• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017

FTL: Faster Than Light. $2.49 (click the picture for the link.)

I will never not recommended this game. This is game where you start off having no idea what to do, become Picard to escape the rebels... And then it all goes down hill from there.

In my opinion this is my favourite rouge like game ever. The music, sounds and gameplay are perfect for the genre. It's 75% off and it's a bargain for this game

A wonderful, wonderful game. I lost my life to this for quite some time. It would be in definite consideration for my favourite game of all time, if I was to bother with such a thing.

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
Oooooh, I love stealth games. Don't know how I missed this one! Thanks for posting.
Don't forget the first game in the series as well. This is the second. The first was pretty darn good as far as stealth games go. I dug it.

Also: it makes me so happy to see so many SP games on here. Even if lootboxes, GAAS and macrotransactions kill AAA gaming as we know it, the indies will hopefully save we sane, "elderly" gamers.

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
header.jpg

It's based on Spelunky, but you are going up. This is a very methodical platformer roguelite. It's honestly one of my favorite games ever. It took me a whole year to be able to complete it, and it was SO worth it. Enjoyed every second with it.
And like every good roguelite there's also a ton of secrets I haven't figured out yet. Also, there are currently two chapters, the devs are working on the 3rd one. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be available for free when it's done. But don't fool yourself, the game is definitely a complete experience on it's current state.

It's honestly mindblowing how good it is and how unpopular it is. Give it a try if you are into roguelites.

It's a steal at $7.50.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396640/TowerClimb/

PS: PM me if you end up buying it. There is a very helpful and active small community of players on Discord.

Just a little story. This game sat on my backlog for months after I bought it. It was late at night I just felt like playing something quick so I decided to try a few roguelites I had on my library, I tried The Flame in the Flood, died. Decided to try something else. Ended up trying a handful of games before TowerClimb, none of which did much to grab my attention. As soon as I hit play on TowerClimb it was magical how quickly I connected with it. In 5 minutes I knew I would be sleeping late that day.

Last edited:

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know about any fun local multiplayer game recommendations? Can be two but preferably four or even more. We always want more for the dorm.
SF46Oov.jpg

Dynasty Feud is currently under 5 bucks! It's a platform fighter where each player plays as a "Dynasty" of 5 characters instead of just one. Each character in the Dynasty can only take one or two hits, after which your next character spawns until you run out, and the last Dynasty standing wins. It's surprisingly fun and there's 40 playable characters to mix and match! 45, if you pick up the $1 DLC that adds a Dynasty of horror characters.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I really appreciate these threads because they give me a lot of recommendations for my Steam Wishlist.

In fact, I purchased the following for a combined $12 because I can't help myself:

Crimson Clover
Doom & Destiny
Escape Goat
Strikey Sisters
Tales of Maj'Eyal

As you could probably tell, I'm into the indies.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
http://store.steampowered.com/app/302710/BlazeRush/
header.jpg

$2.50 for an excellent silly/fun Rock n' Racing style top-down arcade racer with weapons

http://store.steampowered.com/app/506870/Unexplored/
header.jpg

$8 and mentioned already, but this game is amazing. The final content update is coming soon. Seriously amazing dungeon crawler.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/293780/Crawl/
header.jpg

$7.50 Speaking of awesome dungeon crawlers this is the best couch co-op/competitive game I have ever played. Finally reached 1.0 and released earlier this year and has 15+hours of unlocking content/monsters/traps/gear etc. for subsequent playthroughs, not to mention the time to master each monster and dickery. Balance has been up and down throughout development, but as of release it feels incredibly balanced.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/473770/BallisticNG/
header.jpg

$5 Have you been missing WipEout? This is literally WipEout. It has workshop support and people have dropped in all the classic WipEout ships as well as tons of other unique and custom stuff. You can even load in any mp3's you want. Feels really close to WipEout XL/2097 in feel.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/318600/The_Flame_in_the_Flood/
header.jpg

$7.50 I have been struggling to like Survival games - so many meters to manage and a grind to get anything done. This game has seemed to have the genre click for me as it is almost arcade-like in the approach to rogue elements and meter management. Recent update fixed all of the qualms release reviews had about UI and item management. Very stylistic and evokes this southern frontier nightmare that sits well with decaying meters. Makes me want to give The Long Dark another shot after bouncing RIGHT OFF.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/350910/

