• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
My diet is fine I dont drink soda to begin with but....okay my diet sucks at night time now. I just need ....something that will keep me full from the evening to the morning .

Diet is all that matters. It's not like you're extraordinarily overweight for your height but if you want to lose weight, consume less calories - it's as simple as that. Everyone underestimates exactly how difficult it is to burn calories. Even if you work out intensively (and most people don't), a single workout might burn roughly 4-500 calories. That's roughly two chocolate bars worth of calories - basically nothing in the scheme of daily, let alone weekly, calorie consumption.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
My diet is fine I dont drink soda to begin with but....okay my diet sucks at night time now. I just need ....something that will keep me full from the evening to the morning .

Its all about metabolism.

Eat one thing every three hours and you'll lose weight to a relatively healthy level without starving.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I lost weight by calorie-limiting over a long period of time. I don't believe you have to completely eliminate sugar / carbs, it's total net calorie intake per day. Lost 65 pounds doing this. Just have to never break the daily limit.

I would also check out various fitness channels on youtube. I used Fitness Blender for awhile, would recommend it.

Nov 8, 2017
I did it by,
- cutting meat entirely
- running 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week
- lifting dumbbells, pushups, abs 3-4 times a week

It took me about 10 weeks.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Take the Sinkfla diet. Here are your steps:

Smoke 1 and half packs a day.
Drink 2 or 3 energy drinks a day.
Fuck your circadian rhythm in the poop chute with a waking schedule of 4pm to 10am.
Eat pizza products once every two days.
Shit once a week, twice if need be.
Pace around the house for hours at a time, wrought with anxiety over bills and utilities (cardio).
Masturbate upside down like a bat.

Enjoy your new (gall bladderless, GERD affected, tooth decaying) figure after 6 weeks!

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the advice here seems extreme considering that he's already in a normal BMI range. He is in no way overweight at that height and weight unless he has zero muscles (to be fair, given his target weight it doesn't seem like he wants any lol) and a beer gut or something.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
All I got are two 35lb weights and one 20lb weight.

I have all of the outdoors to walk or run

How can i do this ?

Anyone got a workout at home plan ?

Bruh how the hell do i stop myself from eating at night now that im at home all the time ? It's ....so hard now.

(I'm 6'3 190lb currently) and that is a no go for me

Hope this helps in your journey:
  1. Download a calorie tracking app like MyFitness Pal
  2. Set in your height, current weight, target weight loss
  3. It will give you a calorie budget
  4. Subtract around 250-300 Calories from the budget to give yourself a headroom (calorie counting is hard, get yourself a kitchen scale to weigh portions)
  5. Scan the food/input the food you consume, make sure you are under the budget at all times
  6. Start with brisk walking, duration as much as you can - increase duration by 15-30 mins every week
  7. If you can do it, start running. It's the best form of cardio. Get some comfy running shoes and just run at a pace you find manageable
  8. If you have a smartwatch/fitness tracker, use it to keep track of your run and daily activity. If you don't, forget about it. It's not important
Oh and some pointers on diet:
  1. Avoid ANY processed food. Just don't buy anything from the store that you intend to eat or drink. Ideally, cook at home. Or second choice order out (although, with the current situation, I'm not sure how feasible that is in your area)
  2. Reduce carbs. If you are eating rice/bread, go for stuff with low-glycemic index. I've prepared a sheet based on stuff that I can tolerate -- you can access it here. Avoid the ones in red, occasionally enjoy the ones in yellow, greens are good. You can search online for glycemic and nutrition info for any food item you plan to eat and plan your food accordingly

You can totally do it. I lost a ton, TON of weight. It feels great. The biggest challenge is mental -- you need to unlearn a lot of shitty lifestyle habits. So keep your mind open. Avoid any external stimuli such as TV (food ADs), eating socially (it's difficult to self-restrain while others are eating but not impossible), etc. And weigh yourself periodically for positive feedback: it will keep you going.

All the best!

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
I started brushing my teeth right after dinner and it's kept me from late night snacking a lot. It's kind of stupid now that I type it out, I don't know why it's worked so well.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Man, era has some fucked up ideas of how to lose weight.

Just count your calories and eat less than you burn. For your night time snack issue, work on self control.

Nov 1, 2017
Man, era has some fucked up ideas of how to lose weight.

Just count your calories and eat less than you burn. For your night time snack issue, work on self control.
Counting calories works but can be very inexact. You can very easily overestimate how high your TDEE is with calculators, underestimate the calories in your food (especially if you eat at restaurants), plus your TDEE will lower over time as you diet in a way that's hard to estimate. Calories burnt from exercise are even more difficult to calculate. These are the major faults with it besides just being a chore to do that a lot of people will find hard to stick to. But its atleast good to do for a while to understand how much calories you typically consume and how much is in what.

