• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly surprised that more people have 16GB than 8GB. Admittedly I haven't been following the survey at all so not sure if it has been this way for a while?

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
I'm perfectly happy at 1080p with my 1650 maxq and honestly I can play everything without many troubles. Maybe I'll go for Nvidia's 4050 in an external gpu enclosure in the future.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
This is why I don't think NVIDIA's pricing of the 3xxx series is related to AMD. They know they didn't sell as much as they wanted with the 2xxx series, so they couldn't increase the prices even when the jump in performance is massive. They are being "aggressive" with the pricing due to the poor performance of the 2xxx series.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Pretty weak performance for AMD gpus as well it seems, but that wasn't unexpected unfortunately.

That's at least partially related to the crypto boom. The 4xx/5xx cards were great for mining, especially for their price. So those cards were just not on the shelf for about a year.

Nvidia are really going to have to offer something compelling for the 3060 otherwise it's going to be a very slow rollout. Although, the new gen of consoles will help push adoption as well

I think the 3060 is going to push the 2060 down in price even lower, and the 2060 will replace eventually replace the 1060 at the top.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
That certainly puts things into perspective. Makes you wonder why we are not seeing more complaints about badly optimized games online or if the mayority just sticks with popular, less demanding games mostly.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of shows if Ray Tracing is to become more mainstream on PC then the prices of gpu's capable of doing it at decent resolution and frame rate needs to come way done.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this makes the thread for mid range PC posted in the past few days even more fun.
Overwhelming majority gaming at 1080p or lower, but that thread certainly made it look otherwise :P

I'm good with a 144hz 1080p monitor while playing on PC. Not going to invest a ton of cash in new displays and GPU just yet. Probably at least 2 years out for me.
When i was researching for my new computer months ago, you swear everyone was rocking threadrippers with dual 2080tis. Sometimes you need to get out of the enthusiast realm to see the real lay of the land

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Not even. Most people play at 1080p lol. You don't need much more than high end pascal to keep hitting 60fps at that resolution. People will probably get ssds tho.
People on 1050 / 1060 will not upgrade to 1080/1080ti this doesn't make sense.

They will get 3060/3050 hence next gen will push people to RTX

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
That chart shows why AMD merely matching the performance of Nvidia's 30 series isn't going to work out for them. Nvidia is so far ahead on value added software features that I'm not sure AMD will ever catch up.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I'm upgrading (if order RNG on September 17th is on my side haha) from a 1060 6GB to 3080. I went from 1080p 60Hz monitor to 21:9 1440p 120Hz so yeah, I kind of need more juice.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
My 1070 has held up beautifully with me being able to play at the setting I want. 3000 series is legit the first I've felt like upgrading.

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I don't think NVIDIA's pricing of the 3xxx series is related to AMD. They know they didn't sell as much as they wanted with the 2xxx series, so they couldn't increase the prices even when the jump in performance is massive. They are being "aggressive" with the pricing due to the poor performance of the 2xxx series.

There's tech adoption to push as well. Ray tracing and DLSS are aces up Nvidia's sleeve. I imagine they want to get as many people onto that tech as quickly as possible.

My card is on there - a 1660ti. Surprised how high on the list it is too as I don't see many users mention it. It's a good card. If it wasn't for Flight Simulator I'd be more inclined to stay the course a bit longer.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Crazy to me that 1080p is still the norm.

Well just look at the cards on top. They're all cards targetted for 1080p. 1080p monitors are pretty damn cheap too. Even 144hz 1080p monitors are affordable. 1440/4k look better but the requirements (and price) sky rocket when you target them.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
GTX 1060 was one of those perfect value sweet spot cards. A card of that quality in the RTX 3000 range would do a lot to finally take raytracing mainstream.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Not surprised... I have a 1080ti and Nvidia gave me zero reason to go out spend big money on a RTX 2080ti...

RTX 3090.... Maybe, as always wait for the benchmarks.... But DLSS is a very compelling additional factor, which should be taken into account.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
This just shows that hardware enthusiast sites, forums, YouTube channels and such are only a small part of overall PC audience.

It also shows crap values of both Nvidia and AMD offerings really over last 2-3 years.

