• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh not what what need right now

Adhering to the stay-at-home order should come easier Saturday as the rumble of thunder began in the early morning hours and was expected to continue throughout the day.
In a hazardous weather outlook, officials warned of possible thunderstorms, large hail and up to 60 mph winds through Sunday.

The outlook for north central and northeast Illinois, and northwest Indiana, warns of a significant thunderstorm risk, golf ball-size hail and damaging winds up to 60 mph. Officials also added a risk of flooding and fog for the region.
Rainfall amounts in excess of 1.5 inches was possible.

The afternoon and evening hours presented the highest chance for severe thunderstorms as well as the possibility of large hail and tornadoes, officials said.
Officials said it appears that the greatest threat for tornadoes will be along and south of the Interstate 88 corridor, including Dixon, Rochelle, DeKalb, Peru, Pontiac, Morris and Kankakee. Thunderstorm movement will be rapidly from the southwest to the northeast.
www.chicagotribune.com

Chicago weather: Thunderstorms, golf ball hail, high winds, tornado threat

Adhering to the stay at home order should come easier as thunder’s rumbling in the area began early Saturday morning.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Tornados in March? Seems early for that kind of weather.

I would have thought it was too cold for that kind of extreme weather.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear whatever pilgrims settled in Chicago must have arrived on a Tuesday morning in May and said "wow the weather is so perfect we should go ahead and burn our wagons!"

Oct 28, 2017
Chicago is one of those places I love to visit in the spring and summer but would hate to live in year round. Lake effect snow, wind vortex in city streets that rip the flesh from your face, the Cubs...

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The weather has been typical shitty March but this is ugh. I hope people can get their cars put up so they don't have a ton of dents if it does hail.

Jul 18, 2018
Chicago is one of those places I love to visit in the spring and summer but would hate to live in year round. Lake effect snow, wind vortex in city streets that rip the flesh from your face, the Cubs...
Luckily this year the weather was good. Probably only had handful of "snow days". Very abnormal weather. Same as last year except it was colder last yr

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Lightning struck just outside our apartment last night and fried our modem. Comcast guy came out this morning and gave us a new one. All good now.

It's scary out there.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

Nah. This is around the time it starts to get turbulent as we move into spring. One of the deadliest and most destructive tornadoes, the Tri-State Tornado in 1925, hit in mid-March.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Wouldn't be the first time, I recall the midwest not having great weather this time of the year but I still think all those types of weather in one location is crazy.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I always associate tornados with hot summer weather.

In any event stay safe.

Spring is generally when they're at their worst, or any time you get contrasting cold and warm air masses, plus energy to produce thunderstorms that can start to rotate. The Southern states will be bad through April and then it'll start shifting more north and west toward the plains, but really they can happen year round in the U.S. as long as there are favorable conditions.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Already seeing damaging tornadoes well outside the watch areas; one just went through Jonesboro, Arkansas.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good amount of the middle Midwest right now. If anything, Chicago is probably the least effected (the power of the weekend + Lake Michigan).

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double-post but:

This winter had an extremely strong polar vertex. Hence the warm and mild winter. But now a giant ozone hole has appeared over the arctic and the vortex energy hasn't dissipated gradually.

It's gonna be a rough spring.
I swear whatever pilgrims settled in Chicago must have arrived on a Tuesday morning in May and said "wow the weather is so perfect we should go ahead and burn our wagons!"
It was actually a Frenchman of African descent. But I'm guessing Midwest weather seems pretty enticing compared to the rest of the continent wanting to enslave you.

But Chicago weather, while chaotic, isn't too bad. Besides the combo of blizzard + lake effect snow, there isn't much that's outright deadly to humans. There's a reason most cities (besides LA) got such large populations.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Tornado hit Arkansas 1 hour ago and now they're starting to drop in Iowa. This is gonna be a rough two months for the Midwest

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Jonestown Tornado intensified crazy fast. Went from a rope to a full out wedge in less than thirty seconds. Stay safe people.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
>_>

Well you seems to be right,weather is so unpredictable

I grew up in Chicagoland so I know well that none of these storms hit. You hear about these major Midwest storms but then watch them fall apart (or get minimized/diverted) due to Lake Michigan. People really underestimate how much the Great Lakes protect the region (why do you think all the major metropolitans are on the west side of each great lake?)

That said, it did lead to a childhood of watching Tom Skilling talk over the network to spout out weather facts for an hour. I swear that man signed a contract in the 60s to be in control of all content during any weather situation. It's been amazing to spend my life watching every news anchor try and fail to return the channel to normal broadcasting while Skilling just ignores them and starts pulling out his Meteorology 101 textbook lol

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

The Storm Geeks on Twitter

“This ladies and gentlemen is not a safe distance to be filming a #tornado in progress. This one s from #Jonesboro earlier today. https://t.co/4urbC37zj7”

Well that's terrifying...

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Everyone here is freaking out over severe thunderstorms. I moved to Chicago from Nebraska. It's nothing to worry about until the twister is 100 yards away. Then you stop filming and get to the basement

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
In Southeastern Missouri, and that was the first time in a while we've had the town tornado alarm going off, and actually heard our tiny ass town mentioned by name on the closest news channel to us. Had to take cover for a couple minutes, and thankfully seems it passed just outside our town.

I can't count the number of times I had to take cover as a kid, with the town alarm blaring until your eardrums ached. It's the reason I've always hated Spring. Summer fucking sucks, with the extreme heat, and mosquitoes that swarm like it's a fucking horror movie, but I always am dying for it to get here anytime the storm season churns up.

To the folks still in the path of this tonight: stay safe!

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. There was an earthquake in west texas last week too. Feels like Earth launched an attack against humanity.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Just got hit by a micro burst/tornado in KY. It hit hard and fast whatever it was. Blew a scooter away like it was a ragdoll. Took bits of our roof. Blew a shed door completely off, an took out a tree. It was scary. I could feel the wind calm and swirling right before, then slowly I could hear the rampage in the distance getting closier.