• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've waited a long time. I want Furlings.
be careful what you wish for
ulcresP.jpg

😆
:P

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Does anyone else just hate this show? Literally NCIS in space to me lol.

My friends have forced me to watch I just don't get the appeal. If y'all enjoy it more power to you I just feel like a crazy person seeing all the praise it gets here.

That's how I feel about it. I did like the original movie though. That was good.

Feb 16, 2018
it was on there about 10 years ago
i didn't get too far before dropping it, but it's nice to have things like this back on there

i miss old netflix. was able to try out lots of finished works before they shifted focus to mostly newer/incomplete shows

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017

My friends have forced me to watch I just don't get the appeal. If y'all enjoy it more power to you I just feel like a crazy person seeing all the praise it gets here.
I started watching through it a couple months ago. I'm on season 6 now. I'm somewhat familiar with it having seen it a little bit back in the day.

It doesn't seem anything at all like a procedural, so I'm not sure where that comparison comes from. It has an overarching plot mixed with episodic content. I've noticed it actually has pretty strong continuity in some ways, in how events and characters from seasons before show up and become relevant in small or large ways again. It definitely has some of the standard episodic sci-fi tropes or stories. I'd compare it more to Star Trek than anything else, but more lighthearted/adventure focused.

One thing I've enjoyed about it is how they're constantly facing existential risks where they're at the edge of the extinction of humanity.

It's also oddly refreshing in that it isn't constant melodrama like so many contemporary sci-fi series. It almost feels sort of like a progenitor of Marvel/superhero film style. A little ahead of its time in a way.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame we'll most likely never see a Blu-ray boxset release of SG-1. Simply too expensive to remaster as I've heard. The remastered TNG was a litmus test and it sold rather poorly, so no DS9 remaster either.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished a rewatch last year before the pandemic, I'm willing to watch it again for some uplifting moments considering 2020. Though I wonder if the last 3 seasons will be in HD. I made sure to sprinkle Farscape in between to coincide with the Ben Browder/Claudia Black seasons.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome get, I have the DVDs but will watch streaming day 1. One of my favorite shows, its cheesy and goofy but its all done with fun and is a nice counterpoint to the "grim dark" scifi we mostly get today.

Hope this accelerates reboot/etc plans, and Netflix sees it as a hot property and picks it up in some way.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Can we expect a HD revision and 16:9?
Seasons 8-10 which were filmed in higher quality, so should look fine, but seasons 1-7 no. There have been upscaled, widescreen versions of those in the past and they've looked like crap.

An HD remaster of the whole show would cost a lot of money, and the demand simply isn't there.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
I love Stargate. It was just fun to watch. It never took itself too seriously and had a lot of fun poking fun at itself. Its my comfort watch.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even mind the last few seasons. The Ori were unrelenting shit but Vala and Cameron were nice additions. I kinda treated those seasons as SG-2 though

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Unlikely. They released a new cut of the pilot on DVD ten years ago that removed the nudity and made other changes, so that's the version that will most likely be used.

This is likely correct - last time SG-1 was on Netflix, the first episode was the remaster. Although I don't remember the nudity in the original!

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a show that, I think, got worse over time. It started off pretty well and had some very cool ideas but the show probably should have ended with season five when Apophis died, rather than bringing in Anubis. It's not that Anubis was bad, per se, but sometimes shows go on for a little too long.

Then of course the show completely shit the bed after season eight by bringing in the Farscape duo (who were never allowed to use the chemistry they shared in Farscape itself) and the new baddies, the Ori. Now that was some of the worst television I have ever watched.

Kinda makes me glad Stargate Atlantis was much, much shorter.

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I would love a new Stargate show, what I really want is a Stargate game. You have no idea how excited I was for Stargate SG1 The Alliance.

It was the very first video game I ever followed pre-release. From announcement and its very first screenshots. Every new bit of info. Every preview. This game is what introduced me to internet game forums. I was so excited for it I can't quite put it in to words.

The day it got cancelled broke my heart. I didn't want to believe it. I actually signed an online petition to save the game and I tried to convince people at school to sign it with me. It was quite a while before I accepted the reality of the situation.

The game looked good! And now not only is The Alliance never going to see the light of day, but especially with the state of the games industry today it's very clear that we will NEVER get a proper Stargate game. Even if we get another show, we aint getting a game alongside it. Licensed games don't happen anymore outside of mobile garbage. Exceptions for mega popular stuff like Star Wars or superheroes of course.

Even Star Trek hasn't had a game in forever. Bridge Crew is basically all we've had and that's a glorified demo. I love it, but it's essentially a demo for a full game we'll never get. And even that is something we'll never get for Stargate.

TLDR: I want a Stargate game and I'm sad we'll never get one.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's a show that, I think, got worse over time. It started off pretty well and had some very cool ideas but the show probably should have ended with season five when Apophis died, rather than bringing in Anubis. It's not that Anubis was bad, per se, but sometimes shows go on for a little too long.

Then of course the show completely shit the bed after season eight by bringing in the Farscape duo (who were never allowed to use the chemistry they shared in Farscape itself) and the new baddies, the Ori. Now that was some of the worst television I have ever watched.

Kinda makes me glad Stargate Atlantis was much, much shorter.

I loved the Anubis stuff. Threads is one of my fave eps.

Threads should have been the last ep though

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I've been meaning to watch this in its entirety for a long time. So I'm excited. Only really remember watching the first few seasons on and off.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's a shame we'll most likely never see a Blu-ray boxset release of SG-1. Simply too expensive to remaster as I've heard. The remastered TNG was a litmus test and it sold rather poorly, so no DS9 remaster either.

It's a shame because the Remastered TNG is fantastic, really giving the show new life in HD. But yeah there's a number of shows from that era that'll be stuck in SD for a long time, or get awful remasters like Buffy.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been a huge sci-fi fan, and yet I've never taken the time to watch any of the Stargate TV series. I've always wanted to but never made the time or effort to do it.

Maybe NOW is the time.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Another thing I've been enjoying watching this series is how some of the villains ends come about. There's this interesting sense of going against the usual 'epicness' that has become so stale over the years. I think of when Sokar gets killed and never actually meets SG1 or when Teal'c takes revenge against Tanith in the first few minutes of an episode by blasting him and then the episode goes on to be an unrelated plot. Kept things less predictable in a way. Even Apophis continually slithered away like the snake he was until finally meeting his end. It was like the series defies the traditional payoffs that are commonplace nowadays. Almost like it denied the villains the grandeur they projected about themselves as a species.