Its a beat-um up game with simple controls and uses the similar combo system of Capcom's VS series games. It's made in France by devs from the FCG scene over there I think. A lot of the characters in this game are also from the FCG scene in France digitized ala Mortal Kombat. I am a huge beat-um fan and I consider this game is up there with the best imo. Its simple but the combat system is what sets it apart from all other beat-um ups. It's also goofy as all hell and I can never keep a straight face when I'm playing it XD.Here a taste of some stuff you can do in the game:

https://streamable.com/e6y5y

https://streamable.com/xga3m

https://streamable.com/w3ps6

kionedrik

Oct 27, 2017
Here are some easy to miss indie gems that I believe weren't mentioned yet and are absolutely worth a look:

Knytt Underground: A combat-less metroidvania / exploration platformer with a unique art-style and thought provoking story. It's also a surprisingly long, but not bloated, game.
The Shrouded Isle: A neat mix of evidence finding detective games and management strategy.
Circuits: A really chill mix of puzzles and music.
Finding Teddy: A surreal point & click game.
Divide by Sheep: One of the best puzzle games in the store imho.
1000 Amps: An amazing puzzle platformer with interconnected "levels" and some metroid-like mechanics.
Chariot: An absolute must-have for anyone looking for a local co-op experience. It can be played solo but some puzzles can only be beat with 2 players.
Full Bore: Perhaps the best exploration platformer in the store. A truly unique mix of silly characters and story with some hardcore puzzles and platforming.
Tricky Towers: A personal favorite. A fun pick-up-and-play multiplayer arcade game that never gets old.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
OT but can anyone explain to me why dark souls 1 is NEVER on sale, not just on steam?

Fudo Myo

Oct 30, 2017
Towerfall
Blazerush (Death race mode)
Duck Game
Toybox Turbos (With the fastest cars)
Tricky Towers
Rocket League
SpeedRunners

These all support 4 players

May I suggest that we start a separate thread for 4-player couch co-op? There's a ton. I was running a gaming night for a while, and so went out of my way to collect them. I have a big list...

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I recommend Drakensang and Drakensang: The River of Time. Before the Kickstarter revolution, it was the closest thing to classics like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. It's a very good party-based RPG using The Dark Eye rule system.

Kyo555

Oct 29, 2017
I recommend Drakensang and Drakensang: The River of Time. Before the Kickstarter revolution, it was the closest thing to classics like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. It's a very good party-based RPG using The Dark Eye rule system.

Holy crap, I completely missed their Steam release!. Was it on Greenlight?

If you're from Germany, you might want to invest a couple of Euros more (6 to be precise) to get the retail Platinum Edition for 14,99€, because the second game doesn't came with the original language on Steam.
Also, if you get a German version of the first one, either digital or retail, you get a free The Dark Eye rulebook as a pdf.

Last edited:

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
I am really digging streets of rogue. It's a good short time killer, I love those kind of games.
Which brings me to asking this. Is westerado a good short time killer?

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Suprised the Fata Morgana fanclub hasn't shown up yet, so I guess I'll be the first.

The House in Fata Morgana (45% off, $13.74)

Are you interested in trying the visual novel genre, but are turned off by boring moeblob characters, clichéd anime tropes, and too many awful sex scenes? Want to try something more mature that doesn't have any of the stuff that gives VNs a bad rap? Give my GOTY 2016 a go; this is the lowest price it's been so far :)

Soundtrack samples (seriously, give these a listen):
The House in Fata Morgana
The March of Time
Ciao Carina
Cicio

The House in Fata Morgana is one of the best narrative experiences I've had in any medium. It doesn't have any gameplay other than the occasional choice and bad ending, but the art and (especially) the soundtrack elevate it above 'just' a book. It nails the use of audio and visual cues to make emotional moments hit even harder (and you will experience plenty of those.) The story also deals commendably with several themes that I wasn't expecting - themes that other games I've played use for shock value or comedy get handled seriously and respectfully here. The story takes a while to get going - the first two chapters are rather slow - but once it gets going, the payoff is immense.

At the time I made this post, Fata Morgana has 242 positive reviews and only 3 negative ones (and 2 of those didn't even play past the first couple of chapters.) It's also worth noting that although only 11 people voted for it in last year's GOTY awards back on GAF, 10 of those people put it at #1 on their lists. Seriously, it's good, and easily one of the best hidden gems on Steam.

Well, I bought this this afternoon. I just had a chance to 'play it' and I got to finish chapter 1
Wow, so far so good. Didn't expect the white haired girl, who mysteriously never gave us her name, to be the half sister! And that creepy scene with the sister and the wig, I'm impressed so far.

