• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I've liked all the burgers from them that I have tried.

But every time the fries are straight garbage from the ass.

And the menu makes you order a burger with fries. Let's stop pretending it's going to happen. The only enjoyment is covering them in ketchup.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
SnS is ass. Just go to a local greasy diner instead. You're gonna get the same menu but better food.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Frisco Melt
Cheese fries
Side-by-side banana/strawberry milkshake

It's the best order you can make at SnS and it's fucking good. If you don't get the cheese fries don't bother getting the fries at all.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
They used to be so good, but they had a rapid decline in quality over the past few years.

It's genuinely painful for me.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Frisco Melt is great but the fries are insta-cold even if you eat inside the restaurant.
Fries suck, chicken anything sucks, burgers are above average, shakes are great.
Shoestring fries can fuck right off
I hate how thin the fries are. I have to eat them with a fork.
I think some part of the problem is just how bad the fries are. It's really hard to get excited about any fast food place that has bad fries (Wendy's, Burger King, Chick Fil-A, etc). A burger alone is not filling enough so you want to order a combo meal. But what's the point in a combo meal if you know the fries will be bad? It just feels like throwing away money on trash. I don't think McDonald's has the best entrees, but I keep going back there just because their sandwiches are always paired with really good fries.

zerocypher

Oct 27, 2017
Frisco melts while drunk were amazing. Frisco melts while sober were good but then you regret all the calories. I forgot how the shakes were but am curious now.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how the shakes were but am curious now.
It's hard to fuck a milkshake since they're just pure dairy and sugar and even a bad one is going to still be pretty satisfying. It's just that the recent trend of competitors that use frozen custard as a base make much more interesting and exciting shakes.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Shoestring fries are garbage tier potatoes. Cold before you even get the plate. The rest of the food is fine and the shakes are good I guess.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chicken tenders range from eh to super delicious. Chili is usually pretty great. Fries are too cold usually lol. I like it when I want some chili

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Waffle House is a pretty superior option for drunken late-night eats, though a syrup-covered waffle is probably going to exacerbate your hangover due to the sugar content. If you're actually drinking a Steak 'n Shake milkshake at 3AM though, that's probably worse.
Waffle House is awful. And lol, I don't drink milkshakes in the middle of the night. Back before I quit red meat, though, a nice, greasy Royale Cheeseburger with fried egg always set me up well for the next day.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible, yeah.

Went there once. Wife ordered a burger with avocado. Think it was called an avocado burger... not like she asked for it as an add-on. She gets it and there's no avocado on it. So she asks what's up and they say, "oh, we didn't have any."
She got something else after that, but putting aside that entire strange exchange, the burgers were weak-ass trash.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Steak n' Shake is great. Especially after a few hours at the local college bars. Milkshakes are always good, but it's kind of hard to mess those up. $4 menu was clutch.

Fries were always crispy and warm too.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco Melts and Chilli are both pretty great. Their pepper sauce is good to--can't remember what it's actually called though.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
It's hard to fuck a milkshake since they're just pure dairy and sugar and even a bad one is going to still be pretty satisfying. It's just that the recent trend of competitors that use frozen custard as a base make much more interesting and exciting shakes.
My biggest issue with their shakes is that sometimes it takes a millennium for them to get it to you.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's quite a few in my area and I have no idea why. Always see a line around them though, so I guess someone likes them. I'd rather go to Cookout if I'm in a milkshake type of mood tbh

Oct 26, 2017
$4 menu, Royals cheeseburger and chili five way are good. Steak and Shake sucks cause they always seem to take 20 god damn minutes to get you your food

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue with their shakes is that sometimes it takes a millennium for them to get it to you.
I assume that's just because they are chronically understaffed, and whenever somebody orders a shake some line cook or server has to drop what they are doing and make a milkshake.

Always see a line around them though, so I guess someone likes them.
They always have long drive-thru lines, but I don't know if that is because they are really popular or just because service is always interminably slow.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
SnS's quality has gone down considerably over the last decade. The fries were amazing when the staff could get them to your table within seconds of them coming up.

A shame, when places were carving a niche as a higher end burger joint SnS has been inching towards lower end fast food

As it stands, the chili is great, the melts are great, I even like a double steakburger. But cold food far too often.

A shame, SnS at 5-6am with my infant daughter was my easy button as a dad to let mom sleep. After bar crowd had cleared out and the staff loved seeing a baby, so it was a win win.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I've had it a couple of times and both were disappointing. I'd rather eat McDonalds tbh.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I assume that's just because they are chronically understaffed, and whenever somebody orders a shake some line cook or server has to drop what they are doing and make a milkshake.
Probably, but it can really ruin a meal if that's all you wanted to drink. Now a days, if i want one, I order it to go as we place our food order.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It's the ideal spot for a 2am milkshake, and the burgers are fine. The fries are terrible, but no worse than In N Out, which fills a similar niche.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
There's one near where I live that closed down nearly two years ago and still no one has taken over the building: half of the signage has been torn off by vandals. I've tried going to a number of S&S but none of them ever felt clean inside.

Also always didn't like the fact that, for a place with "steak" in their name, that they didn't serve cheesesteaks.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Garlic Burger is the shit. Cease this blasphemy at once.

I've never met a shoestring fry worth a damn though, at any level of restaurant.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The one near me is really good. Only been twice. Once pre-pandemic, one Grubhub delivery. The shakes are stellar, the burgers about on par with Five Guys (which means good), and the fries merely OK.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Fries are trash.
Standard steak burgers are ok.
Specialty burgers are pretty good.
Shakes are the highlight.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Late night steak n shake runs where you go bother whichever of your friends is covering the night shift was basically the default thing to do in high school. Haven't been to one in almost 20 years now.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The frisco burger and shakes are good. Disappointed that it seems like the one here in the student union got rid of the chicken sandwiches

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Steak 'n Shake is trash all around. Bad charburgers, even worse fries, and diabetes shakes that are mostly whatever. The only benefit is that they are usually open 24/7, but if there's a Waffle House anywhere near by, you'll have a better time there.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Freddy's legit has the best burgers of all the chains. The fries are not my personal favorites, but their curds are great.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
20 years ago Steak and Shake was good, not great but good.

10 years ago Steak and Shake was OK, especially at 3am.

Now Steak and Shake is awful at any time, day or night. I'll go to anything else, even a gas station.

But, the best thing about Steak and Shake is that no matter what it is or how busy it is you have to wait 30 minutes for your McDonald's tier food.

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
there are 4 I think in my my town, 2 of them stay open 24hrs. All of them used to before the pandemic. It's cheap as fuck mediocre at best food. I remember 15-20 yrs ago the service and food used to considerably better. Shakes are syrupy and awful. That being said sometimes I get a burger and chili if I'm up in the middle of the night and hungry.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part of steak n shake is I can never get through the drive through in less then 30 minutes. It's why I quit going. It's you aren't going to be fast food don't have a drive through window.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part of steak n shake is I can never get through the drive through in less then 30 minutes. It's why I quit going. It's you aren't going to be fast food don't have a drive through window.
I don't know where you live, but In N Out is the same way with drive through taking 30 minutes. I avoid them sometimes because I just want to get food and get home quickly.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where you live, but In N Out is the same way with drive through taking 30 minutes. I avoid them sometimes because I just want to get food and get home quickly.

In N Out is absolute trash too. I live in the glorious land of Bojangles and Cook Out so I'm spoiled by having good fast food around.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had Steak and Shake for the first time in my life last year and I have to say that it was one of the greatest food experiences I've ever had.

I was devastated to learn that there were no locations in NYC.

So no. Steak and Shake is awesome.