• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my fixed copy from amazon, and I gotta say, there is a lot to like. I was pleasantly surprised at the flying in this game is handled. Its a bit weird but it really feels like there is depth, (inbetween getting short bursts of air, doing tricks while aiming and killing) that you can see looking really cool once you master the controls.

The only thing that is awkward is having this huge ship on your controller and yet there is no motion controls. Weirded me out when trying to aim lol.

The Arwing looks really good out here in IRL and I was also pleasantly surprised the the joycon mount doubles as a display stand. It looks like it'd be rickety but it holds everything up nice and stable.

My only complaints as far as gameplay though is that the characters are kinda lame, (I only really mind Mason and Calisto) save for the Fox crew. They are great. Then, the pausing when removing parts from the ship. It doesnt pause when you add parts to the ship thought so its really weird. Lastly, the music. So far it just isnt interesting. I know I shouldn't be expecting something like this but I wish it was more engaging. Maybe this would change the further I get into the game.

But other then that I'm enjoying my time.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I had the same problem, ran around the first planet doing all those ruins, and couldn't figure out how to trigger them. You need to progress in the story to unlock the mechanic. Since then I've just been mainlining the story, as it seems to be unlocking more ways to interact with planets as I go.

Yup, thanks!

Once I reached the ruin completion point I went back to the first planet and finished it 100%.

Managed to beat the lvl 20 Wonder area using the fire vortex combo which worked extremely well.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, do you guys think Ubi might pull a Donkey Kong expansion and include another Nintendo property?

I can think of a certain bounty hunter swinging by with her starship.

Apr 21, 2018
Just got my fixed copy from amazon, and I gotta say, there is a lot to like. I was pleasantly surprised at the flying in this game is handled. Its a bit weird but it really feels like there is depth, (inbetween getting short bursts of air, doing tricks while aiming and killing) that you can see looking really cool once you master the controls.

The only thing that is awkward is having this huge ship on your controller and yet there is no motion controls. Weirded me out when trying to aim lol.

The Arwing looks really good out here in IRL and I was also pleasantly surprised the the joycon mount doubles as a display stand. It looks like it'd be rickety but it holds everything up nice and stable.

My only complaints as far as gameplay though is that the characters are kinda lame, (I only really mind Mason and Calisto) save for the Fox crew. They are great. Then, the pausing when removing parts from the ship. It doesnt pause when you add parts to the ship thought so its really weird. Lastly, the music. So far it just isnt interesting. I know I shouldn't be expecting something like this but I wish it was more engaging. Maybe this would change the further I get into the game.

I'm hoping if this game gets future support for two things:

-gyro aiming/controls on Switch (seems like a no-brainer)
-online multiplayer dog fights. My friend bought the game and was shocked this was missing. I think it would greatly improve the game's replay value.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
To continue the tutorial, yeah. But if you're physical, just yank the suckers off and you'll shoot the arwing laser. Digital, just hit start and ubequip

Oh I'm digital so no wonder. Only played for a couple hours and spent tons of time reading through all of the collection stuff lol, so I'm very early. Good to know though, thanks!

Last edited:

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
So I attached my second ship, the Nadir last night to check it out and was pleased with the difference from the starter Zenith, it really handles different, has different sounds, I dig it. Gonna throw the Nadir's wings on the Zenith tonight just for fun. Broke down and also ordered the Neptune because I think having three ships should be about perfect, and I'm thinking I'd like to focus on the Judge as a more permanent pilot.

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game, was worried if it would like it or not, once thing the gamexplain review said that I liked was the ground fighting felt like a 3rd person shooter to me, I rather that then all fights be space fights. Controls feel fine too, I wish they didnt make scanning so tedious, why cant we just point and scan, plus you have do the who circle the creature to scan 3 times to get a full scan. This is a really good game digital addition gave me everything I needed.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I had the same problem, ran around the first planet doing all those ruins, and couldn't figure out how to trigger them. You need to progress in the story to unlock the mechanic. Since then I've just been mainlining the story, as it seems to be unlocking more ways to interact with planets as I go.

lol this happened to me as well. Then I got to the second planet and it started working. So I guess when I finish up here I'm going back to the first planet.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat my first Prime and noticed the entire world scaled to my level. I was around level 8 or so after finishing that mission and now the starting planet is level 3-8, and the outlaw bases went up 2-3 levels each with one being level 12 now. It seems the game scales pretty good and accounts for people who have more ships, pilots, and weapons since your pilot level is based on how many individual ships and weapons you level.