And if you say that ch1 and 2 are slow, I can't imagine how good the rest must be :o

I played it this year. If I had played it last year it would have also been my GOTY. It's a 11/10 experience and a game I will never forget.

Yes

YES

Same for me. It would be my game of the year if it had come out in 2017 and I feel it's a VN everyone should play thanks to the themes it tackles and how it does it.

I've been interested in The House in Fata Morgana for a long time, but never got around to grabbing it until you guys mentioned it was on sale and wrote these posts.

Thankfully you did.

I played maybe an hour or so last night (just past someone picking a rose at night) and I am riveted.

I can barely express how captivating it already is. The creeping terror lurking at the periphery saturates every moment in foreboding dread. I'm aching so badly for a happy ending that will certainly never arrive. But that's how invested I am and how susceptible they've made me to the heartbreak sure to come.

I really wish I didn't work today. I would burn through it in one sitting if I had the luxury.

Last edited:

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May I suggest that we start a separate thread for 4-player couch co-op? There's a ton. I was running a gaming night for a while, and so went out of my way to collect them. I have a big list...

Post them! I am currently only playing Stick Fight and Tricky Tower in Local Coop. Before that we played Overcooked, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Raymen Legends (the latter is not very Indie, I know).

Also, I highly recommend checking out Storage Inc. a highly hectical but incredibly fun couch coop game which was one of the inspirations for Overcooked!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/549390/Storage_Inc_2/

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I got Trails of Cold Steel because of your post, really, really fun game so far. I enjoy the combat system and the overall tone of the story, thanks for the recommendation. Any other JRPG like this on the steam store? I might check Tales of Berseria as well.
Oh that's great to hear you're enjoying it! The second game is releasing on steam early 2018 too.
I do not really know the JRPG catalog of Steam inside out (mostly came here to shill Kiseki/trails). But Tales of Berseria is the next game i'm going to play following very good comments from likeminded friends about it. (and $20 is a steal!). If you do not have it yet NieR: Automata is my GOTY. Grandia 2 also is on sale, another urgent game on my backlog and i think you can get Steam codes for the FF games on Square's own store.

Also make sure to post in the Trails OT if you want! Allround good for questions, discussion, whatever :)

SecretEnding

Oct 28, 2017
GWffBdm.png

This gritty, ulta-violent beat em up is a ton of fun, and while it had a brief moment in the spotlight, it was unjustly dismissed by many as a Hotline Miami ripoff. While it does borrow heavily from the aesthetic and overall vibe of HM, in terms of gameplay the two are worlds apart. This is a classic beatemup in the vein of Streets of Rage or, for a more modern point of comparison, Double Dragon Neon.

I found it to be fairly difficult and sometimes so frustrating I couldn't play it for very long periods of time. But for the most part, it's never felt unfair. I think I'm on the final boss, not sure though. In any case I'm stuck. But I just love the presentation of this game so much, from the grungy psuedosoviet aesthetic, to the gnarly science fiction aspects of the story. And honestly the gameplay is fairly deep as well, and while it can get repetitive, it almost doesn't matter because finally getting past a part you've been stuck on is so satisfying.

Anyone who's a fan of or has fond memories of playing Streets of Rage owes it to themselves to check this game out. I wish this genre had the same appeal to indie developers that 2D platformers and metroidvanias do.

Leland Palmer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GWffBdm.png

This gritty, ulta-violent beat em up is a ton of fun, and while it had a brief moment in the spotlight, it was unjustly dismissed by many as a Hotline Miami ripoff. While it does borrow heavily from the aesthetic and overall vibe of HM, in terms of gameplay the two are worlds apart. This is a classic beatemup in the vein of Streets of Rage or, for a more modern point of comparison, Double Dragon Neon.

I found it to be fairly difficult and sometimes so frustrating I couldn't play it for very long periods of time. But for the most part, it's never felt unfair. I think I'm on the final boss, not sure though. In any case I'm stuck. But I just love the presentation of this game so much, from the grungy psuedosoviet aesthetic, to the gnarly science fiction aspects of the story. And honestly the gameplay is fairly deep as well, and while it can get repetitive, it almost doesn't matter because finally getting past a part you've been stuck on is so satisfying.

