• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure everyone knows it's PS+ Extra but we just say PS+ for short. Yes, the naming system is horrible

If everyone was clear on that, then we really need a better way of communicating that because there's just no way to tell from reading those posts alone that you need at least the Extra tier to get it.

A great showcase!

-fucking finally at getting an update on seasons! Even better? We got a release date!
-Rollerdrome looks right up my fucking ally!
-the calisto project looks cool!
-stray looks very atmospheric!
-I'm sure many (including myself) are very happy about the forbidden west update! Transmog is great, but the performance mode needed serious love! Good to see guerilla give it.

All in all? A very solid showcase! I'm very pleased

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 released like 1 or 2 months after their events, they could easily have a GOW showcase in August and release the game in September/October
Tsushima was shown during a SOP 7 months before release, then had another update 3 months before the planned release (which then was slightly delayed) — the main thing with both this and TLOU II was that there were firm release dates even despite additional delays after they were set. God of War still lacks one.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
If everyone was clear on that, then we really need a better way of communicating that because there's just no way to tell from reading those posts alone that you need at least the Extra tier to get it.
It's the same problem as we get with Game Pass. If a game comes out on PC or console, then people just say Game Pass. You always have to look at the actual source to see if they mean only one or both (and sometimes that doesn't even clarify).

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
One of the best SoP episode in my opinion.

30 minutes with great pacing, excellent games debuting/new updated trailers.

Expect no RE4 Remake/SF6/FFXVI ever, only Alyx...

Only the latter didn't show up. 😅

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yah. I guess we'll see! I'm definitely excited for the game and it's not going to dissuade me from playing at all, but I am sad that the party seems to be a non-starter idea for FF games nowadays.
Yeah, agreed. I am not swearing off playing it. It would be disappointing if it turns out that there is none but I'm still willing to give it a shot and will be interested in getting more details as time goes

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Did I read and hear right that stray is day 1 on the new service? If so hopefully that bodes well for other games

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, agreed. I am not swearing off playing it. It would be disappointing if it turns out that there is none but I'm still willing to give it a shot and will be interested in getting more details as time goes

Yeah. I look forward to seeing what they do. If there are like, total stance changes to Clive (or like, total changes in how his character plays) with the different summons, that might be neat. I still hope he had someone travelling with him, though, even if it's just story.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I look forward to seeing what they do. If there are like, total stance changes to Clive (or like, total changes in how his character plays) with the different summons, that might be neat. I still hope he had someone travelling with him, though, even if it's just story.
Oh thats a good idea! That would be pretty fun if there was something like stance changes. Now my hopes are being raised lol. It would be nice if someone was a companion during the travel of the story; I definitely agree with that. I just like groups of people for RPGs and long stories.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot that there was a State of Play today! Thankfully the homie showed me the SF6 trailer and reminded me of it.

Best one for me because of showcasing three games I've been eagerly looking forward to in current gen. SF6, RE4 & FFXVI.

Callisto Protocol giving me Dead Space vibes, that's on my watchlist for sure now. Pleasantly surprised how amazing the VR games looked. & on top of that Stray on PS+. Spiderman on PC! Definitely tops for me. Thanks to Capgod and Square for delivering and coming through.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Either people are confused or we need a better way to distinguish that it's not free like games were on PS Plus before because it's not included in the base tier which is the equivalent of PS Plus as we know it. You need to pay for a higher tier to get it and none of these posts would indicate that.

Wait didn't they say it's included in the "Extra" tier? Which is the base tier? So you don't need anything above the basic subscription to access it when it comes out, surely?

Edit: wait no I'm wrong… extra isn't the basic tier? They need to come up with better names for this stuff.

LD50

Banned
May 11, 2022
I said holy shit, many times. That was soo good. My God, do you see how good FFXVI is looking? Callisto Protocol? Stray!?

I'm hyperventilating.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I should stop watching these live. When I don't, there's good content! Like today!

But, I can't help but feel sad there was no Dino Crisis or Dragon's Dogma 2. I am so sick of Resident Evil, and even sicker of RE Remakes!!!!! Especially of a super overrated RE4, ugh.Just remake Dino Crisis for frick sake! And reveal DD2. I'm so tired of waiting...

