• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a betting man, but I bet the roll out of htis now is to cut whatever google's going to announce on tuesday (almost certainly game streaming via chromecast/chrome browser) at the knees, keeping people from leaving the ecosystem by allowing people already within to do the same thing. That being said, I bet a proper streaming only option is coming down the line with a subscription fee.
I don't think that's the same thing, as Steam's solution requires you to already own a gaming-grade PC, while Google seems to be primarily targeting console players.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Here's the Steam Link Anywhere announcement/thread from Valve: https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/3362406825533023360/

Steam Link beta build 688
Changes in build 688:
  • Added support for Steam Link Anywhere, now in early beta
Steam Link Anywhere allows you to stream games to your Steam Link from any computer running Steam, as long as your computer has good upload speed and your Steam Link device has a good network connection.

To use Steam Link Anywhere:
  1. Update your Steam Client to the beta build, dated March 13 or newer
  2. Add a computer and select "Other Computer"
  3. Follow the pairing instructions on screen
This service is in early beta, and we appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the service.

--- The Beta Android App was updated as well: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.valvesoftware.steamlink

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh hey. Local gaming PC hardware just got another line of security at the dawn of the streaming revolution.

And ironically, it's because of streaming being implemented in the most friendly way possible. You have the heater at home. (that's what I'm going to call local hardware in the streaming future. Heaters.)

So you bought your own heater, and you pay for the electricity. You already paid for your game. You pay for your internet and your mobile. You've already paid for everything. Now you can use it all to stream for no extra charge and you maintain ownership over some stuff.

This is beautiful. Good for everybody.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hm, will have to try out if my connection is good enough for the remote play stuff. Would be awesome to be able to play my PC games at my boyfriend's.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Think they might be smiling while rolling around in cash. Those data caps about to be put to work.

Oh I think the outrage of "every tech company in the world just rolled out easy, "affordable" video games on the fly....but your provider won't let you use them because of an arbitrary cash grab system implemented when they thought youtube and netflix were going to be the peak of data usage" would cause them to at least sweat a little bit. Even Verizon doesn't want that heat. The best we can hope for is that it becomes a major bullet point in the argument of competition between the telcoms...but considering we have major metropolitain cities that don't even have fiber right now...we'll see.

Like, keep in mind, playing AssCreeOy on project stream, as good of an experience as it was, used 9gb/hr. The stream was a fairly constant 20-25mbit connection. Good game streaming uses quite a bit of data.

I don't think that's the same thing, as Steam's solution requires you to already own a gaming-grade PC, while Google seems to be primarily targeting console players.

Steam's immediately solution in this is keeping people who are already using steam from moving to project stream or xStream, which have the potential of playing games on any platform. It's a smart move and limits people going elsewhere for the luster of new features. But that being said, I ABSOLUTELY believe that further down the road, Steam will have a streaming option that does not require a powered up PC for a monthly fee. They're just in a unique position where they don't have to lead with it.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suppose we can argue this makes Steam the video game equivilant to something like Plex, except it's also attached to a method to legally buy video games.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool news. This is q great way to do streaming.

The network API stuff is also great and I'm interested in learning more about the dedicated server stuff for third part devs.

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oh hey. Local gaming PC hardware just got another line of security at the dawn of the streaming revolution.

And ironically, it's because of streaming being implemented in the most friendly way possible. You have the heater at home. (that's what I'm going to call local hardware in the streaming future. Heaters.)

So you bought your own heater, and you pay for the electricity. You already paid for your game. You pay for your internet and your mobile. You've already paid for everything. Now you can use it all to stream for no extra charge and you maintain ownership over some stuff.

Love it. The one gamebreaker for me would be no mods/trainers with subbing to a streaming service. Project Stream proved to me that I would never go that route.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, the possibilities... streaming games to my phone while mooching off of work wifi... :P

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how this will compare to existing solutions? Steam Link has better image quality for me but Parsec is far more stable. Might finally switch if network steam link is similar to Parsec

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how well it would work. It ran like absolute dogshit the last time I tried it. Certainly on Wifi.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how well it would work. It ran like absolute dogshit the last time I tried it. Certainly on Wifi.
Yeah ultimately this is the thing right?

I have a friend who uses steam link during parties so we can play party games in the living room, and any time we try something with twitch responses like Super Chicken Horse, the delay is PAINFUL. It doesn't help that there are a ton of phones on his network and they're using spotify and there's probably streaming video happening somewhere in the house, but yeah...streaming is really really rough when you're not dedicating your entire network to it.

