• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
I wonder what the reaction online/in the media would be if someone did that to George Washington statues. The American founding fathers were all ok were slavery, weren't they? Admittedly they lived 150+ years before Churchill.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They certainly did prolong the fighting. If he didn't become PM then the UK would have exited WW2 in 1940 after negotiating a peace deal with the Nazis.

Oh yes because the Nazis were so interested in peace. šŸ¤£

Churchill may have been a shitty person but please don't try to make it seem like he was more war hungry than Adolf Hitler of all people.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Churchill is emblematic of the racism built into English society. We're taught from a young age to see him as a hero but never about the atrocities he was party to like the Indian famines, Gallipoli or sending the army into Wales due to miners strike.

Raxel

Nov 1, 2017
From Wikipedia:

Beginning as early as December 1942, high-ranking government officials and military officers (including John Herbert, the Governor of Bengal; Viceroy Linlithgow; Leo Amery the Secretary of State for India; General Claude Auchinleck, Commander-in-Chief of British forces in India,[214] and Admiral Louis Mountbatten, Supreme Commander of South-East Asia[215]) began requesting food imports for India through government and military channels, but for months these requests were either rejected or reduced to a fraction of the original amount by Churchill's War Cabinet.[216] The colony was also not permitted to spend its own sterling reserves, or even use its own ships, to import food.[217] Although Viceroy Linlithgow appealed for imports from mid-December 1942, he did so on the understanding that the military would be given preference over civilians.[Q] The Secretary of State for India, Leo Amery, was on one side of a cycle of requests for food aid and subsequent refusals from the British War Cabinet that continued through 1943 and into 1944.[218] Amery did not mention worsening conditions in the countryside, stressing that Calcutta's industries must be fed or its workers would return to the countryside. Rather than meeting this request, the UK promised a relatively small amount of wheat that was specifically intended for western India (that is, not for Bengal) in exchange for an increase in rice exports from Bengal to Ceylon.[K]

The tone of Linlithgow's warnings to Amery grew increasingly serious over the first half of 1943, as did Amery's requests to the War Cabinet; on 4 August 1943 Amery noted the spread of famine, and specifically stressed the effect upon Calcutta and the potential effect on the morale of European troops. The cabinet again offered only a relatively small amount, explicitly referring to it as a token shipment.[219] The explanation generally offered for the refusals included insufficient shipping,[220] particularly in light of Allied plans to invade Normandy.[221] The Cabinet also refused offers of food shipments from several different nations.[18] When such shipments did begin to increase modestly in late 1943, the transport and storage facilities were understaffed and inadequate.[222] When Viscount Archibald Wavell replaced Linlithgow as Viceroy in the latter half of 1943, he too began a series of exasperated demands to the War Cabinet for very large quantities of grain.[223] His requests were again repeatedly denied, causing him to decry the current crisis as "one of the greatest disasters that has befallen any people under British rule, and [the] damage to our reputation both among Indians and foreigners in India is incalculable".[224]

Even though India contributed 2.5 million soldiers to the Army, Churchill said 'I hate the Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion'.

Deleted member 59

Is this the start of more or less every historical figure (who benefited either directly or indirectly from the slave trade) getting rightfully "cancelled"? I do wonder just how widely this will spread, like how many of the US founding fathers benefited from it? Are people thinking there'll be a lot of protests around July 4th?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The British have never reckoned with all the of the evils that they inflicted upon the rest of the world. That they celebrate monsters like Churchill makes that very clear.

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
As someone who is British of Indian descent, fuck this dude.

What a lovely good news story this is.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What pisses me off is that none of this is taught (intentionally) so when people jump to his defence it's largely out of being spoonfed half-truths and expecting the other side of the argument to be made up.

They just can't fathom his two-dimensional persona to have such cruelty.

Surely this is when introspection kicks in and you wonder why you were taught the way you were. That is if you want to better yourself.

All I care about is that he was there for wartime and was quite rightly replaced postwar.

ps3ud0 8)

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As others have pointed out. Churchill didn't just do a bit of the racism like everyone else in his time. The man was vile, even by the standards of his time.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure he thought that for all indigenous people...

ps3ud0 8)

He believed in an "Aryan stock" that should rule over others.

Churchill called China a "barbaric nation" and advocated for the "partition of China". He wrote:

I think we shall have to take the Chinese in hand and regulate them. I believe that as civilized nations become more powerful they will get more ruthless, and the time will come when the world will impatiently bear the existence of great barbaric nations who may at any time arm themselves and menace civilized nations. I believe in the ultimate partition of China I mean ultimate. I hope we shall not have to do it in our day. The Aryan stock is bound to triumph.
Leopold Amery, Secretary of State for India and Burma and a contemporary of Churchill, likened his understanding of India's problems to King George III's apathy for the Americas. In his private diaries, Amery wrote "on the subject of India, Winston is not quite sane" and that he did not "see much difference between [Churchill's] outlook and Hitler's".

But hey, slow down on the Churchill hate guys.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

Whoa.

I think it's worth saying though, that a lot of the reverence for him (and other historical figures) comes from a lack of knowledge around these aspects - not in spite of, or because of these.

It simply isn't taught about or talked about very often in popular culture.

That's not to excuse someone dismissing it once they do know, but don't be surprised if people are resistant to acts like this when there's very little discussion ongoing in mainstream circles.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Whoa.

I think it's worth saying though, that a lot of the reverence for him (and other historical figures) comes from a lack of knowledge around these aspects - not in spite of, or because of these.

It simply isn't taught about or talked about very often in popular culture.

That's not to excuse someone dismissing it once they do know, but don't be surprised if people are resistant to acts like this when there's very little discussion ongoing in mainstream circles.
This is very true.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I first read about what a monster Churchill really was. Until that point I barely knew anything except the whitewashed version who won ww2.

Of course, anyone defending him after they know this or its pointed out to them are deserved of criticism.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I think all good people, once they read about the horrible things Churchill said and did while he had the power, would change their opinion of him very significantly.

This isnt lazy, hipster woke liberal bullshit, this is about people in power treating other human beings as subhuman.

Regardless of whether they opposed Nazism.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
THIS IS NOT THE CHURCHILL I WAS TAUGHT ABOUT IN SCHOOL!
That cuddly war winner would never have done any of the things in this thread. All I can say is I'm glad I live in a country where this stuff is available after you've been given the high school version. It still seems every time I have a look into Churchill I find a new depravity. I think kids in 50 years learning about trump will be able to relate, and as if it needs restating, fuck Boris.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
My first reaction upon seeing the OP was "wait, Churchill? As in Winston Churchill? Wasn't he the PM of Britain during WW2?".

I remember only hearing about his accomplishments beforehand. I had literally 0 clue about the terrible racist acts he did while he was in power because it was never taught to me. This thread really opened my eyes to that, so thanks for making it.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that people, not only in here but on my TW, keep diminishing Churchill as just a 'racist' like the kind of racism your Grandpa shows when he goes to the supermarket and is mean to brown and black people. He was a vile human being who directly instigated or provoked genocides.

'but he was key on the WWII against Nazis!" and sho was fucking Stalin and we know he was a monster too.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be honest, I didn't know some of that stuff about Churchill, glad I finally know how much of a monster he was.

Oct 27, 2017
Very much approve of this. Irish social media was abuzz hoping they'd fuck up some of the Cromwell statues while they were at it, lol.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
My first reaction upon seeing the OP was "wait, Churchill? As in Winston Churchill? Wasn't he the PM of Britain during WW2?".

I remember only hearing about his accomplishments beforehand. I had literally 0 clue about the terrible racist acts he did while he was in power because it was never taught to me. This thread really opened my eyes to that, so thanks for making it.

his dad was a cunt too, he annexed Burma as a new year present for Queen Victoria.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly you might as well tear down all the statues. I can't think of anyone who has a statue that didn't do horrible things or allow horrible things to happen. Even Lord Nelson, who was friends with slavers in the Caribbean and opposed the abolition of slavery.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly you might as well tear down all the statues. I can't think of anyone who has a statue that didn't do horrible things or allow horrible things to happen. Even Lord Nelson, who was friends with slavers in the Caribbean and opposed the abolition of slavery.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. History doesn't have to be celebrated nor do the people who made the major decisions. Someone else said it best. You wanna put up a statue, celebrate the nameless face whose back all this was built on.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Holy shit. Did not know some of this stuff about Churchill. He has to be torn down.

Qasiel

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
I took History for GCSEs and even though I was sad we never got out of the 20th century during it, I'm appalled by what I'm reading about Churchill now.

Can we take him off the Ā£5 note as well please? Not sure I want the arsehole living in my wallet in the future.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I wonder what the reaction online/in the media would be if someone did that to George Washington statues. The American founding fathers were all ok were slavery, weren't they? Admittedly they lived 150+ years before Churchill.
Actually a bunch of the founding fathers were against slavery, and several were against but had inherited some in states where they legally were forbidden from freeing them(seriously, even if they were bankrupt they couldn't). And several did free them. Washington was against it.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It's amazing to me that during my history lessons and college history lessons, all we ever learn't about was how great a leader, strategist, and orator churchill was

It's baffling that I have to find out through twitter just thehuge Amount of atrocities he actively chose to commit, his racist and downright horrific opinions.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I feel people are overstating his value in the war.

I am sure a competent leader could have been found who wasn't willing to commit genocide.

I mean he killed half as many people as Hitler.

Not to mention that the war was mostly won on the eastern front, though Stalin was a monster too.
His role in the war is irrelevant.

British Empire (like all their contemporaries and like most countries throughout history) was also fascist. Just to a different degree than the Nazis. They don't need to be celebrated just because the defeated the Nazis.

If an outside power came to free the British Working Classes from oppression from the hegemony, Churchill would be fighting the outsiders.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I like the compromise of keeping the statues but adding a permanent "was a racist" under them, in a nice plaque and everything.

But being more serious, yeah, getting rid of every public statue of a racist is a great idea. And if that means we end up with no statues... I guess we simply suck and picking who we make statues of, and we should try to do better in the future.

Madrid is plagued with this shit too: Kings, Generals, all kinds of monsters. The only one I'd keep is the one we have of Lucifer, who was also a monster but at least not real.

Oct 27, 2017
Should someone who had a "fair share of atrocities" maybe not be honored with a statue though? is that too much to ask?

This is, in part, part of the problem. Far too often this kind of historical actions are hand waved away or chalked up to "time and place" rather than confronted. It both serves to continue to normalize these views and also serves as a slap in the face to minorities who have to walk by statues of racists every day. This is exactly the issue America has with past Presidents or Confederate era leaders. People unwilling to really revisit and reevaluate the past because it would make them uncomfortable and force them to confront their privilege, which is one of the biggest obstacles towards having actual, meaningful progress on tackling racism in society. Stepping back and saying "this fucking racist was RACIST and shouldn't have a statue honoring them" should not be controversial.

Yeah, I think a good balance is to move a few statues into museums where context can be provided, and then to teach in schools the good and the bad of the people.

Churchill, like anyone, was a complex human being who was capable of both bad and good. We as a society are too quick to label people as pure good or pure evil (though in cases like Hitler obviously it is 99.9% evil based on his actions). My point (and I'm sorry if I'm not being clear) is that by making people out as pure evil, we hand-wave away the idea that we are all capable of evil things, and that the "evil" people had something wrong with them, or were abominations that won't be repeated again. In fact, we all are capable of bad things if we are put in certain circumstances. The same is true of how we celebrate "good" people too much (like in the case of Churchill) where too many then hand-wave away his sins by saying something like "sure he killed, but he also stopped Hitler!". The way we view Stalin in the west is a more accurate way of holding up historical figures who did some "good": We say that yes, he aided the Allies, but he was also a total monster.

Hopefully I'm coming across as not hand-waving away anything here!! I think we should take these statues down, move some into a museum where the historical context and surrounding info can be explained (as to why the statues even exist), and then in schools explain that Churchill was a bad person who also happened to stop other bad people from doing bad things. Don't make anyone good or evil (even though that's easier for people to understand), show them as complex people who did the things they did for different reasons (prevailing beliefs of their times, their own bravery/convictions, their own psychopathy, etc).