• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome everyone to the Nintendo Direct cycle. Now you know how we suffer, but it gets moving. It's pretty fun.

(Please keep doing these Sony, Direct style are great way to talk to fans)

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still think a poll would be fun for posterity. Yay or YAY?

[ ___ ] - Yay
[ ___ ] - YAY

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
Yeah, I do admit that it's not entirely accurate, but your list doesn't exactly disprove my entire point. I owned PSVR for nearly a year and played most of those games myself and I still believe that most fit into at least one of those categories. Farpoint, Transference, Moss, Bound and Job Simulator most definitely fit imo, and most of the others fit in a less obvious way.

Note that, when I talk about these games, I'm not referring to quality; Moss, for example, is an absolutely incredible experience but it is still a 3-hour title with little replayability. The categorisations were just there to bolster my point about how a lot of VR games seem to primarily appeal to those who own VR. Of course it's a really hard thing to define, which is why my categorisations were somewhat flimsy, but I honestly feel that most VR games have that 'something' missing that prevents them from getting major mainstream attention.

I think that something missing.. Is that it seems like the devs has one toe in and one toe out... For example that star wars vr.. Awesome.. But just one level.. Like 10 minutes of awesomeness and then thats it. Re7 and astrobot are all in experiences...the ones that lack depth or replay value, seem more like test runs

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
Yeah, I do admit that it's not entirely accurate, but your list doesn't exactly disprove my entire point. I owned PSVR for nearly a year and played most of those games myself and I still believe that most fit into at least one of those categories. Farpoint, Transference, Moss, Bound and Job Simulator most definitely fit imo, and most of the others fit in a less obvious way.

Note that, when I talk about these games, I'm not referring to quality; Moss, for example, is an absolutely incredible experience but it is still a 3-hour title with little replayability. The categorisations were just there to bolster my point about how a lot of VR games seem to primarily appeal to those who own VR. Of course it's a really hard thing to define, which is why my categorisations were somewhat flimsy, but I honestly feel that most VR games have that 'something' missing that prevents them from getting major mainstream attention.

I also apologize if my initial reply came off like I'm an asshole... I could have said that better

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
There seems to be a lot of hostility towards VR in the console gaming space.

Sony might be better off making two SOP videos per episode, one for VR and the other for traditional games.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
too much cinematics and not actual gameplay, gives me little hope for the actual games

i like the animation of concrete genie though

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The reactions in this thread are looking very similar to reactions in a typical Nintendo Direct thread, so Sony must me doing something right.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
There seems to be a lot of hostility towards VR in the console gaming space.

Sony might be better off making two SOP videos per episode, one for VR and the other for traditional games.

Nah keep putting they all togheter.
Open minded people that wouldn't see those announcements if they were targeted to PSVR owners only are potential buyers.
Those who choose to hate will hate anyway.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Open minded people that wouldn't see those announcements if they were targeted to PSVR owners only are potential buyers.
Yep I dont give a damn what other think this devs and their games deserve the spotlight as well.

If people are not mature to handle that then so be it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I had fun watching the show. It was fairly low key but I liked that it was short and packed full of games. Loads of fun stuff for PSVR owners, nice new look at Days Gone and that Mortal Kombat 11 trailer was great. I had a really good time with it. I can understand some going in with high expectations and coming out underwhelmed but hopefully that happens less with future episodes.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I dont even think its trolling. I genuinely think peoples emotional state around video games is like a roller coaster. Everything is a reaction to everything. The competitor has good news, they go and cry in their room. Their favorite game company does something amazing, they're out there of the forums full force waving the flag for everyone to see. I think there are some people with a full on panic attack with how good Microsoft has been and Sony's approach this year. Everyone just takes everything to far, when all they got to do is take a breath and play some games.

MS hasn't really done anything of real substance this year or really last year in terms of pure differentiation. Besides crossplay (which of course they would champion given a smaller userbase), it's largely been vague promises of the future.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Yep I dont give a damn what other think this devs and their games deserve the spotlight as well.

It's not that simple though is it. Imagine working on a game/trailer to feature in the SOP show and people swarm the video with dislikes because x reason.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No Man's Sky VR....that's all I needed. I totally thought they would never make it in VR or not until PS5.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

This.
Lots of good stuff in there that I'm buying.

I had fun watching the show. It was fairly low key but I liked that it was short and packed full of games. Loads of fun stuff for PSVR owners, nice new look at Days Gone and that Mortal Kombat 11 trailer was great. I had a really good time with it. I can understand some going in with high expectations and coming out underwhelmed but hopefully that happens less with future episodes.
Yeah.
So I guess a lot of people didn't really enjoy this? I liked it a lot!

New footage for CTR, Blood and Truth and Concrete Genie, interesting new game from the makers of Orcs Must Die, cool new VR stuff like Observation... I got far more neat stuff than I expected to.
Yup, picking up a lot of these.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR is and will always be a waste of resource for me, im unconvinced by it, but as i dont follow Sony closely i didnt have any expectations and did enjoy the MK11 footage at the end.

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
I just got around to watching it and thought it was genuinely great. Then again, I'm a PSVR owner, so that may influence things...

