• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
It was expected: anyone expecting new AAA was delusional -they are saving then for PS5, otherwise they will attend E3 this year-. They would have been better off just having a VR focus show and droping the rest in random trailers. At least you se expectations that way.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
as a VR owner, this was the bomb, i did not expect anything and was honestly expecting some trailers. this was that and nothing more and they delivered seeing how this will be an ongoing thing. people need to understand that this one episode was not their entire catalog of games and info

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Very good. Good pace, and a perfect platform to show new indie titles and general updates on existing titles. Expecting massive AAA announcements, at this moment in the PS4's cycle and with whats round the corner...yeah...no. Looking forward to the next one,

So true, Sony cancelling E3 should've been enough to understand the fact, that until PS5 announcement, we won't see anything big from Sony. But just wait till the next show, it'll be the same thing all over again.

No Man's Sky VR alone made my day, wasn't really expecting it anymore.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Will Concrete Genie get a physical edition? God I hope so.

Excited for Concrete Genie, Days Gone (I've had it pre ordered since 2016), Crash Nitro Fueled etc. I didn't expect much, Im just glad they're doing something. A little dissapointed over the fact that Dreams was absent, and especially Medievil..

I don't expect a big blowout until around September. Except for PS5 and the generall titles, all I want is All Stars 2

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
@topic: The show was a bit unnecessary. All these Trailers could have been released on their own. It was basically a trailer reel and forseeable that the internet would not be pleased.

One of the criticism against Sony in recent months was that their approach of just announcing games by-the-drop on PSBlog, dropping trailers and game announcements on their own - isn't conductive to actually helping those games be marketed/nobody reads blogs these days/etc etc.

Could State of Play have been better? Sure. But this show is literally also what some people has been asking - in the sense that it's basically just a packaged up version of several PSBlog trailers in one reel.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
One of the criticism against Sony in recent months was that their approach of just announcing games by-the-drop on PSBlog, dropping trailers and game announcements on their own - isn't conductive to actually helping those games be marketed/nobody reads blogs these days/etc etc.

Could State of Play have been better? Sure. But this show is literally also what some people has been asking - in the sense that it's basically just a packaged up version of several PSBlog trailers in one reel.
This. i also feel like we need to give playstation some time, it's their first video, lets see how it grows and how they apply feedback. i think its unfair to break something or someone down and give them no chances to apply feedback to improve.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Wow, NMS VR is awesome! That's something. :)

@ presentation: I missed the personal touch and an in-depth look.

Last edited:

Coloursheep

Oct 31, 2017
Great showing, had much more content than I was expecting. I prefer to have fewer shows with bigger announcements but if this is representative of what these shows will be then that's great.

Elohim99

Banned
Jan 2, 2019
I liked the show. Great for PSVR owners, not so much for the others. I think that after Days Gone the focus will be on the big 3. After all after those games showed yesterday very little is left.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Next time Sony should lead these State of Play "directs" with a short-summary of what they will contain (e.g., VR exclusives, updates on announced games...) as Nintendo usually do, so they temper expectations ahead of time. This was very disappointing for anyone expecting big reveals or updates on the most anticipated titles.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Next time Sony should lead these State of Play "directs" with a short-summary of what they will contain (e.g., VR exclusives, updates on announced games...) as Nintendo usually do, so they temper expectations ahead of time. This was very disappointing for anyone expecting big reveals or updates on the most anticipated titles.

Why expect big reveals ? They've explicitly said they're skipping E3 this year for that very reason. This isn't the only State of Play, it began and ended with the promise of future instalments throughout the year. We'll get our updates, whether its now or in a few months time doesn't make a difference, its not like it'll make the games release sooner.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Yeah so you can understand the theme surrounding the direct.

This one felt very VR based

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
But... this is what they did.

