• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My current FFXIV obsession has me wanting to play the older mainline Final Fantasy games I never played/finished. Are any of the PC ports so horrible I should avoid them? They generally have positive ratings (aside from the FF VIII remaster for some reason), but I thought I'd double check.

Most all of the FF ports are perfectly playable in my experience, though they can have minor issues. The first two XIII games, for example, were pretty stuttery on my end. Check the forum discussions, typically if there's a problem it takes up 90% of the page.

FFVII is also immensely moddable, and there's a 4K texture pack for FFIX that has AI up-scaled versions of the backgrounds that generally look fantastic.

Also if you're obsessed with FFXIV I'd play FFIII first, thanks to all the references in the Crystal Tower raid series and beyond.

r3n4ud

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec
As others have mentioned, UnderMine is super good of you like those types of games

and if you're into platformers, Venture Kid is really fun and darn cheap!

I'd like to toss this gem out there as well

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a PCVR headset (or Quest + Link), Pavlov VR is on a good discount. It's basically Counter-Strike for VR, and very good!

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I knew nothing about the lore going into except that there were big-ass mechs stomping around and blowing each other to pieces.

This proved to be enough background for me to enjoy myself.
I didn't know anything about Battletech lore and I absolutely loved it.

Game fills you in on everything you need.

Easily my most recommended XCOM-like that isn't XCOM.
Cool thank you, I'll probably pick that up for sure then. Another question, is the DLC "post game" stuff or is it additional stuff I might want on a first playthrough?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Resonance of Fate, Yakuza 0 and Ys 8 are mine. Ys was still £28 but Nisa games never go down to bargain price

Oct 25, 2017

Sci-fi adventure game from the devs of 80 Days, based around decoding a dead language. The story is a compelling mystery with lots of player agency.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have thoughts on Battletech as someone who has zero knowledge of that actual universe, but loves tactics games and mechs? I'm worried the lore will be too heavy and daunting as someone who knows basically zero about it.
It's designed in part as an introduction to the universe. The plot of the campaign mode is straightforward and cleanly told, and they do plenty of onboarding. You'll be fine. Do it. Do it.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I just bought like 10 games, also here's my recommendation : )

Probably the best game from my home country besides Devotion, it's a sweet little horror game set in 1960s Taiwan during the white terror period.

Lost in Vivo is a horror FPS heavily inspired by Silent Hill series, and it's surprisingly great. Seriously give it a shot.

EDIT: Also don't forget to vote for the Steam Awards guys!

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There's never been a better time to buy Heaven's Vault

store.steampowered.com

Heaven's Vault on Steam

An archaeologist uncovers a lost history in an ancient space Nebula. Award-winning narrative adventure game with hieroglyphic language puzzles, from the creators of 80 DAYS.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Y'all do know there's a new Humble Choice bundle on... 3rd of January AFTER THE STEAM SALE ENDS right?
Better to buy close to the sale's end, unless it is a game whose sale is ending early.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Total War: Warhammer 2 is 66% off and with the latest update it's the best time ever to be playing the best game of all time.

Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if on sale as I own it already but

A SHORT HIKE
A SHORT HIKE
A SHORT HIKE

Should be bought by people! One of the best from this year.

It's in the Humble Trove if you're a subscriber.

Trails in the Sky at 50% off is a steal for the hours it offers up, definitely worth grabbing if you haven't gotten into this brilliant JRPG series yet

Same price on GOG if that's your thing as well !

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
store.steampowered.com

N++ (NPLUSPLUS) on Steam

N++ is a fast-paced, momentum-based platformer about darting around obstacles, narrowly evading enemies and collecting gold in a beautiful minimalist landscape.

I never see this game mentioned much at all. It's amazing and has a ridiculous amount of premade levels. I'm 99% sure you can browse user made levels too, but there's more than enough put in by the devs to last a very long time. Solo and co-op levels are included.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
PSA: You don't get any tokens if you buy games using existing Steam wallet funds.

