• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Probably, but we need to see what the reaction is to second generation characters. Would a Cap 4 with Mackie and an Ironheart film do big numbers? If so then this will go on for a while.

This next phase is a bit weak on big names but people are so thirsty to get back to the theater that I think it'll get big numbers behind it. I hope the films themselves are reward that energy with good quality.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Probably, but we need to see what the reaction is to second generation characters. Would a Cap 4 with Mackie and an Ironheart film do big numbers? If so then this will go on for a while.

This next phase is a bit weak on big names but people are so thirsty to get back to the theater that I think it'll get big numbers behind it. I hope the films themselves are reward that energy with good quality.
The main cast of MCU phase 1 were a bunch of "Who?" actors for the most part lol

Also I'd check the popularity of FatWS: a Mackie led Cap 4 is going to do some serious numbers. I also feel like Ironheart will be insanely popular. How many black female teenage superhero led properties do we have?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
All the big battles are just CGI then they splice in some actual footage of the heroes pressing their non-existent ear piece and chatting then back to cgi. If the entire thing was CGI I doubt anyone would care.
The environments are mostly CG during the big battles, sure, but the heroes themselves are usually real physically there doing what you see, maybe enhanced a bit but physically present. Even the final fight in Endgame was mostly real actors on set for the good guys, just not all filmed at the same time.

Check this out, how much of it was CGI and how much wasn't - this is the most complete VFX breakdown I've seen:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

They try not to do CG for actual people when possible because it's really expensive and time consuming to do it well. The Hulk for example took 11 VFX houses in Endgame (and of course still required motion capture for most of what he did)

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is 2100.

We have Hologram technology in our iPhone 1000's
We have flying cars AND jetpacks.
We have Half-Life 8.

But we still don't have an Alpha Flight movie.

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
I disagree. The writing is becoming increasingly awful. I would imagine casual fans/viewers will begin to tune it out over-time, assuming it remains trash tier.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I disagree. The writing is becoming increasingly awful. I would imagine casual fans/viewers will begin to tune it out over-time, assuming it remains trash tier.
That's a nice little fan fiction you've got going in your head man. I enjoy to continue to see you being proven wrong. I might even save this for posterity...

Oct 30, 2017
Anecdotally the ten and under crowd doesn't seem super into it but I think Disney+ will help with the ease of accessibility.

I sure as hell ain't putting my children through two hundred plus hours of backstory to catch them up.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Iron Man 1 is already a creaky relic of 2008 and the Forever War, and that's before Jeff Bridges shows up riding a fucking Segway. The franchise will carry on for a good while, but we're rapidly approaching a point at which new viewers are going to skip the first few phases.

There's no real basis for this conclusion at all.

(And considering we're in Phase 4, "skipping the first few phases" doesn't really make sense.)

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Iron Man 1 is already a creaky relic of 2008 and the Forever War, and that's before Jeff Bridges shows up riding a fucking Segway. The franchise will carry on for a good while, but we're rapidly approaching a point at which new viewers are going to skip the first few phases.
Conversely I know multiple people who just got into the movies recently that consider IM1 the best of all the movies.

I don't know if they'll be able to keep up with 50 years of 3-4 movies a year, but I wouldn't be surprised if the MCU survives for that long in some form, even with a small break or two.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm now of the opinion that the X-Men reboot will likely start as a series on Disney+. Much easier to flesh out so many characters over the course of a series rather than cramming it all into a 2 hour film. Certain characters may get standalone films for the origin story, perhaps, but I think an X-Men film comes AFTER a Disney+ series introducing the characters.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm now of the opinion that the X-Men reboot will likely start as a series on Disney+. Much easier to flesh out so many characters over the course of a series rather than cramming it all into a 2 hour film. Certain characters may get standalone films for the origin story, perhaps, but I think an X-Men film comes AFTER a Disney+ series introducing the characters.
We might get a Wolverine series happen. That the only one I see working as stand alone.

Because the truth is much like the Fantastic Four, the X-Men are a team first.

Avengers builds to that team up because in the comics they were all individual characters that became a team due to circumstance.

The X-Men were recruited by Xavier and pulled together to be trained as a team first. The threats were to come later.

Just like I don't expect a Reed Richards Disney+ series I don't expect the individual X-Men to get their own shows until they are pulled together and established.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Endgame has to be the peak, right? It might still be successful but I find it hard to imagine them having the biggest movie ever, again.

