• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So this story kinda blew up this week and the devs finally responded yesterday and it's made for a kind of fascinating tweet thread of how this whole thing happened and how they've fixed it.

You can read the gist of the story (and it's resolution) at the link below but I'll summarise it too. Skip to the bottom for the TL;DR.

www.pcgamer.com

State Of Decay 2 dev apologises for confusion surrounding the game's Nazi-punching trait

"We think it's better overall for no one to think of it as a negative trait ever again."

So State of Decay 2 has traits that each procedurally generated charcter in the game is given. Some are positive, some are negative. There are a lot of them. Like, 1,300 different traits a lot.

You can have the Halo Champion trait, which means you have a bonus to shooting. You can have the Food Allergies trait that means you have lower health (because allergies I guess) but you have a bonus to cooking (because you're character has had to learn to cook for themselves throughout their life). Or the Uncomfortable at Parties trait, which is definitely the one I actually have.

So, while live-tweeting a playthrough of the game, game developer James Seow came across a character with the trait Punched Nazis trait which the game was translating as giving his character a negative bonus because they were 'Irritable towards other people'. Hmmmm.

EugLLO8UcAImaEc

James tweeted his disbelief at Nazi Punching being included in the game as a negative trait and was apparently blocked by the studio's Twitter account. You can see how this started to snowball.

So, yes, Undead Labs finally got back to James about the trait, about the ban and how it all happened and here's their side...

First, James was apparently banned by their Twitter account due to an auto-ban listening software that they had installed to filter out 'offensive terms and inflammatory launguage aimed at the channel', which James' numerous tweets about 'NAZI SHIT' was presumably triggering.

Secondly, they went into the whole situation about how this trait being viewed as negative happened and also talked about how they're hotfixing it, making Nazi punching forever a positive trait, which it obviously should definitely be. You can read the full Tweet thread below (i'm not going to embed it all).

Kotaku also wrote about the story and I've cut out a section of their article to summarise the reasons and the hotfix.

In subsequent tweets shared yesterday, Undead Labs explained that the "Punched Nazis" trait was never meant to be presented in a wholly negative light, as it also gives survivors increased fighting experience and makes them "more likely to argue passionately for their beliefs," the latter of which was accidentally altered with the addition of new game mechanics.

"When the Morale system arrived, it simplified our original nuanced concept of 'characters arguing for their beliefs' into a basic negative Morale effect, representing discord in the community," Undead Labs wrote. "So today, this trait has a positive skill bonus and red text in the UI due to the likelihood of arguing. It's been that way for years and we never realized how confusing that looks until tonight (it's not common, and we have over 1300 traits)."

Undead Labs plans to rectify this issue in a future hotfix by removing the negative effect currently associated with the "Punched Nazis" trait, turning it into the positive personality indicator it was always meant to be. Survivors will still get a boost to their fighting experience, but rightly won't be regarded as nuisances by the community for having stood up to white supremacists.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Really appreciate them explaining how the trait got colored in a way that made it appear Nazi-positive. Its really interesting

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Really appreciate them explaining how the trait got colored in a way that made it appear Nazi-positive. Its really interesting

Right? I'm used to apologies from devs but I actually spent ages reading their breakdown of what happened and why. Thought it was kind of fascinating.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I said it in the original thread that it was side eye worthy and it was, but I'm glad to see that they fixed it and are taking care of business as well as making a case for why sometimes a side eye, but not full on hatred is needed.

Questioning something can lead to a positive change and glad to see it happened here.

Oct 26, 2017
I for one am surprised that Twitter once again isn't proving a viable platform for nuanced criticism and merely thrives off hot takes and over simplified quips.
Good on the Devs for clearing it up regardless and taking further steps making sure their message is clear.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Now we can look at the replies to these tweets and see what fine Twitter users have decided to take their masks off and complain about punching nazis being (rightfully) seen as a good thing.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
didn't something similair happen with watch dogs 3 where the randomly generated characters were getting questionable ones put together.

