• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sg1 has kinda become a weird filler show, its hopped betwen sevral streaming services, but never sticks around.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying my rewatch. Starting up season 2.

But why does netflix have to use the cast photo with Quinn as their splash page. No one wants to see that.

E0JCmJsXoAE0XdU

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying my rewatch. Starting up season 2.

But why does netflix have to use the cast photo with Quinn as their splash page. No one wants to see that.

E0JCmJsXoAE0XdU

It's probably due to this:

www.visualentertainment.tv

Stargate SG-1 The Complete Series [Blu Ray] #7151

Super clean picture 10 seasons, 214 episodes 127 hours of Bonus content : Includes Special Features Including Extended Episodes, Behind-scenes Extras, And Commentaries With The Cast And Crew! "Stargate SG-1" picks up where the blockbuster film left off. Colonel Jack O'Neill (Richard Dean...

VEI choose that photo for some dumb reason.

Netflix photos are insane sometimes. The was one time, I forget what show/movie it was where the image for me was of the only white cast member. Eg. Hustle and Flow where the image is Shelby.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
On season 5 now.

By the end of his first scene I instantly remembered why I hate Rodney.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Incoming Stargate RTS: Stargate Timekeepers

There's a new Stargate RTS coming out for PC. Not much information has been released so far but we do have a teaser: Timekeepers will have an new original story set between seasons 7 and 8. Taken from Gateworld: Is Stargate still relevant? What are people's thoughts? Personally I'm looking...

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Just finished Window of Opportunity last night. In my rewatch it was one of the episodes I was most looking forward to. Having not seen the show in years I wasnt even sure what season it was in. Every bit as great as I remembered it and a great surprise getting it as early in the series as I did.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of Season 7 and it's really jarring that they just recast Dr. Weir when Atlantis started. Like, they must have known the spin-off was coming at this point.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
About to start a full rewatch. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Amazon version widescreen from season 1?

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Window of Opportunity last night. In my rewatch it was one of the episodes I was most looking forward to. Having not seen the show in years I wasnt even sure what season it was in. Every bit as great as I remembered it and a great surprise getting it as early in the series as I did.
In the middle of my backswing?!

Oct 25, 2017
ReWatching the first season of Atlantis. Wow, they were lazy/cheap with their props. Yes this pegasus galaxy society managed to create microscopes that you would buy off the shelf at Walmart. Not that I blame them of course.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
ReWatching the first season of Atlantis. Wow, they were lazy/cheap with their props. Yes this pegasus galaxy society managed to create microscopes that you would buy off the shelf at Walmart. Not that I blame them of course.

Never play close attention to the DHD when watching Stargate shows. The giggle around all the time due to people bumping into them.

Like, I get that they need to Stargate and DHD prop to be mobile in order to move from set to set, or location to location. But maybe put some holes on the bottom and use some tent stakes or something to secure it a little bit.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going though a rewatch and the SG1 team are more ruthless then I remember. Daniel killing all the larval goa'uld in S1 and last night I watched the one where they inadvertently help a bunch of Nazis in a bunker.

O'Neill asking to close the Iris so that their leader can't follow them through after they turn the drones on them and then you hearr the splat. Ouch.

Edit.
S04E02
"The Other Side"

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going though a rewatch and the SG1 team are more ruthless then I remember. Daniel killing all the larval goa'uld in S1 and last night I watched the one where they inadvertently help a bunch of Nazis in a bunker.

O'Neill asking to close the Iris so that their leader can't follow them through after they turn the drones on them and then you hearr the splat. Ouch.
Despite the added humor, they were still trying to match the OG movie's atmosphere at the start of the series

I think after "Window of Opportunity" they stopped giving a shit

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the added humor, they were still trying to match the OG movie's atmosphere at the start of the series

I think after "Window of Opportunity" they stopped giving a shit
I think one of the reasons I liked Stargate more than star trek was there they were generallly more pragmatic and less gullible.

Although the amount of time they bring back an alien disease or get possessed or invaded by invisible aliens could have been stopped so many times if they had better procedures around the gate.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the reasons I liked Stargate more than star trek was there they were generallly more pragmatic and less gullible.

Although the amount of time they bring back an alien disease or get possessed or invaded by invisible aliens could have been stopped so many times if they had better procedures around the gate.

Once they found an off-world location, separate from the Alpha Site, that's where the operation should have been run out of. Using Cheyenne Mountain to just ferry people to and from the that site.

Edit.
S04E02
"The Other Side"

Can't have a bunch of Star Trek actors running around. Look what happens when one breaches the one-episode containment.

hsm2mor.png

As a side note, given that Stargate eventually moved to the Sci-Fi channel I am very amused how many future Battlestar Galactica actors show up in minor background roles.