Anyone who's a fan of or has fond memories of playing Streets of Rage owes it to themselves to check this game out. I wish this genre had the same appeal to indie developers that 2D platformers and metroidvanias do.
This game has a pretty good soundtrack too.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't played ANY of these games yet, but I have bought a LOT of niche stuff this sale at amazing prizes most have never heard of. I'll highlight a few that have good reception, are probably mostly unknown, and look very interesting to me (in alphabetical order):

Unfortunately not much in horror games/walking simulators as I own most of those already. Hope this is useful to some.

Anomie - $4.99

This is a first-time endeavor for a no-name (as of yet) studio, it seems the game was Kickstarted and the game's been reviewing well. Reviews claim it does some very interesting, unusual, and experimental things for a visual novel, and it's better than it looks and has quite an ending. Curious about this one.
ss_65b83a8b6f6b44ef66f4c8f06979d899e67d048f.600x338.jpg
ss_aa519a8e1fb5c311f43003447ede3b5f86fa4722.600x338.jpg

Crime Solver's Bundle - $5.23 for all three, $1.99-$2.49 individually.

Three games in a series about murder, point'n'clicks, they have a nice looking style to them and seem to have gotten little attention so all three are relatively cheap individually and looking like a bargain together.
ss_9cb3abbb1b9c22884cc8ce34029eec1492deec1b.600x338.jpg
ss_edfe0a7e4b6cad2cd1098a9c7899c987dabe4778.600x338.jpg

Dungeons and Geese - $0.51

This game seems to surprise a lot of people, many mention it was a lot better than they were expecting and though rough in some areas it has its own spirit and you can tell both this was not made by professionals but they were making something they were passionate about and put time to make it into something worth playing and a bit unusual. It's a sidescrolling thing, but for the cheap price and comments I needed to check it out.
ss_1b0f4437a61c0a7563f1877c9975a2b330dd763d.600x338.jpg
ss_3811c173ecce575f1bcd58226347e40a59e06aa0.600x338.jpg

Eatwell - $0.99

It's a rogue-like game described as a mixture of Pac-Man, Binding of Isaac, and Downwell. It looks interesting to me, and a bit strange.
ss_e15528056ffb385e412967a6fc07de2e6c30a907.600x338.jpg
ss_51a30fc35db737dfb42f154a24a6fc632cb5aa97.600x338.jpg

Flood of Light - $2.99

Wow this game has a beautiful style and music. It sounds like this one misses the mark a bit on the story aspect going, but the puzzles are good (it's a puzzle platformer) and it has a very pretty look and sound, which leads to an immersive atmosphere.
ss_1a1d7c3a0793ceca410e6f7cd0344083a1ee0b56.600x338.jpg
ss_f3590cf3db4e2c24fbcf32f2568f806d6ad4d97e.600x338.jpg

Illusoria - $0.99

Has a great gruesome style and some people seem to love it, some seem to think it's a bit floaty or complaining about broken controller support, but looks interesting enough to me.
ss_c0cfaaf35b6a099bfa40f08852089f7379616667.600x338.jpg
ss_dbed9b973fb6da7fbefdf82ab2203dc056902833.600x338.jpg

In Extremix - $2.49

A psychedelic bullet hell schmup which is both a love letter to the genre and goes in very unusual directions with differently stylized stages. I kind of love the idea and trailer for it, and it's reviewing well.
ss_35f4952c33ea5e8e6a00bd0d417d8065c96389f7.600x338.jpg
ss_4b9b4eeb321c83fd466f16118f98a32d0ea8910a.600x338.jpg

The Low Road- $5.24

A spy comedy game with a unique style. Seems people like the characters, world, style, and puzzles, there's some weird comedic elements of the game, but I kind of adore what I've seen so far.
ss_4d5ab148a751339b6d9d6e18b82f0829bd80cc52.600x338.jpg
ss_b5644e3c2d5dd2777180f3633ba7c3a4b416711a.600x338.jpg

MilkMaid of the Milky Way - $2.99

It's an atmospheric point'n'click about a woman who lives in the mountains alone who gets by making milk products in the 1920s. One night however her cows begin to act up and aliens arrive. Apparently the game is quite beautiful, and it certainly seems like it from what I've seen, though not entirely too long. I'm entranced though.
ss_c358a2e4e029eb136e0c44fd0b36ef55320be648.600x338.jpg
ss_baa4e905067c84d2d75585a600a20a13d9fa750a.600x338.jpg

