• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like Sony is Kinect-ing itself with this VR flood.
not really they have a clear market as shown in the sales thread

they need to satisfy said market, they have a BIG 1st party title coming out next month while also having Dream going EA in the same season then they also have another 3 big first party titles that have yet to release

not going to showcase TLOU when Days Gone is coming out right around the corner and the other two games are also backing in the oven

then you have other games like Nioh 2 and FF7R, etc...

compared to kinect-ing itself, Sony is more just expanding their umbrella while maintaining their already scheduled line up

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You might be right about not bothering with the show. But, it's a 20 minutes presentation filled with trailers. What's is there to judge but the content?

I'll do my best to provide what I think to be the context of all the "hate".

For all intents and purposes, this was a VR reel yeah?

Now I'm not sure exactly how this was positioned, but PSVR currently has an install base of 4.2 million out of a possible 95-100 million console install base. Now unless they specifically positioned this as a VR focused show (I don't know if they did or not) you can understand all the dislikes coming from a hell of a lot of non-PSVR owners who were expecting to see more than a bunch of VR games alongside 2 games they've already seen plenty of at this point. If memory serves I think there was the one new game we didn't know about?

I remember the groans many made over Kinect and Minecraft being shoved into E3 all the time and that was despite Minecraft having a giant install base and even Kinect having a decent install base (particularly early on with Xbox One).

So maybe from that perspective you can kind of understand why the dislikes.

This all of course works under the assumption this wasn't just a bunch of console war dislike bombing.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
All that's trimmed is the dead air at the very end of the video from the stream. The videos themselves are identical. The thing about the Direct format is that nothing needs trimming because the point of them is to present a good paced and snappy video showing off and detailing some upcoming titles without a lot of the fat.
I was just pointing out that they most likely did not reupload specifically to reset the downvote count, that there are other technical reasons involved.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Either way, none of the games looked bad from State of Play and is why they are getting good like/dislike ratios (also as someone said above, people will go to the individual trailers if they are already interested in the game).

It's how it is all put together and the fact that it was heavily weighted towards VR games with no big reveal at the end that caused the backlash. Obviously there were going to be comparisons to Nintendo Directs as well and also don't forget that we were told not to expect much from State of Play by Zhuge, but other people from outside this forum wouldn't have had that warning and so I kinda do understand the disappointment. Especially with how hyped fans are about the big 3 games, that we haven't heard anything about in recent months.

But it was put together rather well, and more than half of what was shown (minus the sizzle reel) is playable without VR. The thing they most definitely screwed up was the rather lackluster reveal at the end, the trailer itself was great though.

Sony told us what to expect on Twitter: "Tune in our first episode for new PS4 and PS VR software updates and announcements", but i guess they need to be precise next time because a fairly large number of people seemingly had astronomical expectations going into this show. Sony isn't going to show most of their big games until later this year.

We saw the big three at E3 last year, I don't understand the rush with some of these people. Development takes time.

It can be judged on any number of things. Narration, format, the order in which content is presented and the time devoted to each. People might even ding it for not ending on a "one more thing" big reveal.

Additionally, that it had so much focus on VR content without prior warning is another thing people might downvote it for if they weren't personally into VR. Nintendo learned that it's better to set some level of expectations for Directs ahead of time so that people don't go into them expecting something that they're not actually getting. Point being, people did not care for Sony's first attempt at a Nintendo Direct-style of presentation. Iron Man VR and MK11? Yeah, people are game for those. But the presentation itself more or less landed with a wet thud.

Did you find anything wrong with the format, narration and the order of content? I understand and acknowledge the lackluster reveal at the end though.

People were told what to expect, Sony specifically mentioned VR updates and announcements in the original tweet. I guess they need to set the correct tone for each SOP going forward.

So the lesson to be learned is that most considered the state of play video to be bad and they would have been better off not doing it and instead just releasing the trailers individually. Or just making it clear that VR was the focus over other software.

Be more specific or split the show in two because some of the audience is incapable appreciating content on a device they don't own.

I'll do my best to provide what I think to be the context of all the "hate".

For all intents and purposes, this was a VR reel yeah?

Now I'm not sure exactly how this was positioned, but PSVR currently has an install base of 4.2 million out of a possible 95-100 million console install base. Now unless they specifically positioned this as a VR focused show (I don't know if they did or not) you can understand all the dislikes coming from a hell of a lot of non-PSVR owners who were expecting to see more than a bunch of VR games alongside 2 games they've already seen plenty of at this point. If memory serves I think there was the one new game we didn't know about?

I remember the groans many made over Kinect and Minecraft being shoved into E3 all the time and that was despite Minecraft having a giant install base and even Kinect having a decent install base (particularly early on with Xbox One).

So maybe from that perspective you can kind of understand why the dislikes.

