• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/2796070940830340422

Nominees for Game of the Year
  • PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  • MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • HITMAN™ 2
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Nominees for VR Game of the Year
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
  • VRChat
  • Beat Saber
  • Fallout 4 VR
  • SUPERHOT VR

Nominees for Labor of Love
  • Dota 2
  • GTA V
  • No Man's Sky
  • Path of Exile
  • Stardew Valley

Nominees for Best Environmen
  • The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt
  • Subnautica
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Far Cry 5
  • DARK SOULS™ III

Nominees for Better with Friends
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Siege
  • PAYDAY 2
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Overcooked! 2

Nominees for Best Alternate History
  • Wolfeinstein II: The New Colossus
  • Assassin's Creed® Odyssey
  • Hearts of Iron IV
  • Sid Meier's Civilization® VI
  • Fallout 4

Nominees for Most Fun with a Machine
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Rocket League
  • NieR:Automata
  • Factorio
  • Space Engineers

Nominees for Best Developer
  • CD PROJEKT RED
  • Ubisoft
  • Bethesda
  • Rockstar Games
  • Digital Extremes Ltd.
  • Square Enix
  • Capcom
  • Paradox Interactive
  • BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment
  • Klei

Notes on Best Developer category:
"Best Developer" proved to be a highly-contested category with a lot of close calls among the top nominees. As a result, we expanded the set of nominees to 10. In addition, we've excluded ourselves from this category. We appreciate the love you've shown us, but we want to honor the other awesome developers on Steam, so we have excluded Valve from the final tally.

these are games

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I usually don't like older games being nominated on this yearly awards, but oh well, it's Valve, who cares.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
  • No Man's Sky
It needs to happen. It's the game that just keeps on giving. 350+ hours played, so far. :)

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Wow at best developers. I voted SEGA cuz they gave us Yakuza and Valk 4 this year and their PC support has been great in general.

Square-Enix is cool too I guess. They did try to be pro-active with FFXV at least.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018

Rockstar Games

Lets nominate a developer who hates PC gaming, well done Valve. I'm sure Rockstar will be heartened enough to announce a PC version of RDR 2 any day now.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
All my personal nominees made the lists in every category, except for 'Better with Friends', which I said Star Trek: Bridge Crew for!

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Is SUPER HOT VR just going to get a nom every year for the rest of time? It came out like 3 years ago. Stupid.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG and AC on a goty list is pretty bad but they know how to make it up to me by putting Hitman 2 on there. I forgive them.

Bethesda on a best dev list after pulling their games off of steam is pretty hilarious though.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of shocked Warframe isn't a "Labor of Love" nominee? It sure as hell deserves it more than GTA V.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
I don't wanna sound "platform war"-y, but that list really reminded just how many of this year's big games were console exclusives. (or not on Steam ... *cough* Fortnite *cough*)

Also, didn't PUBG win a Steam Award last year? :/

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Rocket League
  • Factorio
  • Space Engineers

4lZMwto.jpg

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
My personal Favorites:

• PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS*
    * not played it myself, but had some hundred+ hours of fun watching different 2- or 4-man groups playing the game
  • Beat Saber*
    * don't have VR but Beat Saber is cool and was binge watching people play insane tracks.

• Path of Exile
    This game is just insane with every new league every 3 months.

Nominees for Best Environmen
    W3 is just beautiful and the weather is impressive (I love rainstorms and normal storms)

nothing in here what interests me

• Hearts of Iron IV
    Of course! HOI4 is just great

• Factorio
    There is no way in hell, that I would NOT shill for Factorio!

• Paradox Interactive
    They had some questionable decisions in the last 2 years, but they are still the best.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If the games are still played and have a big fanbase and new content, why not?

Yeah. Games can change quite a lot in a year, it's quite an outdated view of gaming to think a game from previous years can't be considered the best of the current year.

Fornite is technically a 2017 game - it'd be silly to exclude it from awarding it for this year.

but oh well, it's Valve, who cares.
Valve didn't nominate these games, the users did.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think the VR list is kinda hotter than the main list. I'm probably just hot for VR.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
What's sad about it? Or is this an "I don't like thing" post?
To be perfectly honest, imagine it's 2025 and you're looking back at that list. I'm not sure i'd go "Yeah, what a fantastic fucking year for gaming".
It really is a weird list.