Perso - $3.49

A surprisingly atmospheric looking block-sliding game. Apparently puzzles are good, and by looking at the footage it looks really atmospheric with some great flourishes and sound design. I can dig it.
ss_4821064c44f4b6c071d024def1c4671b3b5f762e.600x338.jpg
ss_e870567df31bd3d41952260859c68040ed0f9f55.600x338.jpg

Please Knock On My Door - $9.74

This game has been recommended to me by a friend who adores it, and it catches my interest. Reviews say it has a story unlike anything they've seen in a game and many say it's a hard game to go through since it gets way too close to home. All I know is I like the look and narration, and hear this game tackles depression (apparently very, very well).
ss_787d2eec52e6baf7517183d451dc5b4c6b71d0ef.600x338.jpg
ss_8562b0682043154f5762c8e75ad918f41b137481.600x338.jpg

Recursed - $3.99

I've seen this game in some past community hidden gems threads, just picked it up now. It's a puzzle platform that's apparently mind-bending, and really good going by what some Reset Era peeps have said in the past.
ss_4a8bda8795d87e8eb6f4ec47c37d781390328dc2.600x338.jpg
ss_3f9406a04b2be61eec1ffcfd60dbe439dd1d561e.600x338.jpg

Spectrum - $1.69

Apparently a fairly unique platformer with very fluid movement which some describe as "Sonic like but you hover rather than run". One touch I also really liked mentioned in reviews is it's a 2D game but the background is 3D, and you can see upcoming parts of the level/obstacles in the background that leads-up to them or parts you've completed trailing away from them.
ss_84812596ae5bac98ac90d17322eece682dbe8190.600x338.jpg
ss_7d0cbe50599e4c9d1db5cb777e0fb55e7163ad0a.600x338.jpg

Trackless - $7.49

This game is a fairly recent title which seems it got swept up with the crowd. It has countless positive reviews, many describing it as part relaxing and part intriguing, apparently walking simulator meets text adventure in a uniquely stylized sci-fi world.
ss_7c00cc4ed061eb962da335e8edb391c6a8dd8778.600x338.jpg
ss_ba63948e30e92a3585bbd5e81850a9fae1db9ea5.600x338.jpg

---

There's a 40 image limit per post on Reset Era, so going to carry this over to one more post with some games I've picked up this sale.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dusk Golem thanks for posting!
I found of few of those on my own but love picking up stuff like this in my steam sale hauls.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Resumed from my above post:

Dujanah - $6.74

A surreal and psychedelic trippy game. Whole game was made in claymation, and then became a really bizarre RPG type thing. Lots of love for it from those who've played it.
ss_23db8bab505d6d9951cb0b0832c77b342fae4e4e.600x338.jpg
ss_4157869dfa47f203da04dd3456b3437ccb1ad28b.600x338.jpg

Diluvion - $6.99

To be honest, I've been sold on this game ever since I saw a few of the things that lurk deep in the sea. It's a apparently a full 360 movement submarine game with survival elements ala FTL, with some light visual novel/role-playing scenes and choices.
ss_c41679de7806eb7657abcc95c135bdcbfa085539.600x338.jpg
ss_6f56eb9a4d0ba47e4350c1deb3aca3d628d37e9c.600x338.jpg
source.gif

Umineko When They Cry - Questions Arc - $14.99

When I was a bit younger, I saw the anime for this and loved it, then heard the anime was apparently shit to most people because the visual novel was so much better. It's a murder mystery of a family re-uniting after so long when foul play goes afoot, dealing some with the concepts of strong beliefs being reality and suspects being people close to you. The game is made by the same peeps that made Higurashi, so yeah there's some messed-up shit too. This is the first half of the game (the 'Questions' Arc), the second half ('Answers' arc) was just released on Steam a few weeks ago. I hear both 'arcs' are quite lengthy though (and the playtimes people have in the reviews for this question arc are 50-100 hours it seems). Know it also includes 'updated' art as well as the original sloppy art as options, I'll post a picture of both below.
ss_fd3d8dcd209d25090acb58007d55fac2e390f586.600x338.jpg
ss_54b240c365bcdb69f31b3dda81c7c7b423f76f33.600x338.jpg

----------

Now here's a few games I picked up off Steam as they were cheaper there:

We Need To Go Deeper - $7.49 or $6.74 if have Humble Monthly

Explore the deep seas either alone or in online co-op with 2-4 other players. Apparently a LOT of fun with friends, with's kind of a survival game with all sorts of things lurking in the depths. Updated regularly as well, here it's very unique and many describe it as one of the best co-op games ever that allows you to laugh, scream, yell at, and work with your friends as you all manage a submarine (inside and out), drive it, collect riches, and survive the underwater horrors.
ss_860a83501ee580d38e507d83088b33e279645881.600x338.jpg
ss_cfbbfeadf11f0aa2d653b051fe2f2adff79344bb.600x338.jpg

Hover - $12.74 (on GamersGate... No worry, no relation to the dumb movement if you've never heard of the site, the site existed way before all of that).