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Super impressed with all the PSVR stuff. Can't wait to play just about everything they showed. Love that they're continuing to support it.
Same. Makes me feel good too for whenever PSVR2 comes out sometime after PS5 launches.
If I had one real issue with this, it's that the response its gotten is so blatantly obvious given the content shown that I find it hard to believe Sony didn't realize that expectations were going to be out of check, which might suggest they just wanted to get as many eyeballs on it as possible even if it meant upsetting most of the viewers
I mean this happens even when they literally try to go out of their way to tell people a show will be "guys on a couch talking about some games", like at that one PSX where they almost decided not to stream the opening show since they knew how people would react compared to the usual PSX opening conferences up till then (but did so seemingly due to all the requests), so at some point it's also up to people to expect some shows to showcase the other devs' games, and not just the really big ones at a big conference, when they say they will.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
If we get one of these a quarter it'll be fine (plus a few more "special" ones through the years). The format was good! Plus all the PSVR goodies.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would've been a good idea if they did that 'Sandwich' approach from Directs, where they lead and end with a major hitter.

Makes the whole thing feel a lot better. Ending on MK11 of all things was like a "Yeah I mean okay then" and that feeling just...stays.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reactions in this thread are looking very similar to reactions in a typical Nintendo Direct thread, so Sony must me doing something right.

Lol very true. Unfortunately it actually gets a lot worse when you leave Era as opposed to the opposite in Direct's cases. The youtube video apparantly got reuploaded to (I guess?)save it from the insane amount of dislikes.... Only to get a massive amount of dislikes again.

Honestly this format might not get a part 2 with this reception.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Lol very true. Unfortunately it actually gets a lot worse when you leave Era as opposed to the opposite in Direct's cases. The youtube video apparantly got reuploaded to (I guess?)save it from the insane amount of dislikes.... Only to get a massive amount of dislikes again.

Not exactly to save it from the dislikes. But the upload is only 20 minutes, so it's more of a VOD version of the SoP I think rather than having to skim through half an hour of the livestream graphic.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

This seems more likely tbh (below), I doubt they'd jump through hoops to game the likes while it was fairly even.

I'm pretty sure it's down to some YT backend, converting stream to video and the channel trimming the show to the actual length.
That was the actual (archived) livestream, this video is not.
Because that's the same stream? Playstation EU rehosted the US stream, unhosted when the show was over, and released the SoP video on their own channel.

If this was about their like/dislike ratio... They wouldn't have thrown away 6k likes, lmao

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

It is likely that the original video was just the archive of the stream itself. The new one is just a video of the presentation (usually shorter because it doesnt include the pre-stream count down). I think Nintendo does this as well sometimes but most people dont notice.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I hope Sony sticks with State of Play. The format was fine, the only problem was a lack of content for us "flatties."

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is going to stick with it. I mean listening to fans is good but if you have the thing planned out for the year than canceling them is not how you run a business.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Apprently Kinda Funny and EZA guys liked it. Had their criticisms of it, but they liked what they said, and the idea, as well as the presentation of it all.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony has been doing a really shit job of merketing themselves for the last 2-3 years. Did they hire a new marketing department for this specific aspect? The idea during last E3 was dumb as fuck and executed horribly despite having 4 incredible looking games. Imagine if Sony's "hype team" was doing this with Microsoft's software, no one on this planet would care. Luckily for them, their games output is completely unrivaled for them this year and their marketing team for when games come out is on point.

Nice showing for VR. :)

Fire the person whose in charge of running these events though.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I had no expectations for this, I literally got the one thing I wanted which was more Concrete Genie. I've already been sold on Days Gone for months and have had it for preorders. However, the MK11 trailer got me to preorder it and sold me on the game.

Everything else was kinda of meh and didn't interest me. As fire as the Iron Man VR game looks, I kind of felt a minor blow when I realized it was VR cause some .2% of me did think "Man, I want the fucking Avengers game already", outside of that I could see why people were disappointed. It wasn't bad, for me, but it wasn't like I was expect anything at all.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Very good. Good pace, and a perfect platform to show new indie titles and general updates on existing titles. Expecting massive AAA announcements, at this moment in the PS4's cycle and with whats round the corner...yeah...no. Looking forward to the next one,

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The budget needed for PlayStation VR is really hurting Sony's non VR output. Gone are the days of smaller, more experimental games like Journey, Flower, Rain, Hohokum, The Unfinished Swan, Velocity, the Housemarque games or a bunch of great indie games that aren't even released on PS4 anymore or at best several months after the Switch release. Instead, we get a bunch of very average looking VR games.

Sony's gotten a lot less interesting during the PS4 period.

The format of the show was ok though. Short and to the point.
These smaller Sony games are now on PSVR and they are mostly great. There are like a million of indies to cover your needs on regular PS4.

@topic: The show was a bit unnecessary. All these Trailers could have been released on their own. It was basically a trailer reel and forseeable that the internet would not be pleased.

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of liked it. NMS in VR sounds awesome and Observation seems like a cool game.

Peoples expectations were through the roof as always, will we never learn?