Like, there's so many mentions of games that are a year old or even older when - even ignoring the fact that many AAA releases were indeed console exclusives this year - many smaller games simply don't show up here.

No Obra Dinn, Into The Breach, Dead Cells, Celeste, Guacamelee 2.

Instead we have "old" games like Fallout 4, Hearts of Iron, Nier Automata, Rocket League, GTA V, Dota 2 be prominently nominated. - and i don't blame the users who still enjoy these games or Valve who just collect the votes or make these categories.

But the end result is just a weird list that doesn't feel like "fuck yeah, 2018!" at all :/
It's like the 2018 Youtube Rewind of GOTY lists ;)

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Maybe it should be added to the OP that it wasn't Valve/Steam who nominated the games but the community during the last sale.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn, that Game of the Year list made me realize just how many of the high profile releases this year were console exclusive.

What year is it?

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of shocked Warframe isn't a "Labor of Love" nominee? It sure as hell deserves it more than GTA V.

I believe folks concentrated more on Digital Extremes netting the "Best Developer" category since they are one of the very few devs that actually listen to their customers and does not treat them like sacks of money.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My picks:

• PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  • MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • HITMAN™ 2
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey
I haven't played any of these. So I can't say.

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
  • VRChat
  • Beat Saber
  • Fallout 4 VR
  • SUPERHOT VR
Beat Saber by far. Some of the most fun I've had this year.

• Dota 2
  • GTA V
  • No Man's Sky
  • Path of Exile
  • Stardew Valley
This is a tough one between No Man's Sky and Stardew Valley. The NMS team could have easily taken their money and bounced, but they didn't. They are still updating the game. However, Stardew Valley was made by one guy, so I got to go with that.

Nominees for Best Environment
  • Subnautica
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Far Cry 5
  • DARK SOULS™ III
Subnautica is up there, but I got to give it to the Witcher.

• Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Siege
  • PAYDAY 2
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Overcooked! 2
You got to play comp with friends in CSGO.

• Wolfeinstein II: The New Colossus
  • Assassin's Creed® Odyssey
  • Hearts of Iron IV
  • Sid Meier's Civilization® VI
  • Fallout 4
I love HoI IV. I wish they were a bit faster about the DLC though.

• Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Rocket League
  • Factorio
  • Space Engineers
I got to go with RL here.

• CD PROJEKT RED
  • Ubisoft
  • Bethesda
  • Rockstar Games
  • Digital Extremes Ltd.
  • Square Enix
  • Capcom
  • Paradox Interactive
  • BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment
  • Klei
Paradox constantly pumps out quality games. The issue they have is DLC. At launch the games are good, but they are bare-bones most of the time and you need the DLC to make them great.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is GTA V a labor of love? Path of Exile better win that shit.

Also, what's the point in including a bunch of games that didn't come out this year? Like, what? CD Projekt Red's gonna win dev of the year for what? Thronebreaker?

Dunno how they're even on the list. Only game they developed this year wasn't released on Steam.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
To be perfectly honest, imagine it's 2025 and you're looking back at that list. I'm not sure i'd go "Yeah, what a fantastic fucking year for gaming".

Like, there's so many mentions of games that are a year old or even older when - even ignoring the fact that many AAA releases were indeed console exclusives this year - many smaller games simply don't show up here.

Instead we have "old" games like Fallout 4, Hearts of Iron, Nier Automata, Rocket League, GTA V, Dota 2 be prominently nominated. - and i don't blame the users who still enjoy these games or Valve who just collect the votes or make these categories.

But the end result is just a weird list that doesn't feel like "fuck yeah, 2018!" at all :/

Maybe 2018 just wasn't that great? I know for me personally it paled in comparison to 2017.

On the flipside, thanks to PC being a platform with mods I can go back to games like Fallout 4 and NieR Automata (which just got an awesome fanmade 4K texture pack) in 2018 and still have a blast. Likewise for live-service type games like DOTA 2 and Rainbow Six.

Don't really see the issue, personally.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe 2018 just wasn't that great? I know for me personally it paled in comparison to 2017.

