• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
This was such a great little stream. Wtf is wrong with people, there were some cool little non VR games shown and it was especially great for PSVR owners in great need of content. I'd be really sad if sony was discouraged from continuing this due to the negative feedback

I mean they have to listen to the feedbacks and most of them are negative so either correct the format or change it entirely.

For me i think most of the issues with this came from big comunication issues at Sony, they should have set expectations better: the fact that they told nothing before, people expected a Sony Direct, and i mean this was nowhere near as the February Direct from Nintendo for instance.

Instead if they say before the actual thing "hey this is 20 minutes long and mostly VR games" people don't have reasons to expect more.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Going forward I do think they should share a description like "focusing on PS4 and PSVR games coming in Spring" (which this entire show was outside of Iron Man and Concrete Genie). Just do a slightly better job of setting expectations, Nintendo does this with their Directs. It doesn't alleviate all negativity but it helps.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was good, but a bit short. Around 19-20 minutes. Great Crash trailer, and that game about the bullied kid looked pretty interesting and beautiful.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not at all. Cannot see how the content was generic (most of the VR games displayed were all original) and a lot of the games ooze identity. Just look at Concrete Genie and No Mans Sky.
Concrete Genie was announced years ago and No Man's Sky was released years ago.

If you don't have VR, which is 95% of PS4 owners, there was basically nothing here. They should've at least been upfront about that.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
I never understand why people get so mad at these things.

It's like getting angry at the latest IKEA catalogue.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017

If you don't have VR, which is 95% of PS4 owners, there was basically nothing here. They should've at least been upfront about that.

Your first sentence doesn't counter his point. How the hell does a game being revealed/DLC make them 'generic'?

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Going forward I do think they should share a description like "focusing on PS4 and PSVR games coming in Spring" (which this entire show was outside of Iron Man and Concrete Genie). Just do a slightly better job of setting expectations. Nintendo does this with their Directs. It doesn't alleviate all negativity but it helps.
Its not going to matter at all they where even clear last E3 yet look how people reacted

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being concerned about where the PS4 is headed after the stellar year they had and all the unreleased games on the horizon...just imagine.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't matter. VR games are still games and if you are a VR owner you would be excited by this. They were announced and released years ago, and you point is? The news today is both are coming in VR.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Ever since they mention VR games before the show, I already expect the focus will be on VR games so I'm very pleasantly surprised by the show.

I understand why someone who have different expectation might be disappointed. Imo, Sony should left out the non VR games for this episode and advertised it as VR only shows. Take some of the game from the montage and show full trailer to replace the current non vr games trailer.

Or if they insist on showing days gone etc. Make it clear from the announcement that this episode will focused on vr games with other small announcements.

This backlash is mainly from mismanaging people's expectation and could have been avoided

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the entire 20 minute video and yeah, very underwhelming and if you're not a PSVR owner or soon to be owner, the show wasn't really for you. With that said, PSVR Blood & Truth looks real good as does PS4 game Concrete Genie. Days Gone is my most anticipated game since E3 2016 and would have preferred them to NOT show a story trailer and instead, just a short new gameplay trailer. MK 11 was fine.

Overall, outside of Days Gone and to a much lesser extent, MK 11, there was nothing of interest for me personally. The lone positive I will give the show is that I do prefer the Nintendo Direct style format of just trailer after trailer as opposed to Inside Xbox which is beyond horrible.

At least Days Gone is just over four weeks away!!!

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
And why the American one its there and not archived?

Because that's the same stream? Playstation EU rehosted the US stream, unhosted when the show was over, and released the SoP video on their own channel.

If this was about their like/dislike ratio... They wouldn't have thrown away 6k likes, lmao

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not going to matter at all they where even clear last E3 yet look how people reacted

Last E3 was just weird for Sony no matter the games. Last years E3 would've made a great State of Play but made a poor E3 with a live audience.

The one thing I will absolutely miss from Sony's E3 is the live music score and presentations.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I'm not, so I don't give two fucks. And hell, their big new VR announcement, Iron Man VR, is yet another fucking VR rail shooter.

Then stop fucking complaining and acting entitled. They said the showcase was full of upcoming PS4 and PS4 VR titles and that's what you got. Try to read next time.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It's called feedback and sharing opinions. As a PlayStation 4 owner I'm voicing concerns about where this platform is heading.

What do you mean with that ?
We just had a crazy 2018, Days Gone will be out next month, Concrete Genie and dreams are scheduled to 2019 and we still have Medievil, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us II lol
I mean I can get why people are upset and I also think Sony should have been more clear with their message towards this first State of Play - as a PS4 owner I thought it was really underwhelming presentation even tho as a PSVR owner I loved it - but the direction that the plataform is taking? C'mon lol
There are great games for everyone on their pipeline!

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Super impressed with all the PSVR stuff. Can't wait to play just about everything they showed. Love that they're continuing to support it.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
And there goes 90% of the viewership. It's counterproductive, I think.

I think that is part of the problem.

Because that is not the way Sony handles their events, they always want everyone to watch everything, but that's a double-edged sword, people will always tune in only for the big announcements and be mad when there aren't any of them (we saw for years people snubbing the indie or VR segments at their conferences because of this)

While think about the Nindies Showcase, Nintendo got everyone on board because people know this is indies only, but it doesn't take away space for the main Directs or dedicated Directs to single releases.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you don't have VR, which is 95% of PS4 owners, there was basically nothing here.