Jet Set Radio meets Mirror's Edge which also has online co-op. I was sold on it.
ss_eedf68103ea15f0228f6150bf8a4c586da3431f1.600x338.jpg
ss_66e378c611b278187d2fd2badc4daf7668da51f3.600x338.jpg

------

Hope this all helps some!

I did buy a lot more this sale, but the rest is more my specific taste, IE things that look and sound like they'll be a bit rougher around the edges but I think I personally will enjoy them more. May post some of these later, but I want to see what I think first before I recommend so might be best just to do similar titles I already like rather than what I picked up.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
http://store.steampowered.com/app/559210/Rakuen/

I bought Rakuen in this Steam sale, along with a bunch of other stuff.

After running into a few duds among my purchases (and refunding them immediately), I ended up testing Rakuen as well just to make sure it wasn't dreck.

Ive been playing it for six straight hours now. This game is crazy good!

It's a game created by Laura Shigihara of Plants Vs. Zombies fame - it plays like an RPG (it was made in RPG Maker XP... yeah, I know, don't write it off just yet) but it has no combat, just puzzles and story. It's about a young boy who's laid up in the hospital, and gains the ability to travel to an alternate, fantastical reality via a mysterious book called Rakuen. Without going into too much detail, entering the storybook reality helps him solve a bunch of problems in the real world.

It's been absolutely incredible thus far. The soundtrack is amazing, the dialogue is sharply written, and for the first time in a long time I found myself enthralled by a JRPG-style story, refreshing after all the open world stuff I've played these pst few years. This is one of my favorite titles of 2017 full stop, in the top ten easily.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just got Stein's Gate because someone said this about that. Guess I should get this too?? :(

Yep, you really should. There's a demo out there too. (as well as a content advisory)

For what it's worth, S;G has been extremely well-known (and well-regarded) since its launch in, what? 2011? It has an audience probably a hundred times larger than Fata's.

Fata Morgana launched mid-2016, and the vast majority who played it are hardcore VN fans and are singing its praises as the greatest VN nevertheless. Just saying ;P

AbysmallyTall

Oct 26, 2017
Annapolis, MD, USA
Oh that's great to hear you're enjoying it! The second game is releasing on steam early 2018 too.

I hate to be overly negative on a game you recommended (Legends of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel for those who don't want to dig backwards), but I wanted to provide a dissenting opinion here. I found Rean to be an insufferable nitwit who was somehow teflon when it came to consequences. The story and world building was ... I just don't see why other people liked it at all. And the boss battles devolve into Laura one hit killing almost everything.

On paper, I want to love this game. I can see what they were aiming for, and things improve slightly in the second entry. However, we decided to stop playing it midway through part 2 because we realized it wasn't ever going to get good.

I don't want to dissuade others from giving it a go. I've heard from other people who had similar reactions to me that the other Legends of trilogies are better written, so I'm hoping that pans out for me.

I'd definitely back your recommend of Tales of Berseria. It's great and tied with my other favorite Tales entry (Vesperia).

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, you really should. There's a demo out there too. (as well as a content advisory)

For what it's worth, S;G has been extremely well-known (and well-regarded) since its launch in, what? 2011? It has an audience probably a hundred times larger than Fata's.

Fata Morgana launched mid-2016, and the vast majority who played it are hardcore VN fans and are singing its praises as the greatest VN nevertheless. Just saying ;P

I am SO into Fata Morgana right now and I've always been interested in Steins;Gate. I watched a few minutes of the anime and was super turned off. Is the VN as corny and goofy? If it is, does it at least pull it off better?

Also, should I get S;G on iOS, PC, Vita? iOS would be the easiest for me but it's $25 there and I don't want to make that jump if it doesn't hold up on that platform. I read that there's a JAST physical version that is... somehow better than the Steam version? I'm certainly not gonna buy a physical version of this game, so can you at least let me know what I'd be missing?