State of Play will give you updates and announcements from the world of PlayStation. Our first episode will showcase upcoming PS4 and PS VR software, including new trailers, new game announcements and new gameplay footage.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
But they did it

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
they kinda did, maybe they should have been clearer about the show being VR focused but they did state it will have VR software.
what i do hope they do in the future however is state the length. some people thought this would be E3 level and expected the big 3 to show up, which clearly did not happen.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
That's basically what they did on their blog.
You also had Zhuge in the initial announcement of the "direct" saying that people should temper their expectations.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, what a just fine show.

Great start, can see this getting good as they find their groove.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
But... this is what they did.

They were not very specific. This phrase:

State of Play will give you updates and announcements from the world of PlayStation. Our first episode will showcase upcoming PS4 and PS VR software, including new trailers, new game announcements and new gameplay footage.

...matches any pre-E3 conference since PSVR was announced, don't you think? So then you can't blame people for expecting announcements on that level, especially when Sony has confirmed they are not having an E3 conference this year.

That's basically what they did on their blog.
You also had Zhuge in the initial announcement of the "direct" saying that people should temper their expectations.

What I am saying is that what Zhuge did is what Sony should have done in the press release for the State of Play series' "pilot". I don't think his warning was heard beyond ERA. I don't think their video would be sitting at 10K dislikes (vs 3K likes) if they'd have done that.

Last edited:

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Still annoyed at the stream. Was awake till 2:30 am for this and such a disappointment. Anyways. Not to expect from now is the way forward.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The content was pretty bland, and the delivery was a little dry, but I liked the format and pacing

All the VR games looked pretty meh to me, Day's Gone looks solid but it's generic as hell

Concrete Genie looks like it could be pretty great

I look forward to the next State of Play, when hopefully they'll have more to show

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I like what I saw, we got 11 trailers from AAA / VR / indi games

Days Gone story looked interesting, Concrete Genie too and the addition of VR to No Man's Sky is great match.

Miao

Oct 30, 2017
Days gone's best trailer so far, first time I kinda feel the story. I also love the VR part, although I dont own one but I always keep an eye on it. I want release date for the big hits, but I guess they just want to focus on pushing days gone first.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Was this really so underwhelming that no news stories pop up anywhere detailing the announcements? It's pretty incredible how under radar this went, comparing with the Directs.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Holy crap, what a shitty show.
Holy crap, what an amazing show.
Holy crap, what a just fine show.

giphy.gif

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the video. I saw quite a few smaller games I hadn't seen before and days gone still looks good. I may need to spend some hours in no man's sky vr. Seems like the perfect fit. And ready set heroes seemed like an interesting premise.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
they could have just released those trialers on their youtube channel and be done.

they got people to waste their times and watch the show, so kudos for that i guess

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
What is with the negative reactions in here? It was perfectly solid with some promising stuff in there as well as some release dates and interesting new VR stuff to look forward to.

Some of you really sound ridiculous

Was anybody seriously expecting megaton news?

And yes there are plenty of Nintendo Directs that aren't revolutionary in their announcements.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
As a PSVR owner and a huge horror fan, the FNAF VR game made the entire show worth it for me even if I didn't care for everything else shown. I'm interested in Days Gone and MK11 but at this point I just want to play them and didn't really need new trailers.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
What is with the negative reactions in here? It was perfectly solid with some promising stuff in there as well as some release dates and interesting new VR stuff to look forward to.

Some of you really sound ridiculous

Was anybody seriously expecting megaton news?

And yes there are plenty of Nintendo Directs that aren't revolutionary in their announcements.

Apparently 18K were expecting that, compared to the 6K that liked the show (numbers from the Playstation and Playstation Europe Youtube channels) so I'd say the negative reactions are not just ERA's neither rare.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
after seeing Sony's response to the Nes/Snes Classic i didn't have high hopes for this. copying Nintendo isn't working for them

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers expect megaton announcements at every single show they watch, as if big AAA games take 6 months to make...

As a PSVR user I was happy with the focus on VR games.