• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda dissapointed as well that theyre basically trying to charge you the price these would cost if the toys existed.

I mean, 5 bucks for a weapon?

That's what a Full character for a fighting game costs and many believe that's also too high!

I may pick it all up later when it hits a nice deep discount at the inevitable eshop sale, but no way am I paying full price for this stuff. That's ridiculous. I thought they were going to ask like, $20-$30 tops for all the new stuff.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Had the chance to play a little during my lunch break, the new difficulty rating actually significantly adds challenge, was cleaning up some extractors/primes and i actually lost a couple of ships in the process, didn't get to test the crimson moon yet but i did notice a couple of new Legion and Outlaw enemies.

In sad unrelated news, i just found out the last Nadir on my local game store was purchased, blindsided me since i literally was the only person buying Starlink toys from that store!

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
$49.99 for a couple of pilots and ships?? I guess the wait for this new content will have to continue, until there's a huge sale. Absolutely ridiculous pricing, especially since this time there are no similarly-priced physical counterparts to "justify" the cost of these.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
$49.99 for a couple of pilots and ships?? I guess the wait for this new content will have to continue, until there's a huge sale. Absolutely ridiculous pricing, especially since this time there are no similarly-priced physical counterparts to "justify" the cost of these.
They throw in all the new weapons, too. But you still have to buy the StarFox pack on top for another $12. It just bothers me that this is certainly the last of the DLC support for Starlink, and they're trying to nickel and dime people for the cost of another full game.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they're obligated to have these digital prices at first, because of standing retail agreements. Curious to see what happens over the coming weeks.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kind of upset about it. I was looking forward to some new content for a game I enjoyed, now they're trying to squeeze me for the cost of another fucking full retail game as one last-ditch cash-grab before they finally send Starlink out to pasture.

It's absolutely bizarre since it isn't like there is that much new content to use the ships for. As someone with a bunch of physical ships, buying digital now also means I would have to put the physical ships on once a week to be able to use them alongside digital content as you can't combine physical ships with digital. Feels pretty half-hearted and not consumer-oriented at all. Bummer, not a cool way for a game I liked to go out.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's absolutely bizarre since it isn't like there is that much new content to use the ships for. As someone with a bunch of physical ships, buying digital now also means I would have to put the physical ships on once a week to be able to use them alongside digital content as you can't combine physical ships with digital. Feels pretty half-hearted and not consumer-oriented at all. Bummer, not a cool way for a game I liked to go out.

You have to scan once a week with physical ships regardless of whether or not you have digital content, so not going to make much difference.

They're pretty much obligated to keep the new content at the same price as the existing ships, and they can't reduce the prices of the existing ships and content until they've cleared their physical stock , which hasn't been clearing out anywhere nearly as quickly as they'd hoped. Unless they want to shoot themselves in the feet of course.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
You have to scan once a week with physical ships regardless of whether or not you have digital content, so not going to make much difference.

No I get that it's nothing new, but with new physical ships I would've stayed physical. Now, if I want any new content, I have to play digitally and can't utilise the physical ships as easily. It would be a nice gesture for idiots like me to be able to upload the ships permanently like in Skylanders Imaginators for the Switch.

If the connection of DLC price and ships in stores is correct, this stuff won't be going on sale anytime soon either :/

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
Also, is there a pricing mistake on the xbox store? In my region, the collection 2 pack is showing as 69.99 euros. In all other regions, it's 49.99. Anyone else seeing this?

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Do all of the new Star Fox pilots (Falco/Peppy/Slippy) start out at level 1? That seems to me like it would make playing it where I am now (my Fox is level 40 I think and all other pilots are like 15/16 because I don't use them) untenable.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Do all of the new Star Fox pilots (Falco/Peppy/Slippy) start out at level 1? That seems to me like it would make playing it where I am now (my Fox is level 40 I think and all other pilots are like 15/16 because I don't use them) untenable.

Haven't bought them yet but they should have a bunch of levels on them like any other unrecruited pilot, specially if you leveled up Mason's shared skill plus a level for every Dreadnought you have ever destroyed.

If your Fox is level 40, my guess is Slippy, Falco and Peppy will be around Level 25 when you buy them.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
$12 for the Starfox pilots and mission access is fair. $50-$62 for the DLC ships, MKII weapons, and pilots is crazy.

I picked up the Starfox pack without hesitation, but they rest of the DLC is going to need to on deep discount before I consider it. You can't price the content as if you're getting a toy when the toys don't exist.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
$12 for the Starfox pilots and mission access is fair. $50-$62 for the DLC ships, MKII weapons, and pilots is crazy.

I picked up the Starfox pack without hesitation, but they rest of the DLC is going to need to on deep discount before I consider it. You can't price the content as if you're getting a toy when the toys don't exist.