I mean, I'm sure they'd like non-PSVR owners to see some of the PSVR content on the way and maybe consider getting a PSVR headset in the future. They're not advertising these games purely at headset owners: they want to show all PS4 owners that there's great PSVR content in development.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it. Sure it didnt have what i wanted but realistically we knew not to expect anything major. For what it was, a Nintendo Direct type i thought was good. And my boy was all over me for a VR now that he has seen FNAF

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Warned: Hostility towards other members over a series of posts
Then stop fucking complaining and acting entitled. They said the showcase was full of upcoming PS4 and PS4 VR titles and that's what you got. Try to read next time.
Ooh, entitled.

Look, it's blatantly obvious that Sony was trying to copy the Nintendo Direct formula, and with that comes the obvious comparisons.

Nintendo came out last direct swinging with Super Mario Maker 2, a hotly anticipated sequel to one of the biggest games of 2015.

Sony came out swinging with Iron Man VR, a VR rail shooter that I will bet my left nut on not getting above 65 on Metacritic.

It was a complete waste of fucking time and instills zero confidence in Sony's 2019 slate.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I think that is part of the problem.

Because that is not the way Sony handles their events, they always want everyone to watch everything, but that's a double-edged sword, people will always tune in only for the big announcements and be mad when there aren't any of them (we saw for years people snubbing the indie or VR segments at their conferences because of this)

While think about the Nindies Showcase, Nintendo got everyone on board because people know this is indies only, but it doesn't take away space for the main Directs or dedicated Directs to single releases.

Indies are still played on the actual Switch device though so even if they get their own Direct, it doesn't really hurt Nintendo if less people tune in for that vs their main Directs.

Sony needs everyone to see PSVR titles in hopes that it encourages them to buy the separate device that's different from the main console.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
So the pacing was pretty snappy, which I liked. They didn't linger on anything too long, although I honestly could have done with a bit more Days Gone to really actually tell me what the story is about (maybe I missed some prior videos that flesh it out more).

I understand people telling others to check their expectations, and that Sony specifically mentioned PSVR in the blog announcement. Those are fair statements. With that said, the presentation felt a little underwhelming because we didn't get info on any of the 3 big games remaining in their pipeline. I think a lot of us were hoping to see a 2019 release date for any one of Death Stranding, Last of Us, or Ghosts of Tsushima & wouldn't care which. I myself was hoping for it, although I'm not surprised that we'll probably have to wait until after Days Gone releases for Sony to start marketing their next game.

As for the heavy focus on PSVR, I kind of get it. They don't have much to show of their first-party studios, so show off the upcoming VR stuff. I think for a lot of people though it feels a bit like when Nintendo has a section for 3DS games during their Directs. Sure, it certainly has a right to be there, but it's not why the vast majority of people are tuning in. At least a couple of the VR games looked like they could be ok, although I'm sure people saw that Ironman VR game & had themselves thinking Avengers or an Ironman game in the style of Insomniac's Spiderman.

Highlights:
Pacing
Concrete Genie - looks very interesting
MK11 Trailer - This trailer was so much fun to watch. Honestly it made me more excited than the rest of the showcase put together.

Overall, the format will work once they have more games to show. It's possible in the future they want to separate out PSVR State of Plays from the rest, but I don't really see Sony doing that. Hopefully the next one we see will have more of the stuff people were hoping would show up here.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh, entitled.

Look, it's blatantly obvious that Sony was trying to copy the Nintendo Direct formula, and with that comes the obvious comparisons.

Nintendo came out last direct swinging with Super Mario Maker 2, a hotly anticipated sequel to one of the biggest games of 2015.

Sony came out swinging with Iron Man VR, a VR rail shooter that I will bet my left nut on not getting above 65 on Metacritic.

It was a complete waste of fucking time and instills zero confidence in Sony's 2019 slate.
Like I said, now you know what to expect in upcoming State of Plays. Tune in or ignore them.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
People in this thread who actually think this is all Sony is going to have for 2019 are something else.

It was a 20 minute stream with some neat announcements. It's not like the PS4 hasn't had ample volumes of software the past few years.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
are kids still whining? jesus christ.

anyway, Observation looks really cool so does Concrete Genie.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was... Really underwhelming and emulated the worst aspects of the early Nintendo Directs. Slow (which feels odd since all trailers were pretty short), nothing much of interest and just plain boring. The games themselves look promising and those VR games are stuff I know I'll try out. Here's just hoping they improve for the next one. This could be quite nice to have on a regular basis.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the content wasn't great but I prefer the format over Inside Xbox which feels so padded out with talking heads.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know most people here seem down on it, but I'd still like to see a poll. I guess it might be too late for that, though.

Just for posterity, ya know.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I probably will do the latter. And so will 95% of the Playstation audience.
The fact that you can't even commit to ignoring them going forward, yet you're speaking for "95% of the Playstation audience" is really something else.

It's okay if you don't watch them! Plenty of people will and some will appeal to them, some won't. But certainly once the PS5 is unveiled and out in the open, they'll be able to talk about a lot more new games.

I thought the format was excellent. The only thing I'd change is having a good host so that you get a bit of that human touch. Felt a little too robotic for my tastes. Just a little. Can't wait for when they have a lot more games to talk about.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, entitled.

I see where the concern trolling comes from now. Took awhile to reveal yourself but you finally did. It's a good job Sony know what they are doing and made the PS4 the best selling console last year because some of these hot takes are hilarious.