I find it more effective just to build all the healthy long term habits that will lead to consistent weight loss... that are very easily ignored if youre just obsessing over numbers that may be wrong anyway. Stuff like doing a lot of walking, strength training, eating as many veggies as you can, keeping processed food and carbs to a minimum, making sure you eat protein with every meal, not snacking constantly between meals and at night, etc. Intermittent fasting also works wonders at creating a caloric deficit and lowering your appetite.

Last edited:

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Try intermittent fasting. That helped trained me to stop stuffing my face. First week is hard but after that it's smooth sailing. Been doing it a year now (today actually)

Calorie Deficit, start with 100 calories deficit and then slowly do more every week.

For weights I like to do lots of volume, lots of sets with as many reps you can do while maintaining good form.

Do 20 mins walking everyday

Good Luck!

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
Calories in is the key. Eat quality stuff: fresh produce, no processed meats.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I find it more effective just to build all the healthy long term habits that will lead to consistent weight loss... that are very easily ignored if youre just obsessing over numbers that may be wrong anyway

This is incredibly valuable advice.

There are a ton of ways to lose weight quickly, but the key part is incrementally building habits into your life so that the weight stays off.

If you go hardcore low-carb for a few weeks the weight will melt off quickly, but it's difficult to maintain that for months or years at a time.

It's also important to maintain a healthy relationship with food. It isn't the enemy, it doesn't need to be dull and boring when you're trying to lose weight. People who obsess over calorie counts (which are more often than not woefully inaccurate) can end up with eating disorders without even realising. I'm not saying tracking calories is inherently bad, but it's not the only solution.

I'm a fan of Rhiannon Lambert's Food for Thought podcast which discusses this kind of thing at length with a variety of experts.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've actually lost 9kgs (20lbs) in 6 months, no gym or extensive exercise at all.

All I've been doing is cutting my lunch carbo intake and having a 20 minute walk every morning. I replace my lunch with proteins and/or vegetables only. I still eat carbs and normal stuff at breakfast and dinner, as well as snacks and coffee in between meals.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Eat less. No I'm serious, cutting calories is no 1. I've lost 11kg since Jan when I started my weight loss.

I lift some weights 2 times per week but thats not for weightloss thats for maintaining musclemass.

Jun 10, 2018
Don't listen to people advising to omit carbs. Just count calories and move more. If you can't sustain something for life, you're setting yourself up for a rebound. Get yourself a pullup bar from Walmart that can hang in a door frame. Do pushups, pullups, hold those dumbbells and do squats. Take walks.

What happens at 5pm, man? And what is wrong with sugar? Sugar is just another source of calories. Getting them via fruit is smart but either way, as long as they are accounted for, they are not an issue.

Edit: people keep talking about bodyweight when the thing that matters is body composition. You can remain the same weight while lifting and lose fat/gain muscle at the same time. A recomposition. I say, try 2k calories, prioritize protein, and lift. Add calisthenics as well. Cardio and low calories is a fast route to losing muscle as well as fat leaving you looking emaciated.
Besides the adverse biochemical response sugar/processed carbs does to your body in terms of throwing your ghrellin, leptin, and (most importantly) insulin homeostasis off track, it's an addictive substance that is in practically every packaged and/or canned product you buy. It's even in fucking milk and yogurt!

A low calorie count doesn't mean much if a substance (in this case sugar and processed carbs) is wrecking ever other biochemical indicator in your system leading to poor health.

Jun 10, 2018
Low/no carbs. You'll be 20lbs down in 2-4 weeks.

You could eat steak covered in cheese and wrapped in bacon, and still lose 20 lbs in a few weeks. 🤣

Unless you are in pretty good shape already ☹😆
I highly highly recommend on top of this you eat copious amounts of vegetables.

Brocolli, kale, carrots, snap peas, tomatoes, cauliflower, peppers, onions, and spinach are my staples, but you can switch it up however you like. It's been alluded to already, but not all vegetables are equal either, so consider the glycemic index for the best ones since too high of sugar content or too low fiber may cancel out your fat burning.

Oct 25, 2017
Cut the sugar.
Cut the Carbs (yes this is hard, and I mean cut your intake a bit, not cut it out entirely)
RING FIT ADVENTURE ERRYDAY.

Oct 26, 2017
When I went vegan I lost quite a lot of weight. Took two inches of my waistline. I was going to the gym twice a week for about 1 hour each time and cycling for 7km every day.

I ate a lot of oreos, snacks etc. Not particularly healthy. The removal of dairy and meat from my diet did most of the work. Try that if you don't want to have to actually "diet".

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Get up every morning and go walking for 45 min. Its literally that simple.

