• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Go somewhere else dude.

He's been trying to do this for a YEAR.

Like you probably shouldn't be feeding your kids that much McDonald's if you require they remodel to suit your baby.

I'm all for these places providing adequate facilities but this is not the hill to die on.

Why not? Sure it's a convenience factor, but if you have it one for one sex, you should have it for all.

I do like how you focus on the fact it's fast food. Like that invalidates the concern

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? Sure it's a convenience factor, but if you have it one for one sex, you should have it for all.

I do like how you focus on the fact it's fast food. Like that invalidates the concern

Again - McDonald's SHOULD install changing tables in all their bathrooms - but this dad should have either campaigned for something more broad and meaningful than one restaurant location - or gone to another restaurant.

There's no argument about the principles involved - it's a family restaurant with babies in it all the time. But this particular dude's particular Magnificent Obsession seems a bit granular to me. I kept expecting to read that he'd lobbied the local business community to make sweeping changes but no. This one location. He really wanted to go there in particular.

It's also another example of why gender specific bathrooms - especially single toilet ones - are an extremely archaic idea in the first place. I almost peed my pants at a gas station near Chelan last month because I was too scared to use the unoccupied, clean ladies ' room.

BTW if you have ever used the changing tables in an airplane bathroom then you have known true horror.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've had it up to here with this stupid problem. Every time we go out, I change my son's diaper. Purposefully, to ensure that if the restaurant doesn't have one in the men's room they get plenty of my complaints about it. I've since begun just going into the women's restroom after informing management. If they don't like it, they can practice gender equality.

The looks I get from some women, though. Plenty of them appreciated what I'm doing, but a couple of them have given me such a stink eye for refusing to change my son on the floor or make my wife do it. God forbid I want to equally take care of my son.

I changed all of my kids diapers, even if my wife was with me, mostly due to the fact that she has a bad gag reflex to bad smells. I actually emailed my city hall because they didn't have a changing table on the first floor of their building.

Oct 27, 2017
BTW if you have ever used the changing tables in an airplane bathroom then you have known true horror.
The first time we took our kid on the plane she had the worlds worst blow out and the bathroom didn't have a changing table, so I had to do it with her on my lap. I got her changed and cleaned, but forgot to close up the diaper and didn't flush it. The attendant came over like 5 minutes later to ask me to go clean up. Most embarrassing adventure with a baby I've had yet.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I've had it up to here with this stupid problem. Every time we go out, I change my son's diaper. Purposefully, to ensure that if the restaurant doesn't have one in the men's room they get plenty of my complaints about it. I've since begun just going into the women's restroom after informing management. If they don't like it, they can practice gender equality.

The looks I get from some women, though. Plenty of them appreciated what I'm doing, but a couple of them have given me such a stink eye for refusing to change my son on the floor or make my wife do it. God forbid I want to equally take care of my son.

This is the way to handle it.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Go somewhere else dude.

Like you probably shouldn't be feeding your kids that much McDonald's if you require they remodel to suit your baby.

I'm all for these places providing adequate facilities but this is not the hill to die on.

Replace "dad" with "mom" in the title and get back to us.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replace "dad" with "mom" in the title and get back to us.

I could do that but it would be totally irrelevant to my point. My observation has nothing to do with gender or even bathrooms - this could just as easily been a bike rack or a bench -- I was baffled at the specificity of campaigning for an entire year to make a specific change to one branch of one (unhealthy) restaurant.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I've definitely had to change my daughter on the floor or on the sink area. Glad I always bring a changing pad but this should really be an easy accommodation.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I've been lucky enough to have changing tables at just about all the places I've had to change my kid. Hell, even our malls have entire bathrooms set aside for parents to change diapers. But the few places I've been to where they didn't have them in the men's room I either had to do in the backseat of my car, or use a women's restroom for it. They should be mandatory in every bathroom.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Why would a woman complain about this when there are always changing tables in women's restrooms?

To say nothing of the fact that McDonalds is a Trump supporter and any self respecting parent should not go there because his administration is actively making kids lives worse.
Jesus christ.

You don't have to make everything about fucking Trump.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again - McDonald's SHOULD install changing tables in all their bathrooms - but this dad should have either campaigned for something more broad and meaningful than one restaurant location - or gone to another restaurant.

There's no argument about the principles involved - it's a family restaurant with babies in it all the time. But this particular dude's particular Magnificent Obsession seems a bit granular to me. I kept expecting to read that he'd lobbied the local business community to make sweeping changes but no. This one location. He really wanted to go there in particular.

I think you're overestimating his crusade. His kid is potty trained. It's not like he's going into this location day after day making a big stink about his kid's soiled diaper he can't change there. It seems that this bothered him because McDonald's in particular is family friendly and should have a changing station. Other area McDonald's apparently do, but not the location conveniently located near him. After a year of lackluster response he contacted the local news and they too thought this was interesting enough to cover.

Your take here is bad. He's not obligated to elevate this up the chain and fight harder. I think this was more a symbolic fight for him and that's fine.