This all of course works under the assumption this wasn't just a bunch of console war dislike bombing.

Thank you for this detailed reply and sharing a comparable perspective. I understand said ratio a lot better now.

Edit: it wasn't a VR reel, there was a spring and summer sizzle reel featured in the show though.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Be more specific or split the show in two because some of the audience is incapable appreciating content on a device they don't own.
I feel like being specific would work best. I think back to Nintendo E3 2018 where they got a lot of flack for the smash bros show, but since they spelled out what it would be ahead of time it escaped harsher ire.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I feel like this might have been more well received if that had just dropped it randomly like a direct mini instead of announcing it in advanced

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Nintendo learned that it's better to set some level of expectations for Directs ahead of time so that Point being, people did not care for Sony's first attempt at a Nintendo Direct-style of presentation.

I'm still don't understand why people talking about Sony's "Nintendo Direct" .....did everybody forgot that PlayStation Pulse did exists back in early 2009 ?

Even people that actually works in the industry looks like forgot that Nintendo Direct is actually the same format of That PlayStation Pulse format that Sony was already using 10 years ago.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I feel like being specific would work best. I think back to Nintendo E3 2018 where they got a lot of flack for the smash bros show, but since they spelled out what it would be ahead of time it escaped harsher ire.

Yep, I agree with you. They must set the right tone for each show or be prepared for mass hysteria/downvotes, guess that's the age we live in.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I agree with you. They must set the right tone for each show or be prepared for mass hysteria/downvotes, guess that's the age we live in.
I am tired of people saying set the tone just to appease people like that is not acceptable nor should it be.

Again if measures like that need to be taken the problem is not with Sony.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Too much whining on here.

It wasn't an amazing video, but I did enjoy Observation, which I was completely unaware of, and the new trailer for Days Gone. I was also a little bit sold on Concrete Genie, whereas before I couldn't care less about, and the new trailer for MK11 was quite a lot of fun, even though I usually only get 1 fighting game per generation and SCVI is already a part of my PS4 roster.

All in all, a decent show. With room for improvement, yes. But it was never going to be an E3 level thing.

Edit: I have absolutely no interest in VR at this point in time and I did feel like there was too much of it in the video, but I was still able to enjoy some of the things that weren't VR related, like I described above. People need to tame their expectations and see the good in what they actually get.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Is this really where we are at this point?

If we are being perfectly honest, the answer is yes. I'm generalising here, but it's not as if even within this community - we don't have our share of 'urgh why VR" everytime the VR segment or montage in a major conference comes up and our ratio of PSVR ownership should be higher than the 5% total average.

For the longest time, one of the big criticisms against Nintendo Direct before Nintendo pulled it off and everyone wanted to copy the model ( the model wasn't copied for a long time for valid reasons ) - was that the Direct model reached out to only the core fanbase and doesn't have the innate ability to reach out to the broader audience who don't keep up with the fact that there are this regular 'showcase events' outside of the mainstay E3s.

And State of Play - as far as we can tell by the viewership, did only the numbers that were expected of the core PS audience, and the bulk of that audience, if I'm being brutally honest only cares about the tentpole AAA titles.

And there is also the factor that the show started off on the wrong foot - where an Ironman game was teased but then it turns out to be VR, which for most people is kinda like a "oh man not what I wanted" moment and it never really recovered from there with its strong VR focus and none of the 'Big Three' present.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
PSVR line-up is looking nice. No Man's Sky, Iron-Man (CG was bad idea IMO, but has potential), and Blood and Truth looks like the AAA VR action game people always ask for.

There's always a sizable portion that groans and wants the VR stuff gone from shows. Sony is supporting a platform well and showcasing what makes them unique (VR games), and maybe tried to reach out to part of the base that isn't totally dead set against VR and could maybe purchase. (they sold 1.2 million in 7 months)
These State of Plays would be the best place to showcase these types of non-AAA games. Because they aren't the only ones that exist and are worth talking about.

I think they also succeeded in getting me into Concrete Genie, with that new trailer.

I came away pretty excited about a lot of the games coming in the near future.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonya only has itself to blame for cultivating the "1st party AAA or nothing!!" mentality these past couple of years. Maybe expectations will be reeled in after several SoPs and the majority of playstation fans will learn to appreciate mid to smaller tier titles. Or not.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
And there is also the factor that the show started off on the wrong foot - where an Ironman game was teased but then it turns out to be VR, which for most people is kinda like a "oh man not what I wanted" moment and it never really recovered from there with its strong VR focus and none of the 'Big Three' present.
No matter where it was put into the lineup, the fact that it is for VR and isn't like Spideman PS4 would have been the same reactions. That was totally hype starting out with the Marvel theme and featuring an iconic superhero nonetheless.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
They don't "need" to copy anything. Nintendo have had shit Directs in the past that they have learnt from and this being Sony's first State of Play it gives them room for improvement. Speaking of "copying" - Nintendo now charge for online like XBL/PSN but it's a awful service in comparison that lacks basic functionality. I mean, they had winning formulas to copy but instead they failed to do so.

