rain 2 (Verified): Works, but I'm a bit disappointed about the performance. I expected it to be able to hold close to 60 FPS for at least the first few levels. But on the first map, summoning the boss immediately made it drop to 30. That leads me to believe that it will get straight up unplayable very quickly as you get deep into a run. This would mean it performs worse than the Switch version.
I don't think I can do anything about RoR2 but any tips about the other two games?
Tried them on proton experimental? Trying games like Deaths Door and Lego With that have fixed loads of frame rate issues, sometimes doubling performance.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
can anyone try Trials Rising? hoping it runs despite being unsupported

awesome! thank you!!

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure this has been repeated ad nauseum, but mostly looking for MicroSD recommendations. I'm getting a 512, so I'm not sure I need a 1TB card off the bat. Currently looking for something that can be used with emulation, but could scale up if I need it. Does another 512 to compliment the built-in drive seem like enough? I'm even thinking of going lower on storage and then maybe looking into something bigger a month or two down the road if I really need it. At this time, I'm not sure that I'm going to be throwing a lot of AAA-like games on the system.

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't want to work, or just works poorly on Steam Deck? The Wiki doesn't show there being any issues (not that those are always reliable).
I think my old rip was corrupted at some point. Made a new one and now it works. However, the performance is between 20-40 fps in npc races and 50-60 in zone mode on the Deck. Not sure what I could do to improve performance further aside from adjusting the GPU clocks. The game also crashes every now and then even though I've got the game running stable on my desktop with the same settings. Not quite playable, in other words.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Monark doesn't work on Deck. It runs but 3D objects just do not display. Proton GE doesn't help unfortunately. Perhaps Protontricks is the answer but with the game being so niche there is no information on ProtonDB.

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
Anyone tried Trackmania Turbo? I hope it works fine because that game in a handheld would be dope.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Still thinking about buying Monster Hunter Rise just for playing on Deck, lol. Is it a flawless experience? Currently almost 50% @humble.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure this has been repeated ad nauseum, but mostly looking for MicroSD recommendations. I'm getting a 512, so I'm not sure I need a 1TB card off the bat. Currently looking for something that can be used with emulation, but could scale up if I need it. Does another 512 to compliment the built-in drive seem like enough? I'm even thinking of going lower on storage and then maybe looking into something bigger a month or two down the road if I really need it. At this time, I'm not sure that I'm going to be throwing a lot of AAA-like games on the system.

Looking for a recommendation too, Deck should be arriving tomorrow so would like to order one from Amazon today if possible.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Oooh, Ys VIII got added to the verified list, that's grand. I started a thread last year where I was going to play through the whole series on PC. VIII is my next one, but I took a break to play other things, and then started thinking, "Hmm... Steam Deck..?"

I don't have mine yet (fingers crossed for this month!). Anyone tried it?

Also, has anyone tried the MachineGames Wolfenstein games? Got talking about them in the Xbox OT and now have a hankering for some Nazi killin'. Kind of like the idea of playing them on the Deck when I get it.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
So how do I actually enable FSR? I thought I did in the OS settings, but Gamescope still tells me it is off. (I hit the "..." button and set the Scaling Filter on FSR) Did I do it correctly? Any idea why Gamescope does not recognize it?

nmkd

May 23, 2020
So how do I actually enable FSR? I thought I did in the OS settings, but Gamescope still tells me it is off. (I hit the "..." button and set the Scaling Filter on FSR) Did I do it correctly? Any idea why Gamescope does not recognize it?

You need to set your game to
1) a sub-native resolution
2) windowed mode

that way FSR can upscale it.

Oct 25, 2017
Still thinking about buying Monster Hunter Rise just for playing on Deck, lol. Is it a flawless experience? Currently almost 50% @humble.
Absolutely. Had zero issues with the game, in-fact it behaves better than it does on Windows. It takes like 10 seconds to quit the game on Windows while it's near-instant on Deck/desktop Linux. I've been having a blast so I'd say go for it!

Bennydiesel

Sep 2, 2019
Hey all. I fucked around with dual booting and messed up. I know, shame on me. I have windows 11 now but somehow formatted the steam os partition that I created with gpart. I split the drives into 2. If I want to delete everything and start over, do I just delete all the partitions and boot the steam os recovery? Or do I need to create those partitions first?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I need a recommendation on a good charger. My Macbook charger goes super slow, for whatever reason. I want a longer cable.

Or could the USB C cable I'm using not provide enough power for whatever reason?

nmkd

May 23, 2020
I need a recommendation on a good charger. My Macbook charger goes super slow, for whatever reason. I want a longer cable.

Or could the USB C cable I'm using not provide enough power for whatever reason?

Use any charger that supports at least 30W USB-C PD (Power Delivery).

45W+ is optimal but 30 is enough to charge while playing.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Any way to disable the downloading after starting the deck? Whatever it is downloading for almost every game installed. I think it's some kind of pre caching? I'd prefer to only do it when starting a certain game.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I think my old rip was corrupted at some point. Made a new one and now it works. However, the performance is between 20-40 fps in npc races and 50-60 in zone mode on the Deck. Not sure what I could do to improve performance further aside from adjusting the GPU clocks. The game also crashes every now and then even though I've got the game running stable on my desktop with the same settings. Not quite playable, in other words.

Too bad. Not that the Deck has any shortage of racers, but that would have been nice.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, Ys VIII got added to the verified list, that's grand. I started a thread last year where I was going to play through the whole series on PC. VIII is my next one, but I took a break to play other things, and then started thinking, "Hmm... Steam Deck..?"

I don't have mine yet (fingers crossed for this month!). Anyone tried it?

Also, has anyone tried the MachineGames Wolfenstein games? Got talking about them in the Xbox OT and now have a hankering for some Nazi killin'. Kind of like the idea of playing them on the Deck when I get it.
Wolfenstein games run really well on it, tried them earlier last month, pretty much a solid 60 on medium-high

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017

General rule is that anything Vulkan or OpenGL based is going to run like a dream on Deck. The only exception I can think of is Quake 2 RTX, the GPU isn't powerful enough for that. Otherwise RDR2, Doom Eternal, whatever you want if it's Vulkan or OpenGL it's probably going to run like a dream (on Linux at least where you don't have to deal with AMD's graphics drivers).

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Wolfenstein games run really well on it, tried them earlier last month, pretty much a solid 60 on medium-high

General rule is that anything Vulkan or OpenGL based is going to run like a dream on Deck. The only exception I can think of is Quake 2 RTX, the GPU isn't powerful enough for that. Otherwise RDR2, Doom Eternal, whatever you want if it's Vulkan or OpenGL it's probably going to run like a dream (on Linux at least where you don't have to deal with AMD's graphics drivers).

Thanks both. I figured they'd probably run really well, but good to hear confirmation.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone play owlboy?
It says deck verified and it has a linux version, but it doesn't load

Reddit
Owlboy .. it just didnt start ^^ I loaded Proton Experimental and it produced another error. No solution yet.
Steam
Just installed on my new deck and it wont run at all. That little green check lied to me!

I go from the steam logo to an "Unhandled exception" error dialog about not finding a method for setting display orientation....

Status
Not open for further replies.