Last edited:

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a father with a baby daughter I completely empathize. It's 2019 where anecdotally, fathers have shared more responsibility in child rearing but it feels like societal accommodations have not caught up.

Tangentially, I was reading a sleep training book and came across a whole chapter dedicated to giving mothers strategies of how to get their husband on board with sleep training.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd rather change my kid in my truck. Much cleaner than some mcdonalds bathroom.

That being said McDonalds should accommodate parents regardless of gender.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
If I'm honest, this never bothered me. My kids are long out of diapers, but I had to change them in the weirdest places back then. Park benches, subway car, sidewalk of a bridge...and yeah - bathroom floors.

When shit exploded up the back and soaked the onesie, I did what I had to do.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tangentially, I was reading a sleep training book and came across a whole chapter dedicated to giving mothers strategies of how to get their husband on board with sleep training.
Yes, I was reading a potty training book with that same shit. "Make sure Dad gets involved or is at least supportive." Fuck you, Author.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The one time so far I've encountered an establishment without a changing pad I did it at the table.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're overestimating his crusade. His kid is potty trained. It's not like he's going into this location day after day making a big stink about his kid's soiled diaper he can't change there. It seems that this bothered him because McDonald's in particular is family friendly and should have a changing station. Other area McDonald's apparently do, but not the location conveniently located near him. After a year of lackluster response he contacted the local news and they too thought this was interesting enough to cover.

Your take here is bad. He's not obligated to elevate this up the chain and fight harder. I think this was more a symbolic fight for him and that's fine.

It's not bad. It's correct and I'm the best.

Your take is bad and therefore I win.

Oct 27, 2017
A year later of them not listening to your request. It's almost like they pay their employees unlivable wages and don't give a fuck about you as a customer either. Go some where else or cook from home. This went from noble effort to pathetic 6 months ago friend. Quit giving them your money.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking I've only ever come across a changing table in the men's room at the airport. Unless there's a family bathroom, I'm Changing my daughter anywhere I can/or in the stall. I don't feel comfortable putting her on the floor so I've cleaned and changed her while holding her up many times. It sucks but is what it is.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Go somewhere else dude.

It's good for the other dads that would like one too though

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'll preface this as that I am not a parent, nor likely to be a parent anytime in my lifetime....

Men's Rooms need to have changing stations too.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
He's right and his cause is just but...

Why does he keep going back to the same shitty McDonald's? I'm sure Burger King would bend over backwards for you if artery clogging fast food is your goal.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a parent who have at times been the primary caregiver for our children, it's kind of a pain when there isn't a changing table in a establishment. I know, I know I can walk back out to my car to change them in the back seat, but it is a pain.

Any other parents gotten in a tough spot due to limited or no access to changing tables?

This isn't something you need to accept as a viable option. If women have that access, so should you.

I guess it's the nature of the place, but WDW is fantastic for this. I changed our youngest son just as much as my wife, which was great. Well...it's never great lol.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
When my 3 were in nappies I tried to do a fair share on nappy changes, which meant I did them in very random places, as, as a rule the changing facilities were in the womens toilets.

Honestly I never really thought much of it at the time... We're a fairly outdoor family, so have done changes half way up mountains, windy coastal paths, beaches in winter etc so any indoor space was always a bonus. I used to eyeroll a when men used moan about it... Was just like get on with it, it's a bit of an inconvenience, but meh.

Thinking about it though, it is a big deal, maybe not for the men, but it's just another thing that normalises the idea that women should, by default, be primary carers.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
Go somewhere else dude.

Why? This shit is annoying af. At the very least have unisex bathrooms with changing stations. I put up with this enough to know it sucks. Especially when I'm in a strip mall AND the car is all the way on the other side of the parking lot.

Aint the 1950s anymore. Fix this shit.

Oct 27, 2017
heh, slightly OT, but I remember my kid having diarrhea on holiday and having to change her on the seat beside me on the Ryanair flight home. Thank god the flight was mostly empty and I had a row to myself with the baby. That stink though....

OT, its also a pain that I can't bring my daighter into the toilets. I stand outside the ladies now, but when she was younger I had to bring her into the mens which wasm't ideal.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
As someone with four kids I completely understand but I wouldn't make an issue over it go somewhere else that has one make them hurt at the walket

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This was so fucking annoying as a dad before my son was potty trained...

Like why wouldn't this be a thing everywhere? I wasn't a stay at home dad, but like any parent- I went places with my kid sometimes.

I've said fuck it and used the women's restroom before

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm honest, this never bothered me. My kids are long out of diapers, but I had to change them in the weirdest places back then. Park benches, subway car, sidewalk of a bridge...and yeah - bathroom floors.

When shit exploded up the back and soaked the onesie, I did what I had to do.
Ugh. Please don't remind me. My daughter is four and super great at going to the bathroom even in the middle of the night. She's so good, I'll let her drink water before bed.

But those back blow outs man... most of the time they were at home. So a quick bath or shower and we're good. But it happened when we were out grocery shopping and they didn't have a changing table. Had to use the backseat of my new car lmao.