Things also scale down depending on doing things to weaken it. The system is kinda neat.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the weapon packs from the eShop and the Hailstorm and Meteor Mk.2 pack does not unlock. =\

I will say that the individual weapon packs are not worth it as most of these weapons are Kinetic. The Crusher is handy due to it being a weapon element that us isn't in the starter pack but there are no individual weapon packs for the 4th element (Stasis) at all though, which means you're still one element down.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the weapon packs from the eShop and the Hailstorm and Meteor Mk.2 pack does not unlock. =\

I will say that the individual weapon packs are not worth it as most of these weapons are Kinetic. The Crusher is handy due to it being a weapon element that us isn't in the starter pack but there are no individual weapon packs for the 4th element (Stasis) at all though, which means you're still one element down.

The monetization really makes no sense TBH. I'm not complaining but the digital version with most of the weapons, pilots and ships feels like the way the game is meant to be played. It almost fels like there was some kind of shakeup partway through, and they just wanted to an option to totally do away with the TTL aspect. But in the end it just makes the value proposition on the physical versions really pathetic in comparison.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The monetization really makes no sense TBH. I'm not complaining but the digital version with most of the weapons, pilots and ships feels like the way the game is meant to be played. It almost fels like there was some kind of shakeup partway through, and they just wanted to an option to totally do away with the TTL aspect. But in the end it just makes the value proposition on the physical versions really pathetic in comparison.

Yup. Love the game, but goodness gracious is the physical vs digital stuff confusing...

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
One thing worrying me is that some equinox upgrades seem to be tied to specific pilot levels. Do they level up with you? Otherwise you could play the whole game as Fox and find you can't get new upgrades for certain things as you need to use a different pilot, who is too low level. Have I misunderstood this?not really sure what the weapon / ship levelling things do yet. Not sure if I should be swapping ships and stuff or sticking to the same one. Don't wanna gimp myself!

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
So what's everyone's opinion on weapons that they feel like everyone should try or own. So far I think the Imploder is great. Creates a vortex and does good damage to near by enemies and sucks in your other projectiles for more damage.

I'm thinking of getting at least one more ship and one more weapon pack so suggestions would be great.

90wx12.jpg

I'm sure some people think it's silly to play with toys like this but I'm loving it.

EDIT: not sure why this pic shows up sideways on Chrome. It looked fine on mobile and if I open it in a separate window, its orientation seems correct.

Last edited:

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's killing me that I can't boost and steer at the same time. I wish I could remap boost to left bumper and have pilot skills on A.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Then, the pausing when removing parts from the ship. It doesnt pause when you add parts to the ship thought so its really weird. Lastly, the music. So far it just isnt interesting. I know I shouldn't be expecting something like this but I wish it was more engaging. Maybe this would change the further I get into the game.

Do you mean the jump to the main menu when you remove parts?
You can disable this in the options

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I LOVE THIS GAME

The soundtrack is goat material. The presentation of the story is incredibly charming and the gameplay is just pure fun. Oh and the vistas are amazing. Some planets look incredible. And the wildlife... Oh my.

This is easily one of my favorite games on Switch besides Botw. Super happy I impulse bought this.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Playing with Fox as the pilot is the right way to go. He interacts with everything, this is not just for the Fox Missions but in all the missions. It feels like I'm playing Star Fox Breath of the Wild. I love it.

I would agree. Started as Fox, tried Mason, immediately went back to Fox and his crew. Hunter seems like he might be cool, but Fox + Arwing just feels right.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I use different pilots and ships for different situations. Have 3 loadouts. The only thing that would be nice if there was a button combo to instantly change loadouts.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Wow love this game. Looks gorgeous, love how easy it is to switch weapons and how powerful and fun they are. Cool that for example charging a railgun shot can knock over an enemy. Controls seemed weird in space at first but are clearly designed to function well on the ground/hovering.

