• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
One review and an impression somewhere mentioned something about similarities with the "Sims" titles. How accurate is that, because it sounds off putting as hell. Is managing the community really that annoying or is it more like MG Survive/Phantom Pain? I'd rather macro-manage than micromanage.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I'll still play this. But I wonder what's up with all of the bugs considering the pretty long development time. I'm starting to wonder if it's the play anywhere stuff. Or maybe they originally built something else and started over?
I don't think PlayAnywhere adds much overhead? AFAIK it's just a license management thing, the games are still done for their respective platforms. I don't see how floating zombies could be caused by any PlayAnywhere SDK (if there is one?).

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
One review and an impression somewhere mentioned something about similarities with the "Sims" titles. How accurate is that, because it sounds off putting as hell. Is managing the community really that annoying or is it more like MG Survive/Phantom Pain? I'd rather macro-manage than micromanage.
If you are referring to the Giant Bomb podcast - it was Brad's girlfriend watching him play and asking "is this the Sims?"
You can compare it to MGSurvive but in SoD the persons and the standing of the community are much more important to your game.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
If you are referring to the Giant Bomb podcast - it was Brad's girlfriend watching him play and asking "is this the Sims?"
You can compare it to MGSurvive but in SoD the persons and the standing of the community are much more important to your game.
Something like that, and ACG mentioned it quickly but not sure if it was more of a joke. As long as the focus is heavier on the scavenging and base building I'm fine with it.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
I don't think PlayAnywhere adds much overhead? AFAIK it's just a license management thing, the games are still done for their respective platforms. I don't see how floating zombies could be caused by any PlayAnywhere SDK (if there is one?).

Probably not. Xbox is essentially a Windows 10 PC.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Something like that, and ACG mentioned it quickly but not sure if it was more of a joke. As long as the focus is heavier on the scavenging and base building I'm fine with it.
It is but keep in mind you can play as every person in the community, and I suggest to do so since it improves them and you can get some nice skills. Keeping everyone alive and happy is also very important.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well, if you have any questions, feel free to ask, played on Xbox One X and PC, both singleplayer and co-op.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It baffles the hell out of me that Microsoft didn't delay the game again until the bugs had been ironed out by Undead. Yes, smallish team, 5 years in development, delayed already, etc etc - but an unfinished game is an unfinished game.

I'm not sure they can hammer out the bugs its starting to become a trend with this studio. I loved the first game warts and all but I was hoping for more polish this time.

What blows my mind is why did they give this game to streamers knowing the coop was broken. The game needed a beta.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
I'm not sure they can hammer out the bugs its starting to become a trend with this studio. I loved the first game warts and all but I was hoping for more polish this time.

What blows my mind is why did they give this game to streamers knowing the coop was broken. The game needed a beta.
There was supposed to be a beta. Lord knows what happened because it became "it's for future testing" this week which took a lot of people by surprise.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine was more a joke about people losing their mind but having firearms unlike the sims who just go crazy and die a slow death.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately, what's even more annoying than the bugs or graphics or anything else is down to the core gameplay.

This is a quote from the Eurogamer review :

All of that engrossing specificity is soon forgotten, however, because like so many open worlds, State of Decay 2 is much more about things, property and busywork than it is about people. One key problem is that in practice, you are the world's only moving part. Aside from throwing tantrums and randomly producing the odd consumable item, survivors essentially do nothing when not under your control - they won't even shut the base gate to keep the undead out. Their theoretical quirks and desires are mostly apparent in the aggregate, a question of +1 this and -3 that on the community stats screen. Moreover, their lack of agency means that the core problem of securing vital supplies is down to you around the clock, which means you rarely have leisure to consider each character's nuances, such as they are. Instead, you'll burn through them like rechargeable batteries, scraping together all the loot you can with one before leapfrogging to the next.

I would have hoped that with the move to a newer gen they had more refined systems or at least somewhat gave you the illusion that you are a player in a post apocalyptic settings but ultimately nothing happens in the game unless you get involved in every little corner of the world. To me this is more off-putting than any of the other game's issues.

Does anyone know if it's possible to play on both Xbox One and PC at the same time, just with one licence of the game? Essentially you buy the digital version of the ultimate edition, install the game on both console and pc and once it's out you fire it up and do a co-op session?

Last edited:

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Ultimately, what's even more annoying than the bugs or graphics or anything else is down to the core gameplay.