Kyo555

Oct 29, 2017
I am SO into Fata Morgana right now and I've always been interested in Steins;Gate. I watched a few minutes of the anime and was super turned off. Is the VN as corny and goofy? If it is, does it at least pull it off better?

Also, should I get S;G on iOS, PC, Vita? iOS would be the easiest for me but it's $25 there and I don't want to make that jump if it doesn't hold up on that platform. I read that there's a JAST physical version that is... somehow better than the Steam version? I'm certainly not gonna buy a physical version of this game, so can you at least let me know what I'd be missing?

It is like Japanese Big Bang Theory at times, but unlike the show I really dig it, because it's embracing nerdyness rather than making fun of it. The comedic segments makes the heavy parts hit even harder, but be warned that the game also has fanservice at times. Also choosing different routes is one of the most obfuscated systems in any VN I read, so you might want to look up a spoilerfree guide.

I prefer my VNs on mobile or handheld and got a nice CE for Vita.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Didn't watch the anime but fans are pretty fond of it, AFAIK

The VN is goofy too, especially at the beginning, but it does get dramatic about... a third of the way into it, I'd say.

I'd recommend Vita, the port is superb. Didn't try iOS, and as I recall, the Steam port did have some issue with the resolution of its sprites and stuff, although I think there could be a fan patch to fix that

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
It is like Japanese Big Bang Theory at times, but unlike the show I really dig it, because it's embracing nerdyness rather than making fun of it. The comedic segments makes the heavy parts hit even harder, but be warned that the game also has fanservice at times. Also choosing different routes is one of the most obfuscated systems in any VN I read, so you might want to look up a spoilerfree guide.

I prefer my VNs on mobile or handheld and got a nice CE for Vita.

Would it be of any benefit to have the physical controls of the Vita as opposed to the touch input of iOS?

I love Vita but I haven't played anything on it in a while and I know it would be a lot more convenient for me to just pull it up on my phone whenever I feel like it, as opposed to keeping my Vita charged and pulling it out of my backpack. However, I do find myself more easily distracted playing games on iOS since I keep popping out to check notifications and stuff...

Hmm. If it were $10 on each I wouldn't stress it, but when the iOS version is $25 and the Vita version is $20 I know I won't be double dipping on another version.

Edit: Never mind. Just took the plunge on iOS so I can play it during lulls at work, hahaha.

Didn't watch the anime but fans are pretty fond of it, AFAIK

The VN is goofy too, especially at the beginning, but it does get dramatic about... a third of the way into it, I'd say.

I'd recommend Vita, the port is superb. Didn't try iOS, and as I recall, the Steam port did have some issue with the resolution of its sprites and stuff, although I think there could be a fan patch to fix that

Ah, didn't see your post, sorry!

Based on what you're saying, I'm certain I'd prefer it on Vita. But I ended up grabbing it on iOS just because that seems like the platform where I'm most likely to actually finish it.

I hope this isn't like when I recently bought Danganronpa 1 + 2 Reload on PS4 and regretted the fuck out of it. I so badly wanted to play those games on Vita five minutes in, even moreso after beating the first game and getting burnt out on the second early on.

I love them, but sitting on a couch and staring at a TV is far from the ideal experience for a game like that.

One more question while I've got you guys:

Are the Chaos; games recommended? I know Steins;Gate 0 is a direct sequel (or prequel?) to S;G, but they're also part of the larger "Science & Adventure Series" according to Google?

Last edited:

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
Because it's worth every penny. ;)
Like many other games :P
The point is that:
-while i liked demon's souls i didn't finish it for a pair of annoying bosses(the 2 beasts on a bridge and another one) that i wasn't able to beat and i'm not sure that dark souls would be any different
-i want to play on the gpd win so i'm not sure it will run well enough
-to be honest i don't have the patience anymore to play a game like that but i want to try it anyway, but only for cheap.
Dark souls 2 and 3 are very often on sale, dark souls 2 sale price is half of DS1, i get that DS2 is inferior but what the hell.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I may need to get Fata Morgana, I love the art and am reading some posts about horror.

Dude, I am only 2(ish) hours in and I am having trouble discussing this game without hyperbole. The art, the music, the stellar writing is so immediately captivating. I'm already insanely invested in the characters and their relationships and the inevitable tragedy that awaits (that is made clear from the very beginning, it's not a spoiler). I've had multiple alerts on my Apple Watch about my heart rate raising above 120bpm as I click through what is essentially just a multimedia story.

If it ended within the next hour I'd say it was worth the $14 bucks. But I'm pretty sure it's much longer and if it continues at this quality throughout, it's worth far more.

