• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
MODS: Can you please change "character" to "charge" please. Oops.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...op-the-fee-for-changing-gender-in-shadowlands

This is not only significant in terms of less monetization/more choice for players, but also in terms of diversity and inclusion.

Blizzard is introducing a lot more LGBTQA+ elements in Shadowlands including:

The first Night Warrior, a character who is a focus in the Ardenweald zone, is gay and a character named Pelagos in Bastion, who is a character who lived their life as a woman and chose to become male when entering the afterlife.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh you no longer have to pay to change. I read the title like blizzard was getting rid of it all together

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn OP almost cancelled WoW

Good move on them. I wonder if more games will do so. Sea of Thieves offered a one time free pirate appearance change potion but you have to pay to do it now.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is great news, I hope other MMO's follow suit

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Nice. Should've been in Monster Hunter World as well.

Hell, all games with a character creator should allow you to change your character's look whenever you want.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
i'm always letdown by how limited the aesthetician in XIV is compared to WoW's barbershop

but i guess that fantasia money is too good to pass up
Yep I was specifically thinking about FFXIV.
Changing race is one thing but gender should be more easily changeable. Granted they do give you a free Fantasia (or at least they did when I played)

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Pretty cool change, plus less importantly there is more hairstyles in the barbershop finally.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh you no longer have to pay to change. I read the title like blizzard was getting rid of it all together

I got the same impression. Glad I was wrong. Cool move on Blizz's part, even if I'm definitely not getting back into WoW when I'm like three expansions behind and my primary WoW buddy died two years ago.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Neat.

I want them to dump the fees to transfer realms next, the character I've played since 2007 is stuck on one that's pretty much dead (Dragonblight), and I don't want to pony up the money to move him. Now that they've had a cash shop for awhile now with stuff like mounts and the occasional transmog gear, charging for services just feels a bit much.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Great not having to be locked into a gender. Paid once for a gender change.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
I no longer need to pay? That's actually pretty huge... nice job Blizz.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just now saw this news. This is awesome. Though I do hope they have the foresight to still charge for name changes for obvious reasons.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is a great move on Blizzard. Stuff like this should always be free.

Incoming people bitching about SJWs while simultaneously playing a female character because "hurr hurr if i'm gonna look at a pixel ass all day i want it to be a girl".

Yep I was specifically thinking about FFXIV.
Changing race is one thing but gender should be more easily changeable. Granted they do give you a free Fantasia (or at least they did when I played)
Yeah, there's not much excuse for FFXIV charging for gender changes these days. Modders and mod tools have shown that it's not nearly as complex as people are led to believe a lot of the time.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Neat.

I want them to dump the fees to transfer realms next, the character I've played since 2007 is stuck on one that's pretty much dead (Dragonblight), and I don't want to pony up the money to move him. Now that they've had a cash shop for awhile now with stuff like mounts and the occasional transmog gear, charging for services just feels a bit much.
Nah I don't see them ever doing that. But I wouldn't be against it so long as they put some kind of huge timer on the privilege.

Like yeah you can transfer to another realm, but you won't be able to switch that character again for 6 months. Or something like that.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, there's not much excuse for FFXIV charging for gender changes these days. Modders and mod tools have shown that it's not nearly as complex as people are led to believe a lot of the time.
paid services in MMOs are always a racket, it's never been logical that it should somehow cost money to change a few bits on a database when you're always able to spin up another character for free, which should cost them more

like i'll still end up paying because i'm that kind of sucker, but it's always just companies squeezing more money out of players

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I honestly never thought of this as an issue, but it is the right call to change this now.

I always accepted charging extra fees for gender/name/race/faction/realm changes as a way to keep players from overusing those features. (IIRC early on some of those services were not automatic processes and required some manual work behind the scenes, along with being unable to play the character for a several hours while the work happened).

Though this opinion was formed pre-BC, long before other in game "micro transactions" were offered.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I have a gut feeling that, with the removal of XP bonuses to heirlooms, they're going to go ahead and start selling XP pots...
heirlooms should just be removed entirely, awful concept honestly, not only are they overpowered, they take away the fun of equipping upgrades while levelling up, it's why people say levelling feels like a chore in retail without really understanding why.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
heirlooms should just be removed entirely, awful concept honestly, not only are they overpowered, they take away the fun of equipping upgrades while levelling up, it's why people say levelling feels like a chore in retail without really understanding why.
They actually reduced their power significantly in the last stat squish, and that really just made them feel worse.