Everyone has said how shit Nintendo's paid online service is compared to the other 2. no ones making the excuse that its Nintendo first online service and will improve, its not good enough compared to the competition. Sony direct was shit compared to the competition (Nintendo) and saying its their first attempt and will improve is just an excuse.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Everyone has said how shit Nintendo's paid online service is compared to the other 2. no ones making the excuse that its Nintendo first online service and will improve, its not good enough compared to the competition. Sony direct was shit compared to the competition (Nintendo) and saying its their first attempt and will improve is just an excuse.
i didnt know i am paying to watch these state of play streams.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how to take this post. You're dodgy when it comes to explaining your comments.
And you tend to be pretty delusional or just purposely obtuse. That comparison makes no sense because its worth judging the show as a whole instead of each individual trailer. If they just announced them on Twitter instead of doing a show it may have been better received but this is just about the show. Thats why it was funny.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And you tend to be pretty delusional or just purposely obtuse. That comparison makes no sense because its worth judging the show as a whole instead of each individual trailer. If they just announced them on Twitter instead of doing a show it may have been better received but this is just about the show. Thats why it was funny.
It wouldn't have been any different as people just want megatons.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
They not going to appease people that throw fits at the sight of VR thats silly and unreasonable

Is this really where we are at this point?

It's a large vocal number. What would you do?

And you tend to be pretty delusional or just purposely obtuse.

I wouldn't put it past you to call me something worse than delusional if you could, lying about people's behaviour seems like your forte.

That comparison makes no sense because its worth judging the show as a whole instead of each individual trailer.

Try your luck with an actual explanation first, we might even discuss this if you succeed.

If they just announced them on Twitter instead of doing a show it may have been better received but this is just about the show.

That says an awful lot about the hysterical audience than the creators.

Thats why it was funny.

Come again?

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a large vocal number. What would you do?

I wouldn't put it past you to call me something worse than delusional if you could, lying about people's behaviour seems like your forte.

Try your luck with an actual explanation first, we might even discuss this if you succeed.

That says an awful lot about the hysterical audience than the creators.

Come again?
I already said my piece. It looks like a few people are telling you the same exact thing in different words anyway. If everybody saying the same thing then maybe look in the mirror.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The show focus mostly on stuff that's coming out in 3 months and VR games which are games you can't get on other consoles. If you see there's this strategy behind it then you'd understand future State of Play will be similar in concept. It doesn't mean it'll be VR focused, it just means they'll show something that's unique to PS4.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony keeps this up (which I hope they do) they'll be lukewarm state of plays in the future as well as extremely hype'd state of plays and everything in between as opinions vary as well as user/consumer bases and what titles they want

I am just glad it exist and like Directs I can tune into some and skip others but at least be grateful that the format/series exists

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly i think the reaction has been way too harsh. for a first episode it was pretty decent. i can see people not being too pleased with the content, mostly cuz of the big focus on VR and there being no exciting new announcement, but to me the most important thing is that they did a good job of doing the format like that of the directs. i hope they're not discouraged by the reception to this episode and continue.
and as many people have said, they should really work on managing expectations from now on. technically they did say what to expect this episode, but they should have put more focus on VR in the announcement. if it's going to have a big focus on VR or indies, say it. that way the reaction will be much more positive, cuz the people watching it live are the people who will be interested in VR and indies in the first place. if they have a big announcement, then they should communicate that so people get hyped, and then also include some indies and VR so people who normally wouldn't look for those trailers see them.
overall, i'll give the first episode a good 6/10.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
anyway it is time to
xBmbOcq.gif

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Sony has had some issues dealing with the sandwich format. It's a tried and true formula that exists in every single form of media/entertainment.

You write a book, you have a hook to grab the reader. You end with an exciting conclusion/cliffhanger that rewards their ability to follow through to the end which makes them enticed to view future content. Something satisfying. Even if you personally can't connect with it, you understand the weight of the moment. This creates the intrigue for something that could happen in the future which could personally connect to you in such heavy hitting fashion.

Same for TV shows
Same for movies
Same for games
Heck I even have to follow the formula for my film/video director reel when showcasing it to potential clients.

Start with a bang, end with a showstopper. Sony hasn't been doing it that much lately if at all. E3 2016 ended with extended gameplay for a game they already revealed earlier in the conference, the game being Days Gone of all games. E3 2017 ends with more Spiderman that was already known for a while and showcased a few times. They could have put at the very least like one of their two new game announcements there like SOTC or MHW. Same goes for E3 2018. More Spiderman yet again.