• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any footage or a clip or anything of a person actually getting run down by a car? I think they dodged them every single time in the video.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
It's probably just to show the gameplay mechanics but I would imagine in the frantic action people will get hit a lot more often.
More often than never? I hope so.

I understood all of the alternate game modes, but how do you win or lose in the basic game mode? Is it getting the most points from wrecking people? Do you have health/lives?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More often than never? I hope so.

I understood all of the alternate game modes, but how do you win or lose in the basic game mode? Is it getting the most points from wrecking people? Do you have health/lives?

Seems to be a free for all to just gain points, but it wasn't 100% clear like the other modes.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Remember that Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars started as a weird game on PSN too.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
This game being a next gen exclusive is a very strange choice: wouldn't it be better this one to be cross gen and Sackboy nextgen?

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Hey now, this looks pretty rad. Wasn't on my radar but I think I may actually try this. It looks a lot more polished then I thought it would.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This game being a next gen exclusive is a very strange choice: wouldn't it be better this one to be cross gen and Sackboy nextgen?
Yeah Sony's cross-gen vs. next-gen exclusive policy has definitely been a bit strange. This isn't exactly a game pushing the hardware nor is it a huge AAA game which will push a noteworthy amount of people to get a PS5 over a XS so out of all games Sony has upcoming it definitely would have made sense to be cross-gen. Also would have been a lot better for the health of the playerbase.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Seems like it'll be fun for like an hour and then I'll probably never touch it again tbh.

But yeah, basically feels like rebranding and dumbing down Twisted Metal to appeal to current trends, which tbh will probably backfire as the aesthetic is the most annoying part.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So since this is an online game how does that slow motion work? Does time slow for everyone? Always wondered how they implement things like this in multiplayer titles.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm calling it. Next big thing like Fortnite, Fall Guys or Among us. Don't @ me.

I think that ambition is gonna only be hampered by the limited amount of PS5s out there. It's gonna be tough to be the next Fortnite or Among Us on only one platform when that platform is hugely supply constrained.

You've gotta imagine that everyone with a PS5 will at least try it though. Honeymoon period has got to be a good time to drop in terms of getting players eyes on it. People want new stuff to play on their new console.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Here's hoping the netcode is great. Nothing kills a good online game faster than connection issues

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"This actually looks good?"

tenor.gif

Lol, I kid I kid. Glad so many like what they see! Hopefully everyone enjoys playing it even more <3

Congrats! Looks great.

Yeah Sony's cross-gen vs. next-gen exclusive policy has definitely been a bit strange. This isn't exactly a game pushing the hardware nor is it a huge AAA game which will push a noteworthy amount of people to get a PS5 over a XS so out of all games Sony has upcoming it definitely would have made sense to be cross-gen. Also would have been a lot better for the health of the playerbase.

Supporting 2 platforms (3 counting Pro) must be much harder for a small team, FPS probably wouldn't be stable and they plan updates so they would need to cut PS4 eventually anyway.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I mean, I have PS+ and a PS5, of course I'm gonna at least try it I guess. Not really my cup of tea but I'll give it a shot, maybe it's fun!

trapt777

Oct 25, 2017
This game will live and die by its ability to hold an online audience. I'm not convinced.

Everyone calling it the next Fortnite, Fall Guys or Among Us are ignoring that this is a PS5 exclusive. This isn't launching on PS4 or Steam where it would have a potential player base of 100's of millions. This is launching on a brand new, expensive console with a limited player base and even more limited retail availability!

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I think that ambition is gonna only be hampered by the limited amount of PS5s out there. It's gonna be tough to be the next Fortnite or Among Us on only one platform when that platform is hugely supply constrained.

You've gotta imagine that everyone with a PS5 will at least try it though. Honeymoon period has got to be a good time to drop in terms of getting players eyes on it. People want new stuff to play on their new console.
Not saying it's gonna flop, but you simply can't reach those heights by being on a $400/$500 console with extremely limited availability.
Not even the two other games mentioned alongside Fortnite are on Fortnites level. Lol. But I am curious to give this a try now that we actually got gameplay.

