• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Got canned sucks because it was really good. They only had 1 single player mission done, but the multiplayer was up and had a few of us playing it.

Damn, yeah I was just browsing their discord and found out. I really want another myth like game. It had so many multiplayer types. I loved hunting and body count.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The genre of classic RTS is pretty dead since a while now. Only that ugly ass Warcraft "remaster", C&C Remasters and Age of Empire IV to look forward to. And we don't even know how AoE4 will look like.

I am currently playing the remaster of Age of Mythology and that one ages really well. The campaign is a lot of fun.

The gameplay we've seen from WC3R was far from finished. And yes, I'm also disappointed WC3R is less cartoony than the original. But it can still look good in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
It was amazing playing games like Wolf 3D and Dune 2 at launch, witnessing the birth of new genres. Those were wild times.

Despite some novel attempts, RTS games have never truly shone on console so it was up to PC gamers to sustain the genre. I blame bloody mobas for the genres fall.

Halo Wars shows it works. But I think the problem is that hardcore PC players refused to accept any less control and novice players still felt overwhelmed.

Last edited:

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
RTS are dead in terms of being a huge genre, but that doesn't mean

Halo Wars shows it works. But I think the problem is that hardcore PC players refused to accept any less control and novice players still felt overwhelmed.

halo wars shows the exact opposite. It shows how neutered and boring and simplistic a game has to be in order to have some semblance of playability on such an ill suited tool like a pad.

My biggest fear for Age of Empires 4 is getting announced as multiplatform

Oct 25, 2017
halo wars shows the exact opposite. It shows how neutered and boring and simplistic a game has to be in order to have some semblance of playability on such an ill suited tool like a pad.

I feel like the critical and commercial response shows that your sentiment is not the common one (and in any case it basically proves my point.)

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay we've seen from WC3R was far from finished. And yes, I'm also disappointed WC3R is less cartoony than the original. But it can still look good in the end.
Pretty sure it won't but we will see when it releases.

When all the rumors about a Warcraft HD surfaced years ago I was hoping for a total remake of 1-3 in the Engine of Starcraft 2. That would have been so epic. But yeah ... that would have actually taken some effort I guess and RTS aren't the big shit anymore like 15 years ago.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Pretty sure it won't but we will see when it releases.

When all the rumors about a Warcraft HD surfaced years ago I was hoping for a total remake of 1-3 in the Engine of Starcraft 2. That would have been so epic. But yeah ... that would have actually taken some effort I guess and RTS aren't the big shit anymore like 15 years ago.

Warcraft 3 in the SCII engine.. please no. You can't remaster a RTS game in a different engine and not change the play style. Warcraft III has a unique style to it. If you want to do something new, actually do something new. I'm also really happy that you don't need Reforged to play with people who own Reforged. That why my friends can still play with me.

The clan that I'm in is still torn on Reforged. I think 50% of the people is going to buy it.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
It's also worthwhile to return to older games like AoE2 because of its HD rerelease and the addons they've since released for it. The new campaigns are really well made from what I've already played. Leagues above whatever Ensemble put out back then, albeit without the fancy videos and VA.

Good RTS games offer lots of playtime across their campaigns, especially on higher difficulties, so you don't really need tons of new high-profile RTS games imo, you can just play them again and be busy for weeks XD

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It's also worthwhile to return to older games like AoE2 because of its HD rerelease and the addons they've since released for it. The new campaigns are really well made from what I've already played. Leagues above whatever Ensemble put out back then, albeit without the fancy videos and VA.

Good RTS games offer lots of playtime across their campaigns, especially on higher difficulties, so you don't really need tons of new high-profile RTS games imo, you can just play them again and be busy for weeks XD

I just want to see what a new big budget rts game would look like. The CGI cutscenes in Halo Wars 2 are glorious. But it was just not deep enough for a proper rts game in my eyes. Last 'AAA' rts game before that was... SC2?

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Wars 2 is pretty damn awesome if you can deal with the streamlined base building and economy system. It's no C&C but still a hell of a lot of fun.

Definitely needs more maps though.

It annoys me that some decent maps are out of 3vs3 ranked rotation because you end up with the same 4 maps all the time which is boring but yeh, HW2 is decent enough. I still play it most days

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Warcraft 3 in the SCII engine.. please no. You can't remaster a RTS game in a different engine and not change the play style. Warcraft III has a unique style to it. If you want to do something new, actually do something new. I'm also really happy that you don't need Reforged to play with people who own Reforged. That why my friends can still play with me.

The clan that I'm in is still torn on Reforged. I think 50% of the people is going to buy it.
I mean if you want the original, just play the original? I don't get that demand for remasters. Give me something new or at least fundamentally enhanced like Resi 2 or don't waste your resources as a developer. The original isn't gone, it's perfectly playable in 2019.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I mean if you want the original, just play the original? I don't get that demand for remasters. Give me something new or at least fundamentally enhanced like Resi 2 or don't waste your resources as a developer. The original isn't gone, it's perfectly playable in 2019.

