• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Nirvana and Green Day have been on the classic rock station here in Houston for awhile now.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
.....oh, for fuck's sake. This is gonna be like when I tuned in to Nick at Nite recently, remembering it being nothing but '50s-'70s classic TV only to find out their definition of "classic" is now Friends and other '90s shit.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've been hearing Seattle Four music on classic rock stations here since like... 2015?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
.....oh, for fuck's sake. This is gonna be like when I tuned in to Nick at Nite recently, remembering it being nothing but '50s-'70s classic TV only to find out their definition of "classic" is now Friends and other '90s shit.

That's been the case for a good 15 years. Especially since they spun off TV Land to be Nick-at-Nite 24/7 (and then TV Land was overtaken by that as well, though they still play the 50s-70s classics during daytime slots).

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I thought the point of demarcation was 30 years. Maybe it was 20.

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule like that. Certainly, classic rock stations will play whatever is old enough to make their listeners happy and not new enough to turn their listeners off. In other words, whatever will make them money.

Also, people are older than they realize. It's happened more than once that someone expressed shock that Nirvana was on a classic rock station and I had to point out that Nevermind came out over 25 years ago.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
That's been the case for a good 15 years. Especially since they spun off TV Land to be Nick-at-Nite 24/7 (and then TV Land was overtaken by that as well, though they still play the 50s-70s classics during daytime slots).

Damn, it's really been that long? When I was younger I used to fall asleep to the old shows or use them as background noise, they were like comfort food. I think MeTV still shows them, but their schedule is pretty random.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Damn, it's really been that long? When I was younger I used to fall asleep to the old shows or use them as background noise, they were like comfort food. I think MeTV still shows them, but their schedule is pretty random.

Yes, if you don't have satellite (or if you do have satellite but also have an antenna). MeTV is like 90s Nick at Nite, and Laff TV shows the rejects from cable reruns of 80s-00's shows, which can make it pretty good. Late 2016 I went without cable for a while and got into Night Court from Laff TV.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Yes, if you don't have satellite (or if you do have satellite but also have an antenna). MeTV is like 90s Nick at Nite, and Laff TV shows the rejects from cable reruns of 80s-00's shows, which can make it pretty good. Late 2016 I went without cable for a while and got into Night Court from Laff TV.

I'll have to look up Laff TV when I get home. I love Night Court so much.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
90's rock has been classic rock for years now. Kind of like when it was the 90's and music from the 70's was on classic rock station.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When I was on vacation in New Zealand they'd call music from the 90s "Highschool Hits", which I much preferred to "classic".

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
Hell I remember watching The Wonder Years on Nick at Nite when I was a tyke in the 90's, though, given the subject of the show, that might've been a special case.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Depends what you consider "classic rock" I'd say. Personally, I consider any rock before the 90s to be called "classic rock" even though anything from 2000 is technically classic. I consider that an era rather than a definition.

Like the term "old school hip-hop." Personally anything from the 80s and 90s I'd throw in there. I wouldn't throw Nelly in with Country Grammar even though it released in 2000 because he's from a different era than the classic boom bap.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it is. this is now classic rock and there's nothing David Crosby can do to stop it

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Years ago. Classic Rockk stations has been playing PJ, Nirvana, GNR, etc.... For years

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I will never consider 90s rock to be classic rock. Neither will I consider most 80s rock to be classic rock. For me, the standard is still 60s-maybe 81-82? Everything else from the 80s is basically AOR, Alternative and you various sub-genres of Metal. Grunge is Grunge, and will always be just that. Hell, some of the artists in Grunge and Alternative might even take offense in being homogenized into a big banner. Punk, Alternative and Grunge were pretty much a counter-culture musical movement against more mainstream stuff like rock of the 70s and 80s (classic rock, AOR and Hair Metal) and pop. At least that's how I see it.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
growing up i kinda internalized "classic rock" to mean "rock from the 60s and 70s." Any more recent than that and I start just calling it by its scene/subgenre. even if classic rock radio stations have started playing different decades as part of their business model, i'd still only ever call grunge bands or hair metal or whatever by those more specific terms.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I saw a lady driving around in a Firebird with a "Crazy Bitch" sticker on her back windshield and her license plate was "BKCHRRY". She's well on her way to classic status now, fuck...

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
In the 90s the classic rock stations were playing way more 70s music than 60s, so starting tomorrow classic rock is Limp Bizkit and Blink 182.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really listened to any classic rock stations (or the radio in general) since like 2008 or so, but even then Nirvana and other early 90s acts were fully in the rotation.

Oct 25, 2017
So what stations play CCR and Seals & Croft if not classic rock stations, because I'll kill myself if I hear them in the same rotation as Green Day and Tool.