Yeah I figured, also doesn't help you need PS+ lol. If it became a true f2p game, then maybe? I guess it will depend on how fun the game is.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Here are the PS5 features according to the store page:
  • Stunning visuals: Has total destruction ever looked this good? Experience the global phenomenon of vehicle-based combat in a crisp dynamic 4K resolution.
  • Fast loading: Mayhem waits for no one! Choose your AllStar and accelerate into the action with the near-instant lightning fast load times of the PS5 console's ultra-high speed SSD.
  • Adaptive triggers: Experience your ride! Get unique feedback for each vehicle thanks to the DualSense™ Wireless Controller's adaptive triggers.
  • Haptic feedback: Wham! Experience the impact of rams and slams as the DualSense™ Wireless Controller's dual actuators simulate the feel of your in-game actions through immersive sensory feedback.
  • Tempest 3D AudioTech on compatible headphones: How the crunch of slamming into an opponent is meant to sound! Hear stunning 360-degree stadium atmospherics with Tempest 3D AudioTech.
Should be a showcase for the hardware.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
This looks way better than expected. Loving the gameplay, finally not a shooty bang bang multiplayer game with fluid movement dynamics and whacky characters.

Love the artstyle and character designs. They look marvelous. Didn't expect that at all.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I'm calling it. Next big thing like Fortnite, Fall Guys or Among us. Don't @ me.

A game that's locked into a single platform that doesn't even have 8M consoles sold will never reach the level of games that are basically available everywhere not only in consoles and PCs but also mobile phones.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting my time with it to go something like this.

Day 1: Wow, this is so much fun, I love it

Day2 : I'm kinda over it

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
This will be fun with a bunch of friends! Looking forward to it!
Not a big fan of the art style, but that typical hero game sunday morning cartoon aesthetic never worked for me in any game... Except for Team Fortress 2 maybe?

Something isn't very clear to me though... You score points by wrekcing other cars right? Not by hitting other players with your car, right? Is that even possible?

EDIT: stoked for my first haptic feedback rumble and adaptive triggers experiences in a racing game!

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Here are the PS5 features according to the store page:
  • Stunning visuals: Has total destruction ever looked this good? Experience the global phenomenon of vehicle-based combat in a crisp dynamic 4K resolution.
  • Fast loading: Mayhem waits for no one! Choose your AllStar and accelerate into the action with the near-instant lightning fast load times of the PS5 console's ultra-high speed SSD.
  • Adaptive triggers: Experience your ride! Get unique feedback for each vehicle thanks to the DualSense™ Wireless Controller's adaptive triggers.
  • Haptic feedback: Wham! Experience the impact of rams and slams as the DualSense™ Wireless Controller's dual actuators simulate the feel of your in-game actions through immersive sensory feedback.
  • Tempest 3D AudioTech on compatible headphones: How the crunch of slamming into an opponent is meant to sound! Hear stunning 360-degree stadium atmospherics with Tempest 3D AudioTech.
Should be a showcase for the hardware.
Can devs actually create so many different kinds of feedback with that triggers? The adaptive trigger is my least favorite feature of Dualsense to me.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
This game weirdly enough REALLY reminds me of titanfall. The game mode with the falling floor looks great. But idk if it'll have staying power. Hope it's successful, might push me to buy a PS5 if so.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I don't believe for a second that Sony intended to only sell this 80 euros at any point. It seems like an easy way to increase PS+ perceived value but with the caveat of misplacing expectations.

Excited to try it in a few days, but I really don't expect much.

Nov 21, 2017
Since the PS5 user base is still small I hope this eventually gets a PC port in the future. It launching on PS+ though gives a great opportunity to start strong though.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's room for a big, Sony-funded Twisted Metal. It's not the kind of IP with much broad appeal, and is stuck in the past. That said, a smaller scope twisted metal with some updates could be fun. I think the IP has crossover potential as well, so seeing it return in some form and maintain relevance would be nice.

Anyway, I mentioned Twisted Metal because Destruction All-stars does have a really unique, fresh kind of aesthetic that I can't really put my finger on. I like it. I think it's unfair to lump it in with Fortnite. The characters are diverse and unique. It should be given a chance to be it's own thing instead of being called out for not being Twisted Metal just because it's an existing franchise in a similar genre.

I really hope the rivalry aspect is fleshed out into multiplayer, even if it's just links to the single player with some quips between characters.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Showed to my friends and they won't be downloading it so my time with it will be very short lived. With that said I'm still curious. At least playing a match. If it doesn't feel good at least $70 wasn't spent on it.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe for a second that Sony intended to only sell this 80 euros at any point. It seems like an easy way to increase PS+ perceived value but with the caveat of misplacing expectations.

Excited to try it in a few days, but I really don't expect much.

Um, I don't think Sony would play games like that with retailers. I had to cancel my pre-order at Best Buy because of the delay and then later news that it was going to be a PS+ title.