The HD version gave Age of Empires 2 a completely new life. I hope the remaster of Warcraft 3 does the same. The game is still very active online, but it could really be much better. A remaster like reforged can really give the playerbase a new boost.

I like the original game, that's why I want it to thrive. I'm also interested to see how new top tier rts games would be, but that wouldn't be a remaster.

The millions of custom games in Warcraft 3, the current playerbase and community for games like Age of Empires 2 and Warcraft 3. Those things are important. Throwing it all away would be idiotic.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
regarding WC3R: they are building it the same way they did Starcraft Remastered, meaning you can choose to play with the old graphics if you want to. Everything is built on top of the existing WC3 code, so most mods/maps will work as expected.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Paradox Grand Strategy games are the best real time strategy these days. Total War doesn't really count since it is a combination of turn-based strategy and realtime tactics.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
regarding WC3R: they are building it the same way they did Starcraft Remastered, meaning you can choose to play with the old graphics if you want to. Everything is built on top of the existing WC3 code, so most mods/maps will work as expected.

Which is a good thing. The game would be DOA if they didn't.

Now, every patch they've introduced in the last two years has introduced more bugs than fixes. So I'm still not sure if this will become a half decent game or not. But I still got hope. The team working on it really has passion for it.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm anxiously awaiting the next RTS by Chris Taylor. He's started working on it after he left Wargaming.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
How's Sudden Strike 4 on PS4? I've been wanting to check it out but it hasn't reviewed too well.

Thanks.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
How's Sudden Strike 4 on PS4? I've been wanting to check it out but it hasn't reviewed too well.

Thanks.

I thought it was okay. Seemed a little boring to me. I just did the training missions and some of the controls are really clunky with weird pauses between certain movements. For me it's a pass, but maybe it gets better as you go on.

To me, a great RTS needs base building and you need to be able to build anywhere. I liked Halo Wars but the building aspect was too simplified. I'm extremely excited for the Command and Conquer remake and I hope that it launches us into a new era where RTS is king and a new big budget C&C is made by Petroglyph.

I want the FPS, MOBA and battle royale genre's to disintegrate over time so that only the true king (rts) is left standing. Imagine a world where multiple big budget RTS games are released per year. What a wonderful world that would be.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Company of Heroes 2 still has a very active community, especially after they had a free weekend recently.

And let's be honest, it's miles better than the archaic gameplay of Starcraft 2, even with it's flaws.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Imagine a world where multiple big budget RTS games are released per year. What a wonderful world that would be.

There was such a world once. Just thinking back to 2007, Supreme Commander, Forged Alliance, World in Conflict, Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts, Tiberium Wars, Universe at War, Age of Empires Asian Dynasties.

I've seen people saying the RTS genre was never an AAA one. Its false, of course. Empire Earth 3 for example, in 2007, cost 10 million to develop. For comparisson, Gears of War 1 cost about the same. Bioshock costed 15 million. Anno 1701 in 2006 cost was also around 10 to 11 million dollars, it was one of the most expensive games made in europe. And this was a slow city building management game.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The genre moved to mobile platforms and as a result saw massive success; the big money for RTS games is on mobile which is why the platform is flooded with them. On consoles and PC, you'll still get RTS titles as it's a still healthy niche since games keep getting made (Halo Wars 2, Dawn of War 3, Age of Empires 4, Warcraft 3R, C&C Remakes, etc.).

Are there any decent mobile RTS games? Ones that play well, have traditional base building/unit management and aren't just trying to squeeze every dollar through microtransactions?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to play Halo Wars. The controller makes things that should be quick and simple overly complicated. Its awful.

If Age comes to Xbox, it will be M/K only. You shouldn't worry.

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any decent mobile RTS games? Ones that play well, have traditional base building/unit management and aren't just trying to squeeze every dollar through microtransactions?

Unfortunately I can't think of any 1:1 PC-to-mobile RTS games off the top of my head at the moment outside of like Warfare Incorporated. For what it's worth I've enjoyed Age of Empires, Starfront, Call of Duty Heroes (shut down), Titanfall Assault (shut down), Mushroom Wars 2, War Commander and Total War if it counts.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I can't imagine getting the same thrill from a mobile game as I get from the high skill ceiling RTS genres on PC. 100+ apm madness is what I enjoy.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
There are some but not all are going to have the same complexity as the PC strategy games. And that is too be expected honestly.

In the vein of Civ:
-The Battle for Polytopia
-Hexonia

Grand Strategy-lite:
-Realpolitiks Mobile
-ROME: Total War
-European War 4: Napoleon

Feb 19, 2018

Thanks.
It's absolutely fantastic on PC (feels exactly like old school Sudden Strike and Blitzkrieg 1 with modernish graphics) and the requirements are pretty low too, most systems should run it without issues.
Not sure about the console versions, non-PC RTS usually struggle hard with the controls.