All of that engrossing specificity is soon forgotten, however, because like so many open worlds, State of Decay 2 is much more about things, property and busywork than it is about people. One key problem is that in practice, you are the world's only moving part. Aside from throwing tantrums and randomly producing the odd consumable item, survivors essentially do nothing when not under your control - they won't even shut the base gate to keep the undead out. Their theoretical quirks and desires are mostly apparent in the aggregate, a question of +1 this and -3 that on the community stats screen. Moreover, their lack of agency means that the core problem of securing vital supplies is down to you around the clock, which means you rarely have leisure to consider each character's nuances, such as they are. Instead, you'll burn through them like rechargeable batteries, scraping together all the loot you can with one before leapfrogging to the next.

I would have hoped that with the move to a newer gen they had more refined systems or at least somewhat gave you the illusion that you are a player in a post apocalyptic settings but ultimately nothing happens in the game unless you get involved in every little corner of the world. To me this is more off-putting than any of the other game's issues.
The bolded is not even true. Survivors fight each other and can be found around in the open world.

Bahroo accidentally killed one while driving by slamming them with a card door as she ran away from zombies and he didn't notice it was a survivor until he killed her.

I find the whole Eurogamer review terrible, just look at all the other ones and watch some streams, you aint by far the only moving part. But it might depend on how you define moving part. However I've read more or less all of the reviews so far and Eurogamer is a huge outlier and seems to border more on hyperbole than anything else. Maybe they had a really terrible time and nobody else did.

In addition, everyone seem to focus on the one terrible review from Eurogamer and seem to discard all other other ones which is actually positive and what was expected of the game in what it is.
There is a review thread for this, so there is not much point in dragging the drama here when there is plenty to go around in that thread.

Last edited:

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
How does saving work? Can you save anywhere, eg in the middle of a house full zombies (as an extreme example) or have to be at a base?

No manual save, but you can leave whenever you like, even outside of your base. Not sure if it saves on exit as well, but there is auto save every couple of minutes and if you finished something in-game as well.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game is only $30? Nice. I thought for sure it was $60. May still consider, but I'm still waiting on that beta..

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017

Does anyone know if it's possible to play on both Xbox One and PC at the same time, just with one licence of the game? Essentially you buy the digital version of the ultimate edition, install the game on both console and pc and once it's out you fire it up and do a co-op session?

Well I thought it was partially a lot of stuff going on. You stop listening to the radio messages coming on from random people or just ignore some stuff to get "your" things done at some point. I felt like, give a minute please, I can only do so much at a time. While this is partially nice, at least you won't get bored easily, it can also be kind of annoying at times. I also missed the option to ask survivors of my group to pick up stuff from buildings, might be that I simply missed it though.

About co-op and just one copy, that's not working. I switched quickly from PC to Xbox One X and when I launched the game it told me, that it is already running on another system and if I want to exit it on the other system.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The account that owns the game plays on PC while you use a different account to play on Xbox. That should work.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I thought it was partially a lot of stuff going on. You stop listening to the radio messages coming on from random people or just ignore some stuff to get "your" things done at some point. I felt like, give a minute please, I can only do so much at a time. While this is partially nice, at least you won't get bored easily, it can also be kind of annoying at times. I also missed the option to ask survivors of my group to pick up stuff from buildings, might be that I simply missed it though.

About co-op and just one copy, that's not working. I switched quickly from PC to Xbox One X and when I launched the game it told me, that it is already running on another system and if I want to exit it on the other system.

I'll have to check on my own tomorrow but If I can't do it, I'll ask for a refund of the game, cause it's part of the reason I got SoD2, to play co-op with my son.
I always buy one digital licence of any multiplayer game on PS4 and I can always play with my kids on both the OG PS4 and PRO at the same time, so I thought this was the same case here.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I'll have to check on my own tomorrow but If I can't do it, I'll ask for a refund of the game, cause it's part of the reason I got SoD2, to play co-op with my son.
I always buy one digital licence of any multiplayer game on PS4 and I can always play with my kids on both the OG PS4 and PRO at the same time, so I thought this was the same case here.

As mentioned above, might work with a different account on PC and Xbox, did not check that.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excuse if this has been asked before but can we share this game among several users using the same microsoft account like in the past? Sharing users can play online together on their own accounts once the game is downloaded? Thank you.

I'm buying this game fully trusting Karak's opinion. I did it before with Prey and didn't regret it for a second so I'm pulling the trigger again and see if he can keep the streak :)

Edit: I was reading through the thread and I saw the coop is broken? How is it broken? If it's broken its a dealbreaker for me.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmm that's pretty lame. I thought the flare system worked horribly in Monster Hunter.