Just squeezed in half an hour on my lunch break at work and it flew by in a second, I was so drawn in.

AbysmallyTall

Oct 26, 2017
Annapolis, MD, USA
- Bot Vice: http://store.steampowered.com/app/491040/Bot_Vice/ (One of the best arcade gallery shooters I've played. And it's only a buck).
- Strikey Sisters: http://store.steampowered.com/app/643880/Strikey_Sisters/ (the followup to Bot Vice, also only a buck. Definitely recommended)
- Revolver 360 Re:actor: http://store.steampowered.com/app/313400/REVOLVER360_REACTOR/ (shmup where you can rotate incoming bullet plane $3 for one one of my favorite shmups)
- Risk of Rain: http://store.steampowered.com/app/248820/Risk_of_Rain/ (a flawed but very fun roguelike, with an amazing soundtrack, $2.50)
- Late Shift: http://store.steampowered.com/app/584980/Late_Shift/ (FMV game of a heist gone wrong, very enjoyable)
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice: http://store.steampowered.com/app/414340/Hellblade_Senuas_Sacrifice/ (wasn't sure if this counts as a hidden gem, but Ninja Theory deftly navigated the space between indie and AAA and is definitely worth playing, make sure to watch the documentary that unlocks at the end)
- Furi: http://store.steampowered.com/app/423230/Furi/ (hands down one of the best boss rush games in existence)
- Olympia Rising: http://store.steampowered.com/app/295910/Olympia_Rising/ (beautiful 2d action game with a combat mechanic reminiscent of the ps2 Nightshade game)
- Shikondo: http://store.steampowered.com/app/720150/Shikhondo__Soul_Eater/ (i don't generally go for the girl as spaceship shmups, but beyond a handful of "why is there boob right now?" moments, this shmup has beautiful art and plays just as well)

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, I am only 2(ish) hours in and I am having trouble discussing this game without hyperbole. The art, the music, the stellar writing is so immediately captivating. I'm already insanely invested in the characters and their relationships and the inevitable tragedy that awaits (that is made clear from the very beginning, it's not a spoiler). I've had multiple alerts on my Apple Watch about my heart rate raising above 120bpm as I click through what is essentially just a multimedia story.

If it ended within the next hour I'd say it was worth the $14 bucks. But I'm pretty sure it's much longer and if it continues at this quality throughout, it's worth far more.

Just squeezed in half an hour on my lunch break at work and it flew by in a second, I was so drawn in.
I think I'll trust you on this one. I don't normally care for VN but the art alone seems worth it. I will grab it when I get home.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017

My favorite game this year. Rain World is a platformer/metroidvania with an amazing setting. The world is HUGE and very intriguing, and it simulates an ecosystem where you're pretty low on the food chain. Can be hard and frustrating sometimes, but that's the nature of it (literally).

This one is a little weird and hard to describe, but surely it is worth a look. The level design is one of the best I've ever seen. Great little game!

This is a classic B game. The physics are wonky, the graphics aren't top notch but aren't offensive either (it is a remaster of a 2008 game that no one played), there are some bugs and areas that really deserve some polishing, but it is a game full of character and really really REALLY fun if you're into offroad racing. The scale of the tracks is INSANE!

Fun little game where you're in charge of a racing team. If you're into racing and management games, this one is for you.

Very decent flight simulator, with great graphics and controls.

This one is a weird wonky funny car fighting mess. Another B game that deserved some polishing. But If you're into car combat, give it a try.

This one is one of the best games I've played in my life. If you're into first person puzzlers and phylosophy, you'll gonna love it!

Last edited:

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I just have to mention The Last Door (Season 1 and 2):

It's a Lovecraft inspired point-and-click adventure with (deliberately) low-res graphics. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but for some reason the game comes together in a magical way and I was hooked from beginning to end. The puzzles have a good balance to them and the pacing is great.
For me, it was like the graphics allowed you to fill in the details with your own imagination, this along with the lack of voice acting which honestly works to its advantage - and I say that as someone who usually has a hard time playing these kind of games without voice acting nowadays. The game has this bleak and uneasy atmosphere to it, like there's an unseen evil constantly lurking beneath the surface.
And of course, this is all wrapped in a fascinating story that always keeps you wanting to dive deeper into the dark mysteries. And an amazing soundtrack. You can buy Season 1+2 for a total sum of $5 and I highly recommend it.