So now we're about to add hops and telcom congestion to that. It'll be interesting to see how this stuff goes...

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Good to see that they keep on improving SteamLink, thought it feel like they have a long way to go to make it as interesting as Parsec.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Except many home/residential connections have paltry upload speeds compared to data centers where Google and Microsoft will be running their streaming services out of.

Still, you're right in that this won't carry a monthly fee with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming games from your home PC over the internet seems like it'll be a shitty experience. We're barely getting usable service out of fully cloud gaming services like PSNow, and Shadow and they have beefy dedicated datacenters with dedicated circuits and guarantee'd upload/download speeds.

Oct 25, 2017
It probably isn't feasible, but if someday Valve decides to tackle cloud streaming like google/microsoft, I hope they keep the openess of PCGaming (that's undoubtedly one of the reasons for their success) in mind, one thing I can think of is supporting Steam Workshop mods. This would differentiate them from they're competitors and make their streaming service a little bit more attractive to PC gamers.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Except many home/residential connections have paltry upload speeds compared to data centers where Google and Microsoft will be running their streaming services out of.

Still, you're right in that this won't carry a monthly fee with it.

That's a good point. That's a huge difference from paid streaming.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When is Valve going to add streaming apps to Xbox, PS4 and Switch?

They just need to re-work their app. Yeah, its annoying, but they need to figure it out.
I vaguely remember that they did, months ago, even removed the option of buying stuff while using the app. But Apple still won't accept it for some reason.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
:: thisismyshockedface ::

4M8xKE8.png

Oct 28, 2017
Streaming games from your home PC over the internet seems like it'll be a shitty experience. We're barely getting usable service out of fully cloud gaming services like PSNow, and Shadow and they have beefy dedicated datacenters with dedicated circuits and guarantee'd upload/download speeds.

There might be cases when streaming from your home PC to another system in the same geographic area could be advantageous (due to Interconnection), especially if one is using the same ISP.
This would remove a portion of requirement for streaming services availability only in certain specific locations.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Valve jumping in to preempt Google. Obviously without the same kind of latency/server power as Project Stream though.

Still, this is cool. Now we have three platforms that let you remote play anywhere (Steam, PS Remote Play, Google). The more the better I say!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony has a streaming app that lets you stream from your Playstation to an app. I don't think that would cost any money, right? I wonder how well that works. I think it was locked to the Xperia phones, though. Could be wrong.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony has a streaming app that lets you stream from your Playstation to an app. I don't think that would cost any money, right? I wonder how well that works. I think it was locked to the Xperia phones, though. Could be wrong.

They have apps for windows/Mac and more recently iOS. The android app at the moment is Xperia only.

If Sony could get a iOS app past Apple then I guess valve should be able to. But I guess you have to block out purchasing options.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Valve jumping in to preempt Google. Obviously without the same kind of latency/server power as Project Stream though.

Still, this is cool. Now we have three platforms that let you remote play anywhere (Steam, PS Remote Play, Google). The more the better I say!

Why would this be your first conclusion?
IIRC, Gabe Newell suggested this being a goal since 2013 all the way back when he discussed Valve / Steam's direction with The Verge.
Steam Link has been building up as software solution for years now

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Why would this be your first conclusion?
IIRC, Gabe Newell suggested this being a goal since 2013 all the way back when he discussed Valve / Steam's direction with The Verge.
Steam Link has been building up as software solution for years now
It's just convenient timing is all :). Not like Valve weren't working on it before hand though.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They have apps for windows/Mac and more recently iOS. The android app at the moment is Xperia only.

If Sony could get a iOS app past Apple then I guess valve should be able to. But I guess you have to block out purchasing options.

If it's no additional charge, I should give them some credit, too. That's cool to be able to stream the games you already own for free.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So the streaming wars are getting everyone doing innovative things. I wonder what google has up it's slieve that has the whole industry spooked into opening everything up. We had Sony with the iOS, Xbox stuff and now steam. The landscape is most definitely changing.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If it's no additional charge, I should give them some credit, too. That's cool to be able to stream the games you already own for free.

Oh it's free. It's off your own machine, to your own device, using your own bandwidth... nobody should charge extra for that. It's purely a value add to ease engagement that costs them nothing (except the engineering time), and easier engagement benefits them by presumably growing engagement and thus content sales etc.

Now if you start offering services where a user can remote play off a cloud machine, then charging is fair game, for the rental of the hardware and the bandwidth.

Would not be totally surprised to see Valve roll their own Shadow-like cloud streaming service where they could make some money with the right model.

But from your own PC it should always be free.