• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
See you next year (with the new Dragon Age trailer) that reads like to me. Nothing much to show in 2022 I reckon, going by that message.
While DA4 is definitely a 2023-2024 title, they have confirmed that we'll see more of it in 2022. I would be surprised if we didn't get anything for E3 or maybe TGA.

While it is understandable that ME5 and DA4 are gonna take a while before they are ready, and they should take as much time as they need, I do wish we would get 60fps patches for DA:I and MEA in the meantime. I would love to replay these games, but the prospect of doing it with 30fps on current gen hardware just isn't as appealing.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they understand and candidly discuss the need to rebuild their reputation and trust with fans/community is an important starting point. I wish them luck.

I have to say chinks were starting to show with ME3 and DA Inquisition.

Despite it all Dragon Age Inquisition was the winner of many game of the year awards.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age's team is going to go in hard to assist with Mass Effect after their game is out, but these are two separate teams overall.

Just checking, you know that, right?
I know. But considering the sudden shift in DA4's direction, I wouldn't be surprised if Mass Effect team atm was just a very small group of people doing the pre-production and figuring out the core pillars of ME5 while everyone else helps rebuild DA4 into a single player focused RPG. I imagine after the work is done on DA4, ME team (alongside the majority of DA team except for the people working on pre-production of DA5 and DLCs for DA4) will shift their focus to full development of ME5.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I legitimately don't know why you think they're capable of righting the ship after reading all the articles about Anthem.
To be fair Anthem was a game in a tricky genre that even the people who created the genre managed to mess up, and a genre which has seen a lot of other companies also try and fail to reproduce.

Making another single player RPG should be a much simpler goal for BioWare (though the horrible mismanagement certainly doesn't help).

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Terrified for the future of these guys, but they nailed ME LE (as they should have being a remaster).

If they actually pull off DA4 and ME4 and they are even simply just "good" games, I think BioWare is safe (and possibly back!).

Otherwise may take a walk with Papa EA...

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
Still clambering on fan excitement of a trilogy of games that are 10 yrs old.

Harsh but not wrong. If they learned anything from previous gen of snoozefests, it should be that a narrative ARPG doesn't work if the world is soulless and the plethora of mechanics crammed in aren't polished/useful. Work with smaller, denser worlds and pare combat mechanics back until you have a satisfying and meaningful role for them.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
I legitimately don't know why you think they're capable of righting the ship after reading all the articles about Anthem.

most of people who made Anthem a mess are gone.
new leadership is in place, new culture being worked on, back to roots mentality with ME Trilogy and SP focus.

i have faith, Capcom managed to come back, Bioware can, their IPs are special.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yikes, reading this thread. I swear this forum is awful with wanting studios to die for no real discernible reason :/

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
I know. But considering the sudden shift in DA4's direction, I wouldn't be surprised if Mass Effect team atm was just a very small group of people doing the pre-production and figuring out the core pillars of ME5 while everyone else helps rebuild DA4 into a single player focused RPG. I imagine after the work is done on DA4, ME team (alongside the majority of DA team except for the people working on pre-production of DA5 and DLCs for DA4) will shift their focus to full development of ME5.

i would think two separated teams means two separated teams overall, not a small pre production team for ME and a big ass team for DA. i think Bioware is big enough to have two full teams into full production for both games.
Of course once the first of the two ships, the team will go help the game that's not launched yet.

Yikes, reading this thread. I swear this forum is awful with wanting studios to die for no real discernible reason :/

none other than be snarky, people love a comeback story but only once it's done.
Bioware being alive and well releasing good games with their catalogue of IPs is very good for the games industry and the cities they have offices at, you know, providing jobs for hundreds and hundreds of people.

Jan 9, 2018
Hopefully EA gives them time to breath and focus on nailing dragon age and then they can ride off that for a while and give them more time to do a big return for mass effect

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
i would think two separated teams means two separated teams overall, not a small pre production team for ME and a big ass team for DA. i think Bioware is big enough to have two full teams into full production for both games.
Of course once the first of the two ships, the team will go help the game that's not launched yet.
As we've seen from reports on the development of DAI, MEA and Anthem, even tho Bioware does have separate teams for their projects, once they get to the final stretch of one of their big projects (or if a project is thoroughly on fire in case of Anthem and MEA), all their teams will essentially be hands on deck for said project until it comes out.

Since they have to repurpose DA4 from a GaaS focused title to a single player RPG, I imagine most of Bioware teams right now are focused on doing that and delivering a quality single player RPG with big production values on a big scale. Hence why I'm guessing Mass Effect 5 is probably just a small team for now until 2023-2024 when DA4 (hopefully) releases in a satisfactory state.