Last edited:

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
It might just be the recast but I always felt like the Weir you first see is a completely different character as well. Like Atlantis Weir always gave me a janeway vibe.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I loved her. The show seriously lost something when she left. I don't know how others felt but for me Carter was an awful replacement. Doctor from Voyager was better but still I missed Weir.
Strong agreement. Carter was also an odd choice in-universe, because the entire point of Weir's leadership was that the expedition was led by a civilian, explicitly not by the military.

Do we know if it was a showrunner decision for Higginson to leave the main cast? It seems like odd self-sabotage, considering how tight-knit the cast were by that point and that she was the non-military POV character for the audience.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
My rewatch has taken me to Atlantis, and I'm doing the chronological watch, flipping back and forth between Atlantis and SG1.

I forgot how boring Sheppard is.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong agreement. Carter was also an odd choice in-universe, because the entire point of Weir's leadership was that the expedition was led by a civilian, explicitly not by the military.

Do we know if it was a showrunner decision for Higginson to leave the main cast? It seems like odd self-sabotage, considering how tight-knit the cast were by that point and that she was the non-military POV character for the audience.
IIRC they just wanted to shake things up and raise the stakes (which they already did w/ another character but I digress); she wasn't looking to leave

also they had carter under contract for another season because SG-1 was canceled unexpectedly

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I only saw scattered episodes here and there back in the day, but recently I've been powering through the entire series for the first time.

I really like this show and I like how it pays attention to its own continuity and how it ties in perfectly with the original movie. Like if they discover something or met someone episodes or a season ago, it can play into a future plot. The gradual backwards engineering of alien tech is also neat with a lot of hiccups along the way seems realistic.

I'm into season 6 now, i had a good cry when Daniel Jackson ascended - couldn't help it when Amanda Tapping started :(, but I guess he's in a better place now of existence. Daniel Jackson has always been the moral compass since Day 1, I feel like he lost so much including his alien wife.

I also LOVE how this is the only show I know of where the Grey Aliens that people claim to see in our reality (but aren't super creepy or indifferent) are part of the SG-1 universe canon in a big way. I just want to hug one of them.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
boy this show spent a lot more time on earth-based intrigue than I remembered

My rewatch has taken me to Atlantis, and I'm doing the chronological watch, flipping back and forth between Atlantis and SG1.

I forgot how boring Sheppard is.
he's not amazing, but I'm not sure I can call Sheppard boring when Lieutenant Ford was in the main cast for some reason

I didn't think he fit in with the rest of the team at all. There was none of the chemistry that Jackson had with everyone.
yeah he was just sort of.... there

no strong feelings about the character one way or the other

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on my big rewatch but really stalling at S9 SG-1 and S2 of SGA. Such a drag for both.

Last edited:

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on my big rewatch but really stalling at S8 SG-1 and S2 of SGA. Such a drag for both.
Agreed on SG-1 S8. I enjoyed Prometheus Unbound, Threads (Daniel's part) and Moebius a lot, but the rest of the season felt very tedious, like the series was spinning its wheels.

The positive was that Atlantis S1 was running concurrently - it really felt like a back-to-basics Stargate series with a compelling new team and mission.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going from SG-1 to Atlantis, I struggled with the complete lack of any moral or ethical grounding. At least it prepared me for Universe in that regard

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed on SG-1 S8. I enjoyed Prometheus Unbound, Threads (Daniel's part) and Moebius a lot, but the rest of the season felt very tedious, like the series was spinning its wheels.

The positive was that Atlantis S1 was running concurrently - it really felt like a back-to-basics Stargate series with a compelling new team and mission.

Oh, my mistake, I'm on S9 of SG-1.

But S8 is also a drag. Has some standout episodes like you've said, but the rest is time wasting. A lot of the show would have been stronger with shorter seasons.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I loved her. The show seriously lost something when she left. I don't know how others felt but for me Carter was an awful replacement. Doctor from Voyager was better but still I missed Weir.

Funny enough, both me and my wife were pretty happy when Weir was off the show. Atlantis became more tolerable when she was off the show and Rodney became a better person.

We loved Carter on the show, for the simple fact that she is just a much better actress. I hated that they dumbed her down, though, just so Rodney could still have a role. Can't have two geniuses I guess.

The Weir from SG1 was so good, though. It's unfortunate they couldn't get that actress to sign on. I guess she didn't want to relocate to Vancouver.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Now onto Season 9. It's pretty much an all new show at this point. New cast works quite well together though. Daniel and Vala are great together.

I also completely forgot that Louis Gossett Jr. showed up in this show.

Also on S2 of Atlantis. I don't know why, but I thought Roanan showed up long before this. He's a fun addition to the cast, but I think a major issue with this show is that none of the character really have that chemistry that SG1's cast did.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now onto Season 9. It's pretty much an all new show at this point. New cast works quite well together though. Daniel and Vala are great together.
It was originally written as a spinoff show actually, titled Stargate Command. But at some point they got cold feet or something and decided to just make it season 9 of Stargate SG-1.