• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Horus guards and Anubis were so fucking cool in the movie, fantastic costumes and fx. Then I saw those snake guards in the first episode of SG-1, and was immediately turned off the whole show.

tumblr_p2w2smh4ot1qj6iwj25.gif

What the fuck is this goofy shit?

vs

2ORgVQr.gif

Oct 28, 2017
So the giant crystal skull aliens. They just left Daniel's grandfather with them and never went back for him. No follow up whatsoever.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
This show is so damn comfy. Just started it up and it brings me back to catching constant reruns on the sci-fi channel.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
to me the Ori went agenst the whole theme of the show. the main villains acted like gods, but werent, where the Ori are in efect gods so its opposite to SG1 core theme for the pervious 8 seasons.
All gods are merely alien entities that may or may not be more intelligent than humans. The term God or Gods is just rhetorical and doesn't delineate what a being actually is.

Stargate SG1 and Atlantis are indeed products of its time. Though series had themes about slavery (Jaffa), False godhood, family/friends loss and politics etc as a whole it is a fun adventure, it captures the feel of movies like Indiana Jones where each episode have new world with new possibilities and dangers. Despite grim situations that both SG and Altantis end up they always had fun and humor about it with right simmer of the seriousness.

It would have been so easy to mess up whole universe by creating new mythologies of the Stargate with new races, friends and enemies but showrunners did amazing job at building world with implementation goa'uld lords, 4 main races, Ancients, replicators etc. So many moving parts that though were not perfectly fit but work together well to make all connected.

Today to make Stargate with same feel is almost impossible without making it feel cheesy or corny, like I can see how it would most likely focused more on politics about who have the right over the gates or how whole military is like about weapons first then people, the SG1/Atlantis and Atlantis had that obviously but military in those series still written more with moral in mind.
I actually think an SG1 type series nowadays would be refreshing and not so much just purely cheesy. I feel like the culture surrounding sci-fi television has gotten to the point where the grim dark, cynical stuff has wrapped its way around into cheesy territory and it's difficult to take seriously anymore, no matter how hard the people who make those types of series try.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are people in this thread really complaining that the helmet CGI (or in this case, lack of) for a 90's sci-fi TV show isn't as cool as the CGI for a huge summer block buster movie?

Really guys. Yeah, no shit it isn't.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
They dropped the helmets after the first few seasons. The Jaffa don't really wear them as the series goes on.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching this for the first time and wtf is up with the compression?

I realize it was aired in SD, but this seriously looks like it was compressed to 180p. There are massive compression artifacts everywhere. And the dark scenes my god. It's just smears of off color pixels.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
All gods are merely alien entities that may or may not be more intelligent than humans. The term God or Gods is just rhetorical and doesn't delineate what a being actually is.

I actually think an SG1 type series nowadays would be refreshing and not so much just purely cheesy. I feel like the culture surrounding sci-fi television has gotten to the point where the grim dark, cynical stuff has wrapped its way around into cheesy territory and it's difficult to take seriously anymore, no matter how hard the people who make those types of series try.
Fucking yes, you can do deep stuff without being heavy, honestly it usually carries more weight when they do.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously watching this for the first time. S1 was a slog so I skipped it, but reaching mid-season 2, not only is it getting good, I'm really enjoying it. Watching the Fifth Race looked like it was gonna be a bad Nth Degree ripoff, but became a lore expanding ep by the end.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first episode is so wild with the nudity and creepy sex slave plot compared to the family friendly romp the show eventually became.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching this for the first time and wtf is up with the compression?

I realize it was aired in SD, but this seriously looks like it was compressed to 180p. There are massive compression artifacts everywhere. And the dark scenes my god. It's just smears of off color pixels.
I noticed it looked bad last night, but I don't recall how bad it was on Prime. Anyone want to compare?

I prefer to use the Netflix version just for ease of use and skip intro, though.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed it looked bad last night, but I don't recall how bad it was on Prime. Anyone want to compare?

I prefer to use the Netflix version just for ease of use and skip intro, though.

I didn't realize it was on Hulu.

Just checked it out there and the quality is much better.

I wonder why Netflix is using such a low quality source.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I agree. Firefly could've been that.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
They also dropped the fact that a trip through the gate makes you cold and get frost all over your body
I wrote that off as a side effect of Earth not having a functioning DHD and having to dial using their computer technology. I don't think the Ancients wanted beings travelling in such discomfort.

