• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Aside from obvious things like looking up build guides, any advice for someone picking this up this many years into the game's life? I'm only level 8 now and have won every match except 1 I've played and have messed around with the practice tool a bit. I'm interested in support so I've unlocked a couple of champions for that role (Nami, maybe Janna - kind of want Senna even if she doesn't seem super supporty, and for non-support Kai'sa looks cool) but have mostly stuck to Lux so far just to make things easier to learn.

I think I have two issues so far. One seems to be not know when to leave a given lane and go do something else. People will ping for certain things like help in another lane or help in killing one of those jungle spawns or whatever but other than that I feel a bit too glued to whatever lane. I assume you just learn with time for this one. The other is not knowing basically any matchup due to the number of champions. This worsens during larger team fights where I'm trying to not just spam abilities on whomever, but should I be looking at info for each champion or just learn this over time while playing? It's mostly simply things like knowing when or when not to shield an ally or use x ability on an enemy or something.

LoLLords pls respond.

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna keep an eye on this because I kind of want to give the game a shot too. Not sure how much luck you'll have considering the OT is barely active. Though you'll probably have a better chance posting it there. Despite being one of the most popular games in the world, it's not very popular on this site.

Dec 8, 2018
Aside from obvious things like looking up build guides, any advice for someone picking this up this many years into the game's life? I'm only level 8 now and have won every match except 1 I've played and have messed around with the practice tool a bit. I'm interested in support so I've unlocked a couple of champions for that role (Nami, maybe Janna - kind of want Senna even if she doesn't seem super supporty, and for non-support Kai'sa looks cool) but have mostly stuck to Lux so far just to make things easier to learn.

I think I have two issues so far. One seems to be not know when to leave a given lane and go do something else. People will ping for certain things like help in another lane or help in killing one of those jungle spawns or whatever but other than that I feel a bit too glued to whatever lane. I assume you just learn with time for this one. The other is not knowing basically any matchup due to the number of champions. This worsens during larger team fights where I'm trying to not just spam abilities on whomever, but should I be looking at info for each champion or just learn this over time while playing? It's mostly simply things like knowing when or when not to shield an ally or use x ability on an enemy or something.

LoLLords pls respond.

You will pick up strategies for champions as you play against them with time however I really think playing the champion is also the best way to learn it's strength and weaknesses so even if you want to main support you should play as the other champions. If you don't want to also learn other rolls you can play aram to mix things up and try new champions and in aram going full damage is always a possibility regardless of role on the rift. Just make sure you play a game or two as new champs once in a while to understand them basically and with the weekly rotation you should have plenty to choose from for a long while.

When to leave your lane and roam very much depends on how your and other lanes are doing. Are you comfortably winning your lane your adc probably can manage by him/herself pretty early (ask if you can leave is alway) and you can start to roam and help lanes not doing as well but if your behind that is not a great idea.

And a jungler should only need help with the first camp and later dragons/herald/baron but those objectives should only be taken if your lane is winning and you got a wave pushing against the enemy or if they are dead.

As a support however just as a jungler (my main) you will get blamed for everything going bad even if you are doing everything right from some players so only play it if you don't get aggravated by idiots.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I wanna keep an eye on this because I kind of want to give the game a shot too. Not sure how much luck you'll have considering the OT is barely active. Though you'll probably have a better chance posting it there. Despite being one of the most popular games in the world, it's not very popular on this site.
Yeah probably. You're right the majority of the major online PC titles have no presence here, at least in OTs. I'm guessing some who play it might just browse the general without posting in the OT but we'll see lol. Play it though let's rise together ✊

matcha pocky

Oct 27, 2017
Playing as much as you can to improve your mechanics and watching real competitive games will help, since they explain nearly everything that's going on in the game. iirc, there were a couple of beginners streams going on at worlds either last or two years ago, so if you can find those vods it'd be really helpful.

for the first question - if it's the start of a game and you're top or bottom, you typically help out your jungler with leash (helps them because the first camp gets cleared faster, and they take less damage). Otherwise, roaming (leaving your lane) is going to be something you'll just have to develop over time. Make sure to keep in mind your lane position - if you're pushed up (the minion waves are on the other half of the lane), it's pretty safe to leave bc you're not going to lose that much exp and gold leaving.

And for the second question - match ups just come with experience in the game too. when I started, melee vs ranged matchups were impossible for me because I didn't realize how safe you need to be as melee.