Jul 10, 2020

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I had wondered about the "affects skills" part of it when the screenshot first came around. Haven't played in a while so I wasn't sure. Basically what the devs now explained. So the person throwing a fit didn't understand the UI (or at least dig into that part since it's hidden).

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I was worried about this in the last thread but it really did end up being an interesting read with a happy ending. Nice

Oct 27, 2017
I figured there was no way they were actually trying to bury the guy. Had no idea about that kind of software and now it makes more sense.

Happy ending all around!

punch.gif

except for CNN's "Most Dashing Nazi 2016" Richard Spencer I guess

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the clear post on the issue, the last thread was really hard for me to follow and it took quite a bit to fully understand what the issue was. Glad to see devs doing something

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I figured there was no way they were actually trying to bury the guy. Had no idea about that kind of software and now it makes more sense.

Happy ending all around!

punch.gif

except for CNN's "Most Dashing Nazi 2016" Richard Spencer I guess
Did anything ever happen to that nazi punching hero?

I did a quick search and found nothing, looks like he flew off into the sunset.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The person who flagged this should not be called out.

I'm not exactly into respectability politics or whatever the term is but Jesus God when I saw several tweets of one guy yelling NAZI SHIT flood my timeline my eyes glazed over.

Still good he pointed it out ofc

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who used to go to and play in a band at a lot of punk shows back and the day, definitely dig the backstory, lol.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good on James Seow in pointing this confusion out and the developers are willing to make changes to make it clear. I got worried when he had been blocked, thinking the developers went into defensive mode.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing to apologise for. People were just looking for an argument and bent over backward to twist the intention into a pro-Nazi move.

If you think someone who was pro-Nazi would refer explicitly to "punching Nazis" you're not thinking critically.

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone with half a brain could see from a mile off that this whole thing was just unlucky RNG stuff instead of anything actively malicious on behalf of the game developers. There are a lot of people in that other thread who should be extremely embarrassed right now. Like lupinko who's contribution was "Maybe the devs are probably Nazis or Nazi sympathizers, so who knows."

Then we have this take from Heliex: "Xbox will absolutely not care. theyre more than happy sweeping this under the rug as they do."
Cyanity helpfully chimed in with "Based on the devs blocking that guy on Twitter without acknowledging the issue at all, I'm gonna go with "the devs are nazi fucks"

I could probably go through that thread and pick out a load more juicy hot takes from people. I've been temporarily banned from this site by mods deciding they don't like what I have to say enough times that i don't feel the need to contribute anymore but i wanted to come out of my self imposed exile just this once to point out that this kind of overblown, reactionary nonsense is the kind of thing that gives Resetera such a horrible reputation. Next time something like this happens, sit down, take a breath, engage brain and have a little bit of a think before you start calling people "nazi fucks". Watch me now get banned for this, honestly just go ahead and make it permanent this time, i'm cool with that.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone with half a brain could see from a mile off that this whole thing was just unlucky RNG stuff instead of anything actively malicious on behalf of the game developers. There are a lot of people in that other thread who should be extremely embarrassed right now. Like lupinko who's contribution was "Maybe the devs are probably Nazis or Nazi sympathizers, so who knows."

Then we have this take from Heliex: "Xbox will absolutely not care. theyre more than happy sweeping this under the rug as they do."
Cyanity helpfully chimed in with "Based on the devs blocking that guy on Twitter without acknowledging the issue at all, I'm gonna go with "the devs are nazi fucks"

I could probably go through that thread and pick out a load more juicy hot takes from people. I've been temporarily banned from this site by mods deciding they don't like what I have to say enough times that i don't feel the need to contribute anymore but i wanted to come out of my self imposed exile just this once to point out that this kind of overblown, reactionary nonsense is the kind of thing that gives Resetera such a horrible reputation. Next time something like this happens, sit down, take a breath, engage brain and have a little bit of a think before you start calling people "nazi fucks". Watch me now get banned for this, honestly just go ahead and make it permanent this time, i'm cool with that.
So brave 🙏

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande

lmao

you dropped this đź‘‘