They did just that. The freezing effect seemed to have been caused because Abydos and Earth had been drifting further and further apart, so the gate address was becoming increasingly incorrect, straining the connection. After finding the Abydos cartouche and accounting for stellar drift they are able to make better connections that avoid the chilling effect.

Stargate Universe introduced the freezing effect again when Icarus Base dialed Destiny, half the universe away. Shitty connection made for a much more violent gate transition.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Cool.

now pick up that new Stargate series, Netflix, you cowards!
Why, they'd only drop it again in 3 years.

They still havn't worked out that constantly canning shit hurts them long term. I have no interest in getting invested in anything Netflix does because they don;t all get saved by someone else.

Scrubs always carried more weight than House, ER, or Greys
but when cutthroat bitch dies tho.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Why, they'd only drop it again in 3 years.

They still havn't worked out that constantly canning shit hurts them long term. I have no interest in getting invested in anything Netflix does because they don;t all get saved by someone else.

Hopefully Bezos is a Stargate fan too.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They also dropped the fact that a trip through the gate makes you cold and get frost all over your body

They call this out in 'Red Sky', S5E5. It's down to stellar drift, and Carter uses her science whizz to fix it in S1. It also fixed being thrown out at top speed.

That issue comes back in a later episode, can't remember which though.

Oct 28, 2017
Watching Season 9 at the moment. How does everyone feel about the Ori? I actually quite enjoyed this arc and it feels so different to have such an overwhelmingly powerful enemy. I know a lot of people dislike the Ori but I'd say I'm a fan all in all. As for the new cast I dislike Mitchell but Vala is great.

Hallowed are the Ori

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Season 9 at the moment. How does everyone feel about the Ori? I actually quite enjoyed this arc and it feels so different to have such an overwhelmingly powerful enemy. I know a lot of people dislike the Ori but I'd say I'm a fan all in all. As for the new cast I dislike Mitchell but Vala is great.

Hallowed are the Ori
At first i thought they were a weak gasp of a writers running out of things to do. But it was refreshing to see Earth take some Ls and really fight for their lives.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

Hallowed are the Ori
It was a nice Outside Context Problem that Earth dealt with effectively in the end, but the Ori never had the charisma and charm of the Goa'uld and I missed the further exploration of mythology in the show.

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
I wanted to see Earth lead the way and fight more outside threats of the galaxy after the Ori. Its why I really want a new show continuing the timeline.

also I wanted to see how the asgard Super repository is handling the integration into earth society

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Recently decided to watch the series as a family thing after finishing DS9, and I had fond memories of it even though I only watched a few seasons back in the days.

I guess I had only seen the edited version though, because we got quite the surprise in rhe pilot hehe.
Is there more full frontal nudity in the coming eps? I don't really mind unless it's full on sex, but my wife was quite shocked hehe (and our 10 and 12 yr old boys, though they seemed quite interested for scientific purposes).

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Recently decided to watch the series as a family thing after finishing DS9, and I had fond memories of it even though I only watched a few seasons back in the days.

I guess I had only seen the edited version though, because we got quite the surprise in rhe pilot hehe.
Is there more full frontal nudity in the coming eps? I don't really mind unless it's full on sex, but my wife was quite shocked hehe (and our 10 and 12 yr old boys, though they seemed quite interested for scientific purposes).

Nope, no more full frontal.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it was a demand by Showtime. The producers released a recut of the pilot on DVD in 2009 that removed the nudity amongst other changes.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to see Earth lead the way and fight more outside threats of the galaxy after the Ori. Its why I really want a new show continuing the timeline.

also I wanted to see how the asgard Super repository is handling the integration into earth society
Honetly the only way I can see a series set after the end of what we already know is if theres been an event to remove all the tech or aliens that make it obsolete to a degree.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Atlantis ep where Mckay gets trapped underwater was outstanding
Absolutely, anytime McKay gets knocked down a peg is hilarious, but here where he's doing it to himself is well executed.

Shoot, SG1's Window of Opportunity plays the time loop for laughs, but twists the knife a fair bit for how being stuck like that would drive you crazy.
but when cutthroat bitch dies tho.
I don't know which character it references, but it may not hit as hard as Ben's last episode, or even the end of the fourth episode* where the setup a 1/3 statistic at the start of the episode and go 3/3 to show that bad days happen.