Personally I have a 1080Ti which is a great card considering how long I have had it. I am tempted by a 3080 due to Cyberpunk and MS Flight Simulator as well as some newer racing games. However, I am still sporting a 3440x1440 monitor with max refresh of 60hz, so I really should jut wait :P.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've been quite happy with my 1060 these last few years and had no real reason to go with a 20 series at all especially at the price vs performance cost they had. But now I have a better monitor and have a new rig on the way and am super excited to upgrade to a 3080 this year at the FE price. Assuming my F5 game is right on the 17th that is.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I currently feel no need to upgrade my GTX 960 to be honest. Maybe I'll upgrade this Christmas purely to play some VT stuff and do faster video editing.

Oct 27, 2017
This just shows that hardware enthusiast sites, forums, YouTube channels and such are only a small part of overall PC audience.

I feel like Steam itself is a good reminder of this.

Spend 10 minutes scrolling through the community content for a lot of games and marvel at how many of them clearly aren't running on the latest cards. I saw a Titanfall 2 screenshot on Steam this weekend that looked like an N64 demake.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
People are celebrating 3000 series while it has same pricing as 2000 series. For average consumer it isn't something to look forward to either.

That's been a talking point, but it's not really true. Nvidia had the bullshit price of 499 for the 2070, but it was a mythical price. The FE was 599. Which was the outrage. It wasn't much better than the 1080, which you could have bought 2 years earlier, for the same price, if you'd wanted that performance. Which is what was so outrageous. Literally paying the same price as a card you could have purchased 2 years ago.

The 3070 FE is 100 dollars cheaper than the 2070FE and unlike the 2070, actually gives a huge upgrade in performance vs the 1070. 2070 and the entire lineup was just shit tier value. Price hikes and limp dick performance gains.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just realized how badly the RX 5xxx series bombed. I can't imagine the 6xxx series will do any better.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
That chart shows why AMD merely matching the performance of Nvidia's 30 series isn't going to work out for them. Nvidia is so far ahead on value added software features that I'm not sure AMD will ever catch up.

AMD hasn't been trying to catch nvidia seriously for years, why this is pushed as a narrative is beyond me.

They would need a top end gpu that nvidia can't displace
They would need drivers not to suck, it's almost been 15 years since they gave a crap like they once did
They would need feature parity.

They only care about making some profit on gpus. They make more money on selling good cpus than gpus will ever allow them.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Nvidia needs some good sub $250 budget gpus again. Turing wasn't much of an upgrade in that range and lacked features that the RTX cards had. The 3050 / 3060 should hopefully fix that.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy to me that 1080p is still the norm.

Aren't most people with PCs using them at a desk or via a laptop? Do you need 4k when the screen is 15-21 inches? Seems like at that size, you're better off sticking with 1080p and cranking the settings up as high as your setup allows while still getting a decent framerate.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Same, i aint planning on going above 1080p anytime soon
There's no point. I have a 2080 super and I can just increase the quality of the visuals IN 1080 vs just getting the 4k. I played Avengers beta in 4k on Xbox and in 1080p at launch on pc and it looks better on pc on (basically) max settings

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 2xxx series gave no reason to change from my 1xxx, it wasn't enough for 4k 60fps all the time and I'm not going to bother to go not native res.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the 20XX cards will become dominant after the 30XX cards arrive? A lot of people likely buy second hand cards.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't most people with PCs using them at a desk or via a laptop? Do you need 4k when the screen is 15-21 inches? Seems like at that size, you're better off sticking with 1080p and cranking the settings up as high as your setup allows while still getting a decent framerate.

With viewing distance PC resolution is much more important than on a TV.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
This is why I laugh when PCMR like to say pc gaming is basically a 2080 at 4k lol and that's the common pc strength.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I'm still at 1080p. But as pointed out, this is exactly where you need the 4K. People sitting at a distant couch are getting placebo effect and it's totally wasted. Okay, that's a little strong. They're getting HDR and much better aliasing. It's the better aliasing you're going to notice. Which is something and real. But detail resolution from that distance... nope. The human eye is the weakest link in this situation.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Shows me I can be happy with my 970 for a while longer :)

At 1080p, I have only recently been running into games where I even need to care about settings instead of just hitting max. But I've been saving some high-spec games like Control and Doom Eternal for an upgrade, and I feel like over the next couple years I'll really need it.

