• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, my Deck just arrived! Just as I'm supposed to start work for the day… yeah, sure I will :)

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
So I downloaded the itch app and seems you can only download native games (i.e. linux). To install windows games, you need to download the installer, run it through proton, and then add the game to steam. I hope we get an easy way to install them soonish, so many games to download.

Definitely can just install and run Windows games through the itch app on Linux over here - have you tried with multiple games? Does it just not give you the option? The feature rolled out into the app awhile ago, apparently.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
OH FUCK YEAH!

Eagerly awaiting some juicy new Phawx videos with the GPU drivers out now, super nice to BT and WiFi as well, should make windows stuff super easy now.

Sure we will start seeing some juicy performance videos soon!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, those drivers came out way faster than I was expecting.

Great to hear that there's a "dual boot wizard" coming eventually too.

Can't wait to start seeing some Windows game impressions. If the performance holds up OK, I can see myself subscribing to Gamepass again (and actually use it this time!).

OP
OP

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see the performance comparisons on SteamOS vs Windows. Windows has a lot of bloat that will hold the deck up and it is very easy to aboslutely ruin your battery life on laptops on it.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the legal issue holding up the Windows drivers wasn't anything major.

I can't wait to see what videos the Phawx will create around Windows on Steam Deck.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Mine arrived today which allowed me to answer the most important question of all:

img_3094byj54.jpg

Yes, Blood plays very well on the Steam Deck.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Great to hear that there's a "dual boot wizard" coming eventually too.

Was surprised to see they are doing a dual boot wizard tbh, absolutely amazing support from Valve so far, never expected they would go above and beyond to make dual booting with SteamOS and Windows super easy.

Can't fucking wait to dive in when my deck arrives tomorrow, don't let me down FedEx.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hoping I'm getting my Steam Deck by the end of the month (still in Q1). People have theirs now, is there any suggested Docks, think I'll want to hook mine up to a monitor/TV a lot.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Does suspending a game/putting the Deck into sleep mode properly pause the 'Hours Played' timer in your Steam library?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will be interesting to see the performance comparisons on SteamOS vs Windows. Windows has a lot of bloat that will hold the deck up and it is very easy to aboslutely ruin your battery life on laptops on it.

You're probably right, but I think there's also a legitimate desire to not want to worry about game-to-game compatibility.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So now that the drivers are starting to come out has anyone ventured into figuring out the Dual boot setup?

Would love to be able to pick between operating systems on startup

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
Not the actual OS, an image of it that acts as a launcher, which can be done and most likely will be

I feel like the best case scenario is probably just autorunning Steam in the new Big Picture Mode on boot when this next version of BPM is publicly available. Can't really imagine a partial image of SteamOS booting up Windows to run games and back; feels like you'd be adding seconds, or even minutes, to each game launch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone here is familiar with them, but Colored Controllers is now selling Deck Color Protects for the Deck! These are wraps you can put on the trackpads that give it a different texture & feel, I have used them in the past with the Steam Controller and I loved them.

So now that the drivers are starting to come out has anyone ventured into figuring out the Dual boot setup?

Would love to be able to pick between operating systems on startup
Currently unable to dual-boot as steam hasn't released the dual-boot installer.

Does suspending a game/putting the Deck into sleep mode properly pause the 'Hours Played' timer in your Steam library?

It does not.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to give some serious thought to running windows on the machine.

Certainly am not going to jump on it right away, spent last week getting things setup and organized the way I like and don't want to undo that just yet.

And I think I'd want steam on windows/big picture to be at a point where it is close to parity, and see some benchmarks.

Right now though, it isn't bothering me too much having to work around Proton.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the best case scenario is probably just autorunning Steam in the new Big Picture Mode on boot when this next version of BPM is publicly available. Can't really imagine a partial image of SteamOS booting up Windows to run games and back; feels like you'd be adding seconds, or even minutes, to each game launch.
Yeah I can see the new big picture being a good alternative on startup

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'd have to give some serious thought to running windows on the machine.

Certainly am not going to jump on it right away, spent last week getting things setup and organized the way I like and don't want to undo that just yet.

And I think I'd want steam on windows/big picture to be at a point where it is close to parity, and see some benchmarks.

Right now though, it isn't bothering me too much having to work around Proton.

Only way I would even consider it is dual boot and honestly, I'd rather not use the space.

From everything I'm seeing, I'll be able to live in Steam OS easily.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Fug, I worried about that. It's silly I guess but it's going to peeve the shit out of me to see my playtime creep up 8 hours just because I left a game suspended while I was at work inbetween my commutes.
Oh my bad I totally misread your post, It does pause your timer. Sorry about that, busy work day.

stemitchell

Nov 17, 2017
Thank you so much! The comparison to the vita dpad has me pumped. In regards to the face buttons, any issues with them not registering if you don't push hard enough or at an angle? It seems like modern Xbox controllers have this issue, so just curious about the deck.
You're welcome, I was moving around the house clicking many other devices buttons for comparison!

And no, the face buttons are very precise. Using the lightest of touches to initiate the 'click' (even though they are very quiet) registers every time.

I know what you mean about the Xbox pads, I have been through many (myself and 3 kids all use them, so you can imagine the pile of spares I have...) and the buttons certainly tend to fail and get a bit woolly over time. TIme will tell I suppose if the Deck's are any better and need swapping out, but at least we have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.