(however you do lose tokens and can even go into the negatives if you refund a game you bought with those funds)

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Nioh: Complete Edition is finally on sale for 17.49. Been wanting to play this on PC and I check on every single sale and it's never on sale.

You won't escape me this time.

Last edited:

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
PSA: You don't get any tokens if you buy games using existing Steam wallet funds.

(however you do lose tokens and can even go into the negatives if you refund a game you bought with those funds)
Thats bullshit, I have 50€ on my account, why do this, to punish people who have sold steam cards?

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also if you're obsessed with FFXIV I'd play FFIII first, thanks to all the references in the Crystal Tower raid series and beyond.
That's actually the only one I've finished (played through it on DS when it came out). Playing through CT and seeing all the references is a big reason I wanted to play through the other games.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Which scratches the rogue-lite itch better, Hades or Risk of Rain 2?

Need one to tide me over until Iceborne comes to PC.

They're both great at what they do - Hades has perma-progression if you like that sort of thing (think Rogue Legacy). While RoR2 does let you unlock new starting abilities, and new items for your runs. RoR2 also does online co-op if you care for it.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
The Bug Butcher (fun PANG!-style arcade game with co-op) 3,19

Pang Adventures (fun Bug Butcher-style arcade game with co-op), 2,99

Dungeon Warfare (neat tower defence) 1,99

Scanner Sombre (OLED showpiece) 0,99

Super Mutant Alien Assault (fun, fast, co-op) 1,99

Worms Crazy Golf (exactly what the title says) 2,49

Pixeljunk Monsters 2 (patched and mostly fixed (camera etc.), co-op!) 4,49

Just on the Pang note, you can currently get it in a Fanatical bundle with a choice of 4 other games for $1.99. Some other well-received picks in the bundle include Giana Sisters, Wings of Vi, Eador Signal from Tolva, and a variety of games that range from "Maybe" to "Almost certainly not"

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Is Fell Seal worth it? I think I've seen it pop here a couple of times if im not mistaken. Been looking for a tactics rpg.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I haven't played Final Fantasy XV since launch on base PS4 and I kind of want to replay it now since I heard there's been many updates to make it a better game (I liked it then). Might bite at that $17.50 price especially since I have $10 in my account already.
The steam version still has some stutter problem. I bought it for $25 before and returned it after 1 hour of play time. Refer to other people complaining here(or any other threads):

I'm hoping the Microsoft store lowers the price later today.

Atelier Ryza isn't on sale either :(

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth paying $24 for the full version of Shadow of the Tomb Raider? I played and beat the previous 2 but the 2nd game was definitely the weaker game.

Also, is The Surge 2 still fully worth it at $30? Or should I spend my money on Ni-oh/Code Vein?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's actually the only one I've finished (played through it on DS when it came out). Playing through CT and seeing all the references is a big reason I wanted to play through the other games.

oh awesome. Unfortunately V and VI are probably the next most-referenced games in XIV and the PC versions of those games are real ugly without modding

Stupid question, but how are people embedding the sale links all fancy like?

Use the "Media" button and drop the Steam Store page URL in

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth paying $24 for the full version of Shadow of the Tomb Raider? I played and beat the previous 2 but the 2nd game was definitely the weaker game.

Why did you like the second one less? I think that might be a good gauge for whether you should A. get SotTR at all and B. get the DLC.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Why did you like the second one less? I think that might be a good gauge for whether you should A. get SotTR at all and B. get the DLC

I didn't like the story as much and it felt... I dunno... aimless maybe? It just felt like a weaker game when it came to story and characters.

Also, the bundle is cheaper than the game by itself.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
The steam version still has some stutter problem. I bought it for $25 before and returned it after 1 hour of play time. Refer to other people complaining here(or any other threads):

I'm hoping the Microsoft store lowers the price later today.

Atelier Ryza isn't on sale either :(

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will pick up Lightning Returns for free instead.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like the story as much and it felt... I dunno... aimless maybe? It just felt like a weaker game when it came to story and characters.