I actually have two 970s but I took one out because it wasn't worth the hassles of SLI anymore (also the card seems to be on its way out). But if it was still supported in any games, I feel like I'd still have more than enough power for the time being.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is why I laugh when PCMR like to say pc gaming is basically a 2080 at 4k lol and that's the common pc strength.

The most common PC is probably something closer to an i5 4xxx, GTX 1060, 16GB ram and with a cheapo 1080p monitor. I have a similar PC and it still runs most games at 1080p 60fps depending on the settings, and can play esports titles at higher frame rates. For someone that isn't chasing the newest technology and just wants to play games on PC, it's still perfectly usable.

For MMO's, strategy or esports titles it's perfectly fine. Little reason to upgrade it. I know it surprises people (including me), but most PC gamers get a gaming PC to play games. They're not going to spend $500 on upgrades because the frame rate dropped to 40fps.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rocking a RX580 at 1080p/60 with 16gb of ram though I do have a 3600X so I'm a bit above average in that regard.

contemplating the move to big boy stuff like the 3070/3080 and a 1440p monitor but I like the 24" size so might just stick with 1080p with high refresh rate. Then I don't need to go higher end.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The most common PC is probably something closer to an i5 4xxx, GTX 1060, 16GB ram and with a cheapo 1080p monitor. I have a similar PC and it still runs most games at 1080p 60fps depending on the settings, and can play esports titles at higher frame rates. For someone that isn't chasing the newest technology and just wants to play games on PC, it's still perfectly usable.

I'm guessing even that's above average. When you combine the regular & Ti models, the GTX 1050 is even more common than the GTX 1060 according to the Steam chart (12.33% vs 10.75%) so I'd imagine the most common PC that people play games on has a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti with 8GB of system RAM.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I remember being in the 2% of people still having 1680x1050 monitor, at some point :D

Everyone talks about supercomputing at 4k, and almost 10% of people plays on a 1366x768 screen.

Last edited:

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
At 1080p, I have only recently been running into games where I even need to care about settings instead of just hitting max. But I've been saving some high-spec games like Control and Doom Eternal for an upgrade, and I feel like over the next couple years I'll really need it.

I actually have two 970s but I took one out because it wasn't worth the hassles of SLI anymore (also the card seems to be on its way out). But if it was still supported in any games, I feel like I'd still have more than enough power for the time being.
Yeah, at 1080p.

I also have an i7, ssd and 16gb of ram so it runs everything I want to play well.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
20XX was a really weak upgrade from the previous generation. I only bought one because I was running a GTX660 and had to upgrade. DLSS and ray tracing will come in handy over the following years, but it certainly feels like we've been beta testers.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
This tells me almost nothing if I don't know how the 1000 cards did over the 900 cards in a similiar time frame.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019

For MMO's, strategy or esports titles it's perfectly fine. Little reason to upgrade it. I know it surprises people (including me), but most PC gamers get a gaming PC to play games. They're not going to spend $500 on upgrades because the frame rate dropped to 40fps.
Oh I agree, I dislike that pc gaming has this idea of being high end expensive equipment when something like a 1060 does 99% of the job at great resolutions, frame rate and settings. Sure not all bells and whistles but can offer s more stable performance than consoles.
I think more would be into pc gaming if they realised a £600 pc will last 3 or so years quite well and still offer better visuals and performance than current gen consoles, let alone the larger library and customisation options.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This kind of thread show how much of a bubble these forums are, most people don't care about 4k and don't have money to invest on GPUs

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
The prices really have gotten ridiculous, and remain so with the 3000-series - sure, they're a better value next to the 2000 cards, but the 2000 cards offered truly godawful value for money - so I'm really not surprised.

When the 3070 - which costs £200+ more than the equivalent 900-series card did at launch - is being lauded as fantastic value for money, it's easy to see why most people have kinda lost the ability to keep up with modern GPU pricing--I know I can't anymore. It's not like folks have gotten much richer over the last six years.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
My 1060 6gb with i7 7700 saw me through the last few years just fine. And that's with making it push 1440p at 21:9 for the last little while. Been a great little card. That said I'll be grabbing the 3080 in a couple of months. Will feel like a major step up for sure.