I'm curious to see if they ever have another 2 billion+ movie.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
X-Men and a competently done Fantastic 4 can drive successful movies for another 20+ years. The original X-men movie was released 20 years ago. It's not hard to imagine Disney at least matching the number of X-men films Fox released over that span.

The key is going to be whether Marvel can capture that same lightning in a bottle that gave us RDJ as Iron Man and Evans as Cap. The MCU will be set to continue printing money if Disney can get actors/actresses with that same screen presence and pull to carry some cornerstone movies through future phases.

With Disney+ existing, I don't think the "barrier to entry" of catching up with the old movies really matters. You already have a gigantic audience that made it through Endgame. Plenty more will want to catch up so they can be a part of the cultural zeitgeist after seeing all the hype that surrounded IW + Endgame.

One thing I could see slowing the train considerably is if several of the D+ shows end up performing badly. If that happens, people may decide that the time investment of all the shows + the movies isn't worth it anymore.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I am sure it will still be around in some capacity for a very long time.

But I dunno about 3-4 MCU movies every year for the next 50 years though.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame has to be the peak, right? It might still be successful but I find it hard to imagine them having the biggest movie ever, again.

As long as they don't try and rush in to another huge movie like, say, DC would, I think it could happen. If they put another decade long lead up to a big event movie like infinity war- endgame was a similar culmination.

If they try and do it in two years from now though, it'll peter out.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

I've said it before, I don't know how you top Infinity War and that ending or raise the stakes.

Endgame rode that ending with an insane and unique marketing campaign to being unlike anything else. I don't even know if Marvel and Disney predicted it and Infinity War would be as big as they were.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

I've said it before, I don't know how you top Infinity War and that ending or raise the stakes.

Endgame rode that ending with an insane and unique marketing campaign to being unlike anything else. I don't even know if Marvel and Disney predicted it and Infinity War would be as big as they were.
An adaptation of Secret Wars with the destruction of the Marvel multiverse and Doctor Doom's pocket universe could be massive if done right.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Things are going to get mad crazy in 20 years when Disney has perfected the CGI character tech that they used for Moff Tarkin in Rogue One. They'll just straight up bring prime age Chris Evans and RDJ back for event movies.

Jun 20, 2018
I definitely feel like franchise fatigue for the mainstream is inevitable. It's great they have a lot of stuff back now, so they can keep things fresh with new characters, but people will get bored. By the end of 2021 they will have more movies than the Bond franchise which has been going for 60 years.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Are you seriously saying Westerns have the same level of versatility as superheroes?

I mean, they do. Westerns have covered just about every variation under the sun, from action films to musicals to art films and comedies. They even cross over with superheroes (what is Zorro if not a superhero?)

I don't think superheroes last nearly as long as OP, but I'm just clarifying. Westerns by the time they went out of style weren't incorporating a bunch of cool shit like cowboys fighting aliens or Weird West-style stuff. If they were it certainly wasn't with big budget actors.

They literally made a movie called "Cowboys & Aliens "

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
I'm just happy that in 50 years I'll be able to say I saw the OG MCU movies in theatre.

Even if there is a long gap between movies like Star Wars, MCU will definitely be active in the next few decades.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they do. Westerns have covered just about every variation under the sun, from action films to musicals to art films and comedies. They even cross over with superheroes (what is Zorro if not a superhero?)

They literally made a movie called "Cowboys & Aliens "

This is long, long after cowboys stopped being popular though. When they were at their hottest, you weren't getting the biggest actors in Hollywood to do anything but your basic Western.

Oct 25, 2017
They will resort to completely digital versions of all the actors, they've pretty much started already. Living and otherwise.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
really depends on audiences, if they get bored of these movies and shows, theyll take a break and if that doesnt work i can see a complete reset. but were talking like 15+ yrs away at the absolute soonest for even just the beginning of that.

honestly feel like its more likely disney tries to reboot star wars before marvel.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the superhero/comic book movie genre is going anywhere, it will have ups and downs but it will stay around for good.

I mean Batman 1989 is now like over 30 years old as I mentioned and was basically the BIG movie of the late 1980s. The genre dipped for a little bit because Batman & Robin sucked really badly, but then it started to uptick again with the success of the X-Men, Blade movies and Spider-Man in 2002 totally trounced Star Wars Attack of the Clones creating a new superhero surge.

Then comes Batman Begins and the MCU.

This is bigger than Fiege/MCU, there's easily 70 years worth of back material to mine by this point anyway.

There will be Marvel films and Batman movies and Superman movies 30/40 years from now.

It will never stop, Batman basically already proves this, the character is 80+ years old but the modern film lineage spans back 30+ years and things like The Joker and the new Batman movie are all going to do monstrous box office. You can just keep rebooting the character over and over again.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced that in 50 years, there will already be another big ass franchise that has taken over mainstream attention.
Whether the MCU still continues or not, I doubt the hype for it will still be the same by that time.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the superhero/comic book movie genre is going anywhere, it will have ups and downs but it will stay around for good.

I mean Batman 1989 is now like over 30 years old as I mentioned and was basically the BIG movie of the late 1980s. The genre dipped for a little bit because Batman & Robin sucked really badly, but then it started to uptick again with the success of the X-Men, Blade movies and Spider-Man in 2002 totally trounced Star Wars Attack of the Clones creating a new superhero surge.

Then comes Batman Begins and the MCU.

This is bigger than Fiege/MCU, there's easily 70 years worth of back material to mine by this point anyway.

There will be Marvel films and Batman movies and Superman movies 30/40 years from now.

It will never stop, Batman basically already proves this, the character is 80+ years old but the modern film lineage spans back 30+ years and things like The Joker and the new Batman movie are all going to do monstrous box office. You can just keep rebooting the character over and over again.
Agree. I said how MCU used old characters and made them fresh, this is basically what DC has been doing forever.

Will be interesting to see what the MCU does going forward tho. Like someone said....will it ever have another Infinity War/End Game moment?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
There will always be new generations of kids and adults who look back on earlier eras with nostalgia. Put in the xmen in five years and you already have at least another decade worth of stories.

MCU might change in format and there might be a soft reboot at some point. 50 years is a long time, but then again I never expected the Dragonball from my childhood to just going on and on after almost 4 decades and that wasn't even planned out.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree. I said how MCU used old characters and made them fresh, this is basically what DC has been doing forever.

Will be interesting to see what the MCU does going forward tho. Like someone said....will it ever have another Infinity War/End Game moment?

I think it can yes. If you look at Batman for a while it looked like Batman '89 was the peak, and Batman '89 in some ways honestly pop culture wise was even crazier than Avengers.

You could not walk down the street anywhere in North America or the UK without seeing someone, many/most of them grown adults wearing a Batman logo. The Prince music video was on constant rotation on MTV. Brad Pitt circa 1989:

EEq8VbNXsAACnBj.jpg

But then like almost twenty years later, The Dark Knight became another "peak" for comic book movies, right? And Spider-Man 2002 was supposed to be a peak also. But the genre continually has new peaks all the time.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced that in 50 years, there will already be another big ass franchise that has taken over mainstream attention.
Whether the MCU still continues or not, I doubt the hype for it will still be the same by that time.

There will be other franchises that go big, and eventually the MCU will be 'for boomers', but star wars has sustained itself on the legacy of a few good movies from four decades ago. There doesn't need to be excessive hype for it to remain around and be a routinely billion dollar money maker.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Things are going to get mad crazy in 20 years when Disney has perfected the CGI character tech that they used for Moff Tarkin in Rogue One. They'll just straight up bring prime age Chris Evans and RDJ back for event movies.
It'll be easier than that actually. Just pay them like a gajillion dollars to appear in Secret Wars or whatever then use de-aging effects. That's simpler than reacreating an actor wholecloth.

De-aging is already pretty good. It'll probably be nearly perfect in 20 years.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Making these sorts of pronouncements about pop culture half a century from now is incredibly myopic.

I'm not even sure superhero movies will still be as big as they are then, let alone Marvel movies, let alone the current iteration of the Marvel universe.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It'll be easier than that actually. Just pay them like a gajillion dollars to appear in Secret Wars or whatever then use de-aging effects. That's simpler than reacreating an actor wholecloth.

De-aging is already pretty good. It'll probably be nearly perfect in 20 years.
In 50 years, then. They'll be able to use these characters long after the actors are dead with very little issue.