Also, the bundle is cheaper than the game by itself.

Ah, okay. While I haven't finished the story of SotTR yet, it seems about on par with the previous two? I personally didn't think the overarching stories of either of the previous ones were all that interesting. I do like characters of the third game more as well as the world itself. SotTR is less combat heavy than the previous two. Instead, there's more platforming, (mild) exploration and puzzle stuff. So if you're all about the combat in these games, maybe SotTR isn't a good fit. The DLC just adds more challenge tombs. They're very cool setpieces, but if you don't love that stuff, it might not be worth the extra cost. You could probably get the base game real cheap looking in trade threads, because it's in the Humble Monthly atm.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, okay. While I haven't finished the story of SotTR yet, it seems about on par with the previous two? I personally didn't think the overarching stories of either of the previous ones were all that interesting. I do like characters of the third game more as well as the world itself. SotTR is less combat heavy than the previous two. Instead, there's more platforming, (mild) exploration and puzzle stuff. So if you're all about the combat in these games, maybe SotTR isn't a good fit. The DLC just adds more challenge tombs. They're very cool setpieces, but if you don't love that stuff, it might not be worth the extra cost. You could probably get the base game real cheap looking in trade threads, because it's in the Humble Monthly atm.

Curious, does the 3rd game feel more stealth oriented than the previous ones?

And reiterating this for anyone:

Is The Surge 2 still fully worth it at $30? Or should I spend my money on Ni-oh/Code Vein?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Curious, does the 3rd game feel more stealth oriented than the previous ones?

You can still go guns a blazing, but yeah you have more stealth options than the previous games. One minus is that once you get spotted, it can be a pain to lose your enemies again. More often than not, you'll probably have to go loud once you're noticed. So in that sense, I wouldn't go as far as to call it fully stealth-focused, but it's a much more realistic option that it was before.

Edit: should also note that are scenarios where stealth isn't really an option. Like, sometimes you're dropped into segments where you're spotted from the start and need to fight your way out.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
You can still go guns a blazing, but yeah you have more stealth options than ever. One minus is that once you get spotted, it can be a pain to lose your enemies again. More often than not, you'll probably have to go loud once you're noticed.

Lame, but I do like stealth regardless, even if it's kind of dumb like that.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017

M&B-like set in modern-day, constant updates (a major update was released today) and it will get workshop support in the future. I've been playing it in the past couple of weeks, so feel free to ask anything.

So originally I saw the Jagged Alliance (one of my fave games ever) community talking up this game big, then I'd figure Id wait for more updates. Now I see its very M&Bish (which I also love).
How much strategy is involved vs going in and starting a fight or even talking things out? Are there unique characters or do you create them all?

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do FROM software games go on sale often or is this a special holiday sale?My new gaming PC is almost ready and i want to have these games mostly for 60fps but i don't plan on playing them right away(Already played them on PS4).Should i just wait for another sale in 2-3 months from now?

Oct 25, 2017

Also, is The Surge 2 still fully worth it at $30? Or should I spend my money on Ni-oh/Code Vein?

People regularly sell the keys for this game in the buy sell trade thread for $10 and under (SOTTR)

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
So originally I saw the Jagged Alliance (one of my fave games ever) community talking up this game big, then I'd figure Id wait for more updates. Now I see its very M&Bish (which I also love).
How much strategy is involved vs going in and starting a fight or even talking things out? Are there unique characters or do you create them all?

Which community, Bears Pit? and why are they into the game? I'm all curious now

edit - okay i can see why with the trailers. The AI doesn't look very promising tho

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Which community, Bears Pit? and why are they into the game? I'm all curious now

edit - okay i can see why with the trailers. The AI doesn't look very promising tho

Yeah it was Bears Pit. And also some people in the old forum and at the time ppl in Freeman's steam forum. But this was ages ago and I stopped following the games (as I am to do with early access). But it's been on my wishlist ever since