Also, grilled or boilded chicken and boiled eggs with some sauteed veggies 2 times a day. And there you have it.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I lost 30lbs in three months with no gym simply by eating at a deficit through a low carb diet (pick your poison here, just eat below maintenance) and walking/hiking for over an hour 5-7 times a week. I even got loose with my diet on the weekends and the lbs still fell from me.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Whole food, plant based diet (one of the worst offenders being cooking oils, avoid them as much as possible). Good video on weight loss tips backed by science, not anecdotes:

youtu.be

Evidence-Based Weight Loss: Live Presentation

In his newest live presentation from 2019, Dr. Greger offers a sneak peek into his new book How Not to Diet, which hones in on the optimal criteria to enable...

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Calories In < Calories Out = Lose Weight

Diet is more important than exercise, but exercise is still good for you.

It's a lot easier to not eat that 200 calories than it is to exercise it off.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
90% of your body is made in the kitchen.
And a lot of people don't want to hear that. They just don't want to believe the average male needs about 2000 calories a day and LESS to lose weight.

You can eat/drink whatever you want under 2K Cal - WHICH IS THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT - but if you can stay at a deficit you'll lose weight.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Exercise will help lose some weight and make you more healthy but will never lose weight by itself

That's all diet. Eat better. Eat less.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if it's already been covered, but as someone who's lost over 150 pounds over the past 6 years (though only maybe 12 months of that was devoted to serious training/diet):

Drink water constantly. If you feel hungry, chug some water. If you still feel hungry, eat something. I don't want to pretend that I know anything about dietary science, but eating the same things I always ate while removing carbs (rice, bread, pasta) worked for me. It's a good opportunity to get creative with your cooking. If you still feel hungry after a meal, drink a good amount of water. If you still feel hungry, eat something. Don't starve yourself, but try to work out an understanding of when your body is just craving water and when it is craving food.

It might be slow at first, so check your progress once a week or so to not get discouraged, preferably when you feel your lightest (the morning after a good workout, for example) for the best boost to your confidence. It might be slow going at first, but if you stick to it your losses (at least in my case) will start to become rapid and you may notice dips in your weight daily, depending upon your regimen.

I always relied on cardio in the form of running or playing basketball/soccer (often by myself). The goal at the start should be to work up a sweat and gradually push yourself to new limits. I very rarely did any weight training other than to mix up my routine a bit, and never enough that I would credit it with any of my progress.

Stretching and some aerobics is important to make sure you don't injure yourself, but I also enjoyed doing it and discovering how much more flexible I was gradually getting while losing weight. It gave me new goals/things to look forward to.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I lost 35 pounds from modifying my diet

No work out - ate 1,500 to 1,700 calories per day

This is me. I'm 5'11" and went from 222 to 188 over 6 months. OMAD and only drinking vodka on the rocks FRI/SAT nights is what kept me at ~1500 calories. Since hitting 188, I've kept the weight off for a year now never going above 192. Currently at 189.

It fucking sucks for the first few months. Absolutely sticking to a plan when going to a restaurant, friends, family etc - was torture. I was dizzy. I had zero energy. I became very forgetful. Had trouble sleeping. Had a short fuse. Then suddenly I felt like a million bucks. Now I sleep great and have never been more happy.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I have definitely and noticeably gained weight since the Rona.

I'm still going to work. But I started to bring home pecan and apple and strawberry rhubarb and cherry pies.

No soda but lots of dessert come from foods like gummy bears.

Maybe that's why intermittent fasting has not worked for me. If anything, intermittent fasting just ensures I don't gain weight and that's when I'm not bringing home pie.

Man, reading through this thread, I feel doomed. Is one of my five favorite hobbies, but I want to lose weight.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If anything, you should be doing body weight exercises to gain muscle and weight at your height. Losing more weight would leave you close to being too skinny. I'm 195 @ 5'10 so I should be losing about 25 pounds.

It's all diet.

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
Stop eating after 18:00. Exercise in the morning.

Weight loss is 80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise. Focus on optimizing your diet.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly just eat well, don't have snacks but it's fine on occasion like a biscuit or something during the day, not at night.

As for excercise, just some short burst 5 min variety of burpees, mountain climbers, jump squats, jumping jacks, planks. So you kinda do like 30 seconds, mix it up in 5-6 min rounds and do about 15-20 mins. Do that a couple times a week or daily.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
I'd highly recommend any of p90x series. I think the second one is the best. Try out BeachBodyOnDemand to get access to them all. Really great home workouts.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
(I'm 6'3 190lb currently) and that is a no go for me

b4rgt6ovw7k31.jpg

Cronosblade

Oct 27, 2017
All in on intermittent fasting and changing up diet. Less carbs and sugar etc. Dropped soda completely.

3 months went from 243 to 220. Still rolling. My pre-diabetic ass is gonna stave it off a few more years.

High five to OP and everyone else in this topic.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does it really matter when you eat? Calories are calories and as long you meet a deficit per week you'll lose a pound. If you're still hungry then start eating fatty foods like avocados.