Tbf the toys were double the price: 29.99 for a ship instead of 14.99 digitally. But still, it's too much.

I just need to know why Xbox has the pack priced at 69.99 instead of 49.99.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Tbf the toys were double the price: 29.99 for a ship instead of 14.99 digitally. But still, it's too much.

I just need to know why Xbox has the pack priced at 69.99 instead of 49.99.

Are you not in the US? I can walk in to Best Buy right now in CA, and get a ship for $18, a weapons back for $8, or pilot for $6.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
The fact that the greatest Star Fox game in years is actually DLC for a completely different game is quite possibly one of the oddest stories I've ever seen in recent years.

Nintendo, you love outsourcing Star Fox. Just ask these guys to make a full game.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
Are you not in the US? I can walk in to Best Buy right now in CA, and get a ship for $18, a weapons back for $8, or pilot for $6.

I see what you mean, and even where I am, the ships etc. have been reduced to those prices, but I was still thinking of the RRP, for which, of course, nothing is being sold now in an attempt to clear the stock.

I was thinking of the RRP because the digital content was always half the price of the physical, e. g., 29.99 for a ship RRP, 14.99 digital.

Looking at sites for prices on PSN and XBL it does, however, seem that the digital ship packs have been reduced now and then. Therefore, collector's OCD notwithstanding, I shall not be getting any new ships at the current price.

I loaded up the game on PS4 -- I haven't quite for the plat yet -- and the Crimson Moon dialogue was prompted, but I felt very little motivation to check it out. I still need to start the game on Switch. Has anyone tried the new content on platforms other than Switch? Does it require the new ships at all?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Given that the DK Adventure DLC for Mario + Rabbids has never gone on sale, I am guessing the Star Fox DLC will be the same story. :(
Ehh, $12 to play as the other three Starfox pilots, each with their own unique skills and tech trees, isn't too bad. I bought that one with no regrets. They're a lot of fun to play and their dialogue is great.

Now, $50 for a handful of pilots, three ships, and ~10 weapons (most of which aren't even that different from their Collection 1 counterparts)...that's a no go.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

You get 1 point for every dreadnaught + 1 point for every ship/weapon at max level per pilot that reaches that level of mastery. You can be pretty close to Max level if you bought the gold edition and only levelled up/mastered 2 pilots

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I can't believe Steam version is getting negative reviews because Star Fox content is locked to Switch version lol.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
BTW for anyone who's interested: Xbox seems to have noticed the wrong price and Collection 2 is now 49.99 instead of 69.99. I really hope no one bought it for the original even higher price.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hmmm may grab this next time it's half off which should be soon(digital na I mean)

dpaint

Apr 7, 2019
Glad to see they're continuing to support the game after announcing the cancellation of physical goods.

The switch version run surprisingly well for a frostbite engine game and I've genuinely been taken a back by the artistic sky boxs.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is the starfox pack worth the price? I remember somebody saying that ta guy burned through it in less than an hour or something and it was only one mission?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
BTW for anyone who's interested: Xbox seems to have noticed the wrong price and Collection 2 is now 49.99 instead of 69.99. I really hope no one bought it for the original even higher price.
I mean, not to be that guy, but hopefully no one buys it at $49.99 either. Don't get me wrong - I even really liked Starlink! But, $50 is just...too much, for a handful of pilots/ships/weapons. I'd have to do at least two 100% playthroughs with them to justify that price. (Thankfully, it's Ubisoft, so there should be a sale fairly soon.)

So is the starfox pack worth the price? I remember somebody saying that ta guy burned through it in less than an hour or something and it was only one mission?
The main draw of the Starfox pack is the pilots themselves. They all have unique skill trees, abilities, dialogue, etc. and it's fun to play through the game as though it were some sort of Starfox reimagining (which it kinda sorta is anyway...). The extra missions vs. Star Wolf are really just the icing on the cake.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017

You can beat it in an hour, it's a bunch of boss fights. It's good but you should only buy it if you plan to play more Starlink so you can level the other Starfox members

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like I'll buy the Star Fox DLC as is but hold off on buying the other DLC until it goes on sale (40%-50% off is probably my minimum).

It's weird to me that you could buy the "Deluxe Edition" of Starlink for only $20 more than the base price and get the first collection (apparently valued at $60 on its own?), and now the new collection is priced at $50. $20 feels like the right price for a pilot/weapon expansion, but maybe there's a lot of voice recording happening that's driving up the price.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, not to be that guy, but hopefully no one buys it at $49.99 either.

No, by all means, be that guy. The pricing is crazy. At least when Skylanders brought out DLC for 29.99 there were new levels attached to the new characters.

I liked Starlink a lot too, but not enough to throw money at it willy nilly.