Well to be honest, the co-op mode is not really that much fun. You can't walk away far from the host, you can only loot some items and the amount of bugs are a lot higher in multiplayer. Lag, base upgrades/new buildings not showing up properly, doors of cars won't open sometimes (during drive to hit zombies), etc. We had really a lot of smaller issues and stuff we didn't like in co-op.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Well to be honest, the co-op mode is not really that much fun. You can't walk away far from the host, you can only loot some items and the amount of bugs are a lot higher in multiplayer. Lag, base upgrades/new buildings not showing up properly, doors of cars won't open sometimes (during drive to hit zombies), etc. We had really a lot of smaller issues and stuff we didn't like in co-op.

Yeah this sounds like trash. I'm gonna skip.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I find the whole Eurogamer review terrible.

The Eurogamer review seems to be a hit job. As in, it's ridiculously negative to the point of being false, just to get hits. I thought they were above that. For instance, the line "they look like the trackside crowds in Forza and animate like flowerpot men" is total hyperbole. I've been watching the streams, they look and move pretty well. The guy is describing a completely broken game and I'm watching streams where were people are playing for hours with only a couple glitches here and there.

The review thread is the typical extra-special kind of shitshow reserved for Microsoft exclusives that don't get above a 80 Metacritic score. I personally enjoyed State of Decay and this looks like a massively improved version of that. (Disclaimer: I've also enjoyed Halo Master Chief Collection, single and multiplayer and feel like I'm living in a different universe than the people who burned that one at the stake.)

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
Like what?
New update didn't seem to do anything to the store on my end.

Something must've gotten corrupted or damaged on my end: Apps like Mail don't work despite adding my account numerous times, Windows Store lagging my entire system to the point that music would stutter, and the download starts for a bit then just stops abruptly.

I've used the troubleshooter they have and I'm still having issues. Had no issues prior to the new creator's update or whatever came in April. I'll figure it out, though.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
The Eurogamer review seems to be a hit job. As in, it's ridiculously negative to the point of being false, just to get hits. I thought they were above that. For instance, the line "they look like the trackside crowds in Forza and animate like flowerpot men" is total hyperbole. I've been watching the streams, they look and move pretty well. The guy is describing a completely broken game and I'm watching streams where were people are playing for hours with only a couple glitches here and there.

The review thread is the typical extra-special kind of shitshow reserved for Microsoft exclusives that don't get above a 80 Metacritic score. I personally enjoyed State of Decay and this looks like a massively improved version of that. (Disclaimer: I've also enjoyed Halo Master Chief Collection, single and multiplayer and feel like I'm living in a different universe than the people who burned that one at the stake.)
Yeah. I actually liked MCC too, flaws and all and I even started playing the Campaign with someone from the Destiny community on GAF and had an absolute blast.
I'm quite honestly not sure what people expected, having spent days watching multiple streamers I've not seen anything that's actually game breaking or even remotely close to EGs ""review"" and the worst of it all is, EVERYONE, literally EVERYONE keeps posting it and it's as full of hyperbole and false/not entirely true statements as can be. I haven't seen anyone reflect even close to the same as they did, but whatever. I stopped caring about the stupid numbers long ago because they don't reflect or dictate the enjoyment a game can give but that EG one is full on yikes and made me a bit, eh, upset, for the lack of a better word at the moment.

What's going on the in review thread is best leave it there, it's going just as expected and even over the expected line into posts of the last few years with theories and garbage posts.

I'm more hyped than ever for the game, going to be a blast for sure.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Something must've gotten corrupted or damaged on my end: Apps like Mail don't work despite adding my account numerous times, Windows Store lagging my entire system to the point that music would stutter, and the download starts for a bit then just stops abruptly.

I've used the troubleshooter they have and I'm still having issues. Had no issues prior to the new creator's update or whatever came in April. I'll figure it out, though.
You can try using the "wsreset" program or the powershell command and see if the store is corrupt. It solved a issue I had installing something once.

PS Command;
Code:
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Gonna take a little while for it to finish but did the trick :)

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I ran into the exact same bugs. The worst for me is making it unable to finish my playthrough, my legacy goals aren't showing up.

But the game is just so damn fun regularly despite its buggy issues. I really enjoyed my time with it and will be sinking 10s more hours in for sure. I debated on how hard to knock it for the bugs but at the end of the day I had a blast with it.

I wonder why undead labs can't seem to hammer out bugs? The original game had a small team so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and state of decay is one of my favorite games.

Small bugs I can live with but game breaking bugs that stop you from finishing the game is inexcusable. I hoped with that Microsoft money they would actually have decent QA and release a polished product.

I still I can't wait to play tonight at midnight but man this is disappointing. I hope I don't regret dropping 50$ on this game. I should have known when the devs had no idea about the beta that something was off.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I wonder why undead labs can't seem to hammer out bugs? The original game had a small team so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and state of decay is one of my favorite games.