Beaten everything in the base game except the US campaign, really enjoyed myself. You can even capture farming tractors and use them to tow AT guns and light arty, what's not to like about that.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Age of Mythology with a couple of friends. I'd really like another sequel after the new AoE. Also, hoping for a new Middle-Earth RTS.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Northgaard is a excellent rts. Almost feels like a mix of rts and worker placement game.

Robspassion

Jan 10, 2019
Frostpunk was also great. Really enjoyed the campaign. I don´t think RTS is dead just yet. But there aren´t many jewels aroud :(

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
jpg

Conan Unconquered releases Q2 this year. Made by Petroglyph which is a bunch of Westwood veterans. More interestingly their publisher Funcom just recently acquired the rights for developing games set in the DUNE universe. Maybe we will see a Dune 3 RTS...
Wow this looks amazing. Felt straight out of AoM, the walls, the houses.
There is no gameplay footage out yet ?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Just being able to win by being faster than my opponent is exactly what an RTS shouldn't be about in my opinion.

No, it's tactics first. Knowing the units and the counters to these units, knowing the maps, knowing the exact timing for building, etc. But as you get better, your apm will increase. Having those high skilled games where players are doing so many things at once is amazing to see. Yesterday I watched StarCraft II on Twitch again. It's mindblowing.

Oct 27, 2017
No, it's tactics first. Knowing the units and the counters to these units, knowing the maps, knowing the exact timing for building, etc. But as you get better, your apm will increase. Having those high skilled games where players are doing so many things at once is amazing to see. Yesterday I watched StarCraft II on Twitch again. It's mindblowing.

But most of the tasks in a classic RTS boil down to tedious busywork that detract from the actual battle, like why would I need to manage every single worker extracting resources. Having a high APM and adhering to a strict build order to a split second becomes a requirement to even get inot the actual game of tactics and mind games.

That's why I like Company of Heroes so much. It's concentrating on fighting from the get go and the menus are designed in such a way that you can do base management and production on the fly while still focusing on the battle.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
But most of the tasks in a classic RTS boil down to tedious busywork that detract from the actual battle, like why would I need to manage every single worker extracting resources. Having a high APM and adhering to a strict build order to a split second becomes a requirement to even get inot the actual game of tactics and mind games.

That's why I like Company of Heroes so much. It's concentrating on fighting from the get go and the menus are designed in such a way that you can do base management and production on the fly while still focusing on the battle.

I disagree. When playing on a decent level it's not tedious. Your macro skill becomes just as important as your micro.

This is mostly the case in fast paced rts games with in depth base management. Starcry, AoE, C&C games, WarCraft, etc.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I just want a proper Myth game. Wonder how long it'll take Take-Two to realize or care that they own the rights to it.

I've been hoping for that for 20 years. At this point I don't think they even know about Myth let alone have plans for doing anything with it sadly.

It's so infuriating too because Myth I and II were AMAZING games and both sold well and had extremely active communities. I mean Myth 2 was literally like the "half life" of RTS games back then, you'd go on the mill and find a ton of maps/conversions and things for the game and so many people to play with online.

Then bungie left the series, they moved a new developer in to make Myth 3 and basically IMMEDIATELY fired them once it was released so it got like no support really and the game basically died and that was all we got.

Though there's still a small die hard fanbase that has kept Myth going online and fan patches that have kept it updated and working on modern systems and things.

I'd just love a new Myth game that plays like Myth II and I think that there IS a market for it, because to this day there really isn't anything that plays like it. The closest thing is the Company of Hero games but even then it's not really the same because you can make new units, etc which in Myth was one of the biggest changes that you only got the units you start with (in multiplayer) and that is that so you had to use them wisely.

I wish someone like Nightdive studios would buy the rights from take 2 in order to make a new game or remaster Myth I and II.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I'm digging that Conan setting and They are Billions seems super promising. WC3 remaster is a definite buy too, just for the amazing single player campaigns.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Conan is gonna be some tower defense type of game, unfortunately. Funcom said:

"Players will have to build a stronghold and erect defensive structures before facing "wave after wave of enemies in increasing numbers and difficulty"

Elementje

Dec 26, 2017
Northgard which is in Humble Monthly now is a really fun RTS game with a nice norse mythology vibe

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Not for me, Northgard is on my to-buy list. Also Age of Mythology is my favourite PC game ever. I put countless hours into it back in the day. Now that I have a gaming PC again I wonder if it's worth checking the HD remaster...

In addition I finally got into the Total War series with Medieval 2 and it's absolutely great. Planning to check the most recent entries as well. But I don't consider that to be RTS, real-time battles take little of your time and can even be skipped.