On the flipside, thanks to PC being a platform with mods I can go back to games like Fallout 4 and NieR Automata (which just got an awesome fanmade 4K texture pack) in 2018 and still have a blast. Likewise for live-service type games like DOTA 2 and Rainbow Six.

Don't really see the issue, personally.

Well, if you think that 2018 wasn't that great, and this list properly reflects how unexciting it was, i guess we agree on the end result. Though i absolutely disagree on the underlying premise.

2018 had some fantastic games, just that many of them weren't released on Steam or aren't really appreciated by Steam's voting audience.
Which, again - is fine ... opinions and all.

It's just ... weird that such a big share of the "2018 Steam awards" are games that haven't even been released in 2018.

Oct 25, 2017

It's nominated by the public. Way more people will have played the nominated games. You'll have to wait until next year to see some of the other games you mentioned get a nod.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if you think that 2018 wasn't that great, and this list properly reflects how unexciting it was, i guess we agree on the end result. Though i absolutely disagree on the underlying premise.

2018 had some fantastic games, just that many of them weren't released on Steam or aren't really appreciated by Steam's voting audience.
Which, again - is fine ... opinions and all.

It's just ... weird that such a big share of the "2018 Steam awards" are games that haven't even been released in 2018.
If other places allowed users to vote for games from any year like this one did I think you'd get similar results for consoles too, a mix of new and old(er).

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's nominated by the public. Way more people will have played the nominated games. You'll have to wait until next year to see some of the other games you mentioned get a nod.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think any of those games will get a nod, because they are - both in production as well as appeal, pretty "indie".

If other places allowed users to vote for games from any year like this one did I think you'd get similar results for consoles too, a mix of new and old(er).

That's certainly (partly) true, but still, i strongly believe that - if there was a user curated, platform agnostic, GOTY list, you'd certainly get one that would be filled with a lot more titles released witin this year.

I'm a bit confused why i feel like i have to take this kind of weird platform-war-like stance, even though it's really not my intention, but i'm similarly confused by the replies downplaying the (imho obvious) advantage of non-steam storefronts with regards to the biggest / (arguably) best / most influential releases this year.

But maybe that's the point of the Steam awards - being a weird list of games that people (still) liked. The discrepancy to more "mainstream" GOTY lists just never felt this big, though.

Edit: Woopsa, yeah, i acknowledge the warning - i kinda felt it coming. Wasn't my intention. - Would it be acceptible to discuss this in a separate thread though? (Edit2: Whom am i kidding, i'm not gonna make a separate thread ...) I'll leave it be ...

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Games can change quite a lot in a year, it's quite an outdated view of gaming to think a game from previous years can't be considered the best of the current year.

Fornite is technically a 2017 game - it'd be silly to exclude it from awarding it for this year.

Fornite isn't on Steam, that's why it couldn't be nominated, not because it's a 2017 game.

IT
DOESN'T
WORK
THAT

Come on people, use the few neurons you have. There are 2015 games in the list. And 2016 games , and 2017 games. It other words, this isn't a 'best of 2018' list! The awards aren't limited to 2018 in the first place. Which yeah, it's weird, but what you gonna do.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Fornite isn't on Steam, that's why it couldn't be nominated, not because it's a 2017 game.

I'm very aware, I said nothing about Fortnite not being in these nominations. What I said about Fortnite was about awards in general, not the Steam one.

I was talking about the broad idea that older games should be excluded from yearly awards. I was using Fortnite as an example because it blew up for a reason this year, not last. That games can change significantly and excluding them from yearly awards doesn't make sense to me.

Read what I replied to.
I usually don't like older games being nominated on this yearly awards

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
If the games are still played and have a big fanbase and new content, why not?

Oh yeah, sorry about not explaining myself well, I'm ok with the "Labor of Love" award for such things.

Valve didn't nominate these games, the users did.

Valve place the rules for who we can vote. I find silly that a game like Dark Souls III can get away with an award in 2018, because of course is gonna wins cause the hardcore gamer can't stop treating Dark Souls like the holy grail of gaming when clearly it isn't. At least this awards have no cosmic significance. I don't even know why I'm getting so riled up by it, lol.