Dec 8, 2018

You should try it's a very fun game and if you play you can unlock every character you want without spending money. It's a lot of characters to learn but everyone is viable until you get into the really high divisions also.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Match up knowledge just happens as you play. If you fight a champ and have no clue what's going on, look up what he can do afterwards.

Just play casual and avoid the (bigger) toxicity of ranked.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Stick to a handful of heroes you like the look of and your mechanics will improve pretty quickly. Keep an eye on opponent heroes to try and figure out what they're abilities do and just look up whatever you can't tell. Should be matched against similar skill so just have fun for a bit before you start to learn more.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing since 2013. Here's some advice.
  • Stick to simple champions. They're easy to learn, which lets you focus on core skills like last-hitting and map awareness instead of the intricacies of playing the champ. Here are a couple suggestions for each role:
    • Support: Blitzcrank, Sona
    • Bot Lane: Caitlyn, Tristana
    • Mid Lane: Annie, Ahri
    • Top Lane: Garen, Nasus
    • Jungle: Master Yi, Nunu
  • As soon as you get a hint of someone being a jerk in team chat or all chat, mute them. They're not worth your time. You can do this by holding Tab to view the scoreboard then clicking the little message bubble icon near their info.
  • The transition from laning phase to midgame is kind of fuzzy. Generally once the first towers are gone on both sides, laning phase is over for the people in that lane. If the rest of your team is looking to get into a fight, you should probably help them. If there's nothing going on, there's no harm in pushing a lane a little to collect some experience and gold.
  • Vision is extremely important. You never know when the jungler or another laner will show up in your lane to try and surprise you when you're pushed too far up, so try to keep the river bushes warded.
  • Look at your minimap constantly. If you have wards in various bushes like you should, then you can see an enemy gank coming before it happens and retreat to the safety of your tower before they reach you.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The most fun you ever have with LoL is playing with people you know and using voice chat. I don't play at all unless my friends are online.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Last time I played I just stuck to one trick pony to carry me though the game. I can specialize now too but all roles might not be suited for someone at your levels. Garen works well in that regard.

After certain amount of time in laning ( first 10 minutes) you basically just want continue pushing and get important objectives like dragons while be aware of enemies around you. Not dying and getting kills are words to live by.

Get the op.gg extension for basically a cheat card in game and will help you with your second problem.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for replies.

And a jungler should only need help with the first camp and later dragons/herald/baron but those objectives should only be taken if your lane is winning and you got a wave pushing against the enemy or if they are dead.
for the first question - if it's the start of a game and you're top or bottom, you typically help out your jungler with leash (helps them because the first camp gets cleared faster, and they take less damage). Otherwise, roaming (leaving your lane) is going to be something you'll just have to develop over time.
I never thought to go help them instead of a lane so I'll look up more info on that.

Stick to a handful of heroes you like the look of and your mechanics will improve pretty quickly. Keep an eye on opponent heroes to try and figure out what they're abilities do and just look up whatever you can't tell. Should be matched against similar skill so just have fun for a bit before you start to learn more.
Have definitely been picking based on looks so far. Surprising few number I like the look of though 🤔

As a support however just as a jungler (my main) you will get blamed for everything going bad even if you are doing everything right from some players so only play it if you don't get aggravated by idiots.
Just play casual and avoid the (bigger) toxicity of ranked.
  • As soon as you get a hint of someone being a jerk in team chat or all chat, mute them. They're not worth your time. You can do this by holding Tab to view the scoreboard then clicking the little message bubble icon near their info.
I'm actually not ever really affected by multiplayer salt chat so I doubt I'll resort to it unless they are just annoying. Otherwise I want to experience the infamous LoL toxicity for myself finally!

• Look at your minimap constantly. If you have wards in various bushes like you should, then you can see an enemy gank coming before it happens and retreat to the safety of your tower before they reach you.
Yeah this I need to do more for sure. I do ward often enough but am kind of oblivious to the map unless it's getting pinged or I'm running back from buying stuff and seeing where the team is.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
Lol is more fun if you either have some friends to learn the with or if they already have some experience with it.

It can be quite the uphill battle but it is a lot of fun with so many champions.

lilojigsaw

Chicken Chaser
Mar 1, 2018
If you need someone to play with i can help you out and play adc a few games here and their. Can help you with builds or strategy if you want.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just starting? You're so cute. Welcome.