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Not much for me in this one. Psvr2 I didn't need to see but other than that the only thing that looked good for my tastes was stray.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Oh thats a good idea! That would be pretty fun if there was something like stance changes. Now my hopes are being raised lol. It would be nice if someone was a companion during the travel of the story; I definitely agree with that. I just like groups of people for RPGs and long stories.

I'm wondering if it'll be like, style changes depending on the summon you have equipped or something? Like, Ifrit would be strength, Shiva would be magic, etc. Who knows lol.

And yeah, story wise, I would want more than just one person. Otherwise, Clive better be a really, really engaging character lol

Cruella

May 5, 2021
For those who aren't happy, I really wonder WTF, what wonders did they expect to see out of 3d Party and VR centered SOP.

Is this like another one of those where SOP is advertised to be about indies and people wonder bitterly where AAA games were, because nobody can read for some reason?

I guess rumored SH is missing, but IF Silent Hill game exist in near finished state and tied to Playstation, I suspect they will keep it for their big presentation, OR it might be revealed in Geoff's show. And I can see people hoping for Remake Pt. II, but would SE really mix it up with FFXVI presentation? More VR games are also coming, they have till 2023, we will certainly see more.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Not bad for a show that was announced not too long ago with little fanfare. It's great that spider-man is coming to pc, and it will be cool to see what ray tracing is like on more powerful hardware. I'm sure there will be some pretty cool mods as well.

Also, I just played through the original re4 on the oculus quest and it was a pretty transcendent experience. Still, the graphics were a bit dated. I hope the fact that the psvr2 is wired doesn't adversely affect the experience too much. I might buy one just for RE8, but I'll have to see the price first and whether it will be backwards compatible or not.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if it'll be like, style changes depending on the summon you have equipped or something? Like, Ifrit would be strength, Shiva would be magic, etc. Who knows lol.

And yeah, story wise, I would want more than just one person. Otherwise, Clive better be a really, really engaging character lol
Fingers crossed that we get answers sooner rather than later! I'm really interested in what it'll end up being

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That show did basically nothing for me. Cool that Stray is being included Day 1 on PS Plus Extra. Callisto Protocol being released this year is nice.

Other than that, ugh. 2022 release calendar for the industry continues to suck, and none of the reveals were interesting to me.

Oct 27, 2017
That was an excellent State of Play. Stray definitely has garnered quite the reception. It's currently the best seller on Steam right now (after Steam Deck)!

Lirose

May 30, 2018
The best SOP by far but then again the bar wasn't very high before this. This was the first time I managed to catch it live and was surprised that there were only 100k people watching on YouTube.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
That was a great showcase! Maybe if the had holded for long to put together more first party content like Ragnarok it would be perfect, but with RE4, SF6 and FF XVI Sony must felt pretty confortable to "start" the Summer Game Fest.

Best thing about it it's that I'm at least a little interested in absolutely everything they've show, but what I've liked the most:

- I'm really curious to see where Resident Evil 4 Remake will fall between the horror of the remakes and the "goofiness" of the original game.

- Horizon VR looks more like a complete game than just the showcase that I thought it would be.

- Street Fighter 6 went from that weid teaser announcement to an excellent gameplay trailer with great designs (didn't think I could love Chun-Li even more) and a new interesting mode.

- Stray (beautiful trailer) at launch available on the new PS+ Extra it's a good first step to show that maybe Sony will really take this service serious.

- I can't wait to play Rollerdrome. As someone who absolutely love OlliOlli I'm so hyped to see this new game from roll7.

- I think it will be hard for any other trailer from June's events to beat Final Fantasy XVI, holy shit.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This State of Play was so good, kinda wonder if their main showcase will live up to expectations now....lol.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
What a pleasant surprise, I didn't know anything about this. I'm fully sold on RE4 and Callisto.

Stray - looks amazing and very atmospheric. I'd say it's more cyberpunk feeling than CP2077, somehow more real. And the cat trills? I'm running over to Steam and buying it right now.

I'm meh on FF16. It's the second trailer and I don't see anything appealing to me. Also didn't help that the voice acting sounded mediocre to me.

Oh right, sucked that Half Life Alyx wasn't among their VR showcase though.

Last edited: