• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
gizmodo.com

Politician's Zoom Background Can't Hide Fact That He's Actually Driving

Andrew Brenner, a state senator in Ohio, is getting some heat for driving while participating in a Zoom call earlier this week. The Ohio Senate is currently taking up a bill that would create additional penalties for distracted driving and a local newspaper, the Columbus Dispatch, pointed out...

Andrew Brenner, a state senator in Ohio, is getting some heat for driving while participating in a Zoom call earlier this week. The Ohio Senate is currently taking up a bill that would create additional penalties for distracted driving and a local newspaper, the Columbus Dispatch, pointed out the irony of the situation.

Brenner, a Republican, can be seen at the start of the meeting sitting in his car while it's stationary, according to video available on the government website the Ohio Channel.

Monday's meeting of the Ohio Controlling Board was just 13 minutes long, but those were apparently precious minutes that Brenner couldn't waste. Brenner turned his camera on and off repeatedly in an apparent effort to disguise where he was actually calling from.

Brenner picks up his phone around the 1:50 mark in the video and his camera is suddenly turned off. When it's turned back on at about the 2:35 mark we see him tinkering with the virtual background and Brenner puts up what appears to be a home office behind him

The camera is turned off yet again, and the next time we see Brenner is at the 4:20 mark, still with his seatbelt fastened, and his ridiculous virtual background flickering away. Amazingly, he then turns his camera off yet again, apparently unhappy with the way it's making him look.

Brenner's video comes back one last time, glitching as much as ever. You can even see outside the window behind Brenner's head as the scenery rushes by. No one in the meeting comments on Brenner's location nor his weird background, but you can see at least one fellow politician smiling to herself.

When confronted with questions about the bizarre situation, Brenner told the Dispatch that it was no big deal.

"I wasn't distracted. I was paying attention to the driving and listening to it," Brenner said to the Dispatch. "I had two meetings that were back to back that were in separate locations. And I've actually been on other calls, numerous calls, while driving."

Brenner's explanation would be a lot more believable if he didn't bother with the virtual background and wasn't constantly fiddling with his phone while he was driving. His entire ruse made him way more distracted than if he had simply kept his camera off and only had the audio going.

0kxDmlZ.png

gYv9nhm.gif

Link to the video, can't seem to get it to load here though:

The Ohio Channel

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Lmao he tried to conceal it with a home background
And ofc he's an R

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The filter is gold. Comedy gold.

You have seatbelt on, doofus lol.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually kind of like this, it's comedy gold.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
edit: i didn't really think this joke out well enough for my satisfaction but also we can see this dude's seatbelt

jml

Mar 9, 2018
If it wasn't for the background trying to hide it I would've 100% thought this was intentionally sending a message & typical GOP temper tantrum shit. "Oh you say I can't do something because it's unsafe, well now I'm gonna do it for everyone to see because liberty and freedom!!!"

I'm still kinda leaning that way even with the background.

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this happens *a lot* now. People assume it's no different than taking a call in your car putting it on speaker. I see no reason why he had to even be on video in the first place if you're just listening.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
"actually while it may look like I was distracted I'm actually just a really good driver" is basically the calling card of every asshole I've ever known and wanted to see a revoked license of.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
my brain immediately imagined this dude crashing on the call and without a seatbelt he just suddenly flies off screen and out of view
Or that a cop pulls him over for not wearing a belt and we see a cop materialize out of no where in his "home"
And then promptly disappear again after giving him a ticket

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
"Do as I say, not as I do." is the motto of basically every politician. They all think they're above the law.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty funny.

Also, I don't use Zoom but their background removal seems really impressive.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
"I wasn't distracted. I was paying attention to the driving and listening to it," Brenner said to the Dispatch. "I had two meetings that were back to back that were in separate locations. And I've actually been on other calls, numerous calls, while driving."

The fact that he wont get meaningfully reprimanded kinda sours it but what an amazing bird brain response.