Small bugs I can live with but game breaking bugs that stop you from finishing the game is inexcusable. I hoped with that Microsoft money they would actually have decent QA and release a polished product.

I still I can't wait to play tonight at midnight but man this is disappointing. I hope I don't regret dropping 50$ on this game. I should have known when the devs had no idea about the beta that something was off.

I also thought the same thing. The team do seem to struggle with bugs, but there's so many systems going on which all intermingle. It's odd, usually in most games that would be a killer for me but the game isn't structured like most. 'Completing' the game isn't really what it's about. I mean I'm peeved I can't get my leader perk and carry over some of my survivors, but I've had fun throughout my entire playthrough. I'm really looking forward to helping friends out in coop next week.

I just hope they keep the patches, support and content coming pretty regularly.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
I also thought the same thing. The team do seem to struggle with bugs, but there's so many systems going on which all intermingle. It's odd, usually in most games that would be a killer for me but the game isn't structured like most. 'Completing' the game isn't really what it's about. I mean I'm peeved I can't get my leader perk and carry over some of my survivors, but I've had fun throughout my entire playthrough. I'm really looking forward to helping friends out in coop next week.

I just hope they keep the patches, support and content coming pretty regularly.
Haha I'm getting it early and my friend will wait for 22nd for his access so I will be gearing up and learning and then hop on and help him once he gets access.

And you're right, the jank kinda feels right at home in the game.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait for you all to start sharing clips of your play time. My time with State of Decay included some of the craziest things that ever happened to me in a game.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Hmmm that's pretty lame. I thought the flare system worked horribly in Monster Hunter.

What else did you expect? That is WAY more than I would have guessed.
Don't forget people. This is not an MMO, this is not a multiplayer game in general. It's still a fleshed out, full blown single player experience with an optional mode to get a friend into your world. That you even can get random people into your world is complete bonus. That's not what the game is about and it's surprising that they even have such an option.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
The bolded is not even true. Survivors fight each other and can be found around in the open world.

Bahroo accidentally killed one while driving by slamming them with a card door as she ran away from zombies and he didn't notice it was a survivor until he killed her.

I find the whole Eurogamer review terrible, just look at all the other ones and watch some streams, you aint by far the only moving part. But it might depend on how you define moving part. However I've read more or less all of the reviews so far and Eurogamer is a huge outlier and seems to border more on hyperbole than anything else. Maybe they had a really terrible time and nobody else did.

In addition, everyone seem to focus on the one terrible review from Eurogamer and seem to discard all other other ones which is actually positive and what was expected of the game in what it is.
There is a review thread for this, so there is not much point in dragging the drama here when there is plenty to go around in that thread.

I think they might be referring to your own survivor community. It was my biggest gripe about State of Decay 1 as well. I want to be able to assign my survivors to do things and be productive. Instead, the onus falls on the player to basically do everything, switching characters for their skill set or stamina. It felt less like I was managing a community, and more like each survivor was a different suit to wear.

But correct me if I'm wrong, I only played a couple hours of SoD 1 and it was a while ago. I want to give it another shot some time, to see if it clicks with me this time.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
I think they might be referring to your own survivor community. It was my biggest gripe about State of Decay 1 as well. I want to be able to assign my survivors to do things and be productive. Instead, the onus falls on the player to basically do everything, switching characters for their skill set or stamina. It felt less like I was managing a community, and more like each survivor was a different suit to wear.

But correct me if I'm wrong, I only played a couple hours of SoD 1 and it was a while ago. I want to give it another shot some time, to see if it clicks with me this time.
I mean, base management is one thing, but say zombies come along the survivors will attack and shoot at them, even doing takedowns on specials in your base.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, base management is one thing, but say zombies come along the survivors will attack and shoot at them, even doing takedowns on specials in your base.

Sure, but if you put down your controller and do not actively do anything, the other survivors largely won't either. And that's the point I think, where everything revolves around you doing things. Nothing gets done without you actively doing it. You can't form a group of survivors to take on a mission without you. You have to lead that group of survivors on the mission. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: This is just my take from that review, because it's something that bothered me about the first game. But carry on with the OT, I don't want to derail the thread by talking about what I wanted the game to be, rather than what the game is.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
What else did you expect? That is WAY more than I would have guessed.
Don't forget people. This is not an MMO, this is not a multiplayer game in general. It's still a fleshed out, full blown single player experience with an optional mode to get a friend into your world. That you even can get random people into your world is complete bonus. That's not what the game is about and it's surprising that they even have such an option.

I literally just want to select multiplayer, wait 1-2 minutes for a lobby of 4 players to fill up, then go out together.