Only issue is that it kinda runs like garbage on switch in docked mode (havent tried handheld) so would like a PC digital version at 60 fps. After a while I got used to the framerate. Worlds do look beautiful though so all in all very happy at the digital version.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
I really like this game so far. I'm on Haven and keep getting distracted with side items. I think there are already some improvements Ubisoft could make though:

- More enemy variety (this is likely tied to toy/digital accessibility).
- A way to actually see quests in a list.
- A variety in quests, ie every refinery quest so far has been finding a cockpit or a condenser.
- An excuse to use non-elemental weapons because fire or ice plus vortex kills everything quickly.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've seen several people compare this to No Man's Sky. Is that just because of the sense of scale and space ships? I'm assuming there's no resource gathering/management, construction, or on foot exploration, right?

I'm also interested in learning more about this. So far I've seen nothing of the sort (and I do know there's no on-foot exploration).

There is:
resource gathering
building (preset) construction
territory control systems through supplying structures with resources (I wouldn't call this resource management) or defending them from attacks

There is no:
resource management per se
on-foot exploration

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like everything except the characters, OK judge is OK but the rest are too Disney xd for nlmy liking, but I digress its aimed at pre-teens (hopefully) Luckily I have fox.

Otherwise game is good stuff, looks great on the switch. Surprisingly.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
There seems to be some confusion for people like me who bought digital deluxe but still want the exclusives. I'm not sure how that works.

Or if it works. No matter which way this ends up, or which way I go with this game (digital or physical or combo of both) I'd just like to know.

again, as explained in the OP: buy the standalone mount, buy the whatever thing, activate and then play with the digital unlocks it gives you.

or wait until they sell the exclusives digitally in the second content wave...

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Playing the physical version with no pause while switching parts is so magical.

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also interested in learning more about this. So far I've seen nothing of the sort (and I do know there's no on-foot exploration).

I've seen several people compare this to No Man's Sky. Is that just because of the sense of scale and space ships? I'm assuming there's no resource gathering/management, construction, or on foot exploration, right?

As someone who played a ton of NMS, and loves the game I think the comparison is apt. They're both arcadey spaceship games with a focus on exploration. It's true that the driving goals are different with NMS being a game all about the economy and scaling up, and the actual game play loops differ quite a bit the same underlying DNA of NMS is there in Starlink.

Similarities:
- Visual aesthetic: The visual style feels straight out of NMS, in many ways it is superior with each planet hand crafted they are able to maintain a strong consistent visual appeal to each planet.
- Seamless planetary -> space transitions: While there are no out of ship sections in the game, I'd argue the lander is functionally the same.
- Scanning animals
- Resource gathering is a core focus for progression

Differences:
- Narrative and Objective: NMS is all about exploring for the sake of exploring, and the story is only there as a metaphor for the player's journey. Atlas is much more of a standard narrative driven game.
- Focus on Combat vs economy: Atlas is much more focused on combat, whereas NMS is really about exploration and economic progression.
- Scale: This is the biggest difference imo with NMS choosing to focus on proc gen the planets end up feeling much larger scale, but less involved than any of the planets in Starlink.

Honestly I'd LOVE to see a marriage of the two games as I think each brings some stuff to the table that the other could benefit from ie. Combat & objective variety from Starlink, endless gameplay loop, planet generation, and economy from NMS.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone hasn't been able to find the store exclusives and wants them at cost plus shipping, let me know. I ended up with an extra of each.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, the game is pretty fun overall, but the FPS controls really bring the game down for me. I have such a hard time flying around that it makes dog fighting more of a pain in the ass than it should. It's just so hard to control when flying. I wish they would have given us the option of regular flight controls.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have everything on Haven bar one thing: A plant sample.

Anyone have any idea how to find these?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So does leveling ships and weapons exist just to give you another point to put into your pilot skills? or do weapons actually get more powerful?

and, since I've only used the awring so far, are weapons leveled individually for each ship? pilot?

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone seen any reviews, or can comment on what the coop is line on Switch? I would love to play this 2p with my wife!