Do your best to refrain from buying champions with real money. Keep playing what you like and unlock new ones with your in-game credits as much as possible.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like you're at least having fun! You're asking great questions for a beginner. I'm a support main, so I can get more in-depth, but in general:
  • Roam whenever your adc is dead/backing and you don't need to yet. You could go back and heal 100hp and buy boots or try to convert that downtime into a kill in mid that would tilt that matchup entirely. The early biscuit rune in the Inspiration tree helps for this because you can top off instead of backing. Don't really go toplane much until you get the hang of roaming mid. It's only really worth walking to help people in your quadrant of the map. Buying the mobility boots upgrade early (first item after your starting item or second item after an initial cheap ap item for laning) will help you get the hang of this.
  • Seems like you're enjoying the enchanter type of traditional support. There's two types of targets you want to focus shield/healing: your tank and your squishies. Tanks give the highest shield efficiency because they have the most resists, so your 300 hp shield lasts longer on tanks. BUT nothing more efficient than an alive character over a dead one. In the midgame, support your frontline unless there are assassins after your backline. In the lategame, just focus on keeping your scaled allies alive.
  • When I first started, I would just pull up the abilities and look out for the hard cc abilities. I won't memorize every ability from just reading a screen, but I definitely wanted to know, "oh this character has a hook" or "this character dashes and stuns me". You'll pick it all up over time. Just focus on learning what an ability does from watching it in lane.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing since beta. There has been some good advice in here and I'll try to give you a few more quick tips:

1. Play ARAM to learn what other champs and items do in a rapid-fire way. Really learning the ins-and-outs of every champion is hard, but you need to know what their style is so you don't get caught playing too aggressively or passively. Like if you don't know that Blitzcrank has a long-range hook you need to play around, you are going to have issues. ARAM will help you learn fast if you pay attention and you don't have to worry about vision, back timing, or your teammates caring that much.

2. Vision and map awareness is really the whole game, especially if you are a support. It isn't just about keeping up your vision, it is about clearing the other teams vision to give your jungler/other laners easier ganks or the comfort to play more aggressively. Vision up and down the river, in particular, is very important for objective control. Remember to get vision wards and the Red Sweeper Trinket as support to clear out their vision.

3. In general, do not go much past a tower without the following: the knowledge of where most if not all of the enemy team is, 2 or more members of your team, or vision that is far enough up that allows you to escape the enemy team without dying.

4. Honestly try jungling a bit. I tell all my friends this. It helps with your map awareness a lot and lets you realize how a game typically flows because you aren't so locked into your lane. Those skills transfer over into lanes if you end up preferring a lane role.

5. Watch highlight montages of your main champs to see how they can be maximized mechanically. If you like Lux, weaving in your abilities and autos really maximizes your damage. If you have landed something on a champion, your ult will actually trigger her passive and add a new charge on the champion for another auto.

If you are on the NA server, my League ID is Chronos, feel free to add me/message me if you want to play. I'm on quite a bit, not as much as I used to be though.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
If you are kinda new, just focus on your lane, don't worry about other lanes or actually winning games, focus on improving your mechanics, landing skill shots, dodging, learning your champions and once you are kind of comfortable with those, try to learn bot lane synergy, like why you should be playing Vayne Nami vs Cait Karma and not Vayne Brand, then you should move on on how learn how to build yourself depending on match ups and overall composition. All of these are basics skills that not even Challenger players understand correctly. Focus on these aspects and then you can move on onto more intricate things.

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's a slow burn, you won't pick up everything you need to know right away.

I'd suggest going top or mid lane, you can just focus on last hitting, vision, and lane matchups.

it's never too late to get into this game. My cousin who's in his mid 20's started last season and hit gold by himself one tricking darius/Nasus.

nschwartz626

Oct 27, 2017
I think mostly with League you just need to dump a LOT of hours into the game and build up your experience. Things will come in time. I only have two real points:

1. You probably shouldn't worry too much about roaming at all during laning phase, because roaming when you shouldn't be roaming, or not getting anything from a roam, is a really easy way to fall behind. As a support, later in the game, you can just tag along.

2. I wouldn't advise you to be concerned with tier lists or even "meta champions" when you're starting out. Playing champions that seem fun and interesting to you is way, way more important than picking a champion because it has a high win rate. Not saying you should play Janna top lane, but basically just play what you like.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I played League, the one thing I felt that was holding me back was being able to master last hitting creeps.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I used to love playing this game but it makes my pc run incredibly loud now so I don't play it as much.

I'm new too btw. I play the one that has the snipe ultimate - I forget her name. Wait! Lux. Lux. I love Lux

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing since the beta but never go better than gold lol. Too lazy. Also played the OG DotA for a few years before that.

Well, I'd call myself a veteran though, and OP GG says I'm in the top 15% (still not believing that), so...

You really should try out every champ in the free rotation each week at least once, to at least get a sense of how they are played (and the roles attached to them), not only for your own knowledge but to know of their potential in any given situation on the enemy side. Some champs can be played in more than one lane, too.

Never forget to place wards and develop your map awareness. As you said, people sometimes ping, but sometimes they don't, especially at lower ranks. Get vision so the enemy jungler can't gank and try to clear the enemie's wards so your jungler has an opening to gank your lane. As support especially, having as much vision as possible is key. Everytime you go back to base, get a control ward if you can afford one after buying important items, and place it at key locations.

Oh and Senna is pretty good. Her heal isn't anything special but she's really, really strong right now (needs some good positioning though) Also, if you play bot lane and don't want to lose the game, ban Aphelios. Broken right now (I guess if your own ADC is first pick and wants to play him go for it lol)

Also consider getting some tank supports like Leona (really, check out leona. Pretty strong at the moment). Often people just pick whatever they want and end up with a teemo top and yi jungle or something, which leads to you being the only tank. Most of the time you need someone to initiate the fights, tank supports are perfect for that.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
sort of relevant question

if I want to try playing this game again after 6+ years of not playing, does it make more sense for me to make a new account or to use my old acct? I feel like the matchmaking will be better in the former, but I'm kind of ignorant w/r/t how decay works in my situation.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
sort of relevant question

if I want to try playing this game again after 6+ years of not playing, does it make more sense for me to make a new account or to use my old acct? I feel like the matchmaking will be better in the former, but I'm kind of ignorant w/r/t how decay works in my situation.
Eh, you have at least some champions unlocked from when you used to play and you probably will get some of the in-game currency for your old runes that got deleted to purchase more champs. Decay shouldn't matter considering the ranked play gets reset every year and I wouldn't worry about Normals decay.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh makes sense, id just rather not force my teammates who are of a particular lvl to sit through me trying to learn everything again haha

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, if you have any specific questions or are you looking for people to play with, you can join us over at discord. https://discord.gg/xXgwJcv

OT is dead because we all mostly just talk on there.
If you need someone to play with i can help you out and play adc a few games here and their. Can help you with builds or strategy if you want.
Thanks x2. I'll play a bit more then if I keep playing probably try to hop on with others. For some reason I hate playing with non-randoms if I'm absolutely new lol. Would rather burden those I don't know!

Oh yeah the extension: https://na.op.gg/extension/

Gives you detailed champion match ups and general gameplay tips.
Will try, thanks.

Just starting? You're so cute. Welcome.

Do your best to refrain from buying champions with real money. Keep playing what you like and unlock new ones with your in-game credits as much as possible.
😳 And yeah I never buy anything in f2p games normally. Maybe a skin if I end up really wanting to use someone I think is otherwise ugmo but not character unlocks that I can get for blue essence.

• When I first started, I would just pull up the abilities and look out for the hard cc abilities. I won't memorize every ability from just reading a screen, but I definitely wanted to know, "oh this character has a hook" or "this character dashes and stuns me". You'll pick it all up over time. Just focus on learning what an ability does from watching it in lane.
Yeah the latter is what I've been doing mainly and it seems the most logical thing to do to learn so far. Actually the only thing that made me ask the question was getting destroyed in my one loss so far by an Ekko, or watching like 3 people chase him into a brush area when he had 1/3rd health and him somehow winning that fight lol. "I should learn who is this scary."
  • Roam whenever your adc is dead/backing and you don't need to yet. You could go back and heal 100hp and buy boots or try to convert that downtime into a kill in mid that would tilt that matchup entirely. The early biscuit rune in the Inspiration tree helps for this because you can top off instead of backing. Don't really go toplane much until you get the hang of roaming mid. It's only really worth walking to help people in your quadrant of the map. Buying the mobility boots upgrade early (first item after your starting item or second item after an initial cheap ap item for laning) will help you get the hang of this.
I think I might watch some Jungler videos and maybe try a few matches, as (besides being curious about how the role plays rather than lane characters) I feel less inclined to walk to another lane through a jungle quadrant that's not all warded since I'm worried someone flanking or also moving through will see me. Think I need to have a better idea of when it's generally safe to do so or just what people are doing in jungle in general.

4. Honestly try jungling a bit. I tell all my friends this. It helps with your map awareness a lot and lets you realize how a game typically flows because you aren't so locked into your lane. Those skills transfer over into lanes if you end up preferring a lane role.
Yeah this seems smart lol. Will try it this weekend maybe. Need to find a jungler I think is not ugly looking...

5. Watch highlight montages of your main champs to see how they can be maximized mechanically. If you like Lux, weaving in your abilities and autos really maximizes your damage. If you have landed something on a champion, your ult will actually trigger her passive and add a new charge on the champion for another auto.
I like her the most so far but haven't tried a lot of champions, and also she seems to play mid way more than an actual support but doesn't seem to matter much. At least not at this level. I might try Nami more but I didn't enjoy using her (just from a 'gamefeel' perspective). Senna abilities seem cool but like Lux maybe not a very supporty support. Also might be interested in some of the more seemingly passive ones like Yuumi.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i can't wait to try out the console version whenever that happens

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I think I might watch some Jungler videos and maybe try a few matches, as (besides being curious about how the role plays rather than lane characters) I feel less inclined to walk to another lane through a jungle quadrant that's not all warded since I'm worried someone flanking or also moving through will see me. Think I need to have a better idea of when it's generally safe to do so or just what people are doing in jungle in general.

Yeah this seems smart lol. Will try it this weekend maybe. Need to find a jungler I think is not ugly looking...
Well, you're typically walking through the river for speed. Also, vision is your job, so you should be warding along the way :)

Sejuani is free this week and not... ugly... I think.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
A lot of great advice in here, so plus one to all that. I'll just add that remember you dont have to know everything all at once. Just focus on the basics, like getting gold from creeps, winning in the lane your in, gwtting comfortable with some champions, etc. You can even buy recommended items and not worry about things too much. Then you can save the more macro strategies, rotations, item builds, and learning a wide variety of roles for later.

It can be overwhelming if you think you need to know exactly what jungle path to take and when to push a creep wave while rotating properly and all that Jazz on day one. Just have fun and make some friends with cool randoms you get matched with or join a Discord like the one here.

I hope you have fun! The league train isn't stopping anytime soon so it's never too late :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe also good to learn; the different terms that are used ingame or even outside of the game when discussing strategies: https://www.hotspawn.com/guides/league-of-legends-terms/
I think the only thing I had to look up was ADC. The idea of an offensive character carrying the match made sense but I don't get why attack damage is specified. Is there another carry type?

It can be overwhelming if you think you need to know exactly what jungle path to take and when to push a creep wave while rotating properly and all that Jazz on day one. Just have fun and make some friends with cool fandoms you get matched with or join a Discord like the one here.
Was going to say count me out for any fandom nonsense but I see you meant randoms lol. Yeah might hop in the discord if I keep playing.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Bit off-topic, do people generally call it lol or league for short?
I personally call it "LoL: League of legends, the official MOBA" but to each their own.

On a more serious note, good luck to you Signal. It's gonna take you a while to really "master" the game, the flow of its matches and all the little different strategies that go with it. And that's absolutely normal. As other people have already said: play some ARAM from time to time, to force you to try different champions. If you want to know what you're up to in a real game, the best way for that is to have played that champion yourself, to really grasp what it's capable of.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Grind out games and pay attention, try and see what you're doing wrong and that's about it for every MOBA. Grinding out should help you with realizing how enemy and ally spells work. Always remember: practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. If you're just gonna be grinding out games without thinking it will only get you so far.

Gotta remember you don't get a lot of free stuff compared to something like DOTA and if you don't want to spend money you'll have to grind for champions, it's certainly possible.

Last but probably most important, remember what kind of company you'll be supporting if you want to spend money eventually.

QoP of Pain and KotL of the Light.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I'm main support and I love Lux, she's my favorite, but if I want a sure win I go with Soraka.

Lux is a good support only in certain match ups. And you will often see ADC players complaining if you pick Lux support haha.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nice! As a super casual player, I will echo the suggestions for "simple" champions posted above.

Garen in particular feels like the best way to start playing and understanding the general flow of the game.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
just remember, if someone is being toxic with you or your team, just press tab and mute them

don't even say nothing, just mute them, this will be useful when you start to play ranked

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I played a lot of League during pre ranked, season 1 and 2. Then I stopped and tried to come back twice but couldn't, too many new champions and stuff to learn. It was overwhelming.

I'll try the announced console version and see what happens there.