• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

www.unrealengine.com

State of Unreal

The State of Unreal livestream has wrapped up—watch recordings of the keynote and tech talks here.

Join us on April 5 for our State of Unreal livestream, where we'll explore what's in store for the future of games—and announce some exciting news.​

Youtube:

Twitch:

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
shit, I'll be in class then

we should get a final date for UE5 and the open world demo

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Looking forward to the stream and I wish we would get a new demo for PC or consoles.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It'll be details of 5.0 coming out of preview and more examples of the other industries where unreal is used

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we will get more footage of real games running on UE5. Hell, I'll take more footage of tech demos. This extended cross-gen period sucks big time.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
As an Unreal developer I'm looking forward to this.

Also, this is where they will announce Sony is acquiring them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the first one was definitely an april fools joke, but with the second, I think they'll be going through Unreal Engine's history until April 5th. maybe we'll see a game to represent UE5?

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Those who watch to get Twitch drops, a "surprise" spray for Fortnite will be a drop for
watching.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you just had one!

my expectations
  • studio acquisition
  • Fortnite Lumen update
  • Rocket League UE5
  • The Matrix Project release
  • demo reel of games running on UE5
  • Nanite supporting things like foliage
The odds of that are IMO 0 unless it's for foliage with no deformation of any kind like logs and stuff.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they finally implement HDR (among other newer UE features) into Fornite.

So many other UE games have had the feature for the longest time but it still doesn't.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Those who watch to get Twitch drops, a "surprise" spray for Fortnite will be a drop for
watching.
Super IN on this drop

I still feel like Epic hasn't paid enough homage to their past within Fortnite (The Gears collab could've been so much more! especially considering that The Coalition have been tech collaborators with Epic), and we also need UT to come back and for Epic to maybe showcase UE5 with a game of their own that supplements the ever evolving Fortnite.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Hoping it's an announcement of UE5 coming out of preview- been using it at the game studio I work at- the new workflows for large world building, level instances,etc... are fantastic even if they have been buggy in preview/early access.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea but always wondered generally is Unreal engine better than all others or just more ubiquitous and known meaning people have more experience with it and does it do things better or worse than others or just more of a package that cuts down on invested time or is it all big label PR hype and just okay and similar compared to other engines?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for HDR and perhaps something that can help devs alleviate stutters on PC or something

the first one was definitely an april fools joke, but with the second, I think they'll be going through Unreal Engine's history until April 5th. maybe we'll see a game to represent UE5?

the-avengers-marvel.gif

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
thats a dev issue, not a engine issue, you cant precompile shaders on pc, and devs seem not wan to do the work to add a option in the menu to do it.

This is not true at all :) source: me, a dev who had to dig into it.

On the topic: Very very excited :D

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
they tried, no one cared.

That's not true at all. The New Unreal Tournament being worked on had a lot of community support. The issue was that it was a passion project run by one of their leads and a few internal developers in their spare time. Once Fortnite became a megahit, Epic decided to focus all of their internal game development efforts on that. The community wanted Epic to at least open source all of their work on UT, but that never came to pass.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
thats a dev issue, not a engine issue, you cant precompile shaders on pc, and devs seem not wan to do the work to add a option in the menu to do it.
There are other engines such as RE Engine and indeed now Decima since the latest HZD patch which asynchronously compile the shaders in the background as you play. Even Unity doesn't have the issue these days. It's absolutely an engine issue in the case of UE, one which developers can find their own workarounds for as we've seen with Gears 5 and Borderlands 3, but they really shouldn't have to.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as I expected, Gears was the representative game today, alongside Samaritan. I guess